#1 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

Hi there, 

Just pondering about FSH vs. AMH.  I was dx with bilateral hydro and actually had both my tubes removed  just 4 days ago and am recovering well. 

IVF now is our only way of conceiving, which I now have completely accepted. I am just reading/ researching how fsh or amh affects your chances of conception.  I have seen our RE. He was the one who sent me for AMH due to my high fsh.  My first day 3 FSH was 14.4 and then my gyne sent me for another one before sending me to my RE and the second one was at 11.1.  My AMH however came out normal at 2.0 (my RE actually called me and told me that he's happy about my AMH result and that it's pretty much the gold standard for testing egg reserve).....

Anyway, I guess I'm just being anxious and want to know if AMH is normal FSH is negligible then?  I think not completely knowing what we have to do for ivf is making me anxious quite a bit.  We have an orientation with our clinic in less than two weeks so I'll find out then.  Meanwhile, while waiting I would love to hear any of your input!  

Wishing everyone luck! 

xo

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

Hi Seem - good luck with your recovery! I had a bilateral in Feb (endo caused the hydros) and I felt fine-ish by the 4th day but it was a good 2 weeks before I was playing sports again.

FSH...AMH...they are in conjunction rather than "vs." AMH is the gold standard for gauging ovarian reserve and probability of outcomes. Pleased to hear your AMH is normal. FSH provides an indication of how well you'll respond to the hormones given in IVF. The lower the FSH the better.

Many ladies have had success here with acupuncture to bring down their FSH. Ideally you'd like your FSH below 9.0.

Good luck!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Ooooooohhhh! Good to know CHG! Ive just been reading stuff too and I keep getting confused lol I'm trying tho. I hate feeling anxious and I'm trying not to think of all the things that could go wrong and I really don't wanna go in that head space! :/

I remember asking my gyne if there are ways (ie meds) that could lower FSH and she said no. That it's coz of my body..... I guess my question now is how does acupuncture help? I really don't know much about acupuncture. I recently started taking coq10 on the advise of one of the members here for egg quality and by far that's all I've done really....

Any input would help!

Thank you in advance!
  • CdnHockeyGal likes this

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

It's not IVF if it's not insanely stressful as you imagine the worst possible outcomes. ;)

I'm not entirely sure how acupuncture can lower FSH...just that it can and there are studies supporting it's effectiveness. You might want to search the threads in the "Ask the Acunpuncturist" section to see if there are any postings about it? Perhaps post a q for Dr Brown? https://ivf.ca/forums...-acupuncturist/

Good luck!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#5 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

My day 3 FSH has always sat around 6, not elevated at all -- but I don't respond well to meds.  However AMH very low, and ovarian reserve in line with AMH.   Or maybe FSH only an indicator 'if' AMH is respectable?  The ratio of FSH:LH on day 3 is also an indicator... ratio shouldn't be more than 2:1 (ideally closer to 1:1)... mine has at times been 3:1.  My AMH did stay extremely stable (albeit very low) for 2+ years when it should have been on a continuous nose-dive, which I attribute to 600-800/day CoQ10.  But it id did eventually take it's nose-dive to the very bottom anyway.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#6 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

Thank you both for the reply! CHG, you're absolutely right, there's no such thing as stress-free ivf! Lol and sunshine-thank you also for your input. How do you figure out the ratio? Geesh, so many things I need to know.... Argh, look at me I haven't even started yet, and I'm already a mini-basket case! Lol I think once I know what we have to do, I'll feel a tad better....for the time being, having someone to talk to here is helping me a lot! Two more weeks and we get to go to our orientation.... I think they are doing an AFC scan and a gyn scan as well....not sure what the latter is, but I have to do those two things 30 mins before orientation... Two weeks can't come soon enough!

Xo

#7 w84evr

w84evr
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

I am new to this group but not to ivf I have also had ligation 10 years ago I had 2 failed cycles of ivf. 10 years later at 40 with a new partner in am so eager to have a family. I never imagined it would be so long and back then I didn't produce many good quality embryos and so I didn't think it was worth freezing. I've recently started ivf again and so far with stimulants I only produced 4 folicales on D3 and by d10 only 1 remained Dr cancelled the cycle.

Next cycle started estrate priming and on D3 ultrasound no folicales continuing the injections with max dose of gonalf and menopur tomorrow will see if any have produced My reserve is low to start with and stats are only 5% this has me on edge and so worried.
Thyroid was 6 and now doctor changed the meds I also started coq10 400mg

Looking for support information and prayers

I am new to this group but not to ivf I have also had ligation 10 years ago I had 2 failed cycles of ivf. 10 years later at 40 with a new partner in am so eager to have a family. I never imagined it would be so long and back then I didn't produce many good quality embryos and so I didn't think it was worth freezing. I've recently started ivf again and so far with stimulants I only produced 4 folicales on D3 and by d10 only 1 remained Dr cancelled the cycle.

Next cycle started estrate priming and on D3 ultrasound no folicales continuing the injections with max dose of gonalf and menopur tomorrow will see if any have produced My reserve is low to start with and stats are only 5% this has me on edge and so worried.
Thyroid was 6 and now doctor changed the meds I also started coq10 400mg

Looking for support information and prayers
40 years old
Married 33 year old
2006 Tubal ligation
2006 2x failed ivf
2016 1 cancelled only 1 folicale

#8 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

Hi wa84evr - if you haven't yet, check out the DOR group under "infertility by cause".  I think you may find a lot of answers in that section..... it sounds to me like egg quantity/ quality may  be the issue (besides the tubes).  I hope that helps a bit! :)

I tend to just lurk and read a bunch of stuff on this site and I find it's really been helpful! Hope you're having a good night! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fsh, amh, tubal, ivf