#101 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ISIS

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hi girls,

NGU - glad you're feeling better. And don't worry about the chick at the maternity store - your belly will go down temporarily only so buy all the clothes you need :)
I don't know about the draining, all I was told was that they wouldn't do it unless necessary and that your body should take care of it on its own.

I'm down 7.5 lbs in 4 days and the belly is much better. I'm still crossing my fingers for my beta on Feb23 and hoping that my decreasing symptomsa re not a bad sign.

Hope all is well, have a great weekend.

ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006
DH diagnosed with azoospermia July 9, 2007
November 19, 2009 - it's a GIRL

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hi Ro, I will keep my fingers crossed for your beta on Feb 23.

I had an u/s on Feb 14 to check on my ohss and they couldn't find my gestational sac and I am worried that ohss may have been a factor. My re says not to worry yet, it may be abit too soon for sac to show, but I know that's abit a lie. You can see it from wk 4 or 5 so I am hoping I am just a slow developer. I am trying not to worry but now I wonder if I waited for my body to get rid of ohss on its for long and if I should have gotten it drained instead. My ovaries were almost 11 cm!! 10 is considered severe ohss and normally they are only 2c, big! That is why we get so bloated and uncomfortable, our ovaries can get huge with ohss!

Glad to hear your symptoms are subsiding, I think you still have ohss so that is still a good sign for a BFP for you!

#103 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi NGU,

I"ve been checking your post regarding your sac everyday hoping someone would answer you. You're probably right about developing slowly and I was told that even severe ohss should not affect becoming pregnant or be a risk to carrying the baby so you're OK.

Your next u/s wil show a little peanut with a strong heartbeat!

ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

thanks Ro. That's what RE kept telling me when I had the severe ohss, but I can't help wondering and worrying. IF sucks that way, everything is a worry!

How are you feeling? I feel almost "normal" haha! I know my ovary is still enlarged but the pain is gone and there is only discomfort if I move too fast or try to stretch. I still walk abit slow but at least I can walk!

what have you been eating?? I wonder if I made my ohss worse by eating a strict protein diet (from how I felt in the first wk of ohss) or if the strict protein diet made it better (cuz in wk 2, I started to get better) Its confusing!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

NGU, no need to worry...OHSS does not affect pregnancy. I can assure you that you didn't do any damage by not having the fluid drained. I gained 30lbs in 4 days and my ovaries were approx. 25cm. The doctors at the hospital were going to drain the fluid from me in order to provide some relief but after my ultrasound they discovered that my ovaries were so enlarged that they were concerned they would hit one of my ovaries while trying to drain the fluid...so they opted not to drain the fluid because they thought it was too risky.

I am glad to hear that you guys are feeling better and your symptoms are going away.

BTW, NGU...I went through the exact same thing at the maternity store but my mistake was that when they asked how far along I was I said a month and I got THE LOOK...so I felt compelled to explain...it took me an hour just to explain because they kept asking me sooo many questions. I should have embellished the truth a little bit just so I could have avoided the educational seminar on OHSS that I gave them.

Take care girls.

Sabrina

#106 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Superfact start date: Dec. 29/07<br />ER Jan.31/08
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional Fertility Programme

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

Hey NGU, I've been looking everyday to see what's happening with this sac of yours................keep staying positive, you've got alot of good vibes/prayers being sent your way. I'm sure all will be just fine. Its seeming like a roller coaster all the different symptoms, feelings, emotions, questions, results.............I keep reading everywhere to "just enjoy your pregnancy". If it were only that simple!
Best of luck back at work Monday too!

Ro, I was told OHSS has nothing to do with the pregnancy and if your OHSS subsides it's good- I'm not sure how many people get OHSS from pregnancy normally but it's got to be small, so in the realm of things I think it's probably more normal not to have OHSS and still be pregneant- hehe, did I sound like Chrisy from 3s Company?

I'm happy to report that my OHSS is subsiding and I account it to the 3L of Gatorade I"ve been drinking each day. I'm also moving around quite a bit, albeight I looked like an old lady at first. My waist has come down 2 inches in 2 days- far from a wasit but far more tolerable than before.

Need to hit the sack, hope all is well with everyone!
Elisabeth
Both Hubby and I are 37; TTC for 2 years; Married 1 year; Both Smiling
Started Suprefact Dec. 29/ 07; ER Jan. 31/ 08 = 12eggs, 11 ICSI'd
ET Feb. 3/ 08 = 1- 8 cell & 1- 9 cell; 3 embryo's frozen. 6, 7 & 9 celled
POAS Feb 13/08 = Positive; Clinic Confirmation: Feb 19/08 = BFP
First U/S: March 7/08 = Twins!! Twin A - HR of 147, Twin B - HR of 131

Nucal Translucency U/S: April 11/08, Genetic's Councellor April 14/08
1st OB/GYN appt : April 15/ 08
Amnio Test: May 8/08, 2nd OB/GYN appt: May 13th- test results show normal for both babies.
18week Marker U/S: May 26/08, 3rd OB/GYN appt: June 10
22 week Echo Test: June 17/08
Expected Due Date = Oct. 23/08; Expected Twin Due Date = Oct. 2/08

#107 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:12 AM

RBM, I'm really sorry about your N result. I'm sending you hugs and strength.
Elisabeth

Amnio Test: May 8/08, 2nd OB/GYN appt: May 13th- test results show normal for both babies.

#108 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hi girls,

Elisabeth - Your beta is day away! You must be so excited. Did you HPT? I said I wouldn't but now I just want to know! I have another week to wait, its brutal. But your ohss is better too so that must be a relief.

NGU, Sabrina - I can just imagine the conversation at the maternity store, lol. Those poor women have no clue, how could they!

I'm feeling really good now, like you NGU stretching and twisting is a little painful still but I'm sure it won't be long now before we're back to normal. I've lost 9.5 lbs and 7 cm in 5 days. Just a little bit more to go.

Happy Sunday,
ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

thanks for all your positive and encouraging words. It does help when I get too worried about things, you know how to put things into perspective but also understand what I am going thru so the support is just great! Thx!

Sabrina-lol, you were very nice to explain all of ohss, I didn't have the energy to go thru all that, plus, since my whole missing sac thing, I wasn't in the best of moods talking about my PG. But they saleswoman were really great and helpful. I was being so silly cuz i didn't want anyone from work to spot me that store either, so I just wanted to get in and out as fast as I could. I don't want to tell my work until I know this PG is healthy and will carry to term. I was hoping to delay telling them as long as possible, but with ohss belly, they will think I am pg when I go back to work on Tuesday this wk!

I am only 2 lbs away from pre-ohss weight but my belly is still overly bloated! I tried my jeans on yesterday and I couldn't even zip them up! Even though I feel better, I am still huge and I have a feeling its not going to go away!

hula- good luck on your beta tommorrow. I love your positive attitude! You're right most women don't even get ohss and they are PG, so with symptoms gettig better that doesn't really mean much, so RO, you could still be PG!!

Ro-Glad to hear your symptoms are getting better, hopefully you will have to go maternity clothes shoppig but not in the first month like sabrina and I!. lol!

RBM- just wanted to say Hi and know that we are thinking about you. when you are ready, let us know how you are doing (i know that's just a nutty question after a bfn, but you know what we mean)

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi All, I have read reply from all of you. And, i think there is not much difference in cost for this treatment. I am coming out of this and still wondering why this happened with me. I am not blaming myself but you know how much we go through during this treatment. We have not made any future plans yet.

Good luck all of you.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

HI RBM, good to hear from you again. It's hard to understand IF and why it finally works for some and why not for others. DH and I were looking into and pursuing adoption options as well as getting ready for ivf. Although, this cycle worked, so to speak, I am not out of the woods yet. Getting PG is just not enuf with all of our ups and downs, I worry that I will have another m/c. I wish there was a sure thing with ivf. I'm sending you a big hug, no matter what it is that you and your DH decide to do. :grouphug2:

#112 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

HI All.............

My OHSS seems to be getting under control, my stomach is still definately bloated but not aching anymore.............does this mean I can stop drinking 3L of Gatorade a day? Thinking if it's unnecessary- I should cut all that sugar out of my diet. Can't tell what's weight gain or fluid- tad scared. Still 10 lbs over my normal weight.

Ro.............I did POAS and it was + but like you, am scared because the OHSS is going - away what does that mean? I went to the Lab and did my urine test yesterday but they haven't called me yet- I tell ya, time can't go by any slower!!! ;)
You only have a few more days are you going to POAS? It's a hard decision......at least for us it was. I think I should go do it again, just to reconfirm. But I"m so freaked out. Has anyone been tested positive then got a negative that you've read on here? That would be horrible.

NGU - I read your first day at work went ok but you're pretty tired still................hopefully that will change for you. I've read the first 3 months and last 3 months you are extra tired. I"m trying to incorporate a nap time in my day.............easier said then done tho! I had these past 2 weeks modified at work and took next week off for annual leave, but then I'm back to letter carrying and I"m a tad worried about the weight I carry. Any thoughts?

Joshepine, are you in this thread?- TWINS!!! I"m so excited for you! HUGE CONGRATS!!

Sabina- How are you doing now? I hope you're feeling better!

Will post when I get a Call....rrrrrrrrrrrr,
Elisabeth

#113 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hey Elisabeth,

So today was the big day, can't wait to hear about your confirmed BFP ;)
Your clinic does a urine test? They don't do a blood test? Mine does blood only.
I'm still holding off on POAS, mainly becaue I'm too scared to see a negative response.
My understanding from HPT is that you'll get false negatives (because you hcg level is too low to detect) but not false positives so you're probably OK!!!

Good luck,
ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

#114 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hey Elisabeth,

So today was the big day, can't wait to hear about your confirmed BFP ;)
Your clinic does a urine test? They don't do a blood test? Mine does blood only.
I'm still holding off on POAS, mainly becaue I'm too scared to see a negative response.
My understanding from HPT is that you'll get false negatives (because you hcg level is too low to detect) but not false positives so you're probably OK!!!

Good luck,
ro

Thanks for your support ro............just got off the phone.
Confirmed pregnancy. Yippee. Now I wait until march 7th for the first U/S. I'm so excited.
Thank you everyone for all of your wishes and vibes- Hugs to all,
Elisabeth

#115 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Yahoo - you did it :)
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

Congrats Elizabeth. I am so happy for you.

Good luck to the others waiting on their BFP's.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

CONGRATS!!! This is fantastic news Elisabeth! The ohss was worth it all!! I think you will lose some of the weight but you may get bigger again anyways. I did lose all but about 2 lbs of pre-ohss weight but I am still abit more bloated and I don't think I will get amy smaller, but of course I am ok with that!

I just hope my u/s tommorrow goes well and I see a gestational sac. i was told to keep drinking my gatorade all this week to be on the safe side but i hope tommorrow they will tell me I can stop it. I don't like all that sugar either.

Congrats again!!

#118 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Ro- are you still around? I'm going to PM you!

#119 hulashaker

hulashaker
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone have the OHSS symptoms go away ( well subside a bit ) then come back again? I seemed to have it under control with all the gatorade each day- coming down approx. a pound a day............then yesterday night we went out for dinner and I had a pasta dish- WOW, did it come back quick! Hard to breath...............up 3 pounds! Needless to say I have stocked up on more Gatorade. My question - when does it go away? NGU did you say something like 13 weeks to fully be gone? Then I read Zoey's ovaries filling up with blood? I thought it was fluid................can anyone explain- was she possilby dealing with something else? I start work next week and am a tad concerned for my ovaries, they seem so tender and obviously I don't want to cause any damage.

A friend of mine in Vancouver going thru the IVF was told OHSS happens to 1-2% of people- thought that was interesting.

Hope everyone's doing good,
Elisabeth

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hi Hula, I think my ohss is finally almost gone for me so its been 7wks. Last wk there was still fluid but today when I went for an u/s they didn't say anything and I actually forgot to ask about the ohss. My ovaries are still very big though and my RE said it could be weeks or months before it goes back down since with the ohss and being PG, the ovaries get bigger as they produce progesterone to support the pg.

I have read from some it takes a wks to recover and others months. my RE never gave me a time frame as she says it all depends on your body. I still have 2 lbs weight gain and I don't think I will lost it. But my waist is much bigger than what a 2 lbs weight gained would look like. I still cannot and probably won't get back in my regualr clothes but tops and pants. As I am too bloated and big. I bought mat pants 3 wks ago since I couldn't fit into anything else.

I think as long as you take more rests while working and walk slow, it should be ok. Keep drinking gatorade and eating proteins. Pee often as you can as well! Hope it starts to clear up for you though!

#121 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hi girls,

Nice to see you here again. And thanks for your messages and warm wishes!

Sorry to hear you're both still suffering (Elisabeth, you more than NGU). That feeling was terrible and I hope you get better quick. The clinic also told me that they couldn't predict when it would go away. I guess no one knows for sure.

Hang in there and try to enjoy the pregnancy!

Hugs,
ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hey Elizabeth,

NGU is right; OHSS can take some time to go away. After a week at the hospital I came home. The week after I felt the OHSS symptoms coming back in full effect. So, I went back to the hospital. They ran some test and did an ultrasound and told me that everything was still the same and that I could go home and continue what I was doing. OHSS does take a toll on your body, so I think it is normal to have some bad days. BTW, my ovaries at my 12 week ultrasound were still very enlarged. By the 18th week, they were almost back to normal.

Hope you feel better.

Sabrina

#123 Zoey

Zoey
  • 504 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hey Elizabeth,

NGU is right; OHSS can take some time to go away. After a week at the hospital I came home. The week after I felt the OHSS symptoms coming back in full effect. So, I went back to the hospital. They ran some test and did an ultrasound and told me that everything was still the same and that I could go home and continue what I was doing. OHSS does take a toll on your body, so I think it is normal to have some bad days. BTW, my ovaries at my 12 week ultrasound were still very enlarged. By the 18th week, they were almost back to normal.

Hope you feel better.

Sabrina

I was told the bleeding I had was from the ovaries filliing with blood, and then emptying. On the ultrasound they were quite huge and overstimmulated. I was told 13 weeks to getting normal and the bleeding can continue off and on until they get back to normal. I am wondering why I did not have this during my 2ww but I guess the pregnancy hormone is what can make your OHSS worse and I guess with twins you have a higher HCG number. It was so scary. I thought surely it was over. I also was worried about ectopic pregnancy because of the sharp pains I was having. Those pains were the ovaries as well. At work today I scared a couple people because I yelled out because the pain was so sharp. The good thing is that at least I have an answer.

Sabrina----- you and I could almost consider ourselves OHSS veterans. Each of us had it twice and it is not a lot of fun and not enough is known about it. My clinic just kept telling me my symptoms were not OHSS. Not everyone fits into the classic cookie cutter symptoms.

I think the best thing to do if you feel terrible is to just insist on seeing a doctor and getting them to do an ultrasound and bloodwork.

Take care everyone!
Posted Image

Blocked tubes due to Endo

First IVF August 07 BFN
FET Oct 07 BFN
Second IVF Jan 08 Beta 1961 Valentines Day
Ultrasound at 6 weeks due to bleeding - Twins!
Estimated Due date: Oct 6 (38 weeks)

Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

wow zoey, you have been through so much. the thought of having ohss again makes shudder.

i was curious why your ovaries fill with blood vs fluid. Glad to know that yiur RE figured that all out for you though! My ovaries are still big too and I apparently have a cyst on each side of my ovaries, but they don't seem concerned about this at all, so I assume they think it will go away on its one.

its too bad not enough clinics know about ohss. My clinic say they only get about one patient a yr that gets severe ohss. I think I was severe ohss when I look at all my measurements. But my clinic didn't tell me all of this during the height of my ohss I don't think so I wouldn't worry. I really should have gotten my fluid drained but thankfully its all history now!

I am so excited about your twins zoey!! does this mean ohss last even longer for you??