4 replies to this topic

#1 Lawyermom

Lawyermom
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hi everyone,
I just registered for IVF today and I feel pretty daunted by this process. I have a beautiful daughter who is almost 3 and hope to have a second child.
I learned on my 30th birthday this year of my husbands 0 sperm count due to medication to treat an illness and that ivf would be our only option.
I am still in a state of disbelief that I will not be conceiving a child naturally and I am very scared of all of the invasive tests and medication to come.
Any helpful information is apprciated.

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hi Lawyermom - welcome to the site!  I'm sorry you and your family have received such difficult news...it's never an easy one.  I personally can't say I found the tests particularly invasive...there are some that aren't pleasant for sure & I was scared before my HSG but the vast majority is blood work.  

I think most of us would agree the HSG is the most "invasive" which is a test that is performed that injects dye into your tubes via a catheter to ensure they are open and not an obstacle to conception (even when you have a male factor diagnosis...there are different kinds of blockages.)

The internal ultrasounds are never a girl's most favorite thing...but the most uncomfortable thing about them is how bizarrely comfortable you get carrying on a conversation with your RE while the ultrasound is being performed.  Sometimes the u/s wand can be positioned to cause some brief discomfort...but that's the worst of it.  I once (at a different clinic) asked the male RE if he wanted to pull over and ask for directions since he didn't know where he was going.  LOL  He was being a little rough and forgetting that he didn't have the equipment.  hahaha

We're all nervous the first time we administer the IVF drugs...but again...you'll become oddly comfortable at how routine & easy it is.  It doesn't even really hurt the needles are so fine.

Best of luck to you and hope your stay is brief & successful!

• Ola1981 likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 1000+
  • 1125 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic/VFC

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Are the internal ultrasounds similar to a pap or HSG? Are they quick?

#4 Hopefull1978

Hopefull1978
  • 48 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Heartland clinic

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

They are not as bad as an HSG at all, they are a little uncomfortable but not painful at all. Hope that's helpful

#5 Hopefull1978

Hopefull1978
  • 48 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Heartland clinic

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

Does anyone recommend any yoga places in the city? Trying to do all I can to increase our success rate