1 reply to this topic

#1 foxymama

foxymama
  • 37 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Not sure

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hello!

I posted this on the RE conversation but wanted to get your opinion as well!

I have ordered donor eggs and will be transferring at the end of October (hopefully). Our donor tested positive as a carrier for MTHFR C677T. I spoke to my clinic prior to picking her and they didn't seem concerned that she had the mutation.

The donor egg coordinator at my clinic said I would have to take extra folic acid prior to the transfer, but when I talked to her yesterday she said to make sure I was taking my "normal folic" (Kirkland prenatal) and seemed confused when I asked about taking extra.

I am wondering if I should be taking extra folic, or folate, or trying to get in with my RE to ask her? (We live about 4 hours from the clinic, so I'm not sure we would be able to.) I don't want to be second guessing them, but I want to do the best I can for this to be a healthy and successful pregnancy. Sometimes I feel like they don't focus on the individuals, and I know there are complications when it comes to the donor vs. the carrier (intended parent).

Thank you!

A short history of why I have one partially-working-lonely-remaining-ovary in About Me.

32 YO with DOR.  Moving on to DE IVF fall 2016!

#2 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

It's my understanding that those who have the mutation absorb methylfolate better.

As to what you should take to optimize implantation and growth, I'm not sure.

I don't know if I have the mutation but I take methylfolate in my prenatal multi anyway.

There's Thorne Basic Prenatal and Emerald Prenatal Multi available online.

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DE, Donor Egg, MTHFR