• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I am posting this brochure for a study involving genetic investigation of pregnancies from IVF and ICSI. If you are interested please let me know. I will send you more information regarding the consent form.

Thanks,

Dr. Sai Ma

Attached Files

Are you an IVF-ICSI patient (of any clinic)? You're invited to join a study of genetic outcomes in pregnancies conceived by In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) with Dr Sai Ma, PhD.

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Dr Ma,
Thanks for the information on a very interesting and worthy study. I'd guess that next to worries about succeeding, worries about the health and development of the baby is the prime concern for most of us going through ART.

I'm just now in the two week wait in my first IUI but would certainly be interested if I was unsuccessful and decided to try IVF. Can you provide a little more info on your exclusion criteria - age, location, pre-existing conditions/genetic disorders and so on?

Thanks for your efforts to fill the gaps in what's known and for participating here. :flowers: Good luck with your work!

Edited by mouse, 14 April 2008 - 10:46 PM.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#3 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

Thank you for your reply and support. I appreciate for your interests in our study. There are no exclusion criteria. This study will include all pregnant women conceived by IVF and ICSI. However, participants will provide me the personal information, clinical and IVF treatment information after consent. There are forms to fill in. In terms of location, if participating in BC, Canada, we will contact the attending physician directly to collect the samples. If participants are located outside BC, participants will arrange the shipment for the samples and we will cover the shipping cost. Also, we will contact your physician directly if it's possible. Alternately, we will provide you a letter to your physician regarding the methods of collection of samples.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks you again for your support.
Sai
Are you an IVF-ICSI patient (of any clinic)? You're invited to join a study of genetic outcomes in pregnancies conceived by In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) with Dr Sai Ma, PhD.

#4 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

I am interested to participate in the study, but I have a few question.
1. If I decide to participate in this study , I have to donate all the cord blood or I still can do cord blood banking?
2. Whathever the clinic finds out from the planecta , they will share this information with me or not?
thanks
ope
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#5 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

If you decide to participate in this study, you can donate cord blood for research and do the banking at the same time because we only need 5-10ml cord blood for the study.

Once you consent, information will be treated confidentially. I only release the result to you, not to your clinic.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sai

#6 alyj

alyj
  • 289 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional Fertility Program

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

Dr. Ma,

What tests do you do in the case of a m/c if the tissue is collected?

me: 37
DH: 36
Male factor, probably DOR and I am a poor responder to IVF drugs

IVF#1 with ICSI spring 2006 - 3 eggs retrieved, one transferred - BFN
IVF#2 started sept 19th
ER sept 29th - 11 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved
ET oct 2nd - 2 embryos transferred
BFP oct 16th!!! Beta 1117
first u/s Nov 2nd, one little bean!!!
DS was born June 22nd, 2007!!!!!

FET April 2009 - cancelled, embryos did not survive thaw
IVF#3 September 2009 - cancelled - poor response
IVF#4 November 2009 - one embryo survived to day 3 transfer - BFN
IVF#5 July 2010 - will be using estrogen priming
FET October 6, 2010 - this is it
BFP October 22!!!! Beta 2093
November 8 - we're having twins:) Wow!!!
Babies due June 26, 2011
February 7 - lost our little twin, Baby B had no heartbeat at 20 weeks

June 8, 2011 - DD was born healthy and her twin brother was born to Heaven

After seven long years consumed by infertility I am finally moving forward, wishing my son was with me, but grateful for the two children I have here with me.

I credit the advice I received on this forum both from members and from experts, my infertility doctor and my push for the estrogen priming protocol for the family that I have today.

#7 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

Dr. Ma,

What tests do you do in the case of a m/c if the tissue is collected?

There are two steps involved in the study:

1. We study the chromosomes in the abortus to determine if the abortus contains abnormal chromosome which is the cause of miscarriage.
2. Furthermore, we will look at the origin of the abnormality to determine the source of abnormality, either from the sperm or from the egg. That requires the couple blood sample.

Thanks,
Sai

#8 danalori

danalori
  • 377 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi Dr. Ma,

When the cord blood is collected is it immediately after the birth, or is there a delay? I have heard that it can be beneficial to the baby for the cord blood to be allowed to pulsate for a while after birth before it is clamped and cut. Is this the case?
me: age 36; DH: age 36
Male Factor
IVF #1 June 2 - BFN
FET Sept.14/07 - 2 8 cell embryos transferred
Beta on Sept.28/07 - 918 BFP!!
Beta #2 Oct. 5/07 - 19,584

It's a GIRL!! Ava Lily, born June 13, 2008
FET September 2009 BFN
Fresh IVF/ICSI cycle November 2009
BFN
*thud* Natural BFP December 2010
8 week u/s - one perfect bean with a vibrant heartbeat = *love*

#9 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi Dr. Ma,

When the cord blood is collected is it immediately after the birth, or is there a delay? I have heard that it can be beneficial to the baby for the cord blood to be allowed to pulsate for a while after birth before it is clamped and cut. Is this the case?

Dear Danalori:

Normally, the umbilical cord will be clamped immdiately after birth, however, if mom requires, it only allow one minute delay under the condition the baby is normal. There is no evidence that baby will be beneficial from delayed clamping of cord.

The cord blood left in the cord and the placenta are the leftover materials after the birth. Normally, those materias will be discarded and can be used for the study of genetic outcome of newborn babies from IVF/ICSI if patient consent. Cord blood is not collected immediately after the birth, and can be collected within 30 minutes.

Take care,
Sai

PS. Attached is the picture of placenta

Attached Files

#10 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

Dr Sai Mai,
I am hitting 33 weeks this week and I 'd like to participate in the study. I have read the broshure, but I could not find the conset form . Could you sent me a form we need to fill up.
Thanks
Ope
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#11 Guest_ceska_holkacz_*

Guest_ceska_holkacz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Hi Dr. Ma,

My husband emailed you back in May to say that we were interested in participating in your study. Before we finalize our choice I'd like to know if you are still interested if we are going to bank our baby's stem cells. We have made the decision to do so since my husband is now a Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma survivor and this baby was diagnosed at 17 weeks pregnancy with hydronephrosis of her left kidney.

Please le me know.

K

#12 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hi Dr. Ma,

My husband emailed you back in May to say that we were interested in participating in your study. Before we finalize our choice I'd like to know if you are still interested if we are going to bank our baby's stem cells. We have made the decision to do so since my husband is now a Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma survivor and this baby was diagnosed at 17 weeks pregnancy with hydronephrosis of her left kidney.

Please le me know.

K

The study will go on for a while. You can still store your baby's cord blood and provide portion of cord blood for the study (5-10ml). I will send you the consent form soon.

Take care,
Sai

#13 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

Dr Sai Mai,
I am hitting 33 weeks this week and I 'd like to participate in the study. I have read the broshure, but I could not find the conset form . Could you sent me a form we need to fill up.
Thanks
Ope

Dear Ope:

Thank you for consideration of participating in our study. I will send you the consent form soon.
Sai

#14 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Dr Sai Mai,
Thanks
Ope

Dear Ope:

Thank you for consideration of participating in our study. I will send you the consent form soon.
Sai

Dear Ope:

Would you please let me know if you have received the consent form I sent to you earlier.
My email: sai@interchange.ubc.ca

Take care,
Sai

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

I am now 4w4d pregnant from an IVF w/ ICSI. We are interested in joining your study, however, we are in the Hamilton, Ontario area. Could you send us more info regarding your study?

Thanks!

#16 colsxjack

colsxjack
  • 27 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:First Steps

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Could a person participate if they used anonymous donor sperm?
DW 29 - PCOS
Me 35 - Spermless
trying to conceive with donor sperm for 1 yr.

10/07-04/08 -- 4 IUI's 3 with clomid and 1 with injectables all BFN

07/26/08 -- IVF#1
22 eggs, 20 fertilized, 10 made it to blast
transferred 1 and froze 9 -- BFN

10/06/08 -- FET 2 blasts
10/19/08 -- HPT BFP
10/20/08 -- Beta #1 = 497
10/23/08 -- Beta #2 = 1152
10/26/08 -- Beta #3 = 4707
10/29/08 -- Beta #4 = 11582
11/03/08 -- U/S #1 = praying for 1 good heartbeat.
Great heartbeat, great size, great everything
12/02/08 -- 1st appointment with midwife
midwife is great
12/08/08 -- 2nd ultrasound -- everything looks good hrtbeat 172
01/30/09 -- anatomy scan
great anatomy
06/24/09 -- baby due
July 10, 2009 - healthy 9lb 6oz 21inch baby girl born...2w2days past due

#17 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hello,

I am now 4w4d pregnant from an IVF w/ ICSI. We are interested in joining your study, however, we are in the Hamilton, Ontario area. Could you send us more info regarding your study?

Thanks!

It should be fine even you are outside of Vancouver. Sample collection and shipment can be arranged.
Sai

PS. I will send you the consent form via your personal email.

#18 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

Could a person participate if they used anonymous donor sperm?

Yes, the person can participate in our study.
Sai

#19 colsxjack

colsxjack
  • 27 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:First Steps

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

My wife is currently 5w4d pregnant from IVS/ICSI and donor sperm.
We would be interested in participating in the study. We are located in Toronto.
Could you please send us the information on how to become involved? Thank you.

Also, would we be able to participate if we used a midwife?
DW 29 - PCOS
Me 35 - Spermless
trying to conceive with donor sperm for 1 yr.

10/07-04/08 -- 4 IUI's 3 with clomid and 1 with injectables all BFN

07/26/08 -- IVF#1
22 eggs, 20 fertilized, 10 made it to blast
transferred 1 and froze 9 -- BFN

10/06/08 -- FET 2 blasts
10/19/08 -- HPT BFP
10/20/08 -- Beta #1 = 497
10/23/08 -- Beta #2 = 1152
10/26/08 -- Beta #3 = 4707
10/29/08 -- Beta #4 = 11582
11/03/08 -- U/S #1 = praying for 1 good heartbeat.
Great heartbeat, great size, great everything
12/02/08 -- 1st appointment with midwife
midwife is great
12/08/08 -- 2nd ultrasound -- everything looks good hrtbeat 172
01/30/09 -- anatomy scan
great anatomy
06/24/09 -- baby due
July 10, 2009 - healthy 9lb 6oz 21inch baby girl born...2w2days past due

#20 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

My wife is currently 5w4d pregnant from IVS/ICSI and donor sperm.
We would be interested in participating in the study. We are located in Toronto.
Could you please send us the information on how to become involved? Thank you.

Also, would we be able to participate if we used a midwife?

Thank you for your consideration of participating in our study.
Although you are in Toronto and have a midwife for delivery, it should be fine. We can arrange the transportion there.

I will send you a consent form by your person email and please let me know if you have any questions. My email: sai@interchange.ubc.ca

Take care,
Sai

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hi Dr. Sai Ma,

We just found out today that we are expecting twins again from IVF w/ ICSI. Our first IVF w/ ICSI blessed us with our twin daugters. Does this impact my inclusion in the study?

#22 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hi Dr. Sai Ma,

We just found out today that we are expecting twins again from IVF w/ ICSI. Our first IVF w/ ICSI blessed us with our twin daugters. Does this impact my inclusion in the study?

No, you can participate in our study. Our study not only study pregnancies from ICSI and also study pregnancies from IVF as well.

Take care,
Sai

#23 MsGiggles

MsGiggles
  • Cyclebase
  • 68 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Dr. Sai Ma,
Is this study still ongoing?
TTC since 2007
Severe MF diagnose in Dec 2008
1st (& maybe only?) IVF started May 2009
ET scheduled for June 28 2009 - BFN

1st FET started Sept 2009
ET scheduled for Oct 14 3009 - BFP
HG pregnancy resulting in DD welcomed after 21hr labour in early July 2010

#24 Dr. Sai Ma

Dr. Sai Ma
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Dr. Sai Ma,
Is this study still ongoing?

Yes, the study is still ongoing.
Sai

#25 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hi Dr Ma,
I posted a long time ago (about exclusion criteria) but wasn't successful in our ART treatments at that time. We've since had good luck with our second IVF and I'm now nearly 20 weeks along. I'd be very interested in joining the study (I think it's addressing very important questions) but am not sure if I'd be eligible since I'm not in Canada (I'll most likely be delivering in the States). I recall you saying that people outside BC could take part but I'm not clear whether that would extend to the US.

Wishing you all the best with the study!
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.