• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • 79 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:fertility solutions

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hi Guys, So after failing my first IVF cycle my RE has recommended FET. I have to wait about two weeks for my insurance to approve or deny. Regarding IVF - they approved three cycles per year with a max of 8 attemps. Meds were not covered. Because this is going to be a lonnnnggg 2 weeks I'm wondering if anyone can advise if they had similar coverage with IVF and FET. I am nervous that they will cover no FET but will cover IVF. Thank you SO much in advance.

#2 Elizabeth22

Elizabeth22
  • Global 100+
  • 583 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Obviously it will depend on your policy but I can't imagine an insurance company covering IVF and not FETs, as assuming embryos are available FETs would be significantly cheaper for the insurance company. Also some policies consider subsequent FETs as part of the IVF cycle.  

#3 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • 79 posts
  • My Clinic:fertility solutions

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

Obviously it will depend on your policy but I can't imagine an insurance company covering IVF and not FETs, as assuming embryos are available FETs would be significantly cheaper for the insurance company. Also some policies consider subsequent FETs as part of the IVF cycle.  

THANK YOU!!!

#4 SD11

SD11
  • Global 100+
  • 205 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Can I ask what kind of policy / or type of job you have that covers IVF??? That's amazing!! 

• Bre likes this
April 2017 - IVF #1 - 2 embryos
June 2017 FET #1 - BFN
Sept 2017 FET #2 - BFP!
Sept 2019 - IVF #2 - 2 embryos
Sept 2019 - FET #3 - BFN
Aug 2020 - FET #4 - BFN
Oct 2020 - IVF #3 - 4 embryos
Dec 2020 - FET #5 - BFN
March 2021 - FET #6 - BFP!

#5 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

The original poster is in the US, where some (by no means all) states have mandated that employer insurance programs provide some level of reproductive services coverage.  What's covered depends on the size of the employer and the actual state mandate but it may be that that's the insurance she's got.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#6 Elizabeth22

Elizabeth22
  • Global 100+
  • 583 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

To add to Mouse's explanation, some people just have really great insurance in non-state-mandated states.

• mouse likes this

#7 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

Illinois requires private insurance to cover 3 IVF cycles.  

Massachusetts also has excellent coverage.  Even donor egg cycles are covered there.  

#8 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

Although rare (and not insurance coverage as is mentioned for the U.S. above), there may be a few companies in Canada that will provide funds for IVF. I know McCarthy Tetrault (law firm) provides $12,000 for IVF as a benefit for employees if required.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#9 Bre

Bre
  • Global 100+
  • 273 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

That's great! Any coverage is a bonus!

After our first failed IVF in March, we found out shortly after that nothing was covered, they sent us a cheque for $20 lol We had to pay all out of pocket! Like many others im sure!

I'm with newtothis11 , what is your policy if you don't mind me asking!

That is excellent news! :)

35, Endometriosis, TTC 5 years

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FET, IVF, Coverage, Insurance, Help, Question