• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 knock_me_up

knock_me_up
  • 38 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:47 PM

Hi all, looking for some advice and reassurance! I did a day 3 transfer on June 5 and much to my surprise got a BFP on a home pregnancy test 5 days later. Each day the tests got darker and darker, and progressed to 2-3 weeks on ClearBlue Digital on 15dpo. 

However, on june 15, 13dpo, I began to spot, mostly pinkish, never enough to go on a pantyliner. Mild cramps. The next couple days the spotting continues, now more reddish, but tests continue to darken.

Called my clinic on Friday, begged  for an early beta and spotting now a bit heavier, still not on pantyliner.

Beta taken Saturday = 235. Nurse reported this level was good and the spotting didn't sound concerning.

Repeat Beta on Sunday = 653. Nurse very happy with doubling time. 

However, the spotting continues! It's red now, no clots, very mild cramps on and off. The bleeding still isn't enough to go on a pantyliner, but there every time I wipe.

The nurse basically said that there isn't much to do except wait for my ultrasound on July 12. not very helpful.

My concern is that the spotting/light bleeding is going on day 6, and although my levels are rising I'm terrified.  I know early spotting/bleeding is common but 6 days seems like way too long, Something must be going on...

Does anybody know if there's anything that can be done at this point to determine where the bleeding is coming from? I am on progesterone supps 3 times a day but i don't think it would cause that much irritation.

I know that there will be no heartbeat at this point but can't they check to see if the bleeding is from blood clot, infection, a lesion or implantation problems? Check if my cervix is closed?

I'm pretty disappointed with my clinic, it feels like after the ET they leave you on your own and just say all you can do is wait....

TTC #1 since Feb. 2015. 29 yrs old DH-27,  bilateral blocked tubes + PCOS

IVF#1: Dec 2015: Antagonist Protocol

Nov 30 -  Baseline Ultrasound/ Bloodwork

Dec 13 - retrieval day: (unable to reach Right Ovary) 12 eggs retrieved,  9 eggs fertilized, 8 dividing

Dec 16- ET transfer! transferred 2 perfect- 3day embryos (8 cells each)

Dec 23 - started spotting, led to heavy bleeding within days

Dec29 - beta = BFN ☹️ no frosties

IVF#2 : April/May 2016

Long Antagonist Protocol

April 1: Cycle Day 1: baseline bloodwork and ultrasound: new hypothyroid diagnosis, right ovary still high sad.png

April 21: start synarel 

May 19: start stims

June 2: ER: 17 retrieved; only 5 fertilized and 5 dividing 

June 5: ET of 1 perfect day 3 embryo

June 10: 5dp3dt BFP on hpt

June 18: beta 236

June 20: beta 653

June 23: Beta 2300

June 29: 5Weeks6Days Early Ultrasound - saw heartbeat!! 

#2 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

I had spotting like you describe from about 8dpo until 6 weeks. I did not have a SCH or any visible cause on ultrasound, so I suspect that it was cervical irritation from the Endometrin. At about 6 weeks I started inserting the suppositories a lot lower (just has to touch the vaginal wall/mucosa for absorption not the cervix!) and the spotting stopped.
It's impossible to say what the cause is for you, but with good betas I would try to stay positive :)

Congratulations and best of luck for your first ultrasound!

Me -29 31 - unexplained poor egg quality.  I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.  

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 -  IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSI sad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one".  All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo  - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15

#3 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:16 AM

I had spotting from implantation at 12 dpo, till about 12 weeks. Daily bleeding with some days of heavier flow. It was terrifying. Turned out I had an sch (a bleed next to the placenta). It's not uncommon but it is scary.

Good luck!

See about me page.

#4 Pebbles

Pebbles
  • 1000+
  • 1010 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:MFC/ McGill

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

I did have some spotting/bleeding scare as well. In my case I had done an IUI and wasn't on any progesterone at all up until that point. When the spotting occurred, my clinic put me on PIO shots and I had to take them until 16w.

Could you ask to have your progesterone levels checked to see if you are getting what you need with your suppositories?

#5 eyedoc

eyedoc
  • Global 100+
  • 452 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

Me - 33, PCOS
DH - 38, Male factor

April 2012 - Started TTC #1
2013 - 2014 - Several medicated cycles and 3 IUI - all BFN

November/December 2014 - IVF #1
Transfer of 1 day 5 embryo, 3 embryos frozen - BFP th_abfp.gif
pPROM @ 35 weeks and our baby babygirl.gif made her early appearance on July 26, 2015

July 2015 - Phone consultation with clinic to look at doing a FET towards the end of the year

August 2015 - Natural BFP??  th_abfp.gif  We are in shock!  Ultrasound at clinic confirms I was already 9 weeks pregnant and had NO IDEA!

Due date for baby B #2 - March 27, 2017

#6 eyedoc

eyedoc
  • Global 100+
  • 452 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

I had spotting on and off, with a few heavy bleeds throughout my first trimester due to SCH. It didn't fully stop until maybe 14-15 weeks. It was gone by my 20 week ultrasound. Baby is a health 11 month old!

Me - 33, PCOS
DH - 38, Male factor

April 2012 - Started TTC #1
2013 - 2014 - Several medicated cycles and 3 IUI - all BFN

November/December 2014 - IVF #1
Transfer of 1 day 5 embryo, 3 embryos frozen - BFP th_abfp.gif
pPROM @ 35 weeks and our baby babygirl.gif made her early appearance on July 26, 2015

July 2015 - Phone consultation with clinic to look at doing a FET towards the end of the year

August 2015 - Natural BFP??  th_abfp.gif  We are in shock!  Ultrasound at clinic confirms I was already 9 weeks pregnant and had NO IDEA!

Due date for baby B #2 - March 27, 2017

#7 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi, first of all, Congratulations!  Secondly, everything you are describing sounds completely normal at this point, try not to panic.  I had brown and pink spotting, and full on red bleeding from 7dp5dt (before bfp) all the way through to 13 weeks.  Ultrasounds showed no threat or bleeding, so it was thought to be vaginal/cervical irritation from the endometrin.  I had so much spotting/bleeding that I actually got used to it and missed it when it was gone!  It literally stopped the day I quit endometrin and I haven't had a speck of colour in 2 weeks.  

As far as being disappointed with your clinic's response to this.....unfortunately there is nothing your clinic can do for you at this point outside of what they have already done.  Your betas are doubling, the lines are getting darker and until you get your first ultrasound at 6 weeks (viability scan, hopefully see cardiac contractions) there's really nothing an ultrasound can do to ease your mind at this point.  They're not purposely being unhelpful, they're being honest that there's nothing they can help you with.  Luckily once viability is confirmed, your clinic will likely welcome you for an ultrasound with open arms any time you have a bleeding situation that worries you.  

There are a number of possibilities that you are experiencing this spotting/bleeding, some causes more concerning than others, but try to remember that spotting/bleeding is highly common with IVF patients.  Try to relax and wait it out.  Good luck!

#8 Teagan

Teagan
  • 89 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa fertility clinic

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hi there! I'm in the same situation and so glad I came across this post. I am 36 and 16dp2dt of 2 embryos. I'm also taking Endometrin 3 times a day. I started with some mild cramping and light spotting last week. Even though I had a few postive POAS I was still surprised to get a beta BFP yesterday. But I'm still bleeding and it's definitely darker and heavier. I'm really hoping it's just an irritated cervix but any bleeding when you're hoping to be pregnant is concerning. I'd love an update!

Brokenhearted even though your words were not meant for me, thank you. I do believe I will sleep easier tonight after having read them.

Best of luck to everyone!

#9 knock_me_up

knock_me_up
  • 38 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hi all! thank-you so much for your advice - it helped me to stay calm and keep me positive1

Teagan: as of now the spotting seems to have slowed down quite a bit, today is the 15th day since it started; for the past 3 or 4 days I've only had a couple of episodes per day where I have red spotting when I wipe, other than that it's gone. I understand how frightening it is to see any blood when you're so early in the pregnancy. For me, when the bleeding was heavier and brighter I ended up going to the doctor for a 3rd beta, and to my delight it was way higher than expected! So that definitely helped with the worries. However, when the bleeding still didn't stop after almost another week I called my clinic and insisted on an early ultrasound; I knew there wouldn't be much to see, I was just hoping to see a yolk sac and maybe a reason for the bleeding (blood clot or tear). That ultrasound was yesterday, at 5weeks +6days and they found a heartbeat!! everything looked good and there was no visible reason for the bleeding. 

My doctor said that light bleeding is very common during the first trimester, there is such an increase in blood flow to the uterus and being an IVFer we likely have a thicker lining due to the meds. He said that the placenta can cause bleeding as it grows and attaches to the uterus. My doctor basically said not to worry unless the bleeding becomes heavy like a period. i still worry every minute of every day and I have not let myself get excited about the pregnancy yet but things are looking better.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the thing that helped me the most was getting additional betas done, if they go up then clearly baby is growing. To sound cliche, try to be patient. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself, if you feel like something is wrong then make sure you get in to see the doctor, even insist on an early ultrasound, if nothing else they can see the gestational sac and make sure it's in the right place;  Or ask for an exam, they can check for irritation or infection, which may cause bleeding.

Sorry for the novel, I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated!

TTC #1 since Feb. 2015. 29 yrs old DH-27,  bilateral blocked tubes + PCOS

IVF#1: Dec 2015: Antagonist Protocol

Nov 30 -  Baseline Ultrasound/ Bloodwork

Dec 13 - retrieval day: (unable to reach Right Ovary) 12 eggs retrieved,  9 eggs fertilized, 8 dividing

Dec 16- ET transfer! transferred 2 perfect- 3day embryos (8 cells each)

Dec 23 - started spotting, led to heavy bleeding within days

Dec29 - beta = BFN ☹️ no frosties

IVF#2 : April/May 2016

Long Antagonist Protocol

April 1: Cycle Day 1: baseline bloodwork and ultrasound: new hypothyroid diagnosis, right ovary still high sad.png

April 21: start synarel 

May 19: start stims

June 2: ER: 17 retrieved; only 5 fertilized and 5 dividing 

June 5: ET of 1 perfect day 3 embryo

June 10: 5dp3dt BFP on hpt

June 18: beta 236

June 20: beta 653

June 23: Beta 2300

June 29: 5Weeks6Days Early Ultrasound - saw heartbeat!! 

#10 keriboberry

keriboberry
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:cooking, gym, traveling, natural health
  • My Clinic:victoria fertility center

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

same thing happened to me after i got my positive. i thought for sure i miscarried, the nurse told me to go on bedrest for 2 days and that seemed to stop the bleeding, went for an ultrasound 10 days later and sure enough there were 2 little beans in there!! apparently with ivf pregnancies its VERY common to bleed in the beginning stages.

#11 HLGiff

HLGiff
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Ottawa fertility clinic

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:39 PM

Thank you for this post! I'm new, never used these forums before but read though and found posts so helpful and thought mine may help someone else.
Been ttc for 6 years, in the 2ww for first round of IVF. Eggs came out Aug 14 took out 4, 3 fertilized, one went in Aug 17 (3 day transfer) and the other two didn't make it to freeze.
My concern, took hpt 7dp3dt and faint lines, stayed faint for the next 3 days took a cb digital this morning says 1-2 weeks pregnant but I've had a lot of spotting and mild pain (is it from prog suppository?). Did I loose this one? This is our last shot at it ... Really scared

#12 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

HLG - really only time will tell. I've had pregnancies with spotting that ended early (4-6 weeks), and a pregnancy where I had serious spotting for 13 weeks that turned out fine. Kmfx that you just have an irritated cervix from the progesterone.

See about me page.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: early pregnancy, spottingbleeding