Second opinion from a professional..
I just finished a fresh cycle 2 months ago. I retrieved 12 eggs, 9 fertilised without ICSI and out of those 9, 5 grew to day 5. Out of the 5 we put back one which was graded 19 out of 20 buy our clinic.
I achieved a chemical pregnancy which I know because I took pregnancy tests early to confirm negative (I didn't want to get a positive because of my trigger shot) and then took a pregnancy test a few days later and got a faint positive at 6 days post a 5 day transfer. I took a test every two days for a week (I had that many tests so I figured I would use them). Every test came back positive, slightly darker in the results but not HUGE. Then on 13 days post a 5 day transfer my tests started coming back negative. So according to what i read, that seems like textbook chemical pregnancy.
When discussing with our clinic during our follow up, they said that even though you can have a "perfect embryo" it doesn't mean that there are no genetic abnormalities and that my body acts as a natural screen by rejecting the embryo. While this is reassuring that my body is doing its job.. I'm nervous that all my embryos could have abnormalities. We have 4 frozen, which at the time of freezing we ended up with two blasts graded 19 and 20, and we have two early blasts graded 9 and 10. The doctor said that if they thaw them, they would let them grow a little more and then give them another grading if they make it to extended blasts. But really, they feel the two best quality ones are the best I have.
So here is my thing. We didn't do genetic testing on our embryos as 1) my doctor didn't feel it necessary. I am 37, have a 4 year old son that was conceived naturally, and I have no explained fertility issues. and 2) it was an extra 5000 to do the testing and we just didn't want to put more financial strain on us.
My doctor recommended that "if" we went through all 4 embryos and are not successful, and if we decide to do another protocol, she would THEN recommend genetic testing.
I guess my question is this... if the one we implanted had a genetic abnormality, does that mean likely all my embryos have the same problem? Also, could i have achieved a chemical pregnancy and there NOT have been a genetic problem? Perhaps something else wasn't going well and my body stopped? I'm just looking for a sliver of hope that one of my remaining embryos could be our baby. As I am sure you know, this process is so hard on the heart and I just need hope.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
I took menupur and Gonal F shots for 10 days before my retrieval. Doctors said that I responded well to the drugs and that my lining was thickening up beautifully prior to implantation.