• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chlodun5

chlodun5
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:30 AM

Hi everyone! My name is Chloe, I am from South Carolina. I’m here for advice. Just a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS.  I had clomid with metformin, went through 3 unsuccessful iui cycles and 4 of ivf. I was praying to eventually get pregnant on my last cycle but that didn’t happen, so now I am really desperate. How come I cannot conceive? Just naturally as millions of women do?

Unfortunately, I know exactly what is wrong with me: my condition and on top of that I will add the bad luck. I’ve read so many success stories about conceiving naturally with pcos. But I guess everyone is different and we can’t rely on someone’s happiness.

At the end of my struggles I have to try one of the last options we have – surrogacy. Doctor said to me that for me it is almost impossible to get pregnant. Nothing is working, so he recommended me finding surrogacy clinic in US. As easy as it sounds, right? Yes, there are plenty of options in US, but look at those prices. We just can’t afford it here. That’s why I am here.

Are there any affordable options in the world? If someone had experienced surrogacy in Greece, Czech or elsewhere, please share with me here or in PMs. Thanks!

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

I am sorry you are going through this but I am wondering as to why your doctor would recommend surrocacy? Usually this is recommended if you are unable to carry, your issue is that you cannot get pregnant on your own due to your PCOS not that you cannot carry, right? I think that you should get a second opinion before embarking on the surrocacy journey. Good luck!

#3 Nerd4Life

Nerd4Life
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Is the issue that you're unable to carry and unable to use your own eggs? If you're able to carry then donor eggs would seem to be a logical next step before surrogacy (and less expensive); if you're unable to carry but can use your own eggs then surrogacy would be a next step; and if you're both unable to carry and unable to use your own eggs then surrogacy + donor eggs could be the next step.

I agree that a second opinion could be really valuable in this scenario as it's unclear. PCOS can mean low quality eggs but that you can still carry with donor eggs. There are a number of people on here who can gone on to conceive with PCOS - a search of the forum might provide you with additional info on potential ways to move forward as well.

Best of luck

#4 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

I went to Greece, but did not do surrogacy there.  But it is available to married couples and single women.  

You can google Greece surrogacy for information.  I don't have any personal recommendations, but here's an example of an agency: http://www.fertilitysolutionsinternational.com/surrogacy-greece-open-foreigners/ 

http://www.familyinc...rrogacy/greece/

"Surrogacy in Greece is fully legal and is only one of a handful of countries in the world to give legal protection to intended parents.  Intended parents must meet certain qualifications, and will go before a family judge before starting their journey.  As long as they meet the qualifications, the court appearance is procedural and will be granted their application, typically within 2 weeks.  At present, intended parents must be in a heterosexual partnership or be a single female.  Females must be able to prove there is a medical indication they cannot carry and be no older than 50 at the time of the contract.  As in all jurisdictions, surrogates must pass medical and psychological tests.  What is unique about Greece is that it is the only country in Europe, and one of only countries in the world where the surrogate then has no rights over the child.  The intended parents become the legal parents from conception and there is no mention of the surrogate mother anywhere on hospital or birth documents.  The intended parent(s) are listed as the parents.  This even applies if an egg or sperm donor is used by one of the partners."

Surrogacy in Canada is pretty reasonable compared to the USA.  You might contact the Create clinic in Toronto and ask for a consult with Dr. Librach.  Create has a nurse dedicated to egg donor & surrogacy cycles. 

There are a couple of Canadian agencies that can arrange surrogacies.  One you can contact is Egg Helpers/ Canadian Fertility Consultants

http://fertilitycons...enter-overview/

Good Luck!!

#5 chlodun5

chlodun5
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:38 AM

Hi everyone! Thank you for your advices, I'm not in my best mood these days and was confused a little bit. I'm definitely going to have a consultation with another dr. But my dr said that this is the best option - surrogacy. I've read that after 4 or 5 failed ivf cycles you have no choice but surrogacy, isn't it like this? I know that egg donation was or is my only option, but after all of the failed ivf attempts…  I honestly still don’t know, even after all that time spent trying to conceive.

#6 chlodun5

chlodun5
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:44 AM

Thank you, Tess! Your reply also helped me a lot. But I've heard that you can do surrogacy even if you're over 50 in other countries. It has something to do with some health issues or what? But I do better understand the surrogacy in Greece now.

#7 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Have you ever had PGS done on your embryos to determine they are normal? Have you had any feedback on embryo quality? A few other things to consider, but it's a difficult situation when things just aren't working out.
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#8 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

You may want to clarify with your doctor if he/she advised egg donation, surrogacy, or both.  It sounds as if there is some confusion.

"But I've heard that you can do surrogacy even if you're over 50 in other countries."

All countries have different rules for this.  I believe Greece has a cut-off of 50.  In the USA, many clinics go beyond 50 for egg donation or surrogacy.   

Good luck!!

#9 chlodun5

chlodun5
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:57 AM

The thing is when I’ve been doing my first attempts I haven’t heard of it back then. But now as I’m doing my research I’m more and more interested in PGD and PGS and I want to find a clinic where those tests can be done. Also to be clear after those ivf attempts my condition started getting worse, I think that’s the reason of my confusion. As I was persuaded from the beginning, my condition doesn’t allow any more ivf.  As for pcos dr said that the stimulation is not advised….

#10 Nerd4Life

Nerd4Life
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:01 PM

pcos generally means a higher risk of OHSS and a higher likelihood of producing a high number of follicles+eggs but with lower overall egg quality. There are also precautions a doctor can take to reduce the risk of OHSS.

#11 HopefulIM

HopefulIM
  • 76 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Grace fertility Vancouver Canada

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have pcos and used my own eggs for surrogacy. My doctor told me that getting eggs is usually in favor of pcos because you tend to produce more eggs. They watch you closely for OHSS. But anyway, I'm sure you know this stuff cause you have done ivf. Surrogacy is definitely an option but make sure it's your last resort. It's a difficult journey, very rewarding, but emotional and expensive even in other countries.

2001-2003 TTC

2003-ovarian surgery and cauterizing for PCOS and endometriosis

April 2005- surprise th_abfp.gif

Dec 2005- baby boy 9lb 12oz babyboy.gif

July 2007-TTC for baby #2

Aug 2007-th_abfp.gif

March 2008-baby girl 7lb 7oz babygirl.gif

Jan 2009-hysterectomy due to hemorrhaging complications from endometriosis

Nov 2014- joined a surrogacy agency to try for baby #3

Jan 2015-matched with our surrogate

May 2015-8 - 5day embies frozen

July 2015-FET #1 th_abfp.gif

Aug 2015-u/s heartbeat detected

Sept 2015-11w5d u/s no heartbeat 8388.gif

April 2016-FET #2 th_abfn.gif

June 2016-FET #3 th_abfp.gif

7dp5dt beta-81  10dp5dt beta-364  17dp5dt beta-4577

July 13/16-First u/s--heart beat detected 136

August 8/16-10+4 week ultrasound-measuring on track heart rate 162yahoo.gif

#12 chlodun5

chlodun5
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hello everyone! Thank you for replying! I’ve had some additional appts and test and now am waiting for the results. I definitely hope to have an opportunity of ivf (at least with de). Thanks for stopping by and giving me some advices, I definitely could’ve paid more attention to my health issues before. I felt down, but while on the forum everything seems to get easier, I think. At least I’ve gotten some options apart from surrogacy, I think. Will go through some more consultations to be sure that my condition allows/doesn’t allow iv foe/de. Thanks again! xx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surrogacy, ivf, infertility