Preparing for 3rd loss. Trying to decide on management options. - PG Loss - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Preparing for 3rd loss. Trying to decide on management options.

Low beta D&C rpl

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM (previously UBC)

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'm preparing for my third loss and second D&C this year. My betas slowed down around 5 weeks, dropped at one point and are only inching up since dropping last week. They are only 2800 at 7 weeks. I also have a SCH and the gestational sac is small. We did see a heartbeat 5 days ago and have a repeat u/s in 5 more days. I just want this process to be over with, being limbo is awful when I feel like I'm just waiting for another loss to be confirmed. That might sound horrible, but it's taking a huge emotional toll on me.

I have a D&C scheduled for after my ultrasound on thurs if in fact a demise is confirmed. I'm worried about doing another D&C. I know the risks are low but I'm still concerned I could end up with scarring or a perforation. BUT I don't think I can do misoprostol at home. It sounds awful and with two kids at home, it really freaks me out. If I was in a hospital setting where I knew nurses would be taking care of me and dealing with straining out the products of conception, I'd go for it. I don't want to be the one rinsing blood clots through a strainer. Sorry if that sounds graphic, but that's what the clinic said I would have to do and then bring it in for genetic testing. Or to end up waiting in an emerg room for help with bleeding or pain. I'm also afraid the uncertainty might last another few weeks like it did last time. The other thing is that we are scheduled to fly on family vacation 3 days after the scheduled D&C so if I opt for expected management (wait for it to naturally happen) it might happen while away and I'll be at least an hour from the nearest hospital (rural BC). Ugh. Not easy decisions to make.

Opinions? Stories?

Anyone with experiences related to the repeat pregnancy loss clinic in Vancouver? I'll be referred there after this current loss. Wondering what to expect from the process.

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before our apt we got a surprise BFP. Baby girl born Feb/12.  

Switched to PCRM in TTC 2nd 

July 2013 - M/C

July 2014 - Healthy baby boy

Feb 2016 - MM/C at 9w. Heart stopped at 7w6d. D&C. Trisomy 15. 

July 2016 - M/C at 7w. Near triploidy (68 chromosomes). 

November 2016 - BFP. EDD July 20/17

D/c'd from repeat loss clinic at 11 weeks :-D 

#2 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Sorry, no idea what the strainer thing is about???  I used misoprostol at home, alone (with a good dose of Percocet and RE, ObGyn, Pharmacist, and my mom 3500 km away on speed-dial), collected the easily identifiable sac from amidst the blood and clots and brought it to the pathology lab on my own also.  None of it was pleasant, but I was (and would be in future again) unwilling to take the risks of a D&C.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#3 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Hi Kim - Firstly, I hope the ultrasound shows something positive and this worry is all for nothing.  But, if it doesn't, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.  I had a D&C after my daughter was born from retained placenta.  I had another one after misoprostol didn't work at home.  I wanted to do the D&C straight away but the doctor recommended trying the pill.  I did it, suffered a great deal of pain, but nothing came out.  So off to the hospital we went and took care of it.  I had my son after the second D&C and am now pregnant with my third.  I did have a hole in my uterus that they found during my last c-section and they weren't sure where it came from - maybe the second D&C? I'll never know.  What I do know is that I have been able to carry to term successfully since.  Hoping for the best for you and your family.

#4 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Sorry, no idea what the strainer thing is about???  I used misoprostol at home, alone (with a good dose of Percocet and RE, ObGyn, Pharmacist, and my mom 3500 km away on speed-dial), collected the easily identifiable sac from amidst the blood and clots and brought it to the pathology lab on my own also.  None of it was pleasant, but I was (and would be in future again) unwilling to take the risks of a D&C.

Thanks for sharing your story Sunshine, I'm sorry you had to go through that alone. Re the strainer: the clinic told me should I miscarry at home to collect everything into a tupperware container and then rinse out the blood clots under running water using a metal mesh strainer to identify and collect the sac, etc. Unfortunately, they don't prescribe prophylactic pain medication and told me that if the pain was not manageable with Advil and Tylenol that I would have to go to the ER. They also said that it's common to have to wait a few hours in emerg for pain meds under such a circumstance. Seems stupid to me that they couldn't send me home with a prescription for percocet or hydromorphone. 

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before our apt we got a surprise BFP. Baby girl born Feb/12.  

July 2013 - M/C

#5 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

Hi Kim - Firstly, I hope the ultrasound shows something positive and this worry is all for nothing.  But, if it doesn't, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.  I had a D&C after my daughter was born from retained placenta.  I had another one after misoprostol didn't work at home.  I wanted to do the D&C straight away but the doctor recommended trying the pill.  I did it, suffered a great deal of pain, but nothing came out.  So off to the hospital we went and took care of it.  I had my son after the second D&C and am now pregnant with my third.  I did have a hole in my uterus that they found during my last c-section and they weren't sure where it came from - maybe the second D&C? I'll never know.  What I do know is that I have been able to carry to term successfully since.  Hoping for the best for you and your family.

Thanks Brokenhearted and congratulations on your third!! Did you have the D&C at EPAC in Vancouver as I see you're at Olive? That's the other thing I'm worried about is doing the miso, needing to repeat it and then requiring a D&C anyway. I suppose there is no right answer and it comes down to your level of risk and how much your heart can take. I've heard that some women find the miscarriage process at home to be a significant part of their healing journey. 

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#6 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

I've never heard of such a thing with the strainer -- maybe someone else has?  I bled into a large metal pan which I sterilized with boiling water ahead of time.  My ObGyn gave me a couple of sterile specimen containers ahead of time to collect the sac (should be able to get from your GP, or walk into any blood lab to get a couple sterile urine containers).  Sac was easily identifiable (I've heard/read the same from others) after a missed m/c that happened around 6 weeks.  There is no need to "clean" it from the blood, the lab does that -- I actually purposely included a blood clot with it in case there was any tissue in there that was useful.  Everything does not come out in a giant mass all at once.

The refusal to prescribe pain meds also seems terrible -- can you go to your GP?  My ObGyn gave me prescriptions for both Percocet and hydromorphone, so I'd have the choice (used the Percocet because I'd used it before and knew its effects on me, vs. prior experience with morphine seems to have no effect on me).  Took it 1 hour before taking the misoprostol, needed to numb my brain more than anything, but the physical pain of the m/c was tolerable.  I wouldn't do misoprostol without taking Percocet or hydromorphone beforehand... someone women don't have much pain, but from what I'd read if it's going to be a painful one, then by the time the pain starts it's too late.

I did actually have to repeat the misoprostol a couple weeks later for a small piece of retained tissue, but it was a lot easier 2nd time around after most of it had already passed.  No D&C.  I did end up with a small polyp that needed to be removed a couple months later (hysteroscopy/polypectomy).  I'm not sure it was part of my healing journey, it was terribly traumatic psychologically... when the sac did come out and I realized what it was, I cried uncontrollably for 4 hours.  Doesn't help that hormones are going crazy at that point.  In hindsight maybe I'm glad I saw it, made it more "real".

I'm sorry you have to even be thinking of this :(

• lumnay likes this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#7 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:07 AM

Hi Kim. I'm truly sorry to hear you're going through this. I'd like to say that I know what it's like because a year ago from today I had my first miscarriage. I hope your outcome is better than mine and that maybe you wouldn't have to go through it at all.
However, if you are indeed miscarrying I'd say misoprostol and strong pain killers would be a good way to do it. My RE didn't recommend D&C and even if he did I'd still choose medications first because of the risks. I think mine went faster because I had to go in to my clinic and had misoprostol administered vaginally (inserted a few in my cervix) instead of me taking it orally. I only had to go through the tough (physical) part overnight. I passed the whole sac in the morning. It was very hard for me emotionally and I'm glad that it went quicker and more smoothly. If you want to hear similar stories here I believe there are a few posts made last year and years before that (try typing in keywords like misoprostol or cytotec).
I'm very sorry that you have to go through this. If you do end up choosing to induce the miscarriage rather than to wait for it, there'd be less anxiety because you wouldn't have to worry about bleeding or going through it while being on your vacation. Either way it would be helpful if you could have the option to go to the hospital if needed.
Whatever you choose to do please be gentle with yourself.
Take care!
  • SunshineTTC likes this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#8 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

Sunshine, I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well. I agree with everything you've said. It is not easy to pass the sac, catch it and take it to the lab. You're very strong and brave. Going through the whole physical and emotional pain simultaneously is already too much to handle so having to deal with the product of conception as well as polyps, hystercopy, etc later just makes it harder. Infertility really sucks!!!
  • SunshineTTC likes this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#9 Berry

Berry

Berry

• Cyclebase
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

Kim, I had a very similar experience to you. Sorry to hear this isn't going well, and I understand the need to move on. 

I took the misoprostil at home, at bedtime. At the same time I took a 500mg Naproxen suppository. I slept through the night, had some cramps around 3am, and went to the washroom, passed a few clots, went back to sleep, and up at 6am and everything was done. You can even take 1 gram of Tylenol too, to up your pain meds. The suppository is good because less stomach irritation and I find it works really well for cramps. Can be bought over the counter too. It lasts 12 hrs.

This isn't to say it's a guarantee that it will work the same for you, but really it was easy. You can try it, and see how it goes, no harm really. 

2012 - IVF ICSI - baby girl!

2015 - FET 2x4BB - BFP - m/c

2016 - July FET 4BB&4BC - BFN

?- final 4BC, last attempt. No more frosties. 

#10 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

Hi Kim - you've already gotten some great advice and it continues to amaze me how strong women can be when faced with not only physical pain but absolute heartbreak.I am in the same camp as brokenhearted and opted for the d and c without hesitation as I just didn't have it in me to pass the baby at home. Although emotionally trying - the d and c was simple and fast and the drugs left me feeling comfortable. Dr Roberts actually did the d and c at pcrm two days after I miscarried and this may be an option for you as well and was certainly less stressful than the hospital. With 2 little ones at home it does add to the complexity of your decision. Not sure how old yours are but wouldn't want mine bursting into the bathroom. I know d and c's carry risks but like brokenhearted I have had two successful pregnancies soon afterwards. I am so so sorry you are going through this and I hope you find the decision that works best for you! Big hugs.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#11 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

Thanks ladies for graciously sharing your experiences and kind words with me. This community has always been incredibly supportive and informative. 

Sunshine I forgot to mention earlier, as Lumnay said, how absolutely strong and brave you are to have gone through that on your own. Women are truly amazing in their ability to endure immensely difficult physical and emotional challenges. 

Lumnay - thanks for the word search suggestions. I'm going to take a look now. 

Berry - If I go that route, I'm definitely going to try the naproxen thanks so much for suggesting that. From the details in your sig, it looks like you did have a very similar experience. Best of luck with your FET this month - my fingers are crossed for you!

From0to3 - I am probably most afraid of doing it at home because of my kids. They are 2 and 4 and I would hate for them to hear/see me in pain and/or bleeding. I can't go to the bathroom by myself so I can't see being able to do this without them seeing something. 

Anyway, I started bleeding this morning. Having very mild pressure-like cramps on and off. Hopefully it will happen naturally and over the next few days, that would definitely be my preference. It could be bleeding from my SCH as it's not bright red and more of a dark red/brown colour, but my guess is that it's the start of the miscarriage. I'm feeling ok so far, but as it was mentioned before your hormones are so crazy in a situation like this that I'm sure I'll lose it at some point. I was SUPER emotional last night so something is fluctuating hormonally. Sheesh, the things we have to deal with as women. 

Thanks for your support everyone :-)

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#12 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

Is it possible to have someone take your kids elsewhere for the worst of it?  If it's happening already now naturally then you may not be able to predict the timeline (but hopefully it might be less painful than inducing it).  If you take misoprostol it's usually relatively predictable... for many women (myself included) the major event only happens on the 2nd night if you've been prescribed to take the misoprostol in 2 doses (3x 200 vaginally, x2 days).  I did take it vaginally, I think that's the usual route?  1st night I had some intensifying cramping and some bleeding and 1 clot passed, but then 2nd night far more intense.  I chose to time it so it would happen overnight as I'm more relaxed at night, took the misoprostol about 6 pm both nights, main event was about 3-4 am the 2nd night as predicted.  I also took gravol in addition to the pain meds because I became extremely nauseated -- 24hr pharmacist (also on speed-dial) gave go ahead for the gravol mixed with everything else.  I also kept very detailed notes through the whole process "just in case".  Sending hugs and support your way... I really wish none of us ever had to find out "how strong we are" in having to go through this.

#13 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Sunshine :-) Good call on the gravol, I'll keep that in mind. Hubby is off today and I have called our part-time nanny to work tomorrow and part of Friday, usually her days off, so at least I have childcare covered. A HUGE relief. I'm starting to have low back pain so hopefully it will progress quickly. Thanks agin. 

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#14 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

I miscarried today. It is very sad and disappointing, but I am relieved the awful wait is over and it happened naturally. Really thankful it happened naturally actually. I passed the sac early this morning and it was completely in tact. I could even see a tiny embryo/fetus. I starred at it for a looong time. It's hard to say goodbye isn't it? This may sound silly, but I had a hard time putting it in the fridge until my appointment at the clinic this afternoon. I wrapped the sterile container in a cloth, I dunno why just seemed comforting in a way. I have had very little bleeding and cramping. From the ultrasound it looks like I have yet to shed my uterine lining and there are some clots inside my uterus still so I'm expecting the heavy bleeding in the days to come. I kind of feel empty/numb/sad. I know you ladies know what that feels like. Thanks for listening. 

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#15 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

((You))
  • Kim2 likes this
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#16 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear that Kim.  Thinking of you in the upcoming days...

• Kim2 likes this

#17 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hugs. I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • Kim2 likes this

#18 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

Im so so sorry Kim. That absolutely sucks. Hope you find some comfort in the following days.
  • Kim2 likes this

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#19 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

So sorry  Kim, be sure to take care of yourself the next while.  Nothing is silly.  I stared at mine for hours and even took pictures, it's just a devastating and numbing experience.  When I brought mine to the lab I was disturbed by how roughly the lab tech handled the container, as if she was just going to toss it into a bin... like you wrapping it in a cloth, I really just needed the comfort and maybe recognition of the hope this had represented by treating it respectfully.  Hugs to you.

#20 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thanks ladies. 

Sunshine, I took pictures too and have been looking at them. Kind of seems surreal like it almost didn't happen. The nurse put my container in a biohazard bag and then left it in the room while she went to get something else. It was tossed on it's side and part of me wanted to walk over and tip the container right side up again. I'm a lot more emotional today. Maybe because the numbness is wearing off or probably because my hormones are plummeting. I just want to watch sad movies and cry all day. 

Me (41) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Low beta, D&C, rpl