22 replies to this topic

#1 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

I have a follow-up tomorrow with my RE regarding my failed cycles. I'd be interested to hear any recommendation or even questions that I could ask my RE. I am aware that there is a list here of WTF questions. However, it would be nice to hear more suggestions specific to my case. Here goes the summary:

me- PCOS (retroverted uterus)

dh - male factor

procedures done:

4 failed IUI

IVF with ICSI (agonist trigger protocol) (endometrin and estrace for luteal phase support)

23 eggs, 17 were mature 12 fertilized and 9 made it to day 5

fresh transfer - BFP; bleeding at 5-6 weeks; heartbeat and growth stopped at 7/8 weeks.

FET 1 (Estrace and Crinone) - negative

FET 2 (Estrace and Crinone) - chemical (beta dropped)

FET 3 of 2-day5 (Estrace and Crinone) - negative

tests/screening done:

HSG, Sonohysterogram, Hysteroscopy - all normal

Immune testing, clotting disorder, karyotyping - blood test screening all came back normal

After my early loss/miscarriage last year, my RE did not encourage me to do PGD since the likelihood of having all bad eggs/embryos is supposed to be low. A year later I have only 4 embryos left and all failed cycles, I'm at a loss. We don't have the funds to do another fresh cycle anytime soon so I'll probably have to hit the bank once again. Maybe it'll be worth doing PGD next time. 

I have tried acupuncture, herbal supplements (as well as DH), BBT, meditation, counselling, and other tips and recommendation that were given to us by the fertile people around us. Is there anything else that I could do? Would it be worth asking for intralipids, IVIG, Aspirin, etc?  Any further testing? Autoimmune? Alloimmune? Perhaps there was/were some stuff that got missed or have not been explored?

Thanks for reading this.

(admin: please feel free to move this post, if necessary)

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#2 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

I don't have any real advice to give you, but just wanted to share my story as maybe there are some similarities.... I've had 6 transfers, 5 bfp, 1 negative, 1 beautiful son and hoping to welcome another babe in a month. When I questioned whether there was something wrong with me since we kept having chemicals and one Mc, I was told it was likely an embryo issue. Obviously we were so very fortunate to have had success so far but there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to which of our embryos resulted in successes. My re doesn't do any of the immune testing or other more experimental type of treatments. All she recommended was possibly having a mock cycle and testing whether my uterine lining was receptive at the point they would usually do a transfer. We didn't end up doing this since we had had one successful pregnancy already but maybe you could ask about that test if you haven't had it done already??the only other thing we tried was an endometrial scratch on the cycle before our transfer. It didn't help us but that embryo wasn't all that great to begin with either.....
I'm so hoping and praying for you that you will get your long awaited little miracle with one of your remaining 4 embryos.....

I hope your meeting with the re goes well and he or she has some insight.....

Please keep us posted on how things go....
  • lumnay likes this
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#3 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Intralipids, aspirin, neupogen shot, endometrial scratch, even embryo glue... there are a lot of things that may or may not help, but very low risk and won't hurt... (and low cost, in the grand scheme of things).  In your position, I'd really want to "throw everything at it" that might have even a tiny chance of helping.  Didn't help me unfortunately, but I have seen some for whom it does.

• nervus optimist, Ola1981 and lumnay like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#4 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Honestly, 4 embryos left sounds pretty amazing. 4 amazing chances to be a parent. My personal preference is to transfer one at a time as I do worry that the outcome of one may negatively impact the outcome of another when transferred together. My last, and only successful cycle included neupogen and intralipids. Hard to know if they are what made the difference but they are worth considering. As is embryo glue mentioned above. The truth is that IF is a cruel numbers game. The odds are that eventually you will get PG, but even if everything is perfect, there is a chance that you won't and there is no way for doctors to predict or explain that. It just doesn't always happen. Ask what you can do, or what could be changed about your protocol, to help stack the odds in your favour. 

Best of luck

:flowers:

• mouse, hamiltwin, CdnHockeyGal and 2 others like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#5 kristeen033

kristeen033
  • Cyclebase
  • 498 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

My clinic had me take Aspirin and I think it's standard protocol they have everyone take it. Supposed to help with lining. I also used a fertility hypnosis MP3 that I listened to once a day for about a month before and right up until the day of the transfer. It is supposed to help a lot. Apparently it helps with stress levels and keeping you relaxed and your uterus relaxed.Here is the link to the one I downloaded. And I am not sure if it is a coincidence but the times I didn't listen to it before I  always had a failed FET.

http://www.hypnosisd...rth/infertility

• lumnay likes this

Me: 37, Tubal Ligation 2002, Tubal Reversal 2008
DH: 34, Normal
DS 16yrs & DD 14yrs from previous marriage
Trying for 7 years
November 2009 - BFP - Chemical Pregnancy
September 2011 - Clomid 3 rounds all BFN
March 2012 - Start IVF #1 at RFP in Calgary
April 2012 - 16 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized, 8 5 day blasts
Transfered 1 hatching blast - BFP!!!!! 7 blasts frozen.
May 2012 - 7 week U/S - baby measured good and had heartbeat
June 2012 - Stopped Prometrium 10 weeks, started bleeding 3 days later, U/S showed baby died right after 7 week U/S
August 25, 2012 - Start Suprefact for FET #1
September 8, 2012 - Start Estrace
September 21, 2012 - U/S Booked!
September 26, 2012 - FET Transferred one perfect blast. F/X
October 6, 2012 - 10dp5dt BFFN
October 9, 2012 - POAS test at Doctor's Office BFN
November 27, 2012 - Start Suprefact for FET #2
December 29, 2012 - U/S Booked
January 3, 2013 - Transferred One Hatching Blast!!! Still have 3 more in the freezer
January 10, 2013 - 7dp5dt - HPT - BFP!!!!!!
January 15, 2013 - Beta 96
January 17, 2013 - Beta 16 = Chemical Pregnancy
January 19, 2013 - FRER HPT - BFFN
June 6, 2013 - FET #3 - Starting Suprefact...hoping third time is the charm!
July 3, 2013 - U/S Booked
July 9, 2013 - FET date!!!
July 20, 2013 - 11dp5dt HPT = BFN sad.png
July 2014 - Fresh IVF Cycle Estrogen Priming Protocol

August 2, 2014 - 24 eggs retrieved!

August 3, 2014 - 11 Eggs fertilized

August 7, 2014 - Transferred 1 beautiful blast. 3 more frozen.

August 8, 2014 - Got call from clinic 6 more blasts frozen!!!  9 snow babies total and one in the oven smile.png

August 20, 2014 - First beta BFN

February 1, 2015 - FET Natural Cycle - Transferred 2 blasts one hatched. FXFX!!!

February 6, 2015 - POAS even though I know it's early...and surprise...BFP!!!!

February 10, 2015 - 9dp5dt - BFP on Clearblue Digital!!!!! th_abfp.gifyahoo.gif

February 19, 2015 - Beta 8928!!!! EDD Oct 23/15

March 7, 2015 - Ultrasound shows TWINS!!!! 2 little beans measuring 8 weeks with two little flutters for heartbeats preggo.gif

March  31, 2015 - 11 Weeks U/S. Baby A measures 11w3d Baby B measures 11w5d!!!!

May 2015 - 5 month ultrasound. Both babies look fantastic!!!! TEAM GREEN!!!giggle.gif

October 5, 2015 - C-Section date booked to meet my little babes!!! Can't wait the countdown is on!!!!!

September 19, 2015 - Babies decided to make an early appearance at 35 weeks 4 days!!!

Connor Melvin - Born 5:11am weighing 4lb15oz

Emily May - Born 5:13am weighing 5lb8oz

We are so in love! babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif

#6 pcanoe

pcanoe
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:My dog
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Lumnay my heart goes out to you, I know exactly how it feels as your experience closely mirrors my own. I do not have any insight or any more questions you could ask your RE I just wanted to reach out to show my support. I thought with my last FET I left no stone unturned but in the end that was not enough. With my next FET I will take the advice kristeen003 and listen to the fertility hynosis she provided to the extent she mentioned as that is not something I have done. I hope this next transfer you will get your miracle baby you so deserve. Best of luck.

• lumnay likes this

TTC since Oct 2012

IUI # 1 June 2015 - BFN

IVF # 1 Sept 2015 - 33 eggs retrieved, 30 mature, 25 fertilized with ICSI & frozen

FET # 1 Oct 2015- 1 embryo transferred - BFN

FET # 2 Dec 2015 - 1 embryo transferred - th_abfp.gif

Beta 12 dp5dt 95

Beta 19 dp5dt 2904

Beta 23 dp5dt 6984

Beta 26 dp5dt 200

Misscarried at 6 weeks 8388.gif

Planning to transfer 2 embryos Spring 2016

FET # 3 - Mar 31 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's

Beta Apr 11 crsd.gif

Beta 12dp5dt 191 yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 14dp5dt 642

Beta 19dp5dt 5133

Heartbeat measuring 86 bpm @ 6w0d

8w5d u/s shows no heartbeat cry.gif 8388.gif

7 frosties of 8 tested normal w/ CCS

FET # 4 - Nov 1, 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's (CCS tested)

Beta Nov 14 crsd.gif

Beta 13dp5dt 925  yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 15dp5dt 2301

Beta 20dp5dt 20936

6w4d u/s shows twins hb's of 115 &122

#7 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

Lumnay,

I am in the same boat as you, and I understand how frustrating it is. What makes it even more frustrating is that all testing usually comes back normal. My almost successful pregnancy of my precious baby girl happened because I had my arcuated uterus corrected, given extra progesterone, six times a day and a thick tri lining at 9.8 mm. Also I was given neupogen shots up until ten weeks of pregnancy and prednisone for ten days.  Progesterone was prometrium orally and suppositores.  I would have carried my baby to term if it was not for that horrible defect. I wish you peace and an abundance of hope that you get your wish. I will be following your story.

• lumnay likes this

#8 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

Ola1981 - I hope I get lucky like you.

SunshineTTC - thanks, I'll do one more cycle before pushing for the other stuff you listed. Thanks for the ideas.

nervus optimist - yes, having 4 embryos sounds good but I'm beginning to doubt whether they'd even work. Yes, I'll try transferring one at a time.

kristeen033 - thanks, I've been trying to do mindfulness meditation. I don't know about hypnosis but I'll look into it.

pcanoe -thanks! hopefully we'll both get lucky on our next transfer.

amazing grace - sorry about your loss.  I also wish you success.  How did you find the neupogen shots and prednisone during your last cycle?

Thanks for replying.  My follow-up appointment went okay but I'm not doing a transfer until November. My RE suggested adding Puregon shots during my next FET cycle. That means I'll ovulate so there's higher risk for multiples but at this point I really don't mind that. He explained that maybe I need to let my body make its own estrogen and progesterone instead of just relying solely on Estrace (and Crinone). 

Has anybody done this? I'd like to know how it went and if it actually worked for anybody here.  

I asked about ERA (endometrial receptivity) but he said there is not enough concrete evidence that it really increases the odds.  He doesn't recommend other changes either (i.e. Intralipids, aspirin, neupogen shot, endometrial scratch, even embryo glue) so I guess I'll have to give this Puregon-FET a try. If it fails again (hopefully not), then I'll most likely push for the other stuff. If I end up doing another fresh cycle next year, I'll definitely do PGD.
  • mouse likes this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#9 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:13 AM

lumnay I just noticed the addition to you signature... amen!

• lumnay and Aiglee like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#10 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Just an update in case anybody was following this post.  (WARNING: pregnancy mentioned)

My last FET cycle worked.  I had low-dose ovarian stimulation that helped me ovulate. It turns out my body like to use its own estrogen and progesterone to thicken my lining. I didn't have Estrace and Crinone until after the trigger. I was on low-dose Puregon and by cd14-15 my lining was good enough for transfer. I also insisted to be put on Medrol and Aspirin. By beta day, I got 473 (9dp5dt) and two days later it was 1154.  

As I write this post, I'm 7w1d and I hope I could continue posting positive updates on this story. Tomorrow will be my first ultrasound and I'm terrified. I prefer to see strong heartbeat(s) this time and hopefully it won't stop like it did last year. So far things are looking promising but we'll wait until tomorrow. 

I'm writing this post not to recommend a particular cycle/protocol but just to say that sometimes it could work.... and I hope this one will give me at least one healthy baby in my arms by July 2017.

Thanks for reading!

• mouse, gibasgirl, ENF and 4 others like this

#11 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

I hope all goes well Lumnay. I hope your ultrasound goes well tomorrow.
  • gibasgirl and lumnay like this

See about me page.

#12 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

Oh lumnay. I'm so hopeful for you!!!! I've got everything crossed. Really!

See about me page.

#13 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

I'm thinking of you today lumnay. 

#14 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

All the best, Lumnay.
  • lumnay likes this

#15 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Sitting anxiously in the exam room. The anxiety is intense!

#16 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hugs!
  • lumnay likes this
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#17 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3254 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hoping for the best for you lumnay

• lumnay likes this

#18 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

(Warning: pregnancy mentioned)

Hi everyone. Good news! I had my ultrasound today at 7w2d and we saw two embryos measuring on track with heartbeats at 152 and 154! Thanks for the support. I'm grateful and at the same time still trying to process this news.

Keeping my fingers crossed while sending love to everyone here.

L
  • mouse, Yearning, Seem14 and 4 others like this

#19 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

Oh my goodness....what a wonderful update! I wish you continued health lumnay!

• lumnay likes this

#20 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

Huzzah!
  • lumnay likes this
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#21 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Oh lumnay! What great news!
  • lumnay likes this

See about me page.

#22 Red Wine

Red Wine