FET after age 40...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ivfafter40_*

Guest_ivfafter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:15 PM

dear dr.
we are about to undergo our first fet after 6 ivf attempts.
i am age 42. our first cycle was at age 39. we have 10 froozen embryo's and we plan to defrost all of them and use as many as we have survive.
we have never had very good quality embryos, although all have survived icsi and have gone on to 3, 4 or 5 cell by day 3.
there is much fragmentation, and my husband had a very poor 'sperm chromosome' test result using the univ of kansas dna fragmentation score (that i understand some r.e's don't think much of).
i am wondering if we have much chance of getting pregnant with any of these embryos?
we did acheive a positive preg test using one from this batch, but it never reached heart beat stage, and had a few chromosomal abnormalities (sperm or egg related? still a question).
what is your opinion about our chances?
we are going to move on to donor eggs next attempt, but we are praying for a good result with this our next attempt.
any thoughts?

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:41 AM

dear dr.
we are about to undergo our first fet after 6 ivf attempts.
i am age 42. our first cycle was at age 39. we have 10 froozen embryo's and we plan to defrost all of them and use as many as we have survive.

I would not be happy to transfer more than 3 embryos

we have never had very good quality embryos, although all have survived icsi and have gone on to 3, 4 or 5 cell by day 3.
there is much fragmentation, and my husband had a very poor 'sperm chromosome' test result using the univ of kansas dna fragmentation score (that i understand some r.e's don't think much of).

This is useful information but not always 'diagnostic' as many men with very high fragmentation have produced embryos which result in babies.

i am wondering if we have much chance of getting pregnant with any of these embryos?

The FET preganancy rate is usually around 10% less than the fresh rate for a given clinic.

we did acheive a positive preg test using one from this batch, but it never reached heart beat stage, and had a few chromosomal abnormalities (sperm or egg related? still a question).
what is your opinion about our chances?

See above, around 10% less than fresh

we are going to move on to donor eggs next attempt, but we are praying for a good result with this our next attempt.
any thoughts?

Good luck with this cycle!

Peter

Please see my comments in your text:
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#3 [email protected]_*

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:22 PM

dr doctor...

it is now 8 days post transfer.
we thawed all 10 embryos, and 6 survived.

as we expected, they all divided, but there was alot of fragmentation (ranging from 10% to over 30%).
the cells did not 'compact' at day 3 post thaw as our embryologist mentioned he was hoping they would.
none were even consdired 'good' quality...all fair to poor.

we transferred all 6.

so here we are.

my questions now are:
1. my estrodiol and progesterone levels were both VERY HIGH yesterday when we tested. (5 times the min).
i am taking 2cc progesterone in oil im daily, and 0.25cc estadiol im twice a week.

do these numbers mean anything?

in each of my previous (fresh) cycles (6) my numbers were always low, except the one when we had a chem pregnancy at which time the numbers were somewhat higher...

2. is there a chance we can conceive with poor quality fragmented embryos with this fet cycle?

3. is there a chance of multiples?
that is, does it happen?
as i mentioned on my first post, i was age 38 or 39 when we frooze one or 2 of these embies...(i am confusing all the details as it's been quite a while and quite a ride since those early cycles).

thanks for your reply.

karen

#4 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

dr doctor...

it is now 8 days post transfer.
we thawed all 10 embryos, and 6 survived.

as we expected, they all divided, but there was alot of fragmentation (ranging from 10% to over 30%).
the cells did not 'compact' at day 3 post thaw as our embryologist mentioned he was hoping they would.
none were even consdired 'good' quality...all fair to poor.

we transferred all 6.

Wow! Lets hope all 6 do not implant!!

so here we are.

my questions now are:
1. my estrodiol and progesterone levels were both VERY HIGH yesterday when we tested. (5 times the min).
i am taking 2cc progesterone in oil im daily, and 0.25cc estadiol im twice a week.

do these numbers mean anything?

Not really as you are taking extra progesterone. The high levels are expected

in each of my previous (fresh) cycles (6) my numbers were always low, except the one when we had a chem pregnancy at which time the numbers were somewhat higher...

2. is there a chance we can conceive with poor quality fragmented embryos with this fet cycle?

Yes, I have seen such embryos result in a pregnancy many times

3. is there a chance of multiples?

Yes, especially when 6 embryos are transferred

that is, does it happen?

yes

Good luck!

Peter

as i mentioned on my first post, i was age 38 or 39 when we frooze one or 2 of these embies...(i am confusing all the details as it's been quite a while and quite a ride since those early cycles).

thanks for your reply.

karen

Please see my comments in your text
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com