Canada Revenue Agency - Donor Egg Expenses - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Canada Revenue Agency - Donor Egg Expenses

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hello,  I am hoping someone can help me!  We submitted receipts for our IVF cycle as well as donor egg expenses (we used an agency so the receipt covered the donor's expenses and fee as well as the agency's fee).

Our accountant received a letter back from CRA saying that they are disallowing the donor egg expenses and agency fee because it is not considered "medical" by nature.  I'm so confused.  I have a medical condition whereby I need a donor egg so it all goes hand in hand but hey, what do I know.  I've asked our agency what their experience has been with this and apparently I'm the only one who has run into an issue.

So, I'm wondering, am I really an anomaly or is this the norm?  Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Me: 32, DH: 34

#2 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

I was only planning on claiming the medical procedure (and drugs not covered) on my taxes based on what I have read on here.
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#3 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

I think it is worth an appeal. It could simply be the opinion of one person at the CRA. People make mistakes.

One time an accountant that I used to use for my taxes told me that I could not claim my IVF expenses because it is not medical. I insisted and went to a colleague who confirmed that IVF expenses are allowable.

I think the agent is confusing their personal opinion with fact.
  • CdnHockeyGal likes this

#4 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

Hello,  I am hoping someone can help me!  We submitted receipts for our IVF cycle as well as donor egg expenses (we used an agency so the receipt covered the donor's expenses and fee as well as the agency's fee).

Our accountant received a letter back from CRA saying that they are disallowing the donor egg expenses and agency fee because it is not considered "medical" by nature.  I'm so confused.  I have a medical condition whereby I need a donor egg so it all goes hand in hand but hey, what do I know.  I've asked our agency what their experience has been with this and apparently I'm the only one who has run into an issue.

So, I'm wondering, am I really an anomaly or is this the norm?  Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I have heard some people needed a doctor's letter to accompany their taxes.

#5 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

We just had ours from 2014 accepted. We had to send in all our receipts, how we calculated our expenses (we travelled for it and claimed that too), as well as a Drs letter stating that it was medically necessary to achieve pregnancy and the travel was appropriate since fresh donor eggs are not readily available in Canada.

I'd absolutely appeal but be prepared with everything you need first.
  • north and Babymomsoon like this

See about me page.

#6 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

Has anyone successfully claimed donor expenses or agency fees (after sending in proof)?
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#7 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Our donor fees where included in our whole clinic fee. I assume they'd be accepted as long as you have documentation and a letter from your dr saying all this was medically necessary. I would also include your own letter saying why you needed to use an agency and pay a donor fee. It should be accepts if you do that.

See about me page.

#8 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

This is very helpful.  I'm still waiting to hear back from my accountant.  It's just really frustrating because donor egg wasn't exactly my first choice but it was medically necessary based on a genetic abnormality that was found making IVF and achieving a healthy pregnancy on my own very very difficult.  I was pretty surprised the donor's fees and agency fees were rejected.  I even reached out to the agency asking if any of the other Canadian clients have had trouble and was surprised to hear no one else have.  Just my luck.

Me: 32, DH: 34

#9 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Our donor fees where included in our whole clinic fee. I assume they'd be accepted as long as you have documentation and a letter from your dr saying all this was medically necessary. I would also include your own letter saying why you needed to use an agency and pay a donor fee. It should be accepts if you do that.

quandry,

was your letter from canadian doc or overseas doc?

#10 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:43 PM

Canadian. We had our gp draft the letter. Essentially it said that our de was medically necessary and that the travel was required because fresh de is not readily available in Canada.
  • north likes this

See about me page.

#11 amsk

amsk
  • 25 posts
  • My Clinic:Repromed and Ovo

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Just reviving this thread.  Have people managed to claim agency fees and donor expenses? I just spoke with my agency that said that some people had had trouble claiming these previously on the basis that they are either not medical expenses or else they are not *my* expenses but the donor's.   I am inclined to try to claim it and make the case -- after all, all this spending is indeed designed to get *me* pregnant despite my DOR. Would love to hear if others have had success with this argument. 

#12 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Just reviving this thread.  Have people managed to claim agency fees and donor expenses? I just spoke with my agency that said that some people had had trouble claiming these previously on the basis that they are either not medical expenses or else they are not *my* expenses but the donor's.   I am inclined to try to claim it and make the case -- after all, all this spending is indeed designed to get *me* pregnant despite my DOR. Would love to hear if others have had success with this argument. 

I haven't tried with Donor eggs, but i know that the purchase of donor sperm is not considered medical.

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#13 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for this discussion! I'm surprised I didn't wonder/worry about this yet, as for 7 years now tax time has been pretty complicated. I can understand how this is a different kind of complicated.

What about expenses in varying years - ie. paying Egg Helpers fee last calendar year, but no cycle resulting in that calendar year? Would that seem a weird claim?

Hoping that with a doctor submitting a letter about DOR, miscarriage, etc. and therefore the need for this form of ART, it would be seen as medical. Maybe I will email the nurse coordinator at our clinic for donor cycles (who communicates with the RE and responds back) about the type of documentation the dr. provides for such situations. I'm sure it must be a fairly regular question at a large clinic.

#14 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

As stated - we cycled overseas and received a general bill for clinic expenses (so they didn't list everything separately, just what the final cost was). We also included our travel costs, per diem meals, and gas and mileage costs. Our claim was accepted without much fuss.

See about me page.

#15 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

I'm 2 years behind in filing my taxes now (have not done 2014 or 2015... and 2016 coming up soon...) mostly because I don't even want to deal with the massive piles of stuff I have to sift through. 

However, I did claim donor sperm purchases in 2013 no problem, no questions asked.  I proactively sent in all my receipts and spreadsheet detailing everything along with my taxes from the get-go, and never even got the common "request for information".

Note that medical expenses do not have to be claimed for that "calendar year", it's just any 12 month period ending in that calendar year (I think for 2013 I did something like Sept 2012 to Aug 2013).

• amsk likes this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.