• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RaRoss

RaRoss
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

My husband and I were told we would have to have IVF with ICSI, I am interested to see how others have payed for these treatments? We are very new to all of this and I am just looking into options of how to finance this treatment. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

If we need to pay for an IVF in the future, we will use our line of credit or borrow against our mortgage unless we actually manage to save money for once in our lives!

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

We saved the money by cutting back and going on a strict budget.  Rented a cheap place, no cell phone, strict grocery bill, strict entertainment budget (no going out to movies.)  Drove a 20 year old car, with no car payment.  Driving an older car cuts down a lot on monthly bills.

One couple l know put it on their credit card.   Another treated it as if they were going to buy a car.  

Some people take out a second house mortgage.  Some lucky people have parents who want to be future grandparents & are willing to help.

Good luck - I know the $$ part of this is stressful.  

There's a good blog/website -- Mr. Money Moustache.  He's extreme but has all sorts of helpful hints on ways to budget strictly.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

• schlepp likes this

#4 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

We refinanced our mortgage to cover a couple of rounds (provided money up front for one try and paid off another). We had a couple of years with no vacations to save up/pay off. We also used bonuses to help pay off what we put on line of credit (instead of putting it toward retirement savings which is where it should have gone). I'm also lucky that my medication is substantially covered through my work drug plan.

Oh...we also put our tax refund from medical expenses toward our adoption homestudy costs.
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#5 RaRoss

RaRoss
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Ladies! I think we are going to see our bank about a line of credit as we just purchased a new car a year ago and can't really cut back on that. I'm thinking that will be our only option as we don't have a mortgage or any other large purchases besides the new car. It's all just very overwhelming, when your expecting to spend around 8,000-10,000 and then they inform you its probably more like 12,000-15,000.. I know it's not a HUGE difference but it is when your trying to calculate this all into your financial situation.. so stressful!!

#6 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

We pulled out rrsps for our last round.....
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#7 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

Don't forget meds in that cost! I found REs do a very poor job estimating. I was told 3k and spent closer to 5k, and that was with my strategizing on buying the smaller dose pens and using the overfill. If I hadn't, I would probably have spent closer to 6k.

We are lucky to be able to use savings but that is because we rent a home that is well below our means and my partner has a car but I don't. If we have to do more than one more round we would have to look into cashing out RRSPs or waiting to save more. I've looked at switching jobs just to get in somewhere with benefits for the drug coverage. Fertility treatment benefits would also be great. 

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#8 SGD

SGD
  • 1000+
  • 1005 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:First Dr. Hannam and now Dr. Auyeung

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

We used our home equity line of credit. Meds were mostly covered through private insurance (Thank God!).
And then I would pay down the line of credit whenever I got a bonus.

Good luck!
See About Me page 

#9 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

If job relocation is a possibility -- easier in the computer tech field to cross borders -- there are some places that cover IVF.  

15 US states mandate insurance coverage of fertility procedures. 

Massachusetts & Illinois have particularly good IVF & drug coverage.  

And, of course, Ontario has begun to cover 1 cycle, although there's long wait times.  

Good luck! 

#10 RaRoss

RaRoss
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the input! I wish either of us had health insurance, my husband works seasonally and I work part time at two different places so neither of us qualify for insurance through our jobs unfortunately. Dr Robichaud did say the meds would be between 3000 and 5000$ but they put us on a list of free medications that other patients didn't completely use any little bit helps! 

#11 RebeccaG

RebeccaG
  • Global 100+
  • 346 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Ladies! I think we are going to see our bank about a line of credit as we just purchased a new car a year ago and can't really cut back on that. I'm thinking that will be our only option as we don't have a mortgage or any other large purchases besides the new car. It's all just very overwhelming, when your expecting to spend around 8,000-10,000 and then they inform you its probably more like 12,000-15,000.. I know it's not a HUGE difference but it is when your trying to calculate this all into your financial situation.. so stressful!!

Don't forget you can get 50% back up to $5,000.00 from the Province (one shot deal) once complete - we took out a loan and then immediately applied for the rebate which will be $3,600 off of our $6,500 loan - interest rate is a bit higher than a line of credit but we didn't want to take a HLOC due to the fact that we will need a new roof next year.  We will take our tax return (document everything - parking receipts) and put in on the loan too or put toward an FET.  I found this the hardest part - so anxious until we took out the loan and then I was like well - this is happening - such a gamble!

Sep 15, 2016 First IVF 1 embryo - 2 frozen

Sep 30, 2016 - Positive HCG preganancy test

Oct 5, 2016 -  HCG dropped embryo will not last

Oct 19, 2016 - Request to see endocrinologist

Oct 24, 2016 - Beginning Hashimoto Thyroiditis diet 

Nov 30, 2016 - Blood test to determine if diet helped

Nov 2016 - RE visit

Dec 5, 2016 - RESULTS Hashimotos Diet - for the first time in 10 years I need to lower my Thyroid medicine!!  The diet is working!

Jan 4, 2017 - Meeting with Conceptia - getting ready for FET.  Apparently we have 3 embryos left 2 - 4BB and 1 - 5BB.  Preparing to put one in (hopefully in March) waiting on thyroid testing.

Jan 31, 2017 Started BC - FET scheduled for March 14 

March 14, 2017 - FET!! put in a 5bb
March 24, 2017 - blood work for pregnancy test

March 24, 2017 - BFN

March 27, 2017 - Bloodwork - genetic testing for me and Josh

April 19, 2017 Blood test results show nothing

April 25, 2017 - Starting my Hashimoto diet again

May 15, 2017 - 2 Polyps removed sent for biopsy and lining biopsy

June 30, 2017 - Biopsy indicates uterus inflammation - will treat for next FET

September 8, 2017 - FET FINAL 2 EMBRYOS

Additional IM Progesterone this round

Sep 20, 2017  - Beta test - 940 th_abfp.gif

2 embryos implanted, 1 developed into a fetus (heart is full)

DUE DATE: MAY 26, 2018 preggo.gif  

Jan 6, 2018 - babyboy.gif  It's a boy

#12 RebeccaG

RebeccaG
  • Global 100+
  • 346 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the input! I wish either of us had health insurance, my husband works seasonally and I work part time at two different places so neither of us qualify for insurance through our jobs unfortunately. Dr Robichaud did say the meds would be between 3000 and 5000$ but they put us on a list of free medications that other patients didn't completely use any little bit helps! 

I wish that I had known that - we went and refilled our prescription and got a call at lunch (before we ever took it) to stop taking it.  We asked what we could do with it and they said they couldn't take it!!  Such a shame!!

Sep 15, 2016 First IVF 1 embryo - 2 frozen

Sep 30, 2016 - Positive HCG preganancy test

Oct 5, 2016 -  HCG dropped embryo will not last

Oct 19, 2016 - Request to see endocrinologist

Oct 24, 2016 - Beginning Hashimoto Thyroiditis diet 

Nov 30, 2016 - Blood test to determine if diet helped

Nov 2016 - RE visit

Dec 5, 2016 - RESULTS Hashimotos Diet - for the first time in 10 years I need to lower my Thyroid medicine!!  The diet is working!

Jan 4, 2017 - Meeting with Conceptia - getting ready for FET.  Apparently we have 3 embryos left 2 - 4BB and 1 - 5BB.  Preparing to put one in (hopefully in March) waiting on thyroid testing.

Jan 31, 2017 Started BC - FET scheduled for March 14 

March 14, 2017 - FET!! put in a 5bb
March 24, 2017 - blood work for pregnancy test

March 24, 2017 - BFN

March 27, 2017 - Bloodwork - genetic testing for me and Josh

April 19, 2017 Blood test results show nothing

April 25, 2017 - Starting my Hashimoto diet again

May 15, 2017 - 2 Polyps removed sent for biopsy and lining biopsy

June 30, 2017 - Biopsy indicates uterus inflammation - will treat for next FET

September 8, 2017 - FET FINAL 2 EMBRYOS

Additional IM Progesterone this round

Sep 20, 2017  - Beta test - 940 th_abfp.gif

2 embryos implanted, 1 developed into a fetus (heart is full)

DUE DATE: MAY 26, 2018 preggo.gif  

Jan 6, 2018 - babyboy.gif  It's a boy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, Conceptia