IVF Receipts for taxes - Page 2 - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

IVF Receipts for taxes

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 RosySkies

RosySkies
  • Global 100+
  • 171 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

kayte1 - ugh that sounds so stressful trying to get the info from your clinics. Since its proving difficult to get a list of your appointment date and times, it might be a good idea to explain to the auditor the issues youre having getting the lists. Maybe they dont actually need the info to be directly from the clinic. Do you have your own records of which days you had to travel? Maybe you can create a timeline for the auditor and label each travel date with the reason you had to be at the clinic that day. And then maybe a general letter from each clinic explaining generally how often you would need to be at the clinic for a typical cycle, if the auditor really wants something from the clinic.

Me - 33   DH - 35

Started TTC Jun 2013

Diagnosis: Low sperm count & motility

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 - Antagonist Protocol

18 eggs retrieved all mature  ICSI'd 16 eggs → 12 fertilized  10 blastocysts

froze 9, transferred 1 fresh embryo - BFN

FET #1 - Oct 2017 - transferred 1 embryo - BFP!! 

our son was born July 2018

FET #2 - Mar 2020 - transferred 1 embryo - chemical (beta = 5)

FET #3 - Jun 2020 - transferred 1 embryo - BFN

FET #4 - Oct 2020 - transferred 1 embryo - BFN

FET #5 - Dec 2020 - transferred 1 embryo - chemical (beta = 42)

#27 Hopeful32

Hopeful32
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Mullerian Agenesis
    -----
    1st IVF (IVF Canada) - Sept 2016
    No birth control pills, just stim & trigger
    13 follicles
    11 eggs retrieved (10 mature, ICSI for all)
    9 fertilized
    7 viable 5-day blastocysts (all frozen)
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:IVF Canada, OFC

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

Kayte1, can you just estimate this info yourself to give to the CRA, and provide them with the email chains showing your attempts to get this info from the clinics? Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to have to pay the clinics for this info. This way, you can meet the deadline and show that you've done what you can on your end, and CRA can compel the info from the clinics directly if they really need to.

#28 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

I'm with Rosyskies that if the clinic is being completely uncooperative that you will have to provide your own list of specific reasons why you went to the clinic. In the end the CRA may not approve, but there seems to be nothing else that you can do. I know for other medical appointments I always had the doctor write on a prescription pad that I had been in to see him/her.

The perspective of the CRA is that they don't want people saying they were somewhere when they weren't to just use it as a tax grab. It is unfortunate that you are stuck in the middle with valid reasons for travel.

#29 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

If we are using a surrogate and donated embryo, can we still claim a tax credit based on the expenses incurred?  I know that we cannot claim our surrogate's reimbursements, but what about treatment? 

Thanks!

Advised Not to Get Pregnant: Circa 1994 or 1995 (I was FIFTEEN!!!)

Married: August 2010

Started Adoption Process:  January 2013

Started Researching Surrogacy: August 2016

Found Embryos: November 2016

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's  Second Transfer: October 2017 (one FET) - BFN

Surrogate's Third Transfer: December 2017 (double transfer) - BFN

Moving on to donor eggs...

New donor embryos available!!! Trying with them

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

Harmony tests show that we are low risk and we're Team babyboy.gif

#30 FMandAM

FMandAM
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC in Canada, Reprogenesis in the CR

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

TK123, I've claimed acupuncture before. Here is a list of the medical expenses you can claim (there are different expenses depending on which province you live in):

https://www.canada.c...tax-return.html

If the link doesn't work or you can't copy/paste (am I the only one who can't on this site?), you can google:

cra acupuncture medical expense lines 330 331 and click the canada.ca link that comes up.

DE IVF overseas in Jan 2017 = BFN with no frosties

DE IVF overseas in July 2017 = ET cancelled because of poor lining, DH went without me and we froze both blasts that made it to day 5.

Mock cycle in August 2017 = by George I think we've got it! Lining responded well to a new protocol, FET scheduled for September 2017.

FET overseas September 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining. This is getting really frustrating now. Change of protocol again.

FET overseas October 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining.

FET overseas November 2017 = tried doing a natural cycle FET but a surprise O on CD6 cancelled those plans.

FET overseas December 2017 = natural cycle FET cancelled, again due to an early O (CD10) and thin lining.

FET overseas January 2018 = cancelled due to a 31mm cyst on left ovary.

FET overseas March 2018 = lining reached 6.4mm on a combo of pentoxifylline, estradiol valerate injections and Estrace. Trilaminar so despite being a bit thin the doctor said let's go. Flew solo to the CR for the transfer and found out my lining had grown to 7.4mm between my last u/s and the transfer date! Woohoo, go me! BFN 12dp5dt.

FET overseas May 2018 = lining reached 6mm on low-dose Gonal-F and the doctor insisted on going ahead with the transfer, despite there being no dominant follicle yet so there was no chance I would ovulate. On transfer day my lining was a disappointing 7.1mm. Transferred our last frostie (5AB hatching blast) on May 25, BFN on 13dp5dt.

Nothing left in the freezer, the bank account or the emotional reserves; this is the end of the pregnancy road for us.

#31 FMandAM

FMandAM
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Kayte, your experience sounds heinous! I'd definitely write to the first clinic and nicely remind them that you've spent a huge amount of money with them and it's not too much to ask for a simple printout.

For the second clinic, you could try calling CRA and telling them about the situation and asking what they think you should do... When they sent me my request for information over the summer I panicked because life was bonkers and I totally did NOT have time to gather everything together so I called them and they were actually super reasonable. They gave me an extension on the deadline and very nicely explained that I wasn't in trouble, they just needed more info. Otherwise I would do what the others have suggested and print out all your emails asking the clinic for the information and then make your own timeline with appointment dates and times for the CRA.

DE IVF overseas in July 2017 = ET cancelled because of poor lining, DH went without me and we froze both blasts that made it to day 5.

Mock cycle in August 2017 = by George I think we've got it! Lining responded well to a new protocol, FET scheduled for September 2017.

FET overseas September 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining. This is getting really frustrating now. Change of protocol again.

FET overseas November 2017 = tried doing a natural cycle FET but a surprise O on CD6 cancelled those plans.

FET overseas December 2017 = natural cycle FET cancelled, again due to an early O (CD10) and thin lining.

FET overseas March 2018 = lining reached 6.4mm on a combo of pentoxifylline, estradiol valerate injections and Estrace. Trilaminar so despite being a bit thin the doctor said let's go. Flew solo to the CR for the transfer and found out my lining had grown to 7.4mm between my last u/s and the transfer date! Woohoo, go me! BFN 12dp5dt.

FET overseas May 2018 = lining reached 6mm on low-dose Gonal-F and the doctor insisted on going ahead with the transfer, despite there being no dominant follicle yet so there was no chance I would ovulate. On transfer day my lining was a disappointing 7.1mm. Transferred our last frostie (5AB hatching blast) on May 25, BFN on 13dp5dt.

Nothing left in the freezer, the bank account or the emotional reserves; this is the end of the pregnancy road for us.

#32 kayte1

kayte1
  • Global 100+
  • 228 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

Thank you so much for commiserating with me! :) I wanted to make sure I'm not just waaaayyyy too bitter and jaded.

So we already have a major extension - this audit has been going on for... 5 months? We had already sent a list of the times we went to each clinic to support our mileage claims. But they want the clinics to verify it.

I'm thinking I will write a message to the first clinic (the one I liked) and maybe call the police on the other clinic. Kidding. Ha. Kind of. Maybe we should ask the CRA what to do in this situation. I would ask THEM to call and demand verification - except there's no way for the CRA to get through to them, either!

#33 FMandAM

FMandAM
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Good grief! Could your tax representative contact the clinic(s) on your behalf? I would still call the CRA and ask what to do because at the very least they'll then have your call on file. You shouldn't be penalized for your clinic's lack of response.

I was also thinking that maybe you could send a list of your appointment dates and times to the clinic by registered mail and ask your doctor or the office manager to simply sign a statement at the bottom of your list that says they are in agreement and that your list matches their records? Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to make it easy for them to mail back to you (and include a letter stating "please reply by X date") and then cross your fingers that they don't just shred it upon opening. ;)

Worst-case scenario I believe you can remove the items from your return and then claim them in the next tax year, which will give you extra time to gather the info you need. Ask your tax representative or do a little research before going that route, but I'm pretty sure medical expenses can be deferred from year-to-year, though I'm not sure what the rules are if you've already claimed them once and had them "rejected."

#34 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

I just wanted to update this forum with our donor tax receipts. We filed our taxes the old-fashioned way (paper) for the 2017 tax year as we had a very significant medical receipt component due to our donor egg costs. It took them almost three months for DH's return as we filed the medical costs under his return, but they accepted all of our medical expenses including donor eggs from USA, shipping/import costs of these eggs, genetic testing for DH, and then all of the other IVF-type expenses. We got a huge refund and because it took them so long, they even gave us interest (pretty bad interest rate, but hey, we won't complain).

Included with our receipts was an itemized cost justification and included a letter from our RE that we needed to go with donor eggs in order to conceive. I had looked up the income tax law and quoted it to further justify our claim:

"These amounts have been submitted as fertility expenses under the medical expense credit of the Income Tax Act Part I, Division E, Subdivision A, Section 118.2 (2.2)."

• SunshineTTC likes this

#35 JIC

JIC
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Interesting. I was told that theybwould limit amount so it really didnt help my on my taxes. Going to speak to my accoutant to see where they put the expenses.

Nov 2016 Feb 2017 4 failed iui

Mar 2017 IVF 3 pgs abnormal embryos

Oct 2017 IVF 1 pgs normal embryo

Dec 2017 FET  6.5 mc

May 2018 Donor FET 5 week mc

Feb 2019 Donor FET 5.5 week mc

#36 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

JIC our medical expenses were over $70,000 and all of them got accepted. It definitely helped us with our taxes. 

• SunshineTTC likes this

#37 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Ours were close to 20k and we received a much larger than normal refund!
  • snryan37 likes this

See about me page.

#38 JIC

JIC
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

So I learned they did use the full amount on taxes, and it helped lower the amount I owed. I have a f/t and a p/t job. P/t is my own business and did better then in previous years and didnt realize it bumped me up a tax bracket which I wasnt expecting.

Nov 2016 Feb 2017 4 failed iui

Mar 2017 IVF 3 pgs abnormal embryos

Oct 2017 IVF 1 pgs normal embryo

Dec 2017 FET  6.5 mc

May 2018 Donor FET 5 week mc

Feb 2019 Donor FET 5.5 week mc

#39 Hopeful32

Hopeful32
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Mullerian Agenesis
    -----
    1st IVF (IVF Canada) - Sept 2016
    No birth control pills, just stim & trigger
    13 follicles
    11 eggs retrieved (10 mature, ICSI for all)
    9 fertilized
    7 viable 5-day blastocysts (all frozen)
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:IVF Canada, OFC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:43 AM

So I learned they did use the full amount on taxes, and it helped lower the amount I owed. I have a f/t and a p/t job. P/t is my own business and did better then in previous years and didnt realize it bumped me up a tax bracket which I wasnt expecting.

If you run your own business, it seems like you can structure it to have a healthcare savings account, where costs like IVF can be paid pre-tax.