ivf infertility pregnancy baby kids treatment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 julyjuly321

julyjuly321
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

Hi! My name is Angela and I am now 53 yo. Several years ago I had m/c at 19 w due to weakened cervix. I went through a surgery and recovered considerably quickly. I was at my 40 back then. Do I have to tell you what impact that m/c had on me? I was unable to think about anything else but my unborn baby. I’ve only got pregnant at my 40s after ivfs de. I was getting the tx abroad and after getting embryo transfer we flew back home and one thing that left was to follow the pregnancy but in our local clinic. I was so happy getting 12w bfp and after a month I thought that I am slowly becoming a mother. We’ve bought some kids staff as on 16 w I remember the drs said that it was a boy. And 3 weeks after that mc happened. I could barely talk about my mc for years and we were seeing the psychologist who’s helped us a lot, my dh and I. Many years have passed, I went through physical and psychological tx but for these years I couldn’t even think of getting pregnant again – the fear of getting another m/c was and is so devastating. But for now I am one of those who overcame finally their struggles. I do not want to mention my previous experience in the post, but now I am in the same position as 10 years before – trying to ttc. We are opting again ivf de. Originally I am from Sweden but now live in France and clearly I want some advices on how to be with the tx and the clinics variety in Europe (if it’s possible to get some advices on those)?

I hope that it’s not too late for me to be a mother. Are there any ladies in their 40-50s who’ve become mothers only recently? Maybe you could give me some recommendations? Thanks!

#2 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Welcome Angela. I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through and I personally think it's fine at your age to try again! I hope it works. I wonder if there's anything they could do in advance to strengthen the cervix?

There is a thread called Over 50 here:
https://ivf.ca/forums.../50513-over-50/
Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#3 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

I am so sorry for your loss :(  The thread listed above would be very helpful for you.  It seems like the issue could be with an RE agreeing to do IVF based on your age but, from GabyPs story, it isn't completely impossible.  Only you know if this is the right decision and if you have support in place for yourself and your child, if needed, once you are older.  I wish you success and hope that wherever this journey takes you, that you will find peace.  

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#4 SmoonBaby

SmoonBaby
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

Go for it!

• Victoria likes this

#5 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

July - I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how devastating that would be.
So long as you are healthy, you should still be able to do ivf with donor eggs. I know there were a couple women in their 50s who shared their journey on these boards.
I would think the bigger concern would be the history of incompetent cervix. I suspect you will be recommended a cerclage to lessen the risk, but definitely something to discuss with a high risk OB.
I wish you nothing buy the best.

Me -29 31- unexplained poor egg quality. I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 - IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSIsad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one". All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15

#6 Alice_W

Alice_W
  • Just Hatched
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:in active search

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

Why not? You can carry a baby and just need to pass some tests (most of them about mc`s in the past).
If woman in her 70 (indian) can be pregnant with ivf and born a healthy child, why you can`t?

And even more - to born quadruplets in 65 (german) years.

P.S.: I won`t post links, but they are easy findable in internet. And if you searching for such clinic - search for one with successful experience in ivf with your age ar above. In case of some trouble - choose of those which handled with most difficult cases.
P.P.S.: for example - as in case of quadruplets.

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3255 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Why not? You can carry a baby and just need to pass some tests (most of them about mc`s in the past).
If woman in her 70 (indian) can be pregnant with ivf and born a healthy child, why you can`t?

P.S.: I won`t post links, but they are easy findable in internet. And if you searching for such clinic - search for one with successful experience in ivf with your age ar above. In case of some trouble - choose of those which handled with most difficult cases.

I would caution drawing conclusions from very rare cases. Yes it can happen, but the probabilities are very very low for these ages Alice.

#8 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

I think the probabilities are high if using donor.

Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#9 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 723 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I can totally relate.  With regards to having IVF at your age, I think it might be best to discuss with RE about any possible negative health outcomes first, so you can best make your own decision.

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#10 Alice_W

Alice_W
  • Just Hatched
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:in active search

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:48 AM

I would caution drawing conclusions from very rare cases. Yes it can happen, but the probabilities are very very low for these ages Alice.

I mentioned example cases as answer for question in topic. As it is possible to have a baby even in bigger ages.
Final word about IVF for every women can be said only after tests in clinic.

About: "I hope that it’s not too late for me to be a mother".

Also it depends on type of how to become mother in these ages - because in case of surrogacy you won`t be affected at all.
And even use your own eggs (if everything is ok on tests).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf, infertility, pregnancy, baby, kids, treatment