• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

Hi! I'm just about to start another FET cycle at Olive and I'm thinking trying acupuncture this time.. Has anyone been to Acubalance? I'm always worried about taking supplements, and I'm a little uncertain of Chinese herbs, but since it's endorsed by Olive it can only help, right?

#2 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

Hi Lula - I have not gone to Acubalance before, but some here have (Smurfette maybe? I can't remember for sure).  I do go to acupuncture regularly and find the treatments therapeutic and relaxing.  How much is it actually being effective, I don't know, but it can't hurt, right?!  I am about 2-3 weeks away from FET transfer and plan on calling Acubalance for on site acupuncture before and after.  I find out my transfer date next Friday then intend on booking my appointments.  Good luck with your decision and your FET.

#3 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Thanks so much for the reply and all the best to you! I will keep an eye on the boards looking for an update on you FET... Good luck!

#4 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

Lula - just a tip - I went to acubalance for a year but then found Jenny Zhang. She was an MD on China specializing in fertility, is literally half the price and truly the best acupuncturist in Vancouver for women suffering from infertility. She does before and after transfer as well and I feel she was instrumental in my success. Food for thought and hope it helps!
  • Natalia73 likes this

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#5 pcanoe

pcanoe
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:My dog
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hi there,

I have been seeing Jenny Zhang for the last month in preparation for my next FET after seeing how highly recommended she was on this forum. I have not had an FET yet so I don't have any success to report but I have high hopes and would definitely recommend her also. Best of luck to you!

TTC since Oct 2012

IUI # 1 June 2015 - BFN

IVF # 1 Sept 2015 - 33 eggs retrieved, 30 mature, 25 fertilized with ICSI & frozen

FET # 1 Oct 2015- 1 embryo transferred - BFN

FET # 2 Dec 2015 - 1 embryo transferred - th_abfp.gif

Beta 12 dp5dt 95

Beta 19 dp5dt 2904

Beta 23 dp5dt 6984

Beta 26 dp5dt 200

Misscarried at 6 weeks 8388.gif

Planning to transfer 2 embryos Spring 2016

FET # 3 - Mar 31 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's

Beta Apr 11 crsd.gif

Beta 12dp5dt 191 yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 14dp5dt 642

Beta 19dp5dt 5133

Heartbeat measuring 86 bpm @ 6w0d

8w5d u/s shows no heartbeat cry.gif 8388.gif

7 frosties of 8 tested normal w/ CCS

FET # 4 - Nov 1, 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's (CCS tested)

Beta Nov 14 crsd.gif

Beta 13dp5dt 925  yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 15dp5dt 2301

Beta 20dp5dt 20936

6w4d u/s shows twins hb's of 115 &122

#6 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hi From0to3 and Pcanoe,
On your advice I am going to see Jenny Zhang. :). Thanks so much for the support... I've been lurking around here for years and just recently began posting- I love all the sincerity.
All the best.
  • smurfette_w likes this

#7 alemia

alemia
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

Anyone else worried about hygiene in acupuncture or am I overly paranoid :)

• Lula likes this

#8 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:VFC, Genesis (past)

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

Jenny is the best. I was seeing her for over a year in the best. She provided the best treatment i have ever had. I checked different accupatureist and she is on the top. I wish i lived closer. Price wise she is the best too. She is not overpriced at all
4 IVFs, multiple FETs, 2 Clinics (Genesis and VFC), over 60 eggs collected, 2 chemicals, 1 blighted ovum, 1 miscarriage at 8 weeks, 1 miscarrage at 12w5d with twins, severe adenomyosis ... First IVF at 35... Took two years break at 40 after devastating twins loss. Finally at 43 our miracle son Gabriel Marcus is born.. Long painful road...

#9 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

You are right! I've seen Jenny twice now- the last time I went I told her that I had a cold and so she added extra treatment for my cold at no extra cost. She is caring and I feel completely at ease with her.

#10 waitingforbfp

waitingforbfp
  • Global 100+
  • 469 posts
  • My Clinic:KRF/Olive

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

I used acubalance for my 'before and after transfer' acupuncture on my first transfer. Not a great experience. I showed up for transfer (early to have acupuncture done) and the acupuncturist didn't show up (way to make me relax before transfer) th_agrr.gif she did show up for a treatment afterwards but I was still not happy about her not showing before and truthfully not really impressed with their 'laser' acupuncture (almost wondered if they were actually doing anything). I personally felt it to be a waste of money and won't be dong acupuncture before or after again. 

I also did acupuncture in Kamloops for a full 6 months prior to my first IVF. She was great and experienced with infertility. I was also on supplements from her.........that IVF retrieval cycle my quality was not great. Next cycle we decided not to do acupuncture and their supplements; I took the egg quality supplements CoQ10, Meletonin, etc instead and had a much better cycle the second time (as seen by my signature). I personally feel their supplements and acupuncture didn't help my quality at all, if anything, maybe hurt it. It is not for everyone.

Me-38 DH- 42

TTC since 2000
Unexplained Secondary Infertility (Had a son while a teen and gave him up for adoption)
March 2000- M/C @ 11 weeks
January 2001- M/C @ 9 weeks
February 2003- M/C @ 8 weeks
2004-2007- 6 Cycles of clomid and natural conception- BFN
November 2009- IUI with injectables- BFN
February 2010- IUI with injectables- BFN
May 2012-Consult with KRF. Re-due blood tests and prep for IVF
June 2012-Started taking Estrace for estrogen priming protocol
Blood test to see why af hasn't started. BFP with low numbers. Chemical Pregnancy
IVF#1 (KRF/Genesis)--July 29, 2012- Estrogen Priming Protocol
August 19-Egg Retrieval 20 eggs; 18 fertilized; 11 made it to Day 5
August 24- Transferred 1 Blast; Froze 4 (the rest didn't make it overnight to Day 6)
Sept 2-Took HPT (Faint Positive)
Sept 5-Beta 3 (BFN--Another Chemical)
FET#1(KRF/Genesis)-Oct 30 2012 On Estrace and Prednisone. Transferred 2 blasts (Had to thaw 3-one didn't make it. One left in the freezer)
Nov 13 2012- Beta- BFN

FET#2(KRF/Genesis) -Nov 16,2013 BETA Nov 27--Chemical Pregnancy 

IVF#2 (KRF/Olive)Consult Jan 27. (Doing CCS & immune treatments this cycle)

Estrogen Priming Starts February 19, 2014 YAY!!!!

STIMS START March 1, 2014

Retrieval Mar 13, 2014. 17 eggs retrieved, 16 of which mature and 15 fertilized. 

11 made it to blast and were biopsied and frozen. 5 NORMAL BLASTS yahoo.gif

FET with next af (transfer May, hopefully). 

FET transfer with One Normal Perfect Embryo May 15, 2014

5dp5dt--Faint positive on hpt. Darker on 6dp5dt yahoo.gif

BETA--May 26, 2014 (FX this is it)

ANOTHER F**KING chemical--beta 21 th_agrr.gif

FET#2--Lining scan on July 15. Lining at 10mm and dominate follicle is at 19mm. Waiting on ovulation to time transfer. Here we go again. FX this is it!!!

TRANSFER July 21, 2014--1 PGS Normal Blast

8th confirmed Chemical

LOOKING FOR A SURROGATE. Still have 3 PGS normal embryos frozen.

Trying again with my body......'initial' consult is April 14

#11 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

waiting - I am so glad to have your post just now!  I was just about to pick up the phone to call Acubalance for my FET.  But I need some more opinions - should I or shouldn't I?  My FET is March 29.

• waitingforbfp likes this

#12 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hi Brokenhearted,
My vote would be to go for the acupuncture (I'm not taking any herbal supplements- just strictly acupuncture) because I find it super relaxing... But of course you should follow your gut because acupuncture won't be relaxing for you if you're feeling anxious about it. Lots of luck on the 29th!!!

#13 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Lula - I think I will call.  Can't hurt right?

#14 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

Right. :)

#15 pcanoe

pcanoe
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:My dog
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

Just like you Brokenhearted my transfer is also next week (31st), I was just about to book then I read waiting's review then I thought oh no! (Just my luck that my accupuncturist is on vacation the week of my transfer or else I would have gone to her for a before and after session-but  what can ya do?) So then with the others input I was going to do it then I wasnt and then I was again lol and I just booked. I am right there with you, it can't hurt right? My accupuncturist is adamant about me doing 2 yoga poses 2x a day that I wanted to let you in on because, it can't hurt right? Every morning she said to do childs pose and upwards facing dog pose - to stretch and bring blood flow to the uterus. I feel as if with this transfer I am leaving no stone unturned, I am trying everything, I hope this is it for me and for all of you as well. The best of luck to you ladies. 

• alemia likes this

TTC since Oct 2012

IUI # 1 June 2015 - BFN

IVF # 1 Sept 2015 - 33 eggs retrieved, 30 mature, 25 fertilized with ICSI & frozen

FET # 1 Oct 2015- 1 embryo transferred - BFN

FET # 2 Dec 2015 - 1 embryo transferred - th_abfp.gif

Beta 12 dp5dt 95

Beta 19 dp5dt 2904

Beta 23 dp5dt 6984

Beta 26 dp5dt 200

Misscarried at 6 weeks 8388.gif

Planning to transfer 2 embryos Spring 2016

FET # 3 - Mar 31 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's

Beta Apr 11 crsd.gif

Beta 12dp5dt 191 yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 14dp5dt 642

Beta 19dp5dt 5133

Heartbeat measuring 86 bpm @ 6w0d

8w5d u/s shows no heartbeat cry.gif 8388.gif

7 frosties of 8 tested normal w/ CCS

FET # 4 - Nov 1, 2016 transferred 2 embryos both 5 day 4BB's (CCS tested)

Beta Nov 14 crsd.gif

Beta 13dp5dt 925  yahoo.gif th_abfp.gif

Beta 15dp5dt 2301

Beta 20dp5dt 20936

6w4d u/s shows twins hb's of 115 &122

#16 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for letting me in on those poses pcanoe!  Definitely can't hurt!  Blood flow to the uterus, right, I even keep forgetting to drink water - eep!  Lots of decaf tea, but I remember water around 3 or 4pm.  

I wish you all the best!

#17 waitingforbfp

waitingforbfp
  • Global 100+
  • 469 posts
  • My Clinic:KRF/Olive

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Sorry to confuse you all. FOR ME acupuncture is not good for my quality. I love it, don't get me wrong but my eggs obviously didn't. I have done some research since and found out if you have any immune issues, acupuncture actually may do more harm than good (increases immune response when I am trying to suppress for transfer)....we haven't been diagnosed with immune issues but all my losses point in that direction. Personal choice for sure....reason I did it my first cycle (I thought I was doing everything in my power to help not hurt) but didn't know till after transfer how much it impacted. Only way to tell is try for yourself and see wink.png Good luck ladies.

#18 Lula

Lula
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd update...  I've been going regularly to see Jenny.  My lining jumped from 7-8ish (not bad, I know) to almost eleven with this cycle!  Of course I can't say that the acupuncture treatments were the reason, but I haven't changed anything else.  I saw her the day before and also right after the treatment.  She moves around her entire schedule to accommodate patients on their transfer days (of course it helps that all her clients are going through the same thing and so they understand when their treatment has to be moved).  And just FYI, each subsequent visit (one hour-ish) is $80, and she offered me a package of 6 treatments at a discount too (but I can't remember the price).  I know this sounds like an ad - I am just so happy with the whole experience.  Drawbacks would be that the office isn't fancy, and also sometimes it's a bit hard to communicate, but Jenny doesn't mind repeating the whole thing over and over until you understand.

• smurfette_w likes this

#19 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

Lula - so happy to hear you had a good experience! Her sincerity and warmth (not to mention knowledge and compassion) are so wonderful. It felt pretty surreal to bring my twins to meet her after all the time I spent with her. Positive thoughts for you.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#20 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:56 PM

Yes, I saw Jenny for a couple of months on my first cycle and I liked her.  I didn't see her on my second cycle (I had a toddler and had no time).  I was successful both times.  For me, the adjustment of the meds made a big difference.  I was over stimulated on my first cycle and had to "coast" (no meds) for 2 days before using only half the dose for my trigger, which resulted in only 13 eggs retrieved (not sure how many mature).  On my second cycle two years later, I was stimmed perfectly and had 20 eggs retrieved (19 mature).  Apparently, "coasting" and half dose of trigger can reduce the number of eggs retrieved, so I have no idea if acupuncture did anything for me.  It was more peace of mind.

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#21 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with Acubalance. The person I saw there was inexperienced and actually really hurt me. She slipped while doing a spot on my abdomen and the needle went really deep. It felt like she'd stabbed my ovary - like egg retrieval pain!! I couldn't move for about 10 minutes it hurt so much. I don't know what she hit, but never again!

I've had great experiences with other acupuncturists. I'm not sure it's ever helped me from a fertility perspective, but it was always relaxing and stress reduction never hurts :)

Me -29 31- unexplained poor egg quality. I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 - IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSIsad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one". All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15