5 replies to this topic

#1 2scoopsofandrea

2scoopsofandrea
  • 29 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hello,

So I'm starting into the process of my first IVF and I got to thinking about insurance. Ive read a ridiculous amount of posts on this forum and see that some people are paying totally out of pocket while others are fortunate to have insurance that covers all or part of the cost.

I got to searching the internet like a madwoman to see if I could somehow get insurance. I seen that FLEXCARE has insurance that covers IVF and/or Fertility Meds, but my personal concern is that I've had an etopic pregnancy in the past that removed one of my fallopian tubes, and they would label this a pre-exsisting condition and I wouldnt qualify. Im not sure that is the case but it is my concern.

So many hours later on google, I started wondering about employers offering medical benefits which helped with this costs. My Job offers coverage, but you basically almost need to work there for 10 years to qualify and Im not there yet ( I work for the provincial government, its sad really that not all employees get health insurance), I dont want to change careers just yet, and Im not so keen on waiting. But I am open to cutting my hours back a bit and taking a second job if it gets me to my goal of saving $thousands$ of dollars.

SO back around to the topic at hand, I was searching for jobs that offer this coverage. The easiest one ive come up with is ..... STARBUCKS. No I dont want to be serving coffee in my spare time, but it appears they offer coverage for the medication, and possibly for treatment, maybe not directly for ivf, but for all surronding medical tests. As well as up to $10,000 for adoption assistance. THe kicker is, you only have to work there part time to get the coverage, however it is employee paid. From what I read you have to be employeed there for 3 months. This is an option I might be willing to take. I can work there just a few hours a week and have my meds covered.

I also read that, FED EX, RBC, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, ACCENTURE, MOUNTAIN EQUIPMENT COMPANY and a few others also have coverage.

For me personally the idea that I can work part time has really moved me look more into starbucks. And its a very basica anyone can do it, entry level with minimal commitment type job. As I said Im not looking to change careers, quit my current job or go back to school to start a new one. It just seems like the least painful.

If you guys have coverage. Where do you work? Or do you know any other "entry" level type jobs that offer fertility coverage?

• Highest hopes likes this

#2 2scoopsofandrea

2scoopsofandrea
  • 29 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:00 PM

PS I got this idea after reading an american forum where this woman had like 11 ivfs, all covered and she just bounced from job to job always maxing out the jobs ivf medical benefits and then moved to the next. Im not willing for all that.... yet lol

But thats how I started looking into jobs that covered ivf, and how i found starbucks,

• Highest hopes likes this

#3 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2084 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Something to think about..... Most insurance companies will consider it a pre existing condition if you know that you will need these medications prior to purchasing a plan.

• gibasgirl, Yearning, CdnHockeyGal and 1 other like this

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#4 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

Even for jobs that offer insurance coverage for some aspect of IVF, it really is about the medication and not the clinic's fee.

Some offer a specific dollar limit, some have a cycle limit (1, 2, etc.), and some have no limit for IVF med coverage.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the medications used in IVF are actually for other conditions, so there will be a small margin of medical costs that might be covered by your plan.

You can get the Drug Identification Numbers (DIN) from your clinic and run them by your insurance company. Some plans have an online service where you can just type in a DIN and see if it is covered under your plan.

All the best to you.
  • 2scoopsofandrea likes this

#5 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Dhs job offers coverage for 12 rounds of ivf meds. But you need special qualifications to do and can't just get a job without a degree...
  • 2scoopsofandrea likes this

See about me page.

#6 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

I know this is from a while ago, but there's now a place called eluta you can search for different companies that offer IVF coverage.

Bell Canada is one of them, but I know someone who works there that says it's $15,000 for meds only.

I ate into a chunk of mine (I'm with NTT Data under Desjardins), $2400 for fertility treatments when I did a donor insemination. Because my husband has severely low (and now none after chemo) sperm count, because he's on mine, he might be able to claim ICSI or sperm storage (got a discount on some banking before the chemo because it was for cancer). He already claimed a sperm functional analysis before.

Desjardins covers the meds I was outlined, where I'd pay around $2000 something.

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insurance