- - - - -

ohss

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

oh god, I am over one week already and my symptoms are not getting any better. I am drinking power quencher, 2L a day. But I was not told to mix it with water.....hmmmmm, my re doesn't think its necessary to drink water just as long as I drink the power quencher/gatorade.

I have already taken a week and a half off work not including the week when I was doing the ER and ET. I don't know how much longer I can take off work.

well thanks HCMM, I hope my ohss goes away soon, I can't just keep expanding here!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi there,

I too did not have fluid drained but was told to drink 1 litre of gatorade, and 1 can of v 8 juice - no water. Also lots of protien. My sister who had IVF had it worse than me. She did have to have fluid drained, but did not have to go to the hospital. Is your clinic seeing you often?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

hi Frankie,
my clinic has been great, I go about every day and they check my electrolyte levels and fluids. I do actually have fluids in my lungs, but my breathing hasn't been too bad. so far they haven't recommend draining although I was pretty close a few times to getting it done.

I am in alot of pain still but I am hoping it will be all be worth it. I find out today what my beta is....

was it painful when your sis got drained??

How long did your ohss last?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

NGU,

My OHSS lasted for a few weeks. It was unbearable for the first week, that is why I was admitted to the hospital. I couldn't breathe properly because of the fluid in my lungs. Another thing to watch out for is decreased urine output. I stopped urinating and I had to get a catheter placed in and then they also gave me a protein solution called albumin...they had told me at the hospital that if I wasn't pregnant then the OHSS would resolve fairly quickly, but the pregnancy causes the symptoms to stick around for longer. I remember when I was in the hospital I was crying and saying "this is not worth it" but the only thing that kept me going was the doctor's reassuring me that I was pregnant.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi Dr. I have been diagnosed with OSHH after ER and it got worst after ET till yesterday (day 6). I went to the clinic and now i am feeling better. All OSHH symptoms are gone. Yesterday I had been pushing really hard for vomiting. I am just scared that all my OSHH symptoms are gone and now i am having lower back pain(PMS symptoms). Any clue?

Edited by RBM, 07 February 2008 - 12:50 PM.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi there,

Mine lasted for about 3 weeks, but I was on the protocol for 7 weeks because I hyperstimulated early on and then I got pregnant. My sister said it wasn't that painful to get it drained. She did it all at the clinic. I had to go to the hospital at one point because I could not stop throwing up, but it became better after about a couple of weeks.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

oh that's scary Frankie, that it took that long! Did you missed work all those weeks??

I have already missed one week of work when I did my ER and ET and now with ohss, I have missed 7 days additional days. I hope to go back sometime next week but I don't know. My symptoms are not letting up at all.

Did you do anything else besides drink lots of gatorade??

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hi there,

No, I missed about a week and a half. My sister actually did not miss much work at all considering she was going to the clinic to get drained. I drank 1 litre of gatorade a day and 1 can of v8 juice. I was also told to eat lots of protien and to weigh myself and measure my tummy everyday. You probably will start to feel much better soon, but not 100% for a bit.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

so it sounds like i was told to do petty much the same thing. except i was never toldabout v8, i'm going to ask my RE about that cuz i love V8 juice!

i am in so much discomfort i can barely walk or sit forlong, so i think it might take me longer than you and your sis.

isee you are P, so i assume the ohss has not harmed your PG?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

My clinic instructed me to drink Ensure along with Gatorade. I even continued both drinks when I was in the hospital. You may want to ask your RE about it.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

sabrina- i was thinking about drinking ensure as well, but i really can't stand that stuff. My Re just says eat protein, avoid starches and I find that even if I have abit of starches, it expands in my belly even worse, so I just have non-starchy vegs and protein, but I eat such small amts! I am not tired though cuz of al the sugar from gatorade, actually I drink Power Quencher, its a president's choice brand and it has less sugar.

Did you feel that ohss posed any risks to you while you were PG. I see you have given birth to twins!! Congrats, that makes me less worried about my ohss.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

I had a pretty severe case of OHSS and the doctors never suggested that there was a concern about my pregnancy. OHSS will become more severe and persist longer if pregnancy is successful. In my case, the doctors at the hospital suspected multiples because of how severe my OHSS was. Most treatment for OHSS is typically supportive, although people may need to be treated or hospitalized for pain, and intravenous hydration. In most cases, it does not get more serious than that. The key is to be monitored everyday and it is a good thing that your clinic is doing that. I know you feel terrible right now but just think about holding your beautiful baby...I know it worked for me.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

No, it did not harm the baby at all (I am 14 weeks and feel great!). My sister gave birth to a little boy last May, so it also did no harm. Congrats on your pregnancy!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

thanks Sabrina and Frankie. I wonder if I will have multiples since my ohss is sooo bad. Its not bad enuf to go to the hospital to get drained but I am pretty close to it. I also do have abit of fluid in my lungs as well, so I have it pretty bad.

I will try to stay positive about being PG. I just can't even move I've so bloated!

Thanks for the encouraging words, I was starting to worry about ohss and PG.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

You and your baby or maybe babies are going to be just fine. Do you have another beta scheduled or just an ultrasound?

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

well I see RE on Sat again, and I think they will do b/w to check on ohss, I think they would do another hcg but I am not sure. They said I have ultasound in 2 wks but I didn't get a date from them yet.....

ow did it feel when the ohss was subsiding?? were you just going to the washroom alot??

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

?

Attached Files

Edited by RBM, 08 February 2008 - 01:06 AM.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

Thanks Frankie. All OHSS symptoms are gone but cramps are still there. These are exactly what happens before i get my period.

Attached Files

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:03 AM

What do you think Sabrina? All my OSHH symptoms are gone and cramps are there. What does it mean?

#45 RO'sBaby

RO'sBaby
  • 1000+
  • 1110 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ISIS

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi NGU,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still thinking of you and hoping you get better very soon.
I have been following the thread everyday, absorbing every word since I also have mild OHSS now and transfer is planned for Saturday (if all is well).

To the ladies that have shared their stories and provided advice - Thank you!

All the best,
ro
ME-31, DH-29
TTC since May 2006
DH diagnosed with azoospermia July 9, 2007
November 19, 2009 - it's a GIRL

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

RBM- cramping could be implantation. I am now 15dpt and I still feel cramps and since I got a bfp, I can only think its my embies growing amd snuggling in my uterine lining for the 9 months. So hopefully this is the same for you!!

Ro- I hope all goes well with ET tommorrow. Keep drinking your electrolytes, you do not want your mild ohss to turn worse, trust me on that one!! I saw RE yesterday and apparently I do have fluid in my lungs and I didn;t know all week!! But the good news is that the fluid in my lungs seemed to have gone down abit but the rest of the fluid is still there in my belly area! My breathing hsa been abit different, and I slept in an upright osition last night. That was not fun at all!

I feel a tiny bit better this morning so I am hoping that everyday I will improve! My Re also said not to lie around all day with ohss, try to move around every hr or so to prevent blood clotting and I think that helps the ohss as well.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

NGU, eventually the pain just started to subside. The first sign that I was getting better was that I could breathe easier but my bloated tummy lasted for quite some time after and I was definitely going to the bathroom much more than usual. Just to give you an idea...I came out of the hospital and had to jump right into maternity clothes and by the time the bloating was coming down from the OHSS, I started showing. So, basically I wore maternity clothes for my entire pregnancy. I am assuming you had a lot of follicles at ER...I had 41. If you don't mind me asking...how much weight have you gained from the OHSS? Are you weighing yourself daily and measuring your tummy?

RBM, I am not sure exactly what that means. Maybe you just had a mild case of OHSS and like NGU said the cramping could be from implantation.

Ro, I am glad you are educating yourself now on OHSS so that you know all the symptoms to look out for. My first cycle got cancelled due to risk of OHSS so after that I read everything I could on OHSS. So, when I did get severe OHSS on my third attempt, I was prepared for everything. I was even telling nurses at the hospital how to treat me...a lot of hospital staff don't know too much about OHSS.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

hi Sabrina,

well i started to go to the washroom abit more yesterday, so today the bloating isn't quite as painfulbut still very uncomfortable, especially after having a bite to. and its only a bite of food!! i have gained 12 lbs or so nowsince i started to weigh myself. i have gained about 3 inches in girth, but i didn't measure myself from the beginning so it could be more then 3 inches. i could have worn maternity clothes from the start since the ohss made me so bloated nothing fits me right now except my baggy pjs!!

i didn't have that manyfollies, 12 at ER time, but perhaps i did have more that weren't mature but RE didn't tell me how many in total. i think i got ohss cuz RE gave me an additional hcg shot after ET. it was supposedly to help boost implantation. but later that night after the needle, that is when my belly was expanding like crazy. i was given the extra hcg because they thought i was at no risk for ohss. what a mistake that was!

i try and not get bad about how this might have been prevented cuz that won't make me feel any better.

even though belly isn't in as much pain today, i am still as big. bloating has not gone down at all. my back is killing me too with the added weight and pressure.

so sabrina, does this mean you had ohss symptoms for months??

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

NGU,

I can't remember the exact timeline, but I remember that the bloating from the OHSS took forever to come off (maybe 6 weeks after I came home from the hospital)...but I wasn't in pain the entire 6 weeks...I just felt bloated I also started showing very early on due to the twins. I gained almost 100lbs in my pregnancy (I started out at 128lbs and I weighed in at 222lbs the day of my c-section).

I know exactly how you feel but I can guarantee you that once you hold your baby in your arms this will all be a distant memory.

Sabrina

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

OMG!!! 100 lbs. That is crazy. now that isn't how much weight someone usually gains from twins is it??? I am scared since I have already gained the 12 lbs, so I am starting big already, only to get eve bigger! I ofetn wonder if I am carrying multiples and that is why my ohss is so bad. DO you think there is a co-relation between bad ohss and multiples??

i think I am going to be like you. my pain is slowing decreasing today but the bloating hasn't gone down at all. I don't want to start showing yet!! Plus, I gained about 10 lbs from when I started to cycle with all the meds, so i am looking big even before the ohss. I just dont want my work to know until I pass the 1st trimester.