donor egg donor sperm ivf iui surrogacy

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#51 genuinedonor

genuinedonor
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Egg Donation
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Clinics in the London/Toronto area.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Just finished my first donation for a lovely couple in need. :)

• amsk likes this

#52 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hi Donor Buddies!  I'm officially into my DE cycle.  We've paid the money, signed the consents, shipped the sperm, and are on schedule for an early October FET.  And all of a sudden I'm terrified and can only think of all the things that could go wrong.  I'd seriously like to cancel the whole thing.  Stress is such a weird animal. 

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#53 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

Congrats on the progress EverHopfull!

I have been stalled, as I had my first donor get cold feet and my second donor didn't have a good AMH score.  My third donor is going to for her AMH and social worker appointment in late August. 

It is so hard to be patient but i keep reminding myself that a year ago I had no hope of ever being a mom, now I do.

Where is everyone else in their journey?

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#54 amsk

amsk
  • 25 posts
  • My Clinic:Repromed and Ovo

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hi all, 

I would like to join this thread too. I am less than a month away from my transfer. Found a donor through LM, which was expensive but I thought transparent enough.  They answered all my questions about fees etc. One thing that they required us to do and pay for was counselling with a social worker. Four hundred bucks! But you know what, I found it really helpful. I would probably not have opted for it if they had not required it, but in the end I found the counselling helpful in terms of navigating the process socially, emotionally, and she was full of great tips and suggestions from things like books to read to eventual kid, considerations to bear in mind re: whether to have PGS testing, how to navigate tricky social situations. She was great! I wondered later if I could have insisted on opting out, but I am glad I didn't. 

I shipped off my guy's sperm today, and should hear back from the clinic with estimated dates shortly.  

I have been very eagerly anticipating this, which we've been setting up really since March. As I draw closer, I confess I still do have twinges of sadness re: my own genetic material. I could have continued with my own eggs for another round or two, but after 6 cycles of IVF that came so close to working a few times (but not close enough!) I decided I was done depleting myself and wanted to do something that would work. And most of the time I am nothing but excited and positive. 

Glad to hear there are others going through this at the same time.  Fingers crossed for a smooth ride for each of us from now on!

• EverHopefull! likes this

#55 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I wish everyone the best of luck as they build their families :) This is a very informative thread.

I find myself considering egg and embryo donation after 6 failed IVFs trying for sibling for our 3 year old, who was conceived after several cycles as well. We feel very fortunate to be parents.

It's been a bit of a whirlwind coming down from another failed cycle and then wondering, is this it? Or should we pursue alternate ways of building a family. Financially, at first we thought embryo donation would be the only way after all the debt we've incurred. Today I spoke to my RE and she urged me to consider donor eggs. She sent me the information for Egg Helpers and said the clinic would help with a discount on their end due to our loyalty and the amount of failed cycles.

I found myself getting excited. I read through the Egg Helpers brochure she sent and with the total cost of $9000 I started to think, this sounds way cheaper than I had thought... still money we don't have, but I stupidly assumed it was a frozen egg bank. It didn't mention anything about working with a clinic so I assumed the only clinic cost would be the FET or shipping fees if needed. My clinic doesn't list the fees associated on their website.

The more I thought about it... I realized... I must have to pay for the donor's IVF cycle and meds too! How could I have been so dumb! The brochure didn't mention any of that, but I guess Egg Helpers just receives their eggs?

#56 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

For cost, have you looked over seas? We did a full fresh cycle at Zlin in Czech Republic. The cost of the cycle, including donor fees and drugs was 4500 euros (plus 1000 for intralipids, picsi, embryoscope and embryoglue). Including travel for a 17 day whirlwind amazing vacation it was 12000 Canadian total but could likely be done for 10000 if you stick to straight business of de. Zlin was cheap to stay in, both lodging and food. The clinic is amazing and the donors are middle class. The only drawback (which for us we liked actually) is that it is anonymous donation. But - everyone comments how much my son has my eyes and looks like various family members so the clinic did an amazing job of matching!

See about me page.

#57 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Quandry, that sounds amazing. In hindsight I wish I had done that, rather than my last bogus cycle. We are just returning to work after our annual vacation time, so unfortunately I can't consider that as we'd lose our salaries during the trip. But what a great deal and experience!!

Would it be cheaper to get eggs from a bank in the states and send them to Create?

#58 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

Frozen eggs are also expensive tbh. I looked into a cycle at mfc with deb USA and it was going to be more than 20k Canadian.

The thing to remember with de is that your age is not longer a limiting factor so if you have to wait till your next vacation cycle, you won't be hurting your chances... We are planning a second cycle next summer. Not 100% yet but def leaning that way.

See about me page.

#59 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

We went to Greece and spent about 12K CAD including travel for a DE cycle.  We stopped over in Iceland and made a nice trip of it.  It's definitely possible to spend less on the travel.  We were lucky and got pregnant on the first try.  

Our clinic charged about 5,500 Euros for everything.  No extra charge for the donor's medicine. I needed to pay for my own estrogen and progesterone and the down-regulation shot.  

You can also find very good clinics that do DE cycles for about 4,500 Euros in Greece and the Czech Republic.  The all-inclusive price was a huge stress relief.  I went through a UK nurse coordinator.  She coordinates cycles in Spain and Greece.  PM me if you're interested in the website or her e-mail info or other info.  I did a LOT of research on European clinics & happy to share info. 

Egg helpers does all fresh cycles.  Finding a local donor holds down the costs, but you're right that you need to cover medicine costs.  

"Would it be cheaper to get eggs from a bank in the states and send them to Create?"

There are 2 main USA egg banks that work with Canadian clinics.  One costs about 12K USD or so for 6-8 eggs.  Then the shipping costs of 1-2K USD.  Then you add in the cost the clinic is charging -- usually about 5-6K.  Some clinics also require you to do a therapy session that costs about 400$.  

The other main egg bank costs about 20K USD to ship the eggs to Canada.  Then you pay the clinic costs on top of that.  

I also started researching South African egg donor cycles & agencies.  European clinics are all anonymous, but SA show pictures.  Also, South African clinics will ship embryos to North America.  The donor cycles in S. Africa are not very expensive.  

Unfortunately Canada is the 2nd most expensive place in the world to do IVF.  1st most expensive place is the USA.

Good luck!! I know this is stressful. 

#60 amsk

amsk
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hi Kayte -- I am just doing a cycle with Little Miracles, and I think the cost is about the same as Egg Helpers. It is expensive in Canada, more than I had thought actually. I thought the breakdown might be helpful to you:  I paid about 10k to LM (6000 for expenses, 2750 agency fee, 600 for her lawyer, 400 for intended parent counselling) though I think I will get some of that back as the donor is local. The clinic, repromed, cost almost twice what they *claim* a donor cycle would have cost at my home clinic in Montreal, so around  14k, plus meds. This includes donor's stim and retrieval, her screening, my transfer, ICSI, assisted hatching, blastocyst storage for one year.  I had some of the meds from one of my own previous cycles, so that saved me a few thousand dollars. Then we ended up with other extra costs, e.g., ended up having to send my spouse's sperm over there, frozen (1k), and some bloodwork for my spouse that we had to pay out of pocket. And because I am in Montreal and the clinic is in toronto, I have to pay a little more for local monitoring. So the grand total is close to 28k. GULP! 

I had researched Czech, Spain and South Africa, but decided I wanted to know a little more about the donor than the European clinics usually tell. And South Africa seemed just so far away. I didn't realize they would ship to Canada... 

The process has been pretty smooth so far here in Canada, though definitely a little slower when you do a fresh cycle instead of getting frozen eggs. We chose her in April and she starts stims Sept 3, for a Sept 19 transfer date, hopefully. 

• Tess likes this

#61 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

"I had researched Czech, Spain and South Africa, but decided I wanted to know a little more about the donor than the European clinics usually tell. And South Africa seemed just so far away. I didn't realize they would ship to Canada..."

It's frustrating that egg donation cycles everywhere in the world is cheaper then in Canada and the USA.

I'll post some of the information from South Africa in case it's of interest to readers.  

It's possible to ship frozen sperm to S. Africa, and make the embryos in S. Africa, and receive frozen embryos at a clinic in North America that is willing to receive them.  Then do a FET with that North American clinic -- which is much less money then a fresh donor cycle in N. America.  Of course, you can also fly to South Africa for the transfer if you've been wanting to take a vacation to their beaches or do a safari. 

Total cost for an egg donation cycle in South Africa, everything included, is about CAD 9,000.

As I understand it, costs in South Africa would be about the following:

1,500 CAD for egg donor and agency in South Africa

5,000 CAD for IVF cycle in South Africa

2,500 - 4,000 CAD (est.) to ship embryo and/or embryo and sperm to Canada

your meds for the FET  (estrogen/progesterone/lupron) - get in Canada or on-line

medicine/tests for egg donor

the FET cost in Canada

any extra costs the clinic charges to receive the embryo.

I've been sent information that estimated the entire cost of a South African Egg donation cycle at about 9,000 Australian dollars.  (Lots of Aussies go to South Africa.)  CAD right now is about the same as an Australian dollar.  

You can receive passwords to look at the profiles and see if there is enough information for you from South Africa.  There are usually childhood photos and medical history.  As I understand it, egg donation is capped in South Africa, which contributes to the reasonable price.  South African donors are paid about the equivalent of 500-600 CAD.  Not sure, but the government might be holding down costs.  They have a well-regulated legal system for egg donation, unlike the confusing legal situation in Canada.

I contacted the South African agency nuture, and it was confirmed to me that they will ship embryos.  http://www.nurture.co.za/

What's important is to make sure your clinic will accept embryos made from an anonymous donor.  Usually if it's confirmed that the donor has passed infectious screening, that should be fine.  But talk to the receiving clinic to make sure they will accept.

I also contacted Tasneem Abrahams from the South Africa agency Gift ov life Egg Donation Program.  This was her answer: "From South African legislation it is possible. The issue is sometimes the destination shore. They need to ascertain from their country that they will be allowed in.

If they are not sure they should contact the shipping company on our website. They would be able to clarify as they are the best company you handle international tissue transport."

With the agencies, you choose which clinic you want to use in South Africa. So, for example, here's a link to Cape Fertility Clinic writing about egg donation cycles.  They have a pregnancy success rate of between 60-70%, PGS, the embryoscope, etc.

This is from their page about costs:

The cost of fertility treatment depends on the type of treatment done, and the amount of medication required. Treatment such as artificial insemination costs approximately R4000 – R8000 per cycle and for IVF approximately R40 000 – R50 000 per cycle. The cost will depend on the amount of medication used and whether additional advanced procedures are necessary such as ICSI or embryo freezing. For the EmbryoScope we charge R 4 500.

RAND 50,000 = $4,564 CAD

http://capefertility...t/egg-donation/

Here's info from the gift ov life website:  http://giftovlife.com/

Here's the gift ov life info on what clinic: http://www.whatclini...on/gift-ov-life

I realized fairly late in my research that SA clinics would ship.  There's also European clinics that ship embryos to Canada, but it's different for the various countries.  It's hard to get embryos out of Greece (and I think spain?) because the State wants to encourage tourism.  

Canadian clinics will want to know if the appropriate medical STD & infectious disease testing was done on the donor.  If the clinic can attest that the anonymous donor has undergone those tests, then the Canadian clinic usually accepts --just as Canadian clinics will accept embryos created in the United States.  

Clinics don't advertise that they accept embryos from other clinics because it's a LOT cheaper to transfer an embryo in a FET then to do a new cycle at the clinic.  

Good luck everyone.  I know it's insane that it's cheaper to fly half-way around the world for an egg donor cycle then to stay in Canada, but it is what it is.  

#62 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

More on going to South Africa:

If you google South Africa Forum, you'll come across Australians talking about South African egg donation cycles. (Bubhub)  It'll give you an idea of the agencies, clinics and travel arrangements they made. 

Australians cannot ship in anonymous embryos to Australia because of their laws, so they must fly to South Africa for the transfer.  North Americans have the option to ship in embryos.

Here's an example of a forum comment describing the various different South African agencies:

"Once you start the ball rolling I have found the process of planning a SA donor cycle to be pretty straightforward. We started by selecting a donor by looking through the donor profiles at the different egg donor agencies in Cape Town (where Cape Fertility Clinic is located)... the agencies I looked at included: AbabySA, Sunshine Egg Donors, Nurture, Baby 2 Mom, Gift ov Life and Egg Donor SA (I’m not sure but there might be one or two others). All of these agencies have databases of donor profiles that you can browse through that include childhood photos, personality and medical info. I contacted a few of the agencies and they all were very responsive but I ended up going with Nurture because they had a donor I clicked with. From what I have read of others experiences all the agencies seem pretty good – their role is essentially limited to facilitating the contact between yourself and the donor."

http://www.bubhub.co...South-Africa-12

#63 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

My question for a SA de cycle would be is there any risk of zika or other serious infectious disease?

See about me page.

#64 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

I want to thank so many of you for your kind and helpful responses :) This board is truly a gift.

Hindsight is... you know. Looking at the costs of overseas cycles, I so wish we had spent one of our last 3 summers going this route. And the money we put into multiple failed cycles. I know I can't blame myself and this entire journey is one mysterious and unknown gamble. I guess you can always hope for that golden eg and when you read stories of others that find it after persevering for a long time, you hope it can be you, too.

I feel lucky to have had found a golden egg for my child and have realized it's time to go another route in order to build a family. It doesn't seem donor egg route in Canada or US is feasible for our family at this time... I wish the costs and experiences could be more similar to what others have written about! Maybe we will go back to looking at embryo donation - with miracleswaiting or snowflakes. I know there are far more people desiring embryos than there are available, and we already have a child while others don't, but I guess it's worth a try!

#65 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

"My question for a SA de cycle would be is there any risk of zika or other serious infectious disease?"

Here's the CDC site.  It shows you the countries with local transmission of Zika.  http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

South Africa, not South America.  There is no local transmission of cases in South Africa.  That's 0 cases.

Unfortunately, there are now about 43 locally transmitted cases of Zika in Florida.  New cases in Palm Beach and Tampa, in addition to Miami Beach and the original Wynwood Area.  There are a lot more travel related cases.  The local transmission means it's gotten into the local mosquitos.  Horrific for pregnant women living in Florida.  sad.png   

#66 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

"Maybe we will go back to looking at embryo donation - with miracleswaiting or snowflakes. I know there are far more people desiring embryos than there are available, and we already have a child while others don't, but I guess it's worth a try!"

You might try cold calling clinics.  Some friends did an embryo donation cycle in Indiana for the cost of an FET.  No waiting time. Clinics in the US don't usually publicize the availability of donor embryos, if they are available.  

Here's a blog about a couple who went to a Seattle clinic for embryo donation.  The clinic had in storage an embryo that matched her ethnicity, which is half-Japanese-American. 

http://dontcountyour...mbryo-donation/

Here's her writing about it:

"We actually didn't set out to find a donated embryo. I was looking at clinics that had frozen egg banks because I heard they were less expensive (which they are, but not by all that much.) In a frozen egg bank you end up sharing eggs with other people, which helps bring down the cost. Anyway, I started calling around and found a clinic in Seattle who had a frozen egg bank, and in talking to the program coordinator, donated embryos came up. I hadn't heard much about it at the time, so I asked her if she had any half-Japanese embryos in the "pantry" as she called it. She did. She sent us profiles, which consisted of one page of information about the egg donor and one page of info about the sperm, and for some reason I just connected. It took over six months to actually wrap our heads around this option and then I started medication and was monitored by my RE out here and we flew up for the transfer, and lo and behold it worked."

Good luck!!!  

#67 amsk

amsk
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

Kayte: on the hindsight question, I hear you, but honestly i feel like it's just such a gamble. I did six cycles (plus a few FETs in there!) with my own eggs, and came so close so many times. I could have kept going if I had more time and money to put into it, and if I hadn't found a donor that I really clicked with, i would have probably done another round, which would have had a 90% change of not working. It's such a personal thing go know when to switch tacks.  Don't be hard on yourself. 

Tess: thanks for all that info. I know i would have been very interested to know all that when I was doing my research. I found it hard to gather all the information you need, and it seems to change all the time. 

Tess and Quandry: Zika is so scary! My spouse actually works in Florida half the year and lives in South Beach, right where the second CDC warning is. He just went back after 8 months of being up here in Montreal with me. In a way we are lucky. The warning came out on Aug 1, and he went back down there on Aug 12. So from the first to the 12th, we stockpiled his sperm for freezing. Of course, I've cancelled all my visits down there for the foreseeable future, and if he comes back up here to visit he has to wear a hazmat suit to bed lol.

• Tess likes this

#68 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

amsk,

That's great you stockpiled his sperm!!!  I was surprised by how fast it started to spread in Florida.  I thought with all the air conditioning it would be more contained.  

I can't imagine being pregnant in Florida right now.  :(

#69 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

I think I already know the answer to the question, but throwing it out there.

If I have some med coverage for IVF under my benefits plan, but would need to do a donor egg cycle, would I be able to transfer the med allowance to the donor?

#70 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

I don't think so Kayte, but you'd really need to ask your insurance provider to see.  

See about me page.

#71 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Unfortunately not - you are the insured member under the program and benefits are only payable to services used in your name.

• mouse likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#72 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

In Canada some clinics will bill the medicine to your name.  

In other cases, you might purchase the medicine at the clinic pharmacy yourself, with your credit card, which may place the bill and receipt in your name.   

This is obviously variable between clinics.  You should discuss the billing situation with the clinic and clinic pharmacy prior to the cycle to be very clear how you will be billed, and what receipts you will have in hand to send into insurance.

• idream likes this

#73 amsk

amsk
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hi all,

Well, a little bump in the road for me. My donor was 5 days into her stimulation (I was counting down 9 days til transfer!) when she developed a bad rash. The doctor thinks it's probably from the antibiotics he had her on. In all my rounds of IVF, antibiotics were never part of the stimulation, but this is a new clinic for me, he does things a little differently. Doc advised to stop all meds so that the rash could clear up. Bless this extraordinary woman, she is willing to try again next month without the antibiotic. So new estimated transfer date is October 19. I hope nothing else gets in the way between now and then! I am mostly relieved that she is willing to try again next month though.  What unbelievable generosity -- would be easy and natural for her to think maybe her body is sending her a message to stop all this... 

#74 Nerd4Life

Nerd4Life
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi all,

Well, a little bump in the road for me. My donor was 5 days into her stimulation (I was counting down 9 days til transfer!) when she developed a bad rash. The doctor thinks it's probably from the antibiotics he had her on. In all my rounds of IVF, antibiotics were never part of the stimulation, but this is a new clinic for me, he does things a little differently. Doc advised to stop all meds so that the rash could clear up. Bless this extraordinary woman, she is willing to try again next month without the antibiotic. So new estimated transfer date is October 19. I hope nothing else gets in the way between now and then! I am mostly relieved that she is willing to try again next month though.  What unbelievable generosity -- would be easy and natural for her to think maybe her body is sending her a message to stop all this... 

I'm sorry to hear about this bump in the road for you. I personally really hate when clinics want donors to take antibiotics throughout the whole cycle. It's medically unnecessary and a misuse of antibiotics. I can understand taking them via IV during retrieval and even a day or two before and after the retrieval as a preventative measure, but to take them during the entire stimulation process is completely unnecessary and puts undo strain on the donor's body (especially the digestive track!).

Fingers crossed that things go more smoothly for her on the next try and that's wonderful that she's willing to go another round :) 

• amsk likes this

#75 Babymaybe10

Babymaybe10
  • Just Hatched
  • 17 posts
  • My Clinic:Newlife

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here... I am having my transfer tuesday morning and abit nervous.
We will be transferring 2 blasts... One 4BB and 3BB
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the grade and chance of this working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: donor egg, donor sperm, ivf, iui, surrogacy