First and only try. AMH nose dive. Almost 37. No one to talk to. - Introductions - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

First and only try. AMH nose dive. Almost 37. No one to talk to.

low AMH ICSI AH DOR over 35 alone Hannam funded cycle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet_Pea

Sweet_Pea
  • 67 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam, Create

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

I have no where to vent. I'm a Naturopath, and I have a colleague that's on all the facebook support groups (she doesn't struggle - just in the groups because she treats infertility). I don't feel comfortable posting anything with her always seeing what I say. I feel like I can't be emotional! I'm hoping this is the place where I can be myself and converse with like-minded ladies (and gents).

Starting first and only cycle in Feb. I'm almost 37, and my AMH went from 16 to 9 in 1 year. Last AFC was 19, and FSH ranges 6-7. My RE has completely gone nuts on the drugs. She's giving me 450 IU gonal F and 75 IU luveris. I did an IUI in June, and got 4 follicles on 50IU gonal F. My worry is that I'm going to be over-stimmed and have a bunch of crappy low quality eggs.

Would love to hear some stories of ppl getting beautiful quality 5 day blasts with this amount of drugs.

Thanks for listening!

Me: 37, amh 11.9 pmol, AFC 14-26 depending on month

FSH 7-12 (12 happened one random time after a lot of meds. It's usually around 7)

Compound heterozygous for MTHFR

Hypothyroid

DH: 42, SA is perfect and DNA frag completely normal

TTC since July 2014

Many many rounds of meds (clomid, fsh, letrozole), 4 IUIs, 5 chemicals but nothing more

IVF #1 (Feb 2016):

BCPs 3 weeks, 450IU gonal, 75 IU luveris, and Cetrotide as antagonist

Cancelled because 6 lead follicles were over 1.5 cm after only 3 days of stims!

Should've kept going because I ended up with 12 follicles and estradiol was 11,000.

Obviously they wouldn't let me try naturally, but kind of wish I did. This process is draining sad.png

IVF #1.2 (March 2016):

Natural Start. Same protocol as above and same thing happened.

6 lead follicles took off and were over 1.5 cm by day 3 (wonder if this is d/t high dosage)

12 follicles, 6 retrieved, 4 mature, all 4 fertilized

3 perfect by day 3, all arrested by day 5, nothing to transfer

IVF #2 (November 2016)

Switched clinics to Create.

Currently in full workup. Doing immunology and clotting testing, along with hysteroscopy to r/o anything other RE may have missed

Will have natural start, and do letrozole with 275IU gonal F 

UPDATE October 2016: Natural BFP while waiting to start IVF in November. We're floored! th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 685 at 16dpo

2nd Beta 2468 at 19dpo

3rd Beta 5445 at 22dpo

4th Beta 11,618 at 25dpo (why on earth is my RE doing so many Betas?!)

U/S 6w4d:  perfectly on schedule. HB 132. RE said there's only a 5% miscarriage rate at this point!

U/S 10w3d: growth still on schedule. HB 173.

Harmony results came back. Looks like a healthy GIRL!!!

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Hi Sweet Pea,

I'm really sorry to hear about your AMH nosediving - I've been there and it is so heartbreaking.  It's my understanding that the conversion is 1pmol/L to 7.14 ng/mL ...which...I think places your AMH at 1.26 in the US scale?  Which is diminishing ovarian reserve but not DOR...so...I think your chances are really still quite good.  :)

There is no doubt that Hannam is an excellent clinic and that you'll receive fantastic care.  All this being said - if you don't feel comfortable with their approach I'd encourage you to ask questions about your dosages and if you feel strongly about it consider a second opinion from a clinic that uses a min stim approach.  

I wouldn't and shouldn't weigh in with an opinion on higher doses versus low dose stims due to the lack of my numerous years of medical school and fellowship training...lol...but...I do know that we pay a lot of money for hope and that it's our right and duty to ask as many questions as we can and should about our medical care.

Best of luck to you!

• Yearning likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

I'm also a patient with Hannam. It's quite possible that your doses will be lowered after your first monitoring check. I suspect your Dr. is simply going out of the gates strong to try and recruit as many follicles as possible. Best of luck!

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#4 impatience

impatience
  • Global 100+
  • 220 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

Sweet_Pea, I'm sorry to hear about that. My AMH went from 23 to 11 in about six months, and no one could tell me why. A month later we re-tested (hoping it had been a lab error) and it had gone down even further. I know how heartbreaking it can be. 

As others have said, Hannam is an excellent clinic. Ask lots of questions (are you seeing Dr. Redmond? I have found her great at taking time to explain and allay fears), and like GraceM said, they will adjust your dosages based on your response. I think I stimmed for 8 days and had my dosage adjusted three times! 

Good luck to you! 

#5 Sweet_Pea

Sweet_Pea
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thanks so much all. I didn't see the replies to this thread-Hence the late reply.

It is indeed scary how AMH can drop so rapidly. I was an elite athlete in my past life. I have team mates in their 30's still competing and they have no idea this can happen (or happen to them). Part of me wants to warn them...but that's probably the last thing they want to hear while trying to make the Olympic team! Haha

I've heard great things about hannam too-particularly the lab. It's my understanding that the embryology lab is one of the biggest contributing factors to success rate. Even though they could accept more funded cycles before March, they refuse to because the opening/closing of the incubators affects the embryos (According to RE). I like that they chose quality over money.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate everyone's input and personal stories :)
  • dragnfly likes this

FSH 7-12 (12 happened one random time after a lot of meds. It's usually around 7)

Hypothyroid

TTC since July 2014

Many many rounds of meds (clomid, fsh, letrozole), 4 IUIs, 5 chemicals but nothing more

IVF #1 (Feb 2016):

Should've kept going because I ended up with 12 follicles and estradiol was 11,000.

Obviously they wouldn't let me try naturally, but kind of wish I did. This process is draining sad.png

IVF #1.2 (March 2016):

6 lead follicles took off and were over 1.5 cm by day 3 (wonder if this is d/t high dosage)

IVF #2 (November 2016)

Currently in full workup. Doing immunology and clotting testing, along with hysteroscopy to r/o anything other RE may have missed

UPDATE October 2016: Natural BFP while waiting to start IVF in November. We're floored! th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 685 at 16dpo

2nd Beta 2468 at 19dpo

3rd Beta 5445 at 22dpo

U/S 6w4d:  perfectly on schedule. HB 132. RE said there's only a 5% miscarriage rate at this point!

#6 dragnfly

dragnfly
  • Global 100+
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, working on cars, my chickens
  • My Clinic:CORM, Beaumont,TX, USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Hi Sweet_pea, I am new to this site & everyone has been very supportive and so nice. Crazy how it is easier to talk to strangers going through similar experience than our friends and family. Most of our family does not even know we are doing IVF.

Quick rundown of my history:
Same age as u, TTC for 10 years, 2 rounds IVF retrievals, 11dp5dt, Beta on Sunday

Like u my numbers weren't all that great, 1st IVF cycle did not go very well. I only had 10 eggs, 3 mature, only 2 fertilized, 1 is a healthy blast. Needless to say I was devastated. Didn't help that I got the call while in line at Starbucks. My estrogen levels were through the roof, so needless to say, I had a complete breakdown in the middle of Starbucks.

2nd IVF cycle my RE changed my protocol to a much more aggressive approach...20 units Micro-dose Lupron 2x day & 225iu Follistem 2x day with a 2cc Novarel Trigger. Did not over-stim but was real close. They had me drink/eat lots of protein & drink lots of Gatorade. Had to weigh myself daily & take temp a few times a day, but was all worth it

22 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 9 fertilized, 4 healthy blasts

Good luck, we are all pulling for u
  • Sweet_Pea and littlecornfield like this
Me:40/DH:40TOGETHER 24 YEARS, MARRIED 16TTC for 10 years before IVF journey beganSurgery in Feb 2015 to remove large fibroid, polyps, & cysts1st IVF ER in Sept 2015- 10 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized w/ ICSI, 2 blastosysts initially frozen,one embryo did not survive thaw for PGS testing ( very poor grade)2nd IVF ER in Nov 2015- 22 eggs, 13 mature, 9 fertilized w/ICSI, 5 blastocysts, 6 total sent out for PGS, 1 missing a chromosome, 2 monosomies & 3 passed test with good grades1st FET - January 17th 2016, BFN 1-31-16, looks like it may have been a chemical3/8/16 - SHG all clear2nd FET - 3/28/16...officially PUPO!4/5/16 - BFP on HPT4/7/16 - no longer just PUPO, Beta = 3144/11/16 - 2nd beta = 3225!!4/20/16 - 6 weeks, 1st u/s. 4mm, measuring 6w1d, heartbeat = 112bpm!5/4/16 - 8 weeks, 2nd u/s. 16mm,measuring 8w1d, heartbeat = 175bpm5/18/16 - 10 weeks, 3rd u/s. 1 1/2 inches, measuring 10w5d (big baby), 180bpmOk, long story shorterWater broke at 23w5d, DD born at 25w1d. She lived 1st 5 months in NICU in Galveston TX (amazing people)I moved to Galveston TX for 5 months, was not leaving that island w/o my babyShe will be 4 on 9/1/20 and is by far the most amazing person i have ever met!!!And the journey continues...ER Nov 2020, just after Thanksgiving- 5 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 made it to blast but then failed PGSER Mar 29,2020-4 new meds added to protocol (including HGH and Cetrotide), 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 blast failed PGS

And we are officially out
Best of luck to all!

#7 Sweet_Pea

Sweet_Pea
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

wow, that's wonderful news dragonfly! May I ask what is your age? You made me feel a lot bet about my insanely high stims :)

Keep us posted on your beta! Everything looks perfect :)

Hypothyroid

TTC since July 2014

IVF #1 (Feb 2016):

IVF #1.2 (March 2016):

IVF #2 (November 2016)

1st Beta 685 at 16dpo

2nd Beta 2468 at 19dpo

3rd Beta 5445 at 22dpo

#8 dragnfly

dragnfly
  • Global 100+
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, working on cars, my chickens
  • My Clinic:CORM, Beaumont,TX, USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

DH & I will be 37 in Aug/Sept
Me:40/DH:40TOGETHER 24 YEARS, MARRIED 16TTC for 10 years before IVF journey beganSurgery in Feb 2015 to remove large fibroid, polyps, & cysts1st IVF ER in Sept 2015- 10 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized w/ ICSI, 2 blastosysts initially frozen,one embryo did not survive thaw for PGS testing ( very poor grade)2nd IVF ER in Nov 2015- 22 eggs, 13 mature, 9 fertilized w/ICSI, 5 blastocysts, 6 total sent out for PGS, 1 missing a chromosome, 2 monosomies & 3 passed test with good grades1st FET - January 17th 2016, BFN 1-31-16, looks like it may have been a chemical3/8/16 - SHG all clear2nd FET - 3/28/16...officially PUPO!4/5/16 - BFP on HPT4/7/16 - no longer just PUPO, Beta = 3144/11/16 - 2nd beta = 3225!!4/20/16 - 6 weeks, 1st u/s. 4mm, measuring 6w1d, heartbeat = 112bpm!5/4/16 - 8 weeks, 2nd u/s. 16mm,measuring 8w1d, heartbeat = 175bpm5/18/16 - 10 weeks, 3rd u/s. 1 1/2 inches, measuring 10w5d (big baby), 180bpmOk, long story shorterWater broke at 23w5d, DD born at 25w1d. She lived 1st 5 months in NICU in Galveston TX (amazing people)I moved to Galveston TX for 5 months, was not leaving that island w/o my babyShe will be 4 on 9/1/20 and is by far the most amazing person i have ever met!!!And the journey continues...ER Nov 2020, just after Thanksgiving- 5 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 made it to blast but then failed PGSER Mar 29,2020-4 new meds added to protocol (including HGH and Cetrotide), 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 blast failed PGS

And we are officially out
Best of luck to all!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: low AMH, ICSI, AH, DOR, over 35, alone, Hannam, funded cycle