• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NewlyMrs

NewlyMrs
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

Hello, I'm brand new here and I'm trying to find some direction.
We just learned that we have severe male factor infertility and that IVF looks like our only option. It's going to be a difficult road ahead of us, and I want to make sure we have the right doctor to take us there.

Has anyone had a consult with both genesis and PCRM? (Or genesis and other clinics?) we just went for our first consult appointment at genesis the other day are feeling a little unsure. They were very thorough and ran loads of test on both of us, which I liked. The staff were all friendly and the office was very peaceful. Dr. Kashyap was very pleasant, but a little too breezy for my liking. I didn't leave feeling like I had all the information. Her ratings are awesome and I trust that she'll get the job done, I just think I'd be more comfortable with more back and forth communication. -Just my personal style.

My doctor recommended I consider PCRM for a second opinion, cause they had heard good things about them. I already talked to their office and they said they can transfer our tests which is handy.

What I want to know is if anyone has had a similar experience and what they thought of the two clinic's consult's style and subsequent appointments. I don't want to waste time testing different doctors like goldilocks. How was it like for you?

Thanks for any insight. This is all very new and confusing and emotional.

#2 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:23 PM

Oh wow -
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but genesis and Dr Kashyap were awful although she may be a bit more organized and compassionate than she was 3.5 years ago. Rumour has it that the doctors that were at Genesis split into olive as there were a lot if problems with Dr.Kashyap. Your instincts are not wrong. I went to pcrm after my genesis experience and it was like night and day. My RE was Dr Roberts who is not exactly warm and fuzzy but extremely competent and talented and who I owe three live births to. If you have the choice I would definitely switch!
  • CatC and NewlyMrs like this

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#3 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:25 PM

Hi there, I was a previous patient at Genesis and Olive.  I got pregnant both times when I cycled at Genesis and Olive.  I transferred from Olive for my second cycle because my doctor left Genesis and I didn't want to change doctors.  I was happy at both Genesis and Olive and I liked my RE.  I think you have to feel comfortable with your RE and if you are not, go get a second or third opinion.  I've met Dr. K before (she did my egg retrieval) and yes, I did find her to be less approachable than some of the other REs, but I would trust her medical expertise just as much as I trust all the other REs at Olive.  I've heard of good things at PCRM as well.  If your only issue is male factor, any of these clinics should be able to help you succeed.  

• CdnHockeyGal and NewlyMrs like this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#4 babsicle

babsicle
  • 67 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:genesis

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have only fantastic things to say about dr. K and Genesis. She helped us create both of my little miracles. I have Always found her to be knowledgeable, caring, and professional. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her or Genesis!
Me 33 DH 32
Ttc since april 2011
April 2013 started first ivf (and hopefully only)
April 4- started menopur and bravelle (primed with estrace for a week first)
April 8- e2 @240, bravelle upped
April 10- e2 @ 840, dosages stay the same. Several follies seen on left, only one on right. Orgulatran started today.
April 12- e2 @ 2026, dosages stay the same, back on sunday for more bloodwork and an u/s. More follies seen today, most are around 11mm. Dr. N says not done cooking yet, keep up with the stims:)
April 14- e2 @5060, trigger tomorrow night!!!!!
April 15- trigger at 11 pm :)
April 16- Drug free day :)
April 17-egg retrieval (6 eggs)
April 18-fertilization report! 5/6 eggs fertilized with ivf
April 20-Day 3: all 5 embryos looking great! All 8-10 cells, 4 A graded and 1 B graded. Pushing on to day 5.
April 22- Day 5: one blast transferred, lining is exceptional. 2 emby's frozen, 2 more growing overnight that might be frozen tomorrow!
April 23-clinic phoned today, the other two blasts were too low quality to freeze :(
April 27- 5dp5dt bfn
April 28- 6dp5dt bfp (squinter)........very bloated
April 29- 7dp5dt bfp (still a squinter).........even more bloated
April 30- 8dp5dt beta=101
May3- 11dp5dt beta = 244
May 6- 14dp5dt beta= 835
May 10-18dp5dt= 4760
May 22- first u/s showing one perfect bean measuring exactly on track! Hb 125 :)
Jan 7 2014- happy healthy baby girl born via emergency c section

Fet#1-december2014(all natural last minute decision)
Nov 13- phone consultation to start the process
Nov 20- ultrasound to see if fet is a go
Nov 22- start opk testing
Nov 28-positive opk
Dec 1- progesterone starts daily
Dec 3- day 5 fet (only one thawed)
Dec 8- 5dp5dt very very faint bfp
Dec 9- 6dp5dt still very faint bfp
Dec 10- 7dp5dt darker bfp
Dec 11- 8dp5dt darker bfp
Dec 12- 9dp5dt bfp on digital
Dec 15- 12dp5dt beta 388
Dec 17- 14dp5dt beta 763
Dec 26- 23dp5dt beta 21172
Dec 27- u/s 6 weeks 1 day heart beat of 125
Jan 9- u/s 8 weeks, measuring at 8 weeks 2 days with heart beat of 160!
Feb 3- u/s 11 weeks 4 days, measuring 11 weeks 6 days. HB 163.
March 25- u/s at 18 weeks 5 days. Baby looked healthy and it's a girl:)
August 9th 2015- heathy baby girl born via c-section at 38 weeks. 7 pounds 11 ounces.

Our hearts are full :)

#5 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi there. It's always good to consider different options and make sure you're with the clinic and/or physician with whom you trust. I've never been to Genesis so I can't comment on how good they are. I've been to Grace and Olive though and I didn't feel like it was a good fit so I convinced my GP to send me to PCRM. I'm very happy about this switch and I have nothing but positive things to say about this place. I had met all the physicians during my cycles but I'm under the care of Dr.Roberts. My husband and I both like his approach and we appreciate how professional and efficient the entire staff has been during all the procedures we've had. Having said that, I'd recommend PCRM and any of the physician in this clinic anytime.
Good luck!

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#6 NewlyMrs

NewlyMrs
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thank you everyone,

It's nice to know how common and encouraged it is to try different doctors. If I stay with genesis, I will be glad to know that I'm in the right place, and if I transfer to another clinic, I will be great fun to trust in my decision.