8 replies to this topic

#1 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

Question for the Edmonton ladies: The PCRM website says that we can do the first part of the cycle remotely from Edmonton. How does that work exactly? How has your experience been with it?
Me: 43 DH: 44
TTC: started at age 29. MF and Endometriosis
IVF #1 age 35: BFP! Twins!

FET #1: BFP but M/C at 6.5 weeks
FET #2: BFN
IVF #2 age 39 : BFP: Twins again!

#2 blueslippers

blueslippers
  • Global 100+
  • 409 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM (Burnaby), now back to Edmonton

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

Question for the Edmonton ladies: The PCRM website says that we can do the first part of the cycle remotely from Edmonton. How does that work exactly? How has your experience been with it?

Sandra

It's quite well organized actually. Because each of our drug protocols is different, you will get different answers. Check out all the chatter on the PCRM area under PCRM first timers and others. There's lots of info there.

My cycle is working as follows:

I've been taking monthly Lupron Depot shots since August because of my endo (calming and treating for a while first)
December 22nd which is about 5 weeks after my last depot shot, I start daily subQ shots of Lupron to downregulate and suppress my body's estrogen. I am not taking BCP because I have a blood clotting disorder that is estrogen dependant.

After approx 10 days of daily lupron shots, I will have a baseline ultrasound with Dr Motan at the Edmonton clinic on January 3rd, along with bloodwork just like when doing an IUI with injectables.

If everything looks good and quiet (low estrogen, thin lining, no cysts) I will start my stims on January 5th.

January 8th I get bloodwork done to see how my hormones are responding. My dosage may be adjusted at that time.

January 10th I go for bloodwork and ultrasound in Edmonton and again on January 11th.

You have to be at PCRM on day 10 of stims, so we are flying to BC on the 13th and will attend the clinic on the 14th (day 10).

From then on we will be monitored at PCRM until it's time to do the trigger. They have estimated my ER to be somewhere between the 16 and 18th of January with Et being the 21-23 depending of course on eggies and when the ER was.

I am planning on being in BC from the 13th to the 25th. I wanted to give my self at least one day after the latest possible ET to relax before flying home.

You don't really have a choice of dates, since they determine it for you, so don't bother trying to figure it out now. You will only be disappointed if it doesn't work according to your plans.

The Edmonton clinic used to do their U/s at 8Am but have now for some reason switched to doing them at 9 which sucks because it means you will have to be an hour later for work on those days.

Hope this helps you and gives you some info. When are you supposed to go out there?

Join us on the clinic chat side and you will learn alot.

Jody
Me 38 DH 38 TTC x 9 years IUI with injectables x 4 BFN endometriosis surgery BFP March 2007 with IUI, m/c at 8w2d:( 2 more IUI, BFN IVF 1 and 2 BFN FET 1 BFN discovered I was a Type I diabetic (WTF?) started insulin failed adoption of Baby Boy May 2009 (mom changed her mind via Text Message) back to the clinic IUI #7 BFP, Baby boy E born at 37w via induction (placental abruption)July 18, 2010 8lbs4oz doing great! took a break to breastfeed until 2012 (only part of this that ever came easy for me) TTC #2 January 2013 IUI 1B, 2B, 3B BFN IVF #1B BFP but slow and low betas, m/c one twin 6w, lost the other one at 9w FET #1B Feb 19, 2014 transferred last two embies. BFP - praying this one works out because I think we are done with ART otherwise.

#3 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Thanks again Jody, for responding to another one of my questions. Weird coinncidence how many things we have in common IF-wise. Since you are several months ahead of me in treatment; I fear I may keep pestering you for a while yet.

I took your advice and read the first timers thread Ė there was definitely tons of good information. Iíll post any further questions in there.

IVF will actually be my first experience with stims. We have managed to be ttc for almost 5 years without ever even having an IUI. Getting our referral to Dr. Motan was a long comedy of errors which I wonít bore anyone with until maybe some day when I am really pissed off and need to rant. Canít change the past. Iím just really tired of waiting for ďone more test.Ē Want to get things rolling.

Thanks for describing your cycle plan in such detail. I really have no idea what to expect. My last appointment was unusually rushed; Dr. M. was very behind schedule and didnít have time to explain the process. ďHere, read this pamphlet, PRCM will be in touchĒ. Itís helpful to know how many days I might be out of town so I can give my employers a heads up.

The cooperation between the clinics sounds great. My colleague cycled at Calgary and it sounded like she had to do all u/s and b/w down there.

We wonít be cycling for some time; we havenít even heard back on our referral yet. Dr. M. estimated we might cycle in March. He recommends now that we do ICSI so of course we have to wait for kariotyping too (arrghgh!!!! No more waiting!!!.)

#4 DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl
  • 719 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

SandraDee - You are right about having to do all tests in Calgary when cycling with them. They don't, ummmm, play nice with others, lol. I'm just kidding. My g/f cycled there as well and had a great experience with them.

Working with PCRM was amazing. The staff are absolutely wonderful. Out of everyone that I dealt with (and I was on stims much longer than expected so I dealt with almost everybody that works there) there was only one that I wasn't 100% comfortable with. Actually, I ended up being so close to one of the nurses that she gave me a great big hug after my ET and really made me feel like I was a person to her, not a patient. As a matter of fact, after the first couple of appts, they all knew me by name.

Anyway, totally off topic, I just really like this clinic and can't say enough about them, lol.

I, too, needed to be in Burnaby ten days after starting stims. It was projected that I would be there from Nov 25 - Dec 5. I did make it home on that day, but I could have ended up there longer if I had more embryos (they had to do a day 3 transfer instead of 5 for me) I would recommend that you plan on being there for a full two weeks, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck to you.
Me-27, DH-46, Male Factor/Poor Egg Quality
HSG - May 31/07 - All Clear, Karyotyping & CF tests okay
Follow-Up Appt - July 5/07 - ICSI is the way to go
Phone consult with PCRM on Oct 2/07
Started BCP Oct 18, Lupron injects Nov 3
ER Dec 2/07, ET Dec 5/07
Discovered after not responding to meds that I have poor quality eggs.
12 collected, 9 mature, 7 fertilized, 2 made it to day 2
Transferred two 6-cell Grade 4&5 average embies. Nothing to freeze
Dec 17/07 Beta 163 BFP!!!, Dec 19/07 - 530, Dec 21 - 1460
U/S - Jan 9/08, 1 beautiful heartbeat of 155 bpm.
U/S - Jan 23/08, still one beautiful heartbeat of 180 bpm.
EDD - Aug 26/08
Aug 21/08 ~ Madison Elizabeth arrived at 8 lbs 10 oz and 21.5" long.
"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."

#5 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

I am very interested in topic too. We are also from Edmonton, but we will going with McGill in Montreal. So we have to set up this whole cooperation thing bettwen the clinics, and I have no idea who and how the organization is done.
Did you guys had to do anything about it? Who did you contact? We are just had on Monday our first appoinment with dr Cumming in Edmonton, so we already in the system. He was asking us why we didn't go with RCRM or Foothill which they already have working connection with, but they never cooperated with the Montreal clinics. So we are the first one for whom this cooperation needs to be set up. I do not really know what they expect us to do.
We chose this Montreal clinics because they are fast. We sent our self-referal form ther in end of October and we are cycling in January, if we can organize this cooperation. So I really hope this cooperation thing can be sorted out very soon.
There is any additinal fee you have to pay to the Edmonton clinic to use their facilities? Or how does it work? Who writes the prescriptions? When you go to the u/s and b/w who get the result? They send it to the clinics you are working with immediately or the Edmonton clinics checks it and make decesion based on it.
Thanks for every information
Ope
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#6 SandraDee

SandraDee
  • Cyclebase
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Anyiy: That makes me feel really positive about my choice of clinics --- I'm looking forward to meeting them all.

I have a meeting with my bosses tomorrow to discuss the possibility of me getting two weeks off during our busiest months of the year (I'm a tax accountant). The other female employees have set a terrible precedent. One woman had an emergency c-section on April 22 and still came into the office for 6 hours on the way home from the hospital.

Ope: Those are all questions I'm interested in too.

#7 DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hi Ladies,
I have tried to answer your questions below based on PCRM. I hope this helps.

There is any additinal fee you have to pay to the Edmonton clinic to use their facilities?
PCRM charges an extra $250 (I think) to use Edmonton as a satellite clinic, plus $37 every time you have to have b/w done
Who writes the prescriptions? The dr from the clinic performing the procedure will write your prescriptions. PCRM gives you the choice of having them ship them to you or you can pick them up at a specific pharmacy here in Edmonton.
When you go to the u/s and b/w who get the result? The results will go to the Edmonton clinic and they will send them to your clinic of choice.
They send it to the clinics you are working with immediately or the Edmonton clinics checks it and make decesion based on it. The clinic performing the procedure makes all decisions on drugs, protocols, etc. Edmonton just forwards the info on. This all happens in the same day.
ER Dec 2/07, ET Dec 5/07
EDD - Aug 26/08

#8 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Andiliy:
Thanks for info, it is a great help. I have a few more question though.
1.How much was the total extra cost per cycle for using Edmonton as satellite clinic?
2. Does it make any problem or difference that 2 different province health care systems are involved? Specially the fact that a doctor from BC writes the prescription which is picked up in Alberta.
3. How did you tell Edmonton clinic that you want to use them as satellite clinic? I do not have even a phone number of that clinic. The number from the phonebook only an answering machine.
thanks
Ope
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#9 DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:29 PM

Andiliy:
Thanks for info, it is a great help. I have a few more question though.
1.How much was the total extra cost per cycle for using Edmonton as satellite clinic?
I think it was about $400 extra
2. Does it make any problem or difference that 2 different province health care systems are involved? Specially the fact that a doctor from BC writes the prescription which is picked up in Alberta.
No problems with this at all
3. How did you tell Edmonton clinic that you want to use them as satellite clinic? I do not have even a phone number of that clinic. The number from the phonebook only an answering machine.
I don't know how you would set them up as a satellite. They referred me to PCRM so it was all set up already. Sorry I can't help you more on that, but I will PM you the phone number that I have for the clinic. Leave a message for them. They are very busy and don't answer the phone that often, but they have always gotten back to me.
thanks
Ope

ER Dec 2/07, ET Dec 5/07
EDD - Aug 26/08