138 replies to this topic

#51 janny82

janny82
  • 1000+
  • 1491 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/VFC

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

That's awesome, Yvonne!! Keep us posted. 11 is such a fun age. I hope the transition period goes smoothly for the both of you.

#52 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our beautiful daughter, walking our dogs, reading, scrapbooking, travel and horse back riding :)
  • My Clinic:Children's Bridge

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Thats great news!!!! Exciting times :D

Me: 29
DH: 30
8 years TTC
3 rounds of IUI and nothing

May 2011 Started our adoption paperwork
Dec. 2011- Officially matched to adopt domestically biggrin.png
Jan. 19th 2012- Beautiful baby Brooklyn was born! Love at first sight biggrin.png

Sept. 2013- Back on the list to adopt domestically!!! (waiting patiently, haha, or not!)

Aug. 3rd 2016- Our darling little Inuk baby Bristol was born Emoticons01015.gif

#53 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:TV, movies, books, puzzles and video games
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Congratulations Yvonne!!! Hope the meeting goes well. I agree with taking lots of notes, it will probably be very overwhelming.

TTC since 2012 (plus 2 years around 2008/2010). I'm 37 years old, husband is 28. 

Karma: Unexplained. 3 Failed IUIs with injectables in 2014. IVF #1: 5 day embryo transferred, 1 frozen. BFN. FET #1: 1 6 day embryo 2AB. BFN

One Fertility: DOR. AMH of 5.8 (Canadian). IVF #2: 2 eggs fertilized (ICSI), transferred 2 day 3 embryos. BFN

Adoption with CAS: Adopted a baby boy! Home since November 6th, 2016, adoption finalized June 26th, 2017.

#54 shansi

shansi
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Congrats Yvonne!  That is so exciting!  11 is a great age!  Once you are through information sharing, I would appreciate anything you learned about the process as hopefully we will be at that place soon too. 

#55 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Congrats Yvonne!  That is so exciting!  11 is a great age!  Once you are through information sharing, I would appreciate anything you learned about the process as hopefully we will be at that place soon too. 

It all went well.  First the social worker went through all the info in her file, then the teachers came and talked about what they know about her, and then the foster parents.  We discussed a possible transition time line if I were to say yes.  The said to get back to them by Monday.

• BrandyM, Aiglee and SecondAct like this
Started ttc in fall 04
m/[email protected] weeks in April 2005
2006 found out about pcos and male factor
Decided to adopt.....approved and waiting until agency closed in Nov. 2009
:(IVF#1 July/August 2010 No transfer due to OHSS 10 frozen embryos :)
FET#1 Oct 14 2010 beta #1 was 7, beta#2 was negative :(
FET#2-Jan. 27 2011-BFNFET #3-July 1, 2011.-BFP! looked okay for a while then ended "pregnancy of unknown location"Four embryos left.
FET#4-Feb. 17, 2012 two embryos transferred-grow embies grow! beta #1 44, #2 51 #3 207, #4 375...Found out it was ectopic lost the embies and both tubes-
I'm single now FET #5 in November 2014 BFN
FET #6 in February 2015.

#56 SecondAct

SecondAct
  • 58 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Private

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

That is great Yvonne.

Our social worker emailed to says he is processing our references and sent everything to our support person. I do not expect to hear more for a while. Once the references and checks are done, our next step is PRIDE. However, we have been told they will make a directed placement if necessary given our unique background. Not sure if this actually ever happens.

#57 shansi

shansi
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

It all went well.  First the social worker went through all the info in her file, then the teachers came and talked about what they know about her, and then the foster parents.  We discussed a possible transition time line if I were to say yes.  The said to get back to them by Monday.

Thanks for that info Yvonne.  I am a bit surprised that they did the file and the meeting people part of info sharing all in the same day. Was that overwhelming or good to get to meet the people while the file information was still fresh?

What are the transition timelines like?

• SecondAct likes this

#58 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for that info Yvonne.  I am a bit surprised that they did the file and the meeting people part of info sharing all in the same day. Was that overwhelming or good to get to meet the people while the file information was still fresh?

What are the transition timelines like?

Do they usually do it on different days?  There were 4 of us that drove to where the child lives (2 hours away) so it was good to do it all on the same day.  It was a lot of information to keep straight but I was given lots of written info to take with me and the SW took good notes for me as well.

For this situation, they proposed that I would drive to where she lives and the first day meet her with her foster parents for a couple of hours.  I would stay in a hotel there and over the next week spend more and more time with her each day.  In the middle of the week we would drive back to my house for the day or maybe overnight, then go back to where she lives.  After a week to 10 days if everyone thinks she is ready then I would go home and the foster parents would drive her to my house to stay.  Then she and I would spend a week at home together before she starts school. She would be in school for June and then we'd have the whole summer off together.  I had been thinking the transition would be at the end of the school year but her teachers thought it would be good for her to have time in her new school before summer to get to know kids in my neighbourhood.  

• Aiglee likes this
Started ttc in fall 04
FET#2-Jan. 27 2011-BFNFET #3-July 1, 2011.-BFP! looked okay for a while then ended "pregnancy of unknown location"Four embryos left.
FET#4-Feb. 17, 2012 two embryos transferred-grow embies grow! beta #1 44, #2 51 #3 207, #4 375...Found out it was ectopic lost the embies and both tubes-
FET #6 in February 2015.

#59 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Our situation is a bit different. The transition will take place over a couple of months with the children coming after school ends.
  • Aiglee, idream and SecondAct like this
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#60 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

I am sure that lots of you out there are feeling the same feelings as me.... the waiting is the hardest part. A little part of me every day is hopeful that today will be the day we get a call. We have been trying to keep busy with training and events and making sure all the house things are done but that little piece of me that is always hopefully is also tiring. People keep asking for updates... which there are no updates.... we are waiting until we are matched - and when we are matched all will know about it.  

A child was profiled to us a few weeks ago and we asked to be considered to see if we were a match and our worker just sat on it and so the child was matched with someone else by the time she inquired. It is tough to accept that our lives are in someone else's hands right now and believe that this process and system will work out when things like that happen. 

We are talking about planning a big vacation at the beginning of summer but even that is tough because there is the whatifs that prove to be stronger than the woohoo a vacation! 

Just needed somewhere to put my feelings and I know the people that read this forum have/had/ or will feel these things too. 

I totally understand this.  I had 10 months of people asking for updates with nothing to say to them except I'm waiting.  I had the same kids of issues when I inquired about specific kids as well.  It is frustrating.  I do hope you are matched soon and when you are that it is with the child that is perfect for your family.

You were talking about being open to older kids...i started saying I was open to age 8, then I changed it to 13.  Were you at the adoption event where the teens/youth on the youth speak out panel spoke?  Those kids really touched me.  I don't quite feel ready to parent an older teen but there is such a need there and my heart goes out to them.  

Started ttc in fall 04
FET #6 in February 2015.

#61 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Our situation is a bit different. The transition will take place over a couple of months with the children coming after school ends.

that is more what I expected but they felt a short transition was best for this child so I'm going with it.  I hope all goes well with your transition.   Have you started it yet?

• Yearning and SecondAct like this
Started ttc in fall 04
FET #6 in February 2015.

#62 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

We've had our first couple of visits and will be seeing them on the weekend as well. I'm so excited for our visits.
  • mouse, Yearning, SunshineTTC and 2 others like this

#63 SecondAct

SecondAct
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Yvonne and ILMDS - I am curious about the advice given regarding setting up the kids rooms.  Is it something they will participate in or have you been advised to set the rooms up giving consideration to the kids likes/dislikes.  

#64 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Yvonne and ILMDS - I am curious about the advice given regarding setting up the kids rooms.  Is it something they will participate in or have you been advised to set the rooms up giving consideration to the kids likes/dislikes.  

The girl's worker suggested that she and I could pick out furniture together but I'm not sure how that would work with the quick transition we are doing.  The furniture will need to be purchased, delivered and assembled and I will need help with that.  I don't think it is very inviting for her to move to an empty room and have to sleep on the couch and I don't have any other beds. So I think I will buy a bed and dresser and have it set up and then she and I can pick out bedding, curtains and other decorations together.  We can even paint the room in the summer with her favourite colours etc.  So I will have the basics picked out and have her give input with the rest.

• Yearning, BrandyM, janny82 and 1 other like this
Started ttc in fall 04
FET #6 in February 2015.

#65 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

We bought the beds already to have ready for the sleepovers, as well as bedding based on their favourite colours. We were given dressers for the rooms from family. We will have them help to pick out curtains and decorations.
  • mouse, Yvonne, Yearning and 3 others like this

#66 SecondAct

SecondAct
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Thanks ILMDs and Yvonne. I hope you both had great visits this weekend.

One other question - did they say anything about buying clothes or toys (like a comfort stuffed animal) etc...  I have heard mixed things - be ready or use what the kids already have.

#67 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

Thanks ILMDs and Yvonne. I hope you both had great visits this weekend.

One other question - did they say anything about buying clothes or toys (like a comfort stuffed animal) etc...  I have heard mixed things - be ready or use what the kids already have.

We didn't discuss this.  I haven't met the child yet but she is 11 so I think she will come with whatever things her foster parents send her with and she and I can talk about anything else she needs or wants.  It might be different for a younger child.  All I am buying for now is basic things for her room. We will have a week home together before she starts school and I go back to work so during that time we'll buy other needed things.

• SecondAct likes this
Started ttc in fall 04
FET #6 in February 2015.

#68 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

They will be bringing a ton of things with them and we are also buying/receiving other things. I have family that worked in CAS and they stressed the importance of bringing and using the child's own belongings (especially comfort items), but you can also add other things. Just don't take the originals away, no matter what condition they are in (but feel free to clean them).
  • SecondAct likes this

#69 shansi

shansi
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

We haven't been matched yet, but I have set up the basics in the room. I painted a fresh neutral colour, bought and set up the bed and dresser, and put in a closet organizer. It feels welcoming and warm but still has lots of space for the child to make it their own.

• SecondAct likes this

#70 Axl2

Axl2
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hey do any of you know why you need to look over your homestudy for the update?

#71 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our beautiful daughter, walking our dogs, reading, scrapbooking, travel and horse back riding :)
  • My Clinic:Children's Bridge

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Just in case there are any changes or anything I believe.

• Axl2 likes this

Me: 29
DH: 30
8 years TTC
3 rounds of IUI and nothing

May 2011 Started our adoption paperwork
Dec. 2011- Officially matched to adopt domestically biggrin.png
Jan. 19th 2012- Beautiful baby Brooklyn was born! Love at first sight biggrin.png

Sept. 2013- Back on the list to adopt domestically!!! (waiting patiently, haha, or not!)

Aug. 3rd 2016- Our darling little Inuk baby Bristol was born Emoticons01015.gif

#72 Axl2

Axl2
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

Ok thanks!! I hope I can address some of things she wrote about us and it get it changed probably not tho lol.

• SecondAct likes this

#73 shansi

shansi
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

We got the call!  We were matched with a 5 yr old boy. We still have to go through information sharing over the next couple of weeks before it will be an official match but I am over the moon.  I spent months thinking about what it would feel like to finally get that call and I never could have imagined. I read 100s of people say it is worth the wait and now I can say, " yes it is". 

• mouse, Yvonne, Yearning and 6 others like this

#74 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Congratulations shansi! 5 is a great age.

#75 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

5 year old boys are the most fun ever (I'm slightly biased)!!

• SecondAct likes this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.