• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jolbak

Jolbak
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

Hi everyone , I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found you guys because I have no one else to ask for help and to consult ❤️

My family doctor referred mt to Olive after almost one year of trying to get pregnant with no success , right nowim doing my third round if iui there and tiday is day 14 and i have started spotting and cramps and I know my period is gonna show up anytime ... I have a few question and it would mean a world to me if you could tell me about your experiences there .

In my first appointment I did a blood test an ultra sound and also did a HSG test which they all were good and even my husband test results were good and doctor suggested we start with clomid and use an ovulation kit and give them a call when it was positive and go the next day for iui

I have done 3 iui ( today is day 14 of my 3rd cycle) and I am wondering why it is not working I know it can take a few cycles but I keep reading a lot of posts from other iui patients and I see that their doctors are doing it differently , doing ultra sounds to make sure ovulation has happened doing progestrone blood test doing shots making sure their follies are the right size and ...

Was wondering if anyone else at Olive is doing their iui with just clomid like me ? I like Olive and my doctor I just feel so disappointed thinking there should be some more monitoring some explanations or follow ups and not just repeating the same thing ...

Sorry for my long post I really need some help :(

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi everyone , I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found you guys because I have no one else to ask for help and to consult ❤️

My family doctor referred mt to Olive after almost one year of trying to get pregnant with no success , right nowim doing my third round if iui there and tiday is day 14 and i have started spotting and cramps and I know my period is gonna show up anytime ... I have a few question and it would mean a world to me if you could tell me about your experiences there .

In my first appointment I did a blood test an ultra sound and also did a HSG test which they all were good and even my husband test results were good and doctor suggested we start with clomid and use an ovulation kit and give them a call when it was positive and go the next day for iui

I have done 3 iui ( today is day 14 of my 3rd cycle) and I am wondering why it is not working I know it can take a few cycles but I keep reading a lot of posts from other iui patients and I see that their doctors are doing it differently , doing ultra sounds to make sure ovulation has happened doing progestrone blood test doing shots making sure their follies are the right size and ...

Was wondering if anyone else at Olive is doing their iui with just clomid like me ? I like Olive and my doctor I just feel so disappointed thinking there should be some more monitoring some explanations or follow ups and not just repeating the same thing ...

Sorry for my long post I really need some help sad.png

This is only partially related as I am not at olive and I have not done IUI.  My sister did IUI at our local clinic.  clomid didn't work for her and gave her horrible side effects.  She switched to puregon and had two successful IUIs and has two sons :)

IUI doesn't work for everyone.  My husband and I have unexplained infertility.  Our Dr said we could try 3 rounds of IUI and then she would recommend IVF based on our age and some minor issues.  We managed to get on a drug trial and went straight to IVF and had a son on our second try.

I am sorry for your failed cycles and hope you get some answers.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Jolback, I've done IUI with the Olive doctors (when they were at Genesis) and yes, it was just clomid and then IUI without all the other stuff.  They likely just didn't think there was any reason for you to escalate to the fancy stuff right off the bat.  If this IUI doesn't work then I'd suggest talking to your doctor and making a plan to try something different. 

With respect to the few things you've mentioned as examples of what other people are doing, there isn't really a need to do an u/s or blood work to ensure you ovulated if you're using the ovulation sticks and you have a history of regular periods/ovulating.  That's something they may do for someone who doesn't ovulate or has an irregular cycle or other more difficult diagnosis.  When you're doing a simple iui there isn't really a reason to do all the extra stuff, the extra stuff is just a waste of money (IMO). 

Doing injections to pump up your follicles or get you to produce more follicles with an iui is called superovulation.  There are risks there because you might produce 10 follicles (for example) and then the odds of multiples is greater because they can't control how many eggs might fertilize during an iui.  To prevent that they will monitor you with ultrasounds and blood tests to make sure you don't end up with more than a couple of follicles.  If you did end up with a large number of follicles, they would cancel your cycle or convert you to an IVF and retrieve them so they can control the outcome.  It's more invasive and harder on your body than a regular iui, so again, unless you have a reason to start here then they wouldn't go to this point until they need to.  This would be a possible next step for you if your current iui isn't successful. 

Every cycle is slightly different, even multiple cycles for the same person.  None of my cycles has been the same.  So try not to compare what other people are doing to what you're doing.  Their diagnosis is probably just different than yours.  The Olive doctors are good and they try to help you using the least invasive method possible, which IMO is a good thing.  If you're worried about it or want to escalate to the next step just ask them.  I did 12 unsuccessful iui's, but I have 2 friends who both got success on their first iui's.  So it's a good place to start. 

Good luck!!

• amp77 and Jolbak like this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#4 Jolbak

Jolbak
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for your replies ❤️ Thanks for all the explanations , I guess these failed cycles made me feel so disappointed I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right path and amp77 and everhopeful you guys made me feel so much better 😍
  • amp77 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olive