• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skyhigh21

Skyhigh21
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

I began an OHIP funded IVF cycle last month at a fertility clinic I have been with for almost 2 years. This is my second IVF attempt (first one I paid for out of pocket); with the OHIPS funded IVF cycle, I did cycle monitoring and took medications but after day 10, I decided along with my doctor to cancel the cycle as the follicle count and size wasn't looking too hopeful; we decided to covert this IVF cycle to an IUI; therefore, there was no egg retrieval or transfer. I am told I have one more chance at an IVF funded cycle and then it will it. However, I have now decided that I want to switch to another IVF clinc and hopefully be funded for 'my IVF cycle becuase technically I have only done cycle monitoring. I called my fertility clinc today and wanted to confirm that I can go elsewhere for an IVF funded cycle but they told me that once they have approved me for an OHIPS funded cycle, I am locked in and can't go elsewhere for a OHIPS funded IVF cycle. I find this completely unfair because I have only done cycle monitoring and no egg retrieval, ICSI a or transfer has been done; I have trying to contact someone in the claims department of OHIP but to no avail
Anyone in the same boat or has experience with this situation? I will gladly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

#2 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

I had understood that even doing monitoring used up your OHIP cycle.

If you never made it to retrieval that was unfortunate but that once you started your monitoring your cycle was used.   I think them letting you try again as a funded cycle is pretty lucky.

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#3 testrun

testrun
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

If your funded IVF cycle is cancelled prior to retrieval, you are allowed one more chance as per the regulations.  The second attempt has to be with the same clinic.  Your clinic does not get any payment from the government for any services rendered until you have completed the second funded attempt.  They are not compensated at all for the cancelled first cycle.  Your second funded attempt is considered a cycle regardless of whether or not you get to retrieval.

#4 SunnySkies

SunnySkies
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

I think testrun is right. The funded cycle can end in any of these ways: 

- 2 cycle monitoring attempts with no egg retrieval 

- 1 failed egg retrieval 

- 1 failed surgical sperm removal and no alternate sperm source 

- fertilization and culture of all eggs resulted in no viable embryos to transfer

- thawing/culture of all frozen embryos resulted in no viable embryo to transfer

- all viable embryos have been transferred

Since yours was a cycle monitoring attempt with no egg retrieval you are allowed to try it again. Since it is part of the same funded cycle, I think you're stuck with your clinic. 

• idream and returnable like this

I have my own blog about infertility:

https://fertilityfinance.wordpress.com/ 

I blog about my upcoming IVF cycle and the cost of infertility.