Stim protocol successes with high AMH and PCOS-like ovaries???.. - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Stim protocol successes with high AMH and PCOS-like ovaries???..

stims cycling ivf cycle pcos high AMH high amh ivf stim protocol short or long stim cycle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hello ladies... I'm coming back on here as I will be starting another IVF cycle (and probably last) mid August in hopes to have our second child. I have an extremely high AMH count and pcos-like ovaries. My first cycle produced 22 eggs, 8 icsi'ed, 6 fertilized, 4 made it to day-3 embryos where we went through all of them to finally produce our daughter. My concern is that I'm not sure if the stim protocol was right for me seeing as most of my eggs were premature and not usable and as much as we had one that was clearly a huge success for us I question on if any would have survived if we tried to take them to day-5 embryos. Anyone else out there that has a high follicle count even at the beginning of u/s checks and produce a ton of eggs with a successful stim protocol? I'm just so torn because do we keep to the same stim protocol as I had in 2014 seeing as it achieved my daughter or do we try something else which might be better for my system where I am clearly insulin resistant and LH is something that has to be looked at with my system. TIA. :)

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#2 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

I don't know what my Amh is as its never been tested but I definitely have pcos like ovaries. I started all my ivf cycles with around 35 antral follicles.....
We used an antagonist protocol each time but it took a little bit to figure out what the right doses were to get a good response without hyperstimulated. I think it's fairly normal to not produce eggs in all the follies you grow, especially with pcos type ovaries. Our first cycle we only had one blast, our second we had 6 in total with only 1 giving us a baby, and our last cycle I ended up with 4 blasts, 3 I the freezer and one who will hopefully be in my arms in about 2 months.
What does your re think??? Have you brought up these concerns? Maybe they just triggered a little too early for you and need to give your ovaries another day or 2??
Good luck with your upcoming cycle :)
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#3 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Ola1981 for your response and congratulations to your upcoming family addition....hopefully you are feeling good.
In my first ivf resulting in my daughter the antagonist protocol was also used where I stimed for 11 days and starting out the cycle I know I had a minimum of 16 follicles in each side. Do you mind me asking what stims you used and how long you were on them? Also what did you last use for a trigger? My doses and such are in my signature and just curious as to how much they changed with you from your first ivf cycle to your last one. I definitely don't expect eggs to grow in all the follicles but the fact that I had so many premature does worry me for this next time around seeing as it will be our last IVF opportunity. I have brought this concern up in the past with the idea of doing a longer protocol and my RE has stated that he also doesn't want to see me have OHSS either. I will say he's typicallu open to suggestions so any information you might have that possibly worked for you I would be open to presenting to see if it's an option for me.

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

Cycle Info:

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#4 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:25 PM

If you look on my profile "about me" I've listed all my drugs and doses there :) My magic dose seemed to be 75 -100 of gonal f with 75 of menopur. This resulted in 20 some follies and 9 to 12 eggs I believe. I stimmed for about 10 days each time. This last time, I used a dual trigger, which was basically a Lupton variant plus a small dose of hcg. You could ask about a dual trigger to maybe help some of your eggs mature a bit better. Possibly starting at a lower dose of follitropin might be good too, to get fewer follies going? My clinic aims for 6 to 8 embryos in the end, and I fell right into that category with my 2nd ivf....
I don't think my estrogen levels were quite as high as yours but I'm sure they got up to 11 000 by my last day of stimms...my clinic doesn't do bloodwork after that.....
I was ready to push for a fresh transfer anyways because that's the only way I've gotten pregnant and stayed pregnant....out of 6 transfers, I'm on my second (hopefully) successful pregnancy, have had 2 chemicals and a miscarriage at 7 weeks, and only one bfn. My successes have been with my fresh transfers. All clinics say that success rates are similar if not better with a frozen transfers, but in my case it doesn't seem to work that way.
I hope that helps a little bit....As my re kept telling me, everyone there is doing their best to help get me pregnant and I'm sure that is the case with your re too :) I consider myself very fortunate to have had one baby with our clinic, let alone having the opportunity to be pregnant again :) I wish you all the best and definitely let me know if you have any other questions.
  • TryingForOur2ndChild and amp77 like this
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#5 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

This is interesting.  I don't think I was told I have PCOS-like ovaries but my AFC is about 36.  I did antagonist twice (I will try to see if I wrote doses down) with Gonal-F and I think my trigger was Ovidrel and Cetrotide as the antagonist.  I only stimmed 8 days (was a fast responder) and had 8 eggs the first time (6 mature, 5 fertilized) with 1 5 day blast transferred and nothing to freeze BFN.  Next cycle they had to increase my gonal-f twice because I wasn't responding well and got 11 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 1 5 day blast transferred and 4 frosties.  Was  BFP which gave me my son and we are about to do a FET.

• TryingForOur2ndChild likes this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#6 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Sorry ladies for the delayed response.... I'm still trying to get into some 'normal' routine with being back to work.

Thank you both for your responses... it's very appreciated!  :)

Ola1981 - thank you for letting me know where to find your protocol which I will definitely see what ideas my RE has. Hoping you are enjoying the last bit of your pregnancy before you get to meet the newest addition.

Amp77 - Wishing you lost of baby dust for your upcoming fet. Oh... just offhand do you know what is the is difference between a lupron trigger and your ovidrel and citrotide? 

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#7 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

Sorry ladies for the delayed response.... I'm still trying to get into some 'normal' routine with being back to work.

Thank you both for your responses... it's very appreciated!  smile.png

Ola1981 - thank you for letting me know where to find your protocol which I will definitely see what ideas my RE has. Hoping you are enjoying the last bit of your pregnancy before you get to meet the newest addition.

Amp77 - Wishing you lost of baby dust for your upcoming fet. Oh... just offhand do you know what is the is difference between a lupron trigger and your ovidrel and citrotide? 

Thank you!  I don't know the difference.  The Cetrotide is to prevent ovulation until you use the Ovidrel... that is all I know lol.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#8 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Amp77 - oh so the ovidrel was your trigger shot I'm assuming.

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#9 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Amp77 - oh so the ovidrel was your trigger shot I'm assuming.

Yes :)

• TryingForOur2ndChild likes this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

#10 Hopefulrealist

Hopefulrealist
  • Global 100+
  • 885 posts
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

Hi Trying
I also have PCOS-like ovaries that respond avidly to stims. Our first cycle we got 26 eggs, 6 day 5/6 blasts but none were normal with PGS. We used the anatogonist protocol, it does reduce the rates of OHSS.

This time I'm hoping to lower the doses of stim meds (Gonal F 150 vs 200) and 75 U Luveris and Orgalutran when the follicles are 12mm. Also we plan use a higher dose of HCG for the trigger (10000U). I'm doing a freeze all so we can do PGS again so they aren't as worried about OHSS for me.

As for ovidrel it is a synthetic version of HCG - they do the same thing. Some REs don't find they have as many mature eggs with Ovidrel though.

Best of luck!

Me- 32 33 34, DH - 33 34.35.Two Failed IUIs (2015). IVF#1 - BFN. IVF#2- Sept 2016 (Freeze all/PGS). FET#1 Jan 2017 - BFN. FET#2 July 2017 - BFP. 

#11 Ninihat

Ninihat
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hi All,

Can I ask what clinic you go to? We have done two cycles with the same RE and have similar results each time.

Many follicles, under 20 eggs removed. about 50% fertilized.3 make it to blast.

We wanted to get some second opinions, as my RE has been honest in that he will not be sure what to do next.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

N

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stims, cycling, ivf cycle, pcos, high AMH, high amh, ivf, stim protocol, short or long stim cycle