Please help me decide. What would you do? - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me decide. What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WantToBeMe567

WantToBeMe567
  • Global 100+
  • 399 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

I had 17 eggs of which 6 made it to Day 5. My fresh transfer of 1 embryo ended up in a miscarriage and my FET ended up being a blighted ovum which was discovered at 7 week ultrasound. So I have 4 frozen embryos left. I am torn between feeling like maybe the whole batch of eggs is bad and just doing another fresh cycle or continue doing FETs. I am going to be 35 tomorrow and have PCOS. What would you do?

#2 tjluvbug

tjluvbug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1574 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

Becki - If you have 4 good quality embryos on ice then they're good enough to potentially become your take-home baby. I'm sorry you've had a rough ride so far, its really disheartening when good embryos result in miscarriage. At the end of the day it really is a crap shoot sometimes. If it were me, I'd go ahead and use my frosties before moving onto another cycle or other options.  I always felt like I had to give my embryos a chance.

<p>Me 38 (28 when we did first IVF) DH 52 3 IVF's, 2 FET's, & 2 IUI's.  Boy/Girl twins born March 12th, 2015 at 33w6d. Our family is complete

#3 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 477 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:40 PM

I'm sorry you've had a hard time with your cycles. If it were me I'd definitely go ahead with the frosties. 4 is amazing! I never even had 1 to freeze, so to me it would seem like 4 really good chances without all of the invasive procedures. Best of luck to you!!

<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 

#4 mrsfinxy

mrsfinxy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, Reading, Exercising
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

My last fresh cycle, I had one to tranfer and 2 to freeze.  The fresh transfer was a chemical pregnancy, one was a miscarriage and one is my daughter.  You never know, and I think it would be tough to leave the frozen embryos behind without knowing what they could become.

• gibasgirl, GraceM, farmwife and 2 others like this

See about me page

#5 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

It sounds like you have come to a decision in your heart. Go with that.

It can be so hard to decide when doing ART because there are so many variables, so many what ifs and a lot of second guessing.

All is not lost at 35, but a lot of pressure is put on us as we pass through life's milestones when doing IVF (25, 30, 35, 37, 40, 42...) and we are made to feel unsettled -- and maybe a little guilty -- for the privilege of getting older. The only failing is that the medical community does not have all of the answers to this complex journey yet. Research is ongoing. There are different schools of thought, and not everyone shares the same opinion about the most effective route to take.

Sometimes a new set of eyes helps. Sometimes it comes down to the timing of one's leap of faith.

I want to wish you the very best as you take the next steps and I want to wish you peace on this journey.
  • Hoping&Praying likes this

#6 GraceM

GraceM
  • Cyclebase
  • 1438 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:undetermined

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

How many children do you want?  What are your finances like?  How long will it take you to FET four embryos? You may be better off to do another cycle and then transfer to bank the youngest embryos possible.  You can also consider PGS.  I would discuss with your RE.

• ladylazarus and CdnHockeyGal like this

#7 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

There is about a 25% risk of miscarriage for every pregnancy.  

It's probably just very bad luck, and I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  If there is a systemic problem, I would think it more likely to be a uterine, immune or blood clotting issue. 

There's a good chance it was bad luck.  The natural miscarriage rate is very high.  I'm so sorry.  :( 

#8 pcanoe

pcanoe
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:My dog
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

I know hope seems lost, I have been there too, maybe discuss CCS testing with your RE to demolish any chromosonal abnormalities. If that has already been done and it was me I would continue with the FET's and maybe ask about transferring two at a time instead of one. That in itself has its own risks and rewards but maybe it is something that might work for you. Best of luck to you on your journey. 

TTC since Oct 2012

IUI # 1 June 2015 - BFN

IVF # 1 Sept 2015 - 33 eggs retrieved, 30 mature, 25 fertilized with ICSI & frozen

FET # 1 Oct 2015- 1 embryo transferred - BFN

FET # 2 Dec 2015 - 1 embryo transferred - th_abfp.gif

Beta 12 dp5dt 95

Beta 19 dp5dt 2904

Beta 23 dp5dt 6984

Beta 26 dp5dt 200

Misscarried at 6 weeks 8388.gif

Planning to transfer 2 embryos Spring 2016

FET # 3 - Mar 31 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's

Beta Apr 11 crsd.gif

Beta 12dp5dt 191 yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 14dp5dt 642

Beta 19dp5dt 5133

Heartbeat measuring 86 bpm @ 6w0d

8w5d u/s shows no heartbeat cry.gif 8388.gif

7 frosties of 8 tested normal w/ CCS

FET # 4 - Nov 1, 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's (CCS tested)

Beta Nov 14 crsd.gif

Beta 13dp5dt 925  yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 15dp5dt 2301

Beta 20dp5dt 20936

6w4d u/s shows twins hb's of 115 &122

#9 mirka

mirka
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

Becki - I would definitely use the frosties, there is a good chance at least one of them is good.

You might want to think about if you want more children. Almost everyone wants a sibling for their baby. If you get pregnant now and have a baby at 36, you won't be able to try again before you're at least 37 or 38, if you want to breastfeed your baby longer. If you are having difficulties getting pregnant now, it would be even harder at 38. So, from this point of view, you might want to preserve your frozen embryos and do another fresh cycle, to make some more blasts. As others have mentioned, you might do PGS testing on the new embryos and if any of them is good, save it for a sibling, then give your 4 untested embryos a chance.

Me: 40 41 42; Partner: 44 45

IUI #1:  May, 2014, Clomd, Fresh, BFN

IUI #2: June, 2014, Gonal F, Frozen, BFN

IVF#1: July, 2014, Fresh, Estrogen priming, IFV & Rescue ICSI - 3 eggs fertilized naturally and 8 immature eggs matured in lab and fertilized with ICSI. The plan was to freeze the embryos on day 7, but none of them made it. Nothing to transfer.

IVF#2: Down regulation protocol. Will not take BCP to avoid higher dose medications.

Sep 3: Start Suprefact

Sep 27: ER 6 eggs, 4 mature and injected, 2 fertilized

Sep 30: ET 1 8-cell and 1 10-cell transferred, both grade 1

Oct 9:    Beta#1: 5 - BFN

Oct 14:  Beta#2: 0 - Chemical or BFN, not clear

IFV#3: No suppression, no BCP; 150 Gonal F and 150 Menopur

Nov 15: Start stimulation

Nov 26: ER 10 eggs, 10 mature and injected, 8 fertilized, 6 blasts, freeze all

Natural Pregnancy

Jan, 2015: BFP

Mar 2015: Miscarriage at ~8weeks, baby stopped developing at 6w1d

FET#3.1: May, 2015, Natural cycle, 2 5AA embryos, BFN

IVF#4: Jun 2015, ER 8 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS tested and frozen - abnormal

IFV#5 + FET#3.2: Combination of IVF and FET from ivf#3, 7 eggs, 1 euploid

FET resulted in BFN

FET#5.1: Oct 2015, 1 PGS day 5 perfect blast, 6dp5dt - implantation bleeding, 7dp5dt BFP, Chemical

IUI#X: Nov 2015, Gonal F, frozen, 2-3 follicles, BFN

#10 Melissa182

Melissa182
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

I had 17 eggs of which 6 made it to Day 5. My fresh transfer of 1 embryo ended up in a miscarriage and my FET ended up being a blighted ovum which was discovered at 7 week ultrasound. So I have 4 frozen embryos left. I am torn between feeling like maybe the whole batch of eggs is bad and just doing another fresh cycle or continue doing FETs. I am going to be 35 tomorrow and have PCOS. What would you do?

Hi Becki567 - I am exactly where you are. We should PM. I turned 40 on March 2nd. I had 11 embryos from the same batch. I have transferred 6 frozen embryos. 4 were unsuccessful and two ended in the miscarriage of twins at 12 weeks. I have five frozen embryos left and I am doubting that any of the five will be successful.    If I was younger, had better AMH and could afford it, I would take the next six months to do 2-3 rounds of IVF to stockpile as many embryos as possible.  PM if you want to chat further. 

#11 Melissa182

Melissa182
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Becki - I would definitely use the frosties, there is a good chance at least one of them is good.

You might want to think about if you want more children. Almost everyone wants a sibling for their baby. If you get pregnant now and have a baby at 36, you won't be able to try again before you're at least 37 or 38, if you want to breastfeed your baby longer. If you are having difficulties getting pregnant now, it would be even harder at 38. So, from this point of view, you might want to preserve your frozen embryos and do another fresh cycle, to make some more blasts. As others have mentioned, you might do PGS testing on the new embryos and if any of them is good, save it for a sibling, then give your 4 untested embryos a chance.

I agree with what mirka is saying

#12 WantToBeMe567

WantToBeMe567
  • Global 100+
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

I really appreciate all replies. I do not know what we are
Going to do yet. My doctor wants me to lose weight before trying again. We can really only afford to do the FETs or one more fresh transfer not both. Because we have to travel to the clinic it makes an already expensive process much more expensive

#13 Polish

Polish
  • Global 100+
  • 126 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hello,
I need some opinions, my DH and I have been trying to conceive for 6 years, which during this time we had 6 miscarriages. We had 8 frozen embryos remaining and before beginning the process for another FET our dr. Recommended to do PGS testing in the states (we live in Canada). So we had our 8 remaining frozen embryos tested these are the results;

2 embryos did not survive the frozen/thaw procedure

6 x remained
out of 6 x blastocysts:

2 x are normal
4 x are abnormal and not good for transfer.

My DH would like me to try once more but am concerned that it's by body that cannot hold the embryo....and of course my fear that I'll miscaried. Our next option would be surrogacy which I am for, what are your opinions?

#14 dsomerv

dsomerv
  • 40 posts
  • My Clinic:TCART/TRIO

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hi Becki567,

I'm 39 and started the IVF journey when i was 36.  We retrieved 5 eggs, 4 mature one nearly mature.  We sacrificed 2 eggs for an invocell study which did not work for us. The remainder 3 eggs all made it to blast.  We did a fresh transfer that unfortunately ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks.  We then did a frozen transfer that ended in a chemical at 5 weeks 2 days.  This left us with our last frozen egg which we recently transferred and am now pregnant with. When we lost our second one my thoughts were the same, why bother with the 3rd transfer when it's from the same batch and likely bad as well. However, our doctor encouraged us to go ahead and use our last embryo even though it was not tested and the outcome was unknown.  In the end, i'm glad we did because i wouldn't want to live with any regrets.   Although i'm still very early in my pregnancy (6 weeks 4 days) and fully understand things can go south at any moment I choose to remain hopeful.  I have no regrets about transferring our last embryo and wouldn't want to discard it because I made the assumption it was "bad".

The other option to consider is, that if you do decide to do another new cycle, you may not be fortunate and blessed to get as many eggs this last time.  I never take this for granted, thinking because all of our eggs made it to blast, this will be the case should we have to start all over.  I am now 3 years older and this certainly plays a factor in many things.  As difficult as it is to go through a miscarriage or a blighted ovum, I would really encourage you to continue the fight and use what you have.  I would hate for you to live with regret and the unknowns.  I know this journey is hard and there have been so many times where I have wanted to give up, but I chose to fight and not let infertility win.  In fact, I am determined to kick infertility's ass!!!!  Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!!!!

#15 WantToBeMe567

WantToBeMe567
  • Global 100+
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Dsomerv,

You have no idea how much I needed to hear that. I truly hope for you a long healthy pregnancy. Can you please keep me posted?

#16 Melissa182

Melissa182
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

You can always use the frozen embryos you have, but you may not be able to make as many more in the future. If it was me, I would do another fresh IVF asap. All the best to you

#17 dsomerv

dsomerv
  • 40 posts
  • My Clinic:TCART/TRIO

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

Will do :)

#18 Dori77

Dori77
  • Global 100+
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Skiing, Dogs.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hi polish - if all your recurrent miscarriage testing is negative I would transfer.

I had 5 losses and now pregnant with my second child. It took us 5 years to have our son. I too thought that there was something wrong with my body. I think for most women with unexplained recurrent losses it just takes a healthy strong embryo to implant and it will stick.

Wishing you best of luck!

Hello,
I need some opinions, my DH and I have been trying to conceive for 6 years, which during this time we had 6 miscarriages. We had 8 frozen embryos remaining and before beginning the process for another FET our dr. Recommended to do PGS testing in the states (we live in Canada). So we had our 8 remaining frozen embryos tested these are the results;

6 x remained
out of 6 x blastocysts:

2 x are normal

My DH would like me to try once more but am concerned that it's by body that cannot hold the embryo....and of course my fear that I'll miscaried. Our next option would be surrogacy which I am for, what are your opinions?

Me 38 & DH 40 TTC since July 2008

March 2009: m/c

July 2009: m/c

April 2010: BFP - Sadly Baby diagnosed with Cystic Hygoma and Trisomy 21. D&E at 16 weeks

Oct 2010: m/c due to Trisomy #3

March 2011: m/c

IVF#1 - September 2011 with PGD on my eggs (Chemical)

March 2012 - Septum Surgery for uterine septum & immune testing with Allan Beer & treatments

IVF#2 - July 2012 (BFN)

December 2012 - Surgery to remove uterine adhesions from previous D&C

IVF#3 - February 2013 (Chemical) - 5 blast frosties

April 2013 - Natural BFP Perfect Baby boy born January 2014 !

R2tVm5.png

TTC #2

February 2015 - FET (BFN)

May 2015 IUI#1 (BFN)

August 2015 IUI#2 - BFP !!!

November 2015 - Panorama results are in and we are team PINK !!!​

Beautiful Baby Girl born May 22, 2016
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#19 cherry123

cherry123
  • Cyclebase
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hi polish - if all your recurrent miscarriage testing is negative I would transfer.

I had 5 losses and now pregnant with my second child. It took us 5 years to have our son. I too thought that there was something wrong with my body. I think for most women with unexplained recurrent losses it just takes a healthy strong embryo to implant and it will stick.

Wishing you best of luck!

Hello,

6 x remained
out of 6 x blastocysts:

2 x are normal

HI Dori, just wondering if you did any immune treatments prior to your successful pregnancies? Congrats! 

#20 Dori77

Dori77
  • Global 100+
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Skiing, Dogs.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Cherry - I did immune treatments the year prior to my successful pregnancy. This included ivig, blood thinners and LIT. The IVF cycle after the treatments did not work for me. The whole immunity thing is controversial and I ultimately don't think was my issue. Not to say it can't help others. Pm me if you want more info.

Sending many prayers to everyone Ttc right now and hope u all get ur dreams fulfilled soon. It's a rough road.

Me 38 & DH 40 TTC since July 2008

March 2009: m/c

July 2009: m/c

April 2010: BFP - Sadly Baby diagnosed with Cystic Hygoma and Trisomy 21. D&E at 16 weeks

Oct 2010: m/c due to Trisomy #3

March 2011: m/c

IVF#1 - September 2011 with PGD on my eggs (Chemical)

March 2012 - Septum Surgery for uterine septum & immune testing with Allan Beer & treatments

IVF#2 - July 2012 (BFN)

December 2012 - Surgery to remove uterine adhesions from previous D&C

IVF#3 - February 2013 (Chemical) - 5 blast frosties

April 2013 - Natural BFP Perfect Baby boy born January 2014 !

R2tVm5.png

TTC #2

February 2015 - FET (BFN)

May 2015 IUI#1 (BFN)

August 2015 IUI#2 - BFP !!!

November 2015 - Panorama results are in and we are team PINK !!!​

Beautiful Baby Girl born May 22, 2016
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#21 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1940 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Is PGS an option?
Me: 30 Hypothyroid, Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's. Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKEN  FET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFN ICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D