hope for a last round? any success stories late in the game? - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

hope for a last round? any success stories late in the game?

IVF ICSI AH miscarriage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lilyofthevalley

lilyofthevalley
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

Hello all, 

I'm looking for a pep talk and some hope, please. My husband and I have been trying for 5 years with multiple IUIs, 3 IVF, 1 FET, one miscarriage. This next round is our last chance as we are out of $$$. We have unexplained infertility, I'm 37. 

IVF 1 - cancelled due to clinical error

IVF 2 - 14 eggs collected, 2 fert, one transferred, one frozen.

FET - 1 transferred - it worked! miscarried at 6 weeks.

IVF (ICSI) 3 - 5 eggs collected, 4 fert, 2 embryos transferred, none to freeze.

This round we are pulling out all the stops! I'm having a hysteroscopy to see if all looks good inside, and then our doc ordered a bunch of further blood tests for "multiple miscarriages" to see if one of those factors may explain the lack of getting preg also. If all tests are good, we will do a final IVF round with steroids, ICSI, AH, and increased meds! I'm hopeful that these tests will find a fixable problem instead of being trapped in "unexplained" land. I'm hopeful because medically at least, we are not at the end of options.... But I'm also terrified that this last round will not work, then it will all be over. And each long-protocol round of IVF gets harder and harder physically and emotionally - and I really don't know how I'm going to get through this all again. 

Any support or encouragement would be very appreciated. This journey has been so long, and so hard. I want to go into this final round ready to fight but I can barely scrape myself off the ground these days.

Thank you.

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

Wishing you all the best Lilly with your upcoming cycle. There is always so much stress financially and emotionally. Hoping this is your cycle and that your journey brings a happy end to your family story. Best of luck!
  • gibasgirl and lilyofthevalley like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:05 AM

Hello Lily.

Firstly, I am sending you a big virtual hug. (((HUG)))

The process is stressful and fraught with all kinds of what ifs. The good thing is your doctor sounds like they are on your side and trying their best to make parenthood a reality for you and your partner. That helps.

From a protocol standpoint it sounds like they are putting an effort into tailoring something for you. Can anything else be done or explored, you ask? In the world of IVF there are so many approaches and philosophies, so there are many different ways to approach the same (or similar) situation.

Intralipids come to mind because they can help lower the incidence of NK (Natural Killer) cells, if that is an issue. However, not all doctors believe immunology is a factor. Although the use of steroids is part of an immune protocol sometimes (reduces inflammation).

From a peace of mind standpoint, I will tell you that it is important to keep a connection to the things that bring you joy and the things that bring joy to you and your husband. I am sure you experienced how all-consuming the IVF process can be. Remember to do things that you enjoy. See a movie. Keep up with at least one of your hobbies, listen to music that you enjoy. Practice breathing exercises, meditation, or mindfulness, something, anything to quiet the stress that sometimes arises during an IVF cycle.

Breathe.

We are cheering for both of you.

All the best.
  • Yearning and lilyofthevalley like this

#4 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:10 AM

PS, Welcome to the community.

Feel free to join a "Cycle Buddies" thread. The people on it are all going through an IVF/FET/IUI cycle. Just join a group that lines up with the month that you are starting a cycle. It is handy because everyone is going through the same thing at around the same time. It also makes it less lonely, too. Often in our real lives, there are few (if any) people going through IVF, so they don't always know how to relate to what we go through or how to provide the encouraging support that is needed during IVF. But the people here are going through it and can relate.

:wavey:
  • lilyofthevalley likes this

#5 lilyofthevalley

lilyofthevalley
  • 13 posts
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

THANK YOU for the amazing support! You guys know just what I need to hear and it helps me so very much. It gives me such a boost for this next round to know I have others cheering for me. Very uplifting. 

I'm going to follow all the advice and take care of myself (and husband) and join a cycle buddies thread. 

• gibasgirl likes this

#6 Kitty2011

Kitty2011
  • Global 100+
  • 206 posts
  • My Clinic:New Life Fertility

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

I just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world. I had 3 fresh IVFS, 9 FETs to get my baby. Its a long, hard process I know but when it works its beautiful. For me what worked was a non-medicated cycle, and a few accunpuncture sessions. 

Wishing you all the best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, ICSI, AH, miscarriage