• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hope1818

Hope1818
  • 33 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hi I just received the news that my 6th IVF has failed. We have one frozen embryo. I don't see my doctor for over a month and I have heard there is a wait list for FET. I am looking for any advice on how to prepare for my FET over the next few months.

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

Welcome to the site. I'm so sorry that your IVF failed. Preparation for FET is fairly straightforward. Healthy living. Continue prenatal meds. That's it. They will probably do a uterine biopsy a week before your period and then the FET cycle. FET is so much easier on your body than a fresh cycle. They might give you some meds to prevent ovulation, or might just monitor and do it unmedicated. My son was born from an FET.

Wishing you lots of luck on this upcoming cycle

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#3 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

Hi I just received the news that my 6th IVF has failed. We have one frozen embryo. I don't see my doctor for over a month and I have heard there is a wait list for FET. I am looking for any advice on how to prepare for my FET over the next few months.

So sorry your cycle failed :(  I see that you are at OFC.  I am doing a FET there now.  My consult was early June and then I did baseline testing and mock cycle (I am doing unmedicated FET because my cycles are regular), I got results and signed consent July 18, and am cycling September.  There is a wait list per se, but it depends on what week they think your transfer will be and if they have openings.  I actually almost made it in August because there were openings, just not on my transfer week.  Best of luck.  I hope this is your golden embryo!  Also, for prep, nothing really.  I am taking pre-natal, omegas, vitamin D and doing acupuncture for 3 months (two months before and cycle month).

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#4 Hope1818

Hope1818
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I am beside myself right now. My doctor has already said my cycle will be medicated. Like I said I don't see him until Oct 19 so I suspect at the earliest I will get in is January. I don't want to rush the cycle but at the same time this is the first freezie we have had so not knowing what comes next is tough I just want to talk to him and know what is next. Your response has helped with that. I appreciate that so much.
  • amp77 likes this

#5 sparklefish

sparklefish
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:03 AM

Did your doc make this decision for medicated cycle after actually measuring your hormone levels through the month and the thickness of your uterine lining without meds? My doc made the decision for me re medicated without doing that for my first FET and I lost it (chemical preg). I didn't even know that a natural cycle was possible. this time, and i'm 9 weeks along now, we did natural. all in all, it was way way better for me-- i'm very aware of my body and i know it was the better choice. He might be basing it on the fact your IVFs didn't work, but of course, you would've been medicated to some extent those times.

another question: how is your vitamin D and your TSH? both of these things can prohibit pregnancy if the levels are off.

Also, another thing I did differently was I went to an acupuncturist who is also a chinese herbalist. i went twice a week to acupuncture and the herbs were three times a day. it def thickened my lining. He also told me to eat oysters, clams, fish roe and mussels as much as I could. I had some of them every day. ate oysters raw (I miss that now!) -- they sell them here cheap at whole foods and they shuck them for you, and I made clam salad from canned boiled clams with avocado and paprika. i also mashed up salmon roe into vegan cream cheese (I can't have dairy), and spread it on crackers. Additionally, I added kelp and dulse to my food instead of salt (don't keep up the kelp if you get pregnant, but dulse is okay) -- that's for iodine and your TSH. Also-- vitamins. I took and take a prenatal (Mommy and Me 2), krill oil, another fish oil, vitamin D (mine was a little low but it isn't anymore), Co-Q10, chlorella and a vitamin C that comes from whole foods (acutal foods not the supermarket). these were all decided upon from research i did on what makes a fetus healthiest, and I figured since they're living off stores of minerals and foods in your bloodstream/cells prior to the pregnancy, I should stock up on those before. As it turns out I'm glad i did bec. my nausea was so bad for a few weeks that i've hardly been able to eat, but i have been continuing those vitamins.

The last thing I did which really brought down my anxiety (it was my last embryo too) was that I made plans for either result. In other words, if the pregnancy worked, where could I move to afford a larger apartment, what kind of life would i have with my kid (i'm a single mom by choice), how would i afford to still travel etc. I did a bunch of research and had a plan. This also involved planning car trips nearby for during the pregnancy since I didn't want to fly anywhere and asking my parents to come visit me for Thanksgiving if the pregnancy worked. I was specific about these plans because I wondered if I had any unconscious fears about being a mom or making it work. Figuring this stuff out made me realize I was totally ready. It just clarified it.

Then, on the other hand, I thought about what I would do if the pregnancy didn't work. I planned plane trips that were affordable, expanding my job into europe and a few american cities I want to explore, and shooting a few short films i'd wanted to make for a while. Somehow, knowing my life would be amazing either way really relieved me. of course, adoption was also an option, but I knew I'd have to take a little time if I lost this one. I was way way less anxious during my 2WW then i was the time before, and when I took my first HPT and it was negative, I knew it could change, but, in my mind, I said "ok. then travel it is." the next day I got a positive result, and of course it's been pins and needles each week. I'm starting to breathe a little now at 9 weeks, but I think i'll really believe it when I'm in the second trimester!

hope that helps and if you have any questions on brands etc. it should be on my post page. I wrote someone else all the vitamins i take with links. wishing you calm and contentment.

single Mom-to be hopefully -- by choice

two natural chemical pregnancies with partners, Sept 2013 and December 2011

2 egg retrievals Feb and Aug 2014 resulting in 2 genetically tested viable 5 day embryos

hysteroscopy April 2016; adverse reaction to antibiotics--medically controlled cycle-- very strong negative reaction to estrogen; FET of one 5 day embryo May 5 2016 CHEMICAL PREGNANCY.cry.gif

natural cycle (yes- thank you, so much better); FET of one 5 day embryo August 5 2016th_abfp.gifflow.gif

10dp beta=5350; 12dp beta-998; 17dp=8558 icon_lol.gif; 1st u/s 8/29: 127 bts/min--measured 6w4d--hello little one!

2nd u/s: 9/6:144 heartbeat; measured 7w4d; 3rd u/s 9/15: msrd 8w6d, hr 180; 4th u/s 9/26: msrd 10w5d; 5th u/s 10/10: msrd a week bigger and hr 170. NT test normal, genetic test normal. 

ITS A BOY!banana.gifDue date: April 23, 2017!

#6 Hope1818

Hope1818
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

Thanks sparkle fish! The doctor said he would go medicated for me because my cycles are not regular they are between 25 and 27 days. Also, the cycle prior to this failed attempt which got me my only freezie ever, I was pregnant it ended in a miscarriage that resulted in Asherman's. I had the scarring removed but growing lining is a concern. In this cycle by trigger I was 7.6 I'm usually well above 8. However this was also a very short cycle I only used the stims for 7 days. You have certainly given me a lot to talk to him and my acupuncturist about. I'm new to these forums and unclear how they work. Any chance you can direct me to your page?
  • sparklefish likes this

#7 Hope1818

Hope1818
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

Also meant to say Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! That is really wonderful news.
  • sparklefish likes this

#8 sparklefish

sparklefish
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

sorry hope-- had a huge writing deadline and the nausea has been killing me and my deadline meeting capacity!! let me see if i can find the post and i'll copy paste it here. x

2 egg retrievals Feb and Aug 2014 resulting in 2 genetically tested viable 5 day embryos

hysteroscopy April 2016; adverse reaction to antibiotics--medically controlled cycle-- very strong negative reaction to estrogen; FET of one 5 day embryo May 5 2016 CHEMICAL PREGNANCY.cry.gif

natural cycle (yes- thank you, so much better); FET of one 5 day embryo August 5 2016th_abfp.gifflow.gif

10dp beta=5350; 12dp beta-998; 17dp=8558 icon_lol.gif; 1st u/s 8/29: 127 bts/min--measured 6w4d--hello little one!

2nd u/s: 9/6:144 heartbeat; measured 7w4d; 3rd u/s 9/15: msrd 8w6d, hr 180; 4th u/s 9/26: msrd 10w5d; 5th u/s 10/10: msrd a week bigger and hr 170. NT test normal, genetic test normal. 

#9 sparklefish

sparklefish
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

here's the info:

I did a ton of research on prenatal vitamins. Here's the thing: vitamins do come in different quality and have different levels of fillers. given that I myself have a sensitive system, and my babe might have inherited that, I am committed to having as few toxins/additives to my vitamins. here's my choice after tons of research: 

note: i take all of these on a full stomach and i refrigerate the fish oil supplements -- if I don't take on full stomach, they don't go down as well and i've gotten pretty nauseated.

prenatal vitamin (1 in morn 1 at night): megafood mommy and me prenatal 2: https://www.amazon.c...gafood+prenatal

I also take supplements to that after a ton of research and talking to my herbalist:

vitamin C 2x a dayhttps://www.amazon.c...ce nutritionals

royal jelly (1 per day): https://www.amazon.c...rds=royal jelly

krill oil (1 per day)https://www.amazon.c...viva+labs+krill

ubiquinol (this is co-q10 but easier for body to take in-1 a day) https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cod liver oil/royal butter blend - 1 a day

https://www.amazon.c...=A1LSPAX3ZB7QGJ

chlorrella (4 a day): https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with meals that don't include the other vitamins: healthy trinity probiotic OR bio-k OR garden of life raw probiotics for women. it is good to mix up your probiotics so you get a bunch of different strains in a week. 

obviously, buying all of this adds up-- my parents gave me a gift of $500 about a month before I started FET with the express idea of me only buying vitamins with it, and I did and have a little left over. You can price compare on vitacost, which I assume works in canada, though I don't know. 

also, now that I'm on it, teas for the first trimester that are okay are:

ginger and rooibos,-- this has made me crazy because I have so many herbs I make teas from and none are ok during first trimester!

you can have green tea-- if you're drinking caffeine, it's low in caffeine. I'm off caffeine for the pregnancy, but if you steep green tea for 90 seconds (i do 3 min just to be safe), then throw out the water and steep it again, the second steeping has no caffeine, but you get the green tea taste which i miss and love. (not any more-- it makes me nauseated now)

In the second trimester, you can add raspberry leaf and I believe dandelion root and nettle-- but NOT in first trimester.

that's what I did before and now during the pregnancy. if you think I've gotten anything wrong/off here, please tell me!!!