7 replies to this topic

#1 Bay

Bay
  • Global 100+
  • 301 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:New Life Fertility

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi. I'm very new here. I was hoping for some positive stories from anyone who had a miscarriage from ivf but a BFP on their second one.

My husband and I have been ttc for a while and after countless iui's moved on to IVF. I had about 22 eggs retrieved and froze them all (even though about 10 are not good quality). I finally got a BFP. I had bleeding at about 6 weeks and went to emergency where I saw a heartbeat. I saw another heartbeat a few days later (6w 2d)at my fertility clinic. Unfortunately, at my 7 week ultrasound, no heartbeat was detected and it actually for smaller.

I had to take misoprostol which worked approx. 11 hours after taking it. I actually saw the fetus come out which was so heartbreaking. I'm waiting for the bleeding to stop and for my next period to come so I can do another transfer.

Anyone have similar experience? Advice? Will it work the second time?

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

I am really sorry for your loss :(  I hope that you have been able to take the time that you need to grieve.

No one can tell you that you will get pregnant the second time or if it will work, but plenty of women have had miscarriages and gone on to have successful pregnancies.  I hope that you are one of them!

Best of luck to you on your journey!

• nervus optimist likes this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi Bay - I am so so sorry for your miscarriage and so few people outside this particular circle understand the heartbreak of losing a baby after ivf. Take the time you need to grieve and recover. I too lost my first pregnancy after seeing the heartbeat and was naive in not even preparing myself for that possibility. At the time I felt like it was impossible and I would never have a baby but my second cycle has produced three of them so far. There are certainly no guarantees in this painful world of infertility but there are many women here who found success after loss.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#4 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. 

When it happened to me I was completely consumed by grief, and by the need for research. Studies do show that people who have an early PG loss are more likely to have success in future cycles, but as others have said, it is not a guarantee by any means. The cruel reality of infertility is that there are no guarantees, but there are lots of success stories, and lots of miracle babies.

My advice, if you want to hear it, is take one day at a time. Be kind to yourself. This is still very very raw. And if/when you're ready, try again. I took long breaks between trying to give myself the strength to try again. And it was still super hard. Others prefer to try as soon as they are able. Only you will know what is right for you.

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#5 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

With so many frozen eggs would you consider doing PGS (pre genetic screening) to see which ones are genetically normal? It might be one way ahead for you. And good luck. While no one can make any guarantees I'm hoping that you have some future success. I've seen it here many times (myself included).

See about me page.

#6 Bay

Bay
  • Global 100+
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Thank you guys for your encouragement and kind words. I'm trying to be optimistic and more patient.
As for the PGS testing Quandry, it's so expensive and even then, they can't tell you 100% if the egg is normal. There's always a catch! I had an appointment with an embriologist this week so I have to weigh the cost and benefits. It's $1000 for 1 egg and $1500 for 2... money money money...is what the clinic wants.

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thank you guys for your encouragement and kind words. I'm trying to be optimistic and more patient.
As for the PGS testing Quandry, it's so expensive and even then, they can't tell you 100% if the egg is normal. There's always a catch! I had an appointment with an embriologist this week so I have to weigh the cost and benefits. It's $1000 for 1 egg and $1500 for 2... money money money...is what the clinic wants.

Bay we took a look at the cost as well and for us it made sense to test even from the cost perspective due to FET transfer and medication costs. Just consider that. And also the emotional cost of a miscarriage.

#8 Bay

Bay
  • Global 100+
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

I spoke to my husband and he believes we should do another ivf round without testing...in hopes it was a one off. And IF it happens again, we will opt for the test. Thanks guys for your support! Not something I've said in a while but I can't wait to get my period so I can do the second round.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Failed ivf, Miscarried first ivf fet