• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lailaforbaby

Lailaforbaby
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

Hi ladies,

I was wondering of anyone has any experience in this topic can provide some insight. Some background about me ...i did Ivf back in 2014 and was blessed with a baby boy. I had 10 frozen embryos at the clinic and i went back to do FET in feb of this year. The doctor said we will transfer one and we agreed. I got a postive pregnancy test but beta was so low it kept increasing until we miscarried at 6 weeks. I asked the doctor if we can transfer two next time she said no because i could have triplets and the risk of twin pregnancy are higher.

We would be very happy with twins to complete our family. My husband is now working overseas and the only reason i am still here is to try for another baby. Another loss would mean I stay here for another four months atleast. she is saying i am still young and should be lucky to have that many good embryos left which i truely agree with her but i have had my fair share of heartache trying for over 8 years.

I want to know who has the final call i booked another apoontment with dr fong in two weeks to see if i can convince her. The cost of just trying with one when it comes to money and time is draining to us. I want to have two more babies and relocate to where my husband is now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 kristeen033

kristeen033
  • Cyclebase
  • 498 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

I am pretty sure you have the final call in the matter. She allowed me to transfer 2 my last FET which did result in twins. I had never had a successful IVF pregnancy though I do have 2 older children from a previous relationship. I feel it's our money and our bodies we should be allowed to do what we want (within reason of course) I would just fill out the paperwork for the FET and state on there you are transferring 2 embryos.

Me: 37, Tubal Ligation 2002, Tubal Reversal 2008
DH: 34, Normal
DS 16yrs & DD 14yrs from previous marriage
Trying for 7 years
November 2009 - BFP - Chemical Pregnancy
September 2011 - Clomid 3 rounds all BFN
March 2012 - Start IVF #1 at RFP in Calgary
April 2012 - 16 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized, 8 5 day blasts
Transfered 1 hatching blast - BFP!!!!! 7 blasts frozen.
May 2012 - 7 week U/S - baby measured good and had heartbeat
June 2012 - Stopped Prometrium 10 weeks, started bleeding 3 days later, U/S showed baby died right after 7 week U/S
August 25, 2012 - Start Suprefact for FET #1
September 8, 2012 - Start Estrace
September 21, 2012 - U/S Booked!
September 26, 2012 - FET Transferred one perfect blast. F/X
October 6, 2012 - 10dp5dt BFFN
October 9, 2012 - POAS test at Doctor's Office BFN
November 27, 2012 - Start Suprefact for FET #2
December 29, 2012 - U/S Booked
January 3, 2013 - Transferred One Hatching Blast!!! Still have 3 more in the freezer
January 10, 2013 - 7dp5dt - HPT - BFP!!!!!!
January 15, 2013 - Beta 96
January 17, 2013 - Beta 16 = Chemical Pregnancy
January 19, 2013 - FRER HPT - BFFN
June 6, 2013 - FET #3 - Starting Suprefact...hoping third time is the charm!
July 3, 2013 - U/S Booked
July 9, 2013 - FET date!!!
July 20, 2013 - 11dp5dt HPT = BFN sad.png
July 2014 - Fresh IVF Cycle Estrogen Priming Protocol

August 2, 2014 - 24 eggs retrieved!

August 3, 2014 - 11 Eggs fertilized

August 7, 2014 - Transferred 1 beautiful blast. 3 more frozen.

August 8, 2014 - Got call from clinic 6 more blasts frozen!!!  9 snow babies total and one in the oven smile.png

August 20, 2014 - First beta BFN

February 1, 2015 - FET Natural Cycle - Transferred 2 blasts one hatched. FXFX!!!

February 6, 2015 - POAS even though I know it's early...and surprise...BFP!!!!

February 10, 2015 - 9dp5dt - BFP on Clearblue Digital!!!!! th_abfp.gifyahoo.gif

February 19, 2015 - Beta 8928!!!! EDD Oct 23/15

March 7, 2015 - Ultrasound shows TWINS!!!! 2 little beans measuring 8 weeks with two little flutters for heartbeats preggo.gif

March  31, 2015 - 11 Weeks U/S. Baby A measures 11w3d Baby B measures 11w5d!!!!

May 2015 - 5 month ultrasound. Both babies look fantastic!!!! TEAM GREEN!!!giggle.gif

October 5, 2015 - C-Section date booked to meet my little babes!!! Can't wait the countdown is on!!!!!

September 19, 2015 - Babies decided to make an early appearance at 35 weeks 4 days!!!

Connor Melvin - Born 5:11am weighing 4lb15oz

Emily May - Born 5:13am weighing 5lb8oz

We are so in love! babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif

#3 Lailaforbaby

Lailaforbaby
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. I have booked an appointment with her and will talk to her again. Congratz on your twins they look so adorable.

#4 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

I think the clinic has the final call on how many embryos/blasts to transfer. Overall, if you don't have implantation issues then two embryos could be risky. You're lucky to have so many frozen blasts and a singleton pregnancy is a lot more likely to result in a good outcome for mom and baby. Only after three failed single embryo transfer did we do a double blast transfer which resulted in a single baby. All our single blast transfers were BFN's. No pregnancies. No miscarriages. No ectopic. No anything. When we did the double blast transfer I was 32. Even though it is your money the clinic still has to be accountable to the province.

See about me page.

#5 LHP

LHP
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Can I ask your age ? And do you have a reason for not being able to conceive ?
Could you come back if successful this time a around in a few years to try for #3 ?

#6 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

I understand all your reasons for wanting to put in 2 embryos, all the financial reasons, the heartache, the location/separation issues.  Unfortunately, from my experience, those aren't reasons enough for the doctors to put you or your potential babies at risk.  Since both times you have been transferred, you have gotten pregnant (albeit one miscarriage, I am sorry for that), I would say that your chances of conceiving twins with a double embryo transfer is pretty good, and your clinic may not agree to it.  Your age, previous prenatal history, and embryo quality determines how many to transfer.  These guidelines have gotten stricter over the years due to the number of multiple pregnancies there are related to fertility.  I have a friend, who after repeated failed transfers (all BFNs with their highest quality embryos) decided to transfer their THREE remaining day 3 embryos of poor quality.  They stated their case to the doctor and after much conversation, they went for it.  She ended up with a high risk triplet pregnancy.  Who would've thought!?!?  All that being said, you need to have a good conversation with your doctor.  She may agree, you never know!

Edit:  Sorry for thread jumping!  I didn't realize this topic was under Foothills.  All apologies!

#7 Lailaforbaby

Lailaforbaby
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Could you come back if successful this time a around in a few years to try for #3 ?

I am 31 years old and we have male factor issues. Coming back in few years would be the second option we are also looking into embryo shippment internationaly. I will ask that doctor about that when i talk to her about the number os embryos to transfer.
  • LHP likes this

#8 Lailaforbaby

Lailaforbaby
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

I understand all your reasons for wanting to put in 2 embryos, all the financial reasons, the heartache, the location/separation issues.  Unfortunately, from my experience, those aren't reasons enough for the doctors to put you or your potential babies at risk.  Since both times you have been transferred, you have gotten pregnant (albeit one miscarriage, I am sorry for that), I would say that your chances of conceiving twins with a double embryo transfer is pretty good, and your clinic may not agree to it.  Your age, previous prenatal history, and embryo quality determines how many to transfer.  These guidelines have gotten stricter over the years due to the number of multiple pregnancies there are related to fertility.  I have a friend, who after repeated failed transfers (all BFNs with their highest quality embryos) decided to transfer their THREE remaining day 3 embryos of poor quality.  They stated their case to the doctor and after much conversation, they went for it.  She ended up with a high risk triplet pregnancy.  Who would've thought!?!?  All that being said, you need to have a good conversation with your doctor.  She may agree, you never know!

Edit:  Sorry for thread jumping!  I didn't realize this topic was under Foothills.  All apologies!

No worries my dear. Thanks so much for your reply :)

#9 LHP

LHP
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

I am 31 years old and we have male factor issues. Coming back in few years would be the second option we are also looking into embryo shippment internationaly. I will ask that doctor about that when i talk to her about the number os embryos to transfer.

Just my guess but given that it's male factor you'll have a harder time convincing them. If it was a female issue like lining or fibroids you maybe have an easier time changing their mind
It's hard cause you are paying and feel it's your choice. But you want to respect the dangers of multiples

#10 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Dr. Foong is a good doctor so if she only recommends a single transfer then I would listen.
  • returnable likes this

See about me page.

#11 PrairiePaddleChick

PrairiePaddleChick
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

You know, I think doctors have valid reasons for what they do and it's possible that laypeople may not understand all the factors. I have twins by DE and I asked whether or not I could have one embryo transferred. The answer was, our protocol is two. I really only wanted one. Please don't interpret this the wrong way, I love my twins. I would not give them up for anything. But at the time, I only wanted one, mosyly due to my age and the risks associated with a high risk pregnancy. The risks of twin pregnancy should be taken very seriously. I hear many people saying, I wish I had twins. They might, but do they want the complications that come with it?

• mouse likes this

#12 Laura1976

Laura1976
  • Super Moderator
  • 3356 posts
  • Interests:I think right about now all I am interested in is getting PG and staying that way for 9 months!
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Heartland (IVF #1) VFC (IVF #2)

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

The goal of a clinic is to deliver you a (one) healthy baby. Twins and high order multiples (triplets or more) can come with very high risk pregnancies for the mother and babies. Many clinics see a multiple pregnancy as a worse result than a BFN because of this.

After being through a triplet pregnancy and being in the community of multiple moms I wouldn't hope for it for anyone. I have seen so much loss and heartache. Although it can have good outcomes, but I don't think it something you should try for, or plan on.

Best of luck.
  • mouse likes this
ME 35 SO 32 TTC #1 since September 2008

See 'About me Page' for more cycle history

November 29/11 - Unexplained IF/Recurrent loss testing

Compliment C3 & C4 below acceptable range
LA Ratio DRVVT above acceptable range
Lupus Inhibitor demonstrated
Antiphospholipid IgG above acceptable range
Antiphospholipid IgM above acceptable range (more than double)

Consultation @ VFC December 10/11

IVF/ICSI #2 (with Intralipid therapy) January/February (Victoria Fertility Clinic)
BCP December 16 -29/11 & January 6 - 28/12
Vitamin D (2000iu daily) and Iron Supplement (Ferrous Gluconate 300mg daily) - Start December 24 until Dr advises otherwise, PregVit 5 (Starting January 12/11), Vitamin E (800iu daily) until Heparin begins (Starting January 14/11) Fish Oil (1200iu daily)
Superfact (0.5mg) - Start January 22/12
Dexamethasone (0.5mg) - Start February 4/12 until beta

After ER - Doxycycline (100mg), Estrance (2mg), Prometrium (200mg 3x day), heparin 5000 units (2x day), calcium (1500mg daily), low dose aspirin (81mg daily)
Intralipids - February 13/12 and day of ET
Neupogen Uterine Flush - Day of ER

February 2/12 - E2 35p/mol
February 4/12 - 300iu Gonal-F & 75iu Repronex
February 9/12 - U/S & E2 - RIGHT- 11, 9, 10, 19, 8, 12, 11, 10, 13, 6 LEFT: 12, 7, 10, 10, 8, 6, 5, 5 E2 2635

February 9/12 Gonal-F lowered to 225iu Repronex remains at 75iu
February 11/12 - U/S & E2 - Right 14, 10, 11, 12, 10, 13, 12, 12, 14, 7 LEFT: 11, 8, 10, 13, 9, 8, 8 E2 5610
February 13/12 - U/S an E2??? & Intralipid Therapy
February 16/12 - E/R 20 eggs, 17 mature and ICSI'ed, 3 left to fertilize by regular IVF
February 17/12 - Fert Report 16 fertilized by ICSI, 1 fertilized by IVF
February 20/12 - Neupogen injection
February 21/12 - Transferred 2 Blastocysts ( 1 x Grade 19 Early Blast, 1 x Grade 19 Expanded Blast) and Intralipid Therapy and Acupuncture

“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.” - George Carlin