- - - - -

ohss

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

My doctor told me to expect to gain approx. 60-70lbs...oops I guess I went a little over that. I had a really crappy pregnancy and I threw up for the entire time I was pregnant. I used to take 4 Diclectin a day and I still threw up 3-8 times a day. So, my body (or should I say the boys) demanded food every 1/2 hour. If I didn't eat, then I would immediately start throwing up but obviously nothing would come up...so I just kept my mouth full at all times. But, I am happy to report that the weight comes off...I lost 40lbs just from the delivery and I only have approx. 20lbs more to lose.

I know at the hospital the doctors mentioned multiples to me because of the severity of the OHSS...so it is definitely a possibility...but it can also be from the hcg that also seems to trigger, prolong, and increase the severity of OHSS...and you mentioned you got an extra dose of that.

It must be very hard to keep something like this from your boss. I sat my boss down before we even started our fertility treatments and explained everything to her...I knew I was going to have to be late for work some days due to b/w and ultrasounds and I knew I would need days off work for ER and ET and I am very bad at lying. Thankfully, she was very understanding about it all. I totally understand why you wouldn't want work to know until after the first trimester.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

wow what a tough pregnancy sabrina! And its amazing you have lost so much weight already! Well I love food so if I had to have fun in my mouth all the time, I wouldn't have any problem with that! lol. But all that nausea does not sounds like fun. I already had my first bout of nausea last week because I felt so sick from the ohss, I hadn't eaten for almost 8 hrs. So, now I eat no matter what!

I hope my belly goes down just a little abit for awahile so I can go to work without raising any eyebrows. RIght now, non of my pants fit me though, so I don't know what I will do when I go back to work cuz I have nothing to wear! I might have to buy maternity clothes right now!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hi Guys, Now my OHSS pain is gone and i don't know that it's good or bad.

When i had bad OHSS my clinic suggested me to eat lots of protein products, products with lots of salt in it(i.e. V8) , no carbs at all, gatorad water. Also, they have prescribed me medications for the gas trouble, nausea and pain.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

RBM, I had major cramping when I got pregnant - be glad the OHSS is going away - that means it is being managed well!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks All for all your moral support. It helps me a lot.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

RBM- I agree with Frankie, be very glad ohss is gone now. ohss has nothing to do with your pregnancy, so no with ohss pain gone, you can really enjoy your PG!!

I am not as lucky as you though, ohss is still here. Still have tonnes of fluid and my ovaries are huge!! But all my electrolyte levels seem to be ok.

Now I was drinking Power Quencher, a President's Choice brand of electrolyte drink and my RE told me that he prefers if I drink Gatorade only because it is the only drink that they actually did a study on with ohss and so that is the only one he knows that works for sure. So, I will go back to Gatorade (it has alot more sugar, ugh!)

The last couple of days, I have completely taken the carbs out of my diet as well, but I wasn't eating much carbs anyways, there was no room for it in my stomach.

If I don't improve next week, RE will drain me. I hope it goes down on its own, but thankfully if not, I can look forward to some relief, even if it is induced!!

RBM- what meds did they give you for the gas?? I was not given anything. Only told to take Extra Strength Tylenol for the pain. And I do have gas! (tmi) But I thought that was from the progesterone, not ohss??

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:53 AM

ok, I had an incredible night, getting up constantly to go to the washroom. This morning I feel abit better. I still weigh the same and my belly is still severely bloated and big,but the discomfort has gone down! :woohoo:

My ovaries from yesterday were on the left 10.5x10 and on the right 9x3. Hence my excruciating pain for the last 2 wks!! But I am hopeful that I am on the mend. I still have fluid in my lungs, but I am hoping it will also go down.

RBM- I hope I can just enjoy my PG now too like you!! How are you doing??

I wonder if its because I took ALL the carbs out of my diet yesterday like you RBM. I was starving, but maybe it helped. I am going to do the same today as well.

I am so excited that ohss is getting better finally!!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

I am very glad to hear that you are feeling better. Now you can just focus on the joys of being pregnant.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

thanks Sabrina. I know that I am not out of the woods just yet though. I will see how I feel tonight as the afternoons and evenings are always much worse than the mornings for me. But I am hopeful that things will continue to get better!

#60 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ISIS

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi NGU,

I'm still following along and am very glad to hear you're feeling better. I hope you get better everyday.

I'm getting bigger and heavier and it's only day post ET. So I have an appointment with the clinic tomorrow for an assessment. This is so not fun! I always wondered what I'd look like pregnant - now I look to be at least 5 months! So sad.

Hi to everyone, hope you're enjoying your SUnday.

ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006
DH diagnosed with azoospermia July 9, 2007
November 19, 2009 - it's a GIRL

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

hi RO, oh oh. are you developing ohss?? I was getting really bloated and getting big the day after ET as well. I really hope you don't have ohss. Drink lots of gatorade. At least 1 L to 2 L daily. AND it must be gatorade. I was drinking power quencher and I don't think it works as well as gatorade and my RE says they have only did studies that gatorade works, not the other brands, so don't waste your time on the other stuff!!

I look like I am 5- 6 months PG as well. Although I felt abit better this morning, I am still in alot of discomfort and now I am back to the usual pain. I get worse as the day progresses. I am peeing tonnes but havent lost a single lb either. ha! Ohss is mean!

I am really hoping you do not have ohss, I think its the toughest part of all the ivf treatments/side effects.
:crsd: :crsd:

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

I had over the counter 'walgreens' brand 'Comfort Gel' for antacid and anti gas and i took it only two times. After that i stopped it because by that time my ohss was gone. Now i am eating everything and still it's fine.

OHSS: Also try to avoid milk products, most of the fruits except grapes.

Ok, i have developed new symptoms yesterday night: i got rashes yesterday night and i am feeling really hot. I am thinking about having lots of milk , grapes so that i can keep my body cool.

I still have some lower back pain and very mild headaches since yesterday. Today is my day 24th. And, i am going for blood test on Tuesday.

Edited by RBM, 10 February 2008 - 12:57 PM.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

avoid milk products?? i never heard that before and i have been eating cgeese as a protein when i don't feel like eating. it doesn't seem to bother me....and no fruit? that can't be healthy. i am worried about what to eat for ohssand what to eat cuz i am pg. how confusing!

hope your rash goes away. what is b/w for??

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hi, Actually my clinic (stanford) gave me a list of food to avoid during OHHS. But also when they gave me that list, i wasn't pregnant means right after ET. I followed that list till OSHH was gone( 4 days ). Now i eat and drink everything. In your case, its a different story means now you are pregnant too and you also have OSHH. So, i think you should ask your dr. first about avoiding food products for few days till OHHS disappears so you don't suffer from OSHH through out your pregnancy. And i am sure because of OHHS you are not able to eat properly so i think there is nothing wrong in avoiding food products for few days till you control OHHS and have everything after that till you deliver your baby.

Here is a list provided by my clinic and i followed it strictly for 4 days.

Diet to help with ohhs symptoms.
---------------------------------------

A. fluids
Drink at least 6 - 8 ounce glasses of liquids making half of it gatorade or other sport drinks.

B. High Quality protein/breads and cereals
1. Lean meat, fish, poultry and eggs
2. Soy protein such as TOFU
3. Natural cheese, (cheddar, swiss and colby), in small amounts.
4. Bread, (White, Rye, sourdough, french or italian).
5. English muffins and bagels.
6. Plain rice
7. Oatmeal, cream of wheat
8. Tortillas
9. Cereal, (not bran).

C. Eat these fruits and vegetables.
lettuce
wax beans
1 small apple

Avoid fruits and vegetables high in potassium
----------------------------------------------------
A. Fruits/vegetables and other foods

oranges, orange juice
bananas
grapefruit
apricots
cantaloupe
kiwi
nectarines
pears
honeydew melon
dried fruits
prune juice
ushrooms
tomatoes
spinach
broccoli
avocados
potatoes
vegetable juice

b. other foods to avoid
bran and whole grain
milk , yogurt and chocolate
legumes nuts, peanut butter, dried beans, seeds, lentils.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

oh boy, i was eating lots of the foods on the avoid list! thx for this ;ist, i will ask my reabout some of this.

#66 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thank for the list RBM. I'm pretty sure I just ate everything I wasn't supposed to.
I was told to drink gatorade, chicken broth, V8 and potato chips.
I'll ask the RE tomorrow, but this list is great.

Thanks again,
ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

ro, I tried the potato chip thing and it might work for some but it actually made me feel alot worse. I do find if I stick to straight proteins and non starchy vegies, I feel the best.

I have even eaten cheese and I find it feels good for me as a light snack to tide my humger when I felt so bloated and full of pain.

#68 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hey NGU,

Feeling better today? I'm 1 lb heavier and 2 cm wider but I feel the same. Went to the clinic for an assessment and have to go back at 11 for and ultrasound. Depending on my bloodwork they may be proactive and drain me tomorrow - we'll have to wait and see.

I've cut the chips since I read here that carbs may be bad for ohss and have been eating cheese for extra protein. But honestly, does anyone have the "right" answer on what to eat and not eat?

What else have you been doing that you think has helped?

ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hey Guys,

As far as food goes, I was not put on any type of special diet at the hospital. The doctors said I could eat whatever I wanted...as long as I still kept up with drinking my Gatorade and Ensure. I got DH to bring me take out everyday...I can't stand hospital food.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Ro, that is great that your clinic is being proactive. I wished I got drained last week. I was in so much pain and discomfort. They could have taken 12 lbs of fluid outta me!!

I found since sticking to a fairly strict diet of proteins with vegies (non-starchy vegies) I got better. I found when I ate starchy foods, it just bloated me out more and made me feel more uncomfortable and I could only eat 2 bites of startchy foods and then I was stuffed whereas I could eat a bit more if it was protein and vegies. Since I am PG, I wanted to eat foods that could pack the most nutritional punch since I really couldn't eat much, so this is what I opted for.

My RE said drink only Gatorade, not the other brands of electrolyte drinks since he has only read about Gatordae studies being successful and they haven't tested the other brands to see if they would be the same or not. I did drink Power Quencher (a President's Choice brand) for the first week, but the day I switched to Gatorade, I was getting better. That may have been the gatorade or not, who knows.

FYI - I no longer have fluid in my lungs today. Yippeee!!! BUT, from all the fluid in my lungs all last week, it has triggered my asthma! I woke up having trouble breathing and coughing. So RE prescribed my a asthma puffeer. I hate having to take any meds right now, but I do need to breathe, so I opted to listen to their advice. lol!

Has anyone else heard of asthman getting triggered by ohss??

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

I have not used EPT to diagnose pregnancy yet. Tomorrow is a day for the blood test. I am just scared.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

Good luck RBM!!! My fingers are crossed for you!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks. Is it ok to do EPT today at home?

Do you think that , it will show me a right result?

#74 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks NGU and Sabrina for the continued advice.
NGU, I'm so glad you're feeling better every day.
I want this to go away so bad but I also know that if pregnant it will get worse - so I'm stuck between wnting to get better and wanting to get worse! How ridiculous.

RBM - the blood teat is definitely more accurate at this stage but many women on my cycling thread HPT'd before their beta and got the same result. Good luck :)

ro

Edited by RI29, 11 February 2008 - 06:24 PM.

ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hi RBM, I would stay away from those evil pee sticks if you can. If you can hold off till your real beta, its always better since its accurate and hpt are not.

RO, I know exactly what you feeling, when RE told me that I had ohss and that it could mean that I am PG, I didn't know if I wanted to keep ohss or not. But then, my ohss got so bad, I couldn't think about anything! I didn't even worry about every little cramp I was feeling because the pain from ohss was all consuming. So in one way, it was good because it took the everyday stresses of 2ww off abit but I only replaced it with ohss pains. I am now going on wk 3 of ohss, and although its getting better, it is by no means gone. I am still planning on taking this week off work as well as I am definetely not well enuf to go to work still.

So that means I have almost taken off 3 wks with ER and ET week included. I am not looking forward to going back now with a huge pileup!

I hope you do and don't have ohss Ro!