Ivf in Europe with donor eggs, any clinic recommendations?? - Traveling Abroad for IVF - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ivf in Europe with donor eggs, any clinic recommendations??

Clinics in Europe Donor eggs Ivf in europe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 motherofdragons

motherofdragons
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hi there!

I am a newbie here. I am 36, have stage 4 endometriosis, very slim chance to get pregnant with my own eggs. We are considering trying ivf with donor eggs in Spain, Greece or Czech Republic. Anybody went through ivf with donor eggs in these countries, could you please share your experience? Also any recommendations for a clinic in a European country will be much appreciated.
  • CyprusFamagustaIVF likes this

#2 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

Good luck!  Feel free to ask more questions or send me a message about our experience.

#3 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:12 AM

There are also excellent choices in the Czech Republic.  I don't have personal experience there, but here's a link to a blog about a woman living in Toronto going to a clinic in the Czech Republic.  

I've gotten the impression there are a lot of very good clinics in the Czech Republic for egg donation and IVF.  I believe IVF is covered for 3 cycles under their health care system, so that reduces the price for everybody.

http://infertilesmur...s-from-pig.html

Her cycle was successful on her first try.  Her blog is also hilarious -- love her sense of humour.  Look at her posts from 2014 and 2013 to see how she talks about finding a clinic in the Czech Republic and her cycle.  It sounds like she had a good time travelling over there.  

And there is a site called fertility friends in the UK.  It's an on-line forum with a very busy section of lots of women from the UK talking about egg donation in Europe.  You can choose the country you are interested in & read about their experiences.

Good luck!!

• returnable likes this

#4 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

You could try to PM quandry.  She cycled in Zlin in Czech republic and had a fantastic experience.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#5 motherofdragons

motherofdragons
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thanks soooooo much ladies for all the information you provided.

Tess- thanks so much. I am checking out your clinic now.i will be in touch :)

Amp77- thanks, i will definitely pm quandry.

This was very helpful, thanks again ladies.
Stage 4 endometriosis, age 36

#6 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Was going to post just haven't had a chance yet... Feel free to pm me...

See about me page.

#7 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:30 PM

Ok. I have a few moments finally...

So we cycled in Zlin in the Czech Republic. There are many reasons we chose Zlin...

1- cost - the cost for the entire DE cycle was 4500 euros. This included the donors meds. We upgraded our treatment with intralipids, picsi, embryoscope and embryoglue for an extra 1000 euros. It was still far cheaper than even using frozen embryos here in Canada (mfc quoted us 22000$ Canadian), even with travel. We took a 17 day dream vacation along with out treatment and the TOTAL cost was less than 14k Canadian! With the cost being so reasonable we did not feel we were being taken advantage of.

2- donors - the donors in Czech Republic, especially in Zlin, are not the poorest of the poor, so you do not feel you are taking advantage of someone who is selling body parts to feed their family. In Zlin the majority of donors are university students, so educated, middle class. I saw (as have many others) them carrying smart phones, dressed well, and driving cars. This is in opposition to doing de in places like the Ukraine (which is wouldn't use anyways due to politics instability), South America (which I wouldn't do now due to zika), Africa, or India. I've heard good things about Greece but I would worry about the donors there due to the economy as well.

3- communication - our coordinator for Canada is a lovely English speaking nurse by the name of Eva. She was wonderful and was always extremely responsive. Still is, as I've emailed again to ask about cycling one more time, and her reply was exceptionally quick and clear. The dr there was also well versed in English, and there were zero issues with communication. There's even extensive handouts that you'll receive that outline everything from sperm retrieval, to drugs, to how every step of the cycle works.

4- success rates and technology - their success rates are compatible to North American rates. Their technology is ISO 9001 certified. They even offered things that weren't yet available in Canada like the picsi and embryoscope and embryoglue!

5- personal success stories - we succeeded in a full term pregnancy after five successive losses. One at 13 weeks. I cycled with two other women and both have had children from de ivf in Zlin (one lady took two tries. Myself and the other lady had success in our first try)

There are some cons to cycling there, but for us we didn't mind them.

1- anonymous donors- all donors are anonymous meaning you see no pictures and don't get to choose your donor. But the clinic did an amazing job of choosing a donor for us. My son really looks like a blend of dh and myself! Plus I was so stressed out looking at American donors for frozen eggs that it was a relief to hand it over! A plus is that the donor screening regimen in Czech Republic is very stringent. They screen out allergies, cystic fibrosis, all sorts of other medical and mental issues. It's one of the strictest screening processed in the world for donors!

2- long distances to travel and foreign languages - if you're uncomfortable with traveling places where not everyone speaks English this will be hard. If you've never travelled far from home, or arranged hotels or transfers or figured out how to rent a car in a foreign country this may not be for you. But even if that freaks you out there's ivf travel.com that can help out by doing all he leg work for you!

3- not single or gay friendly - unfortunately you have to be in a hetero relationship in order to cycle there. Although if you're sneaky there may be ways around this. (But you didn't hear that from me)

4- not long from our behind the iron curtain - dh and I are an interracial couple. We were most definitely an oddity in Zlin. Some locals looked at us weird, and one restaurant we will never return to because the waitresses twice refused to serve us and had a guy serve us instead. People def were amused by us or sometimes startled but for the most part people were curious but respectful. Most of the time. Prague was a more urban center where we didn't stick out as much. There are clinics there as well (Cube) but they are slightly more expensive. But if you're an interracial couple you may be more comfortable there.

As said. We had success and are considering going back. We loved the area (castles galore!) and loved how close we were to world class sites - Prague, Vienna, Bratislava (Capitol of Slovakia), and Warsaw/auschuwitz were all within a two to three hour drive (we rented a car for mobility sale). Driving there was easy and the drivers were not terrible at all.

Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know!
  • CrisBelieve likes this

See about me page.

#8 motherofdragons

motherofdragons
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Thank you SO VERY much for the detailed message and addressing many of my questions/concerns. I am seriously considering Zlin now. Any other ladies with Czech Rep experience will be appreciated :)

#9 LastTry

LastTry
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:KARMA (Canada) / CRM (CR)

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

hi motherofdragon,

I am "the other lady" quandry mentioned. We have our son from DE cycle in Zlin - he is 1 y.o. now. We had a wonderful time there and liked everything. We still have 2 frosties there.

We did not feel comportable to rent a car in Europe and used only public transportation - bought all the bus tickets online from Canada. Rented a place in 30 minutes walk from clinic and used the taxi on the day of transfer.

I do not have anything to add to what quandry said, but if you have any questions - do no hesitate to ask here or pm me

Me&DH 40+, 2 kids (teenagers),
3 miscarriages  (all 1st trimester natural pregnancies) 8388.gif8388.gif8388.gif 2010-2012
IUI and IVF with OE did not work for me
DE IVF - October 2014 th_abfp.gif
Baby boy arrives in June 2015!

#10 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

I suggest asking the individual clinics how they screen, because aside from certain required infectious screens required by state law, individual European clinics have slightly different standards.  One clinic might screen for any and all allergies, while another only screens for asthma or nut allergies.  

For example, in Spain a clinic I was looking at did a blood test to exclude carriers of both Fragile X and Cystic Fibrosis, but in in the Greek clinics they tended to do blood tests to screen Cystic Fibrosis and Thalassemia.  

Screening in Spain, Greece and the Czech Republic are generally more stringent then what you find in Canada. I've seen people listed on Canadian internet donor sites who have medical issues related to genetics that would be screened out in most European clinics. 

In comparison, in Canada clinics do not routinely screen beyond asking about family background -- no blood tests to exclude carriers of these diseases.

In the USA, some clinics ask all donors to take genetic carrier tests that screen for 30-100 common genetic diseases.  FYI - This includes some of the frozen egg banks that import eggs into Canada.  These tests are not yet used for fresh donor egg in Canadian clinics.  

I don't know why Canadian clinics don't offer this as a standard test.  They seem unaware that these tests are available, or maybe they don't want to take the time to set up links with labs in the States.  My impression was that the screening in Canada for fresh DE cycles was not as stringent as some USA programs or Spain/Greece/the Czech Republic.  

One caution with the USA -- some agencies don't screen as well as they should on the medical background.   Adult pictures and commercialization can take the place of stringent medical screening -- not for all -- but for some American agencies.  This is more likely to happen when the agency is separate from the medical clinic. Private donor agencies are not medical institutions.  Anyone can set one up.

Many quality European clinics are ISO certified.  If you decide to go to a European clinic, check their certification -- most clinics will advertise it on their websites.  ISO screening is stringent, and a good way to screen clinics.  

#11 motherofdragons

motherofdragons
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

Lasttry- thanks for replying I will pm you in a bit :)

Tess- firstly, big CONGRATS on your pregnancy. I am so sorry- I don't know how I missed that in your previous post. And, thanks for the details on donor screening processes in different countries. I am now pretty positive that we will pick Czech Rep over other countries. I am researching the clinics now, especially the ones in the smaller cities, not in Prague. ISO certification is a great point. I will for sure look into that.

Thanks again, ladies. You have been so helpful. Very appreciated.

#12 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

The Czech Republic is especially good for people who are looking to match blond hair/blue eyes.  Interviewing the individual clinics will give you a feel for the differences in clinics.  The fertility friend uk website has a section on the Czech Republic.

You might ask your doctor for a note that you couldn't find an altruistic donor in Canada.  You can deduct travel expenses in addition to your medical expenses from your taxes if you have the doctor's note and receipt.  

Iceland Air has some good discounts -- might want to look into them!  & there's an option to stay over in Iceland for no charge.

Good luck!!!

#13 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Red taxes and deductions - we did have our go write a note that de was medically necessary due to our history, and that because fresh de is not result available in Canada that we needed to travel. We got back about 3 or 4 k back on our taxes that year. We did have to justify all our costs (de treatment receipts, airline tickets, car rental receipts, we claimed a per diem for food so we didn't need to track food costs, and claimed a per km mileage, as well as all our hotel costs and drugs too!)

See about me page.

#14 motherofdragons

motherofdragons
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Tess- thanks so much! We love traveling and we are originally from Europe! so traveling to Europe won't be a hassle at all. It will be a vacay for us:) i think once i get in touch with the clinics, i will have a better sense of what clinic to go with.

Quandry- your post was so helpful as always. I didnt even think about taxes, but it makes sense as they are all medical expenses. I think my family doc will be ok with writing a letter for me...

Thanks again ladies. You have been an amazing help! I cant even tell you how happy i am to find this forum. Thanks again...
  • Tess likes this

#15 FMandAM

FMandAM
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC in Canada, Reprogenesis in the CR

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I realize I'm late to this thread and it may be dead, but DH and I are considering DE at a clinic in CZ (IVF Zlin, as it happens) but I'm confused as to how the medications will work. Do I pick them up here in Canada and then start taking them before I arrive for my initial appointment? I've sent an email to the clinic coordinator with this question but if one of the ladies here who has been through it could give me a rough timeline of their medication schedule I'd appreciate it.

I have POI and doctors here have refused to do IVF with my own eggs (and they refused to medicate me for the lone IUI we tried) so I'm going into this experience as a complete newbie to all the meds, which is a bit unsettling for me. My cycles are super irregular now, so I imagine they'll need to put me on some kind of birth control to make sure I'm in the right part of my cycle at the right time, right?

Thanks!

DE IVF overseas in Jan 2017 = BFN with no frosties

DE IVF overseas in July 2017 = ET cancelled because of poor lining, DH went without me and we froze both blasts that made it to day 5.

Mock cycle in August 2017 = by George I think we've got it! Lining responded well to a new protocol, FET scheduled for September 2017.

FET overseas September 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining. This is getting really frustrating now. Change of protocol again.

FET overseas October 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining.

FET overseas November 2017 = tried doing a natural cycle FET but a surprise O on CD6 cancelled those plans.

FET overseas December 2017 = natural cycle FET cancelled, again due to an early O (CD10) and thin lining.

FET overseas January 2018 = cancelled due to a 31mm cyst on left ovary.

FET overseas March 2018 = lining reached 6.4mm on a combo of pentoxifylline, estradiol valerate injections and Estrace. Trilaminar so despite being a bit thin the doctor said let's go. Flew solo to the CR for the transfer and found out my lining had grown to 7.4mm between my last u/s and the transfer date! Woohoo, go me! BFN 12dp5dt.

FET overseas May 2018 = lining reached 6mm on low-dose Gonal-F and the doctor insisted on going ahead with the transfer, despite there being no dominant follicle yet so there was no chance I would ovulate. On transfer day my lining was a disappointing 7.1mm. Transferred our last frostie (5AB hatching blast) on May 25, BFN on 13dp5dt.

Nothing left in the freezer, the bank account or the emotional reserves; this is the end of the pregnancy road for us.

#16 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Amandfm - you'll need a dr here to write a prescription for the meds you need prior to the cycle. I was on bcp for a month, then I took a suppressant (suprefact maybe? I can't remember anymore) a month before the cycle. I then took the estrace and crinone needed with me for the cycle because I have good insurance. The rest I purchased at the clinic. Meds were VERY cheap in Zlin! In the end I was on a low molecular heparin, prednisone, estrace, crinone, oral progesterone, folic acid, a preg vite, and more but I can't remember.
  • FMandAM likes this

See about me page.

#17 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3311 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Amanda just wondering how you went about choosing Zlín. Did you consider anyone else? How did you make the final choice?

#18 FMandAM

FMandAM
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC in Canada, Reprogenesis in the CR

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hi returnable, sorry for the late reply! We actually had to switch to another CZ clinic, Reprogenesis, because IVF Zlin didn't have the dates that we need. DH is a teacher and can't take any time off when the kids are in schoolso we have to go over his Christmas break, which limited our options for dates (so annoying, I wish we hadn't wasted so much time looking for a donor in Canada who would actually commit to the process because then we could have gone this summer while he had two whole months off!). We are disappointed because we really loved our contact person at IVF Zlin and got a very good vibe from the clinic in general, but we're happy enough with Reprogenesis. We are skyping with the Reprogenesis doctor late September and unless he's a complete jacka$$ I imagine we'll put a deposit down and start planning our travel, etc.

Basically our process has consisted of reading reviews online, comparing prices and then maybe sending off a quick email to the clinic. We tend to like the clinics who get back to us relatively quickly (understanding there is a time difference of course) and who send copious amounts of information. The English skills of the coordinator are important as well because we want to be able to communicate properly with the clinic. Aside from that we're going on gut instinct.

We knew we wanted to go to CZ rather than Spain or Greece because although DH is dark-haired with skin that tans easily and darkly, I'm super pale with very straight, light-ish hair. I'm also more lean than curvy. We figured we had a better chance of finding a donor with my characteristics in CZ than in the other countries (we made some sweeping generalizations, I know). Though we plan to tell any children that they were conceived using donor eggs, it would still be nice if they looked like they could possibly be a mix of DH and I.

• returnable likes this

DE IVF overseas in Jan 2017 = BFN with no frosties

DE IVF overseas in July 2017 = ET cancelled because of poor lining, DH went without me and we froze both blasts that made it to day 5.

Mock cycle in August 2017 = by George I think we've got it! Lining responded well to a new protocol, FET scheduled for September 2017.

FET overseas September 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining. This is getting really frustrating now. Change of protocol again.

FET overseas October 2017 = cancelled due to poor lining.

FET overseas November 2017 = tried doing a natural cycle FET but a surprise O on CD6 cancelled those plans.

FET overseas December 2017 = natural cycle FET cancelled, again due to an early O (CD10) and thin lining.

FET overseas January 2018 = cancelled due to a 31mm cyst on left ovary.

FET overseas March 2018 = lining reached 6.4mm on a combo of pentoxifylline, estradiol valerate injections and Estrace. Trilaminar so despite being a bit thin the doctor said let's go. Flew solo to the CR for the transfer and found out my lining had grown to 7.4mm between my last u/s and the transfer date! Woohoo, go me! BFN 12dp5dt.

FET overseas May 2018 = lining reached 6mm on low-dose Gonal-F and the doctor insisted on going ahead with the transfer, despite there being no dominant follicle yet so there was no chance I would ovulate. On transfer day my lining was a disappointing 7.1mm. Transferred our last frostie (5AB hatching blast) on May 25, BFN on 13dp5dt.

Nothing left in the freezer, the bank account or the emotional reserves; this is the end of the pregnancy road for us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinics in Europe, Donor eggs, Ivf in europe