12 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy1979

Nancy1979
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

Looking for some advice or help on making my own baby food. I honestly dont know where or how to start. What food would be good to start and then how to go from stage 1 of food to stage 2. I have read that some food are for stage 2 since there harder on babies tummy. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I started with things like sweet potato, Apple, pear, and I quickly added fish, chicken, beef, pork...oh and avocado was a favorite early on :) Good luck! !!I can't remember what website I used, but I just did some googling and found great tips and recipes. I froze everything in ice cube trays so that I could make big batches!
  • Red Wine likes this
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#3 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

I have to admit I jumped in almost immediately with meat and veggies. I didn't want to go the fruit route early and have her only like sweet foods. Only fruit I give her so far is mushed bananas. It's super easy to make! Steam veggies then blend. I add NO salt added chicken broth to make it nice and smooth. Chicken baked in oven then blended the same way. Ground lean pork cooked then blended and so on. And I also froze everything in ice cube trays. Even with her cereal I gave oat based which may be more difficult to digest because I felt rice really didn't have anything nutritious in it. She didn't have any issues. Good luck!
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#4 Nancy1979

Nancy1979
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

Thank you ladies

#5 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

The guidelines change super often on what/when/how to feed babies. Truthfully, do what works for you. The current guidelines say that you can introduce any food after 6 months, except for honey which needs to be held off until 12 months. So no more stage 1/2, at least according to the guidelines. Many people right now are into baby lead weaning, which basically means that you put food in front of your baby on a tray and let them have at it. Whatever it is. You can watch youtube videos of 9 month olds chowing down on pork chops and broccoli. The idea is that babies will eat what they need to and that they can sort it out once they are ready and will spit it out if they aren't. Didn't work for us. My guy gagged on everything that wasn't blended for several months, and was way to hungry to go on milk alone. So we blended. I steamed fruits, or veggies, and froze in ice cube trays. Then to serve I would grab different combinations of things, thaw them together, add a bit of breastmilk or water if it needed to be thinner, or cereal if it needed to be thicker. Carrots, sweet potato, squash, pear, cauliflower were all favourites. In a pinch I used store bought foods on the go, but my guy hated them, he much preferred the home made stuff.

Best of luck on this new stage of parenting adventure! Take lots of pics and videos. It's a super cute phase. They make the best expressions when they are trying new things. And don't be afraid to get creative. At about 8 months old my son tried indian food for the first time and loved it. Same with thai. Spicy food didn't bother him at all before he was a year. Only after turning 2 did he start to get bothered by it. He actually ate pretty shockingly spicy stuff when he was younger and begged for more!

Also - just wanted to let you know I relocated the post to the parenting section as the clinic section is mainly for topics related to cycling ;)

:flowers:

• Red Wine and CdnHockeyGal like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#6 Nancy1979

Nancy1979
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

Thanks we tired carrots and sweet potatoes today. Poor him he gagged on both of them but more for the carrots. Hopefully he will like something.

#7 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

It can take many tries of a new food before accepting it. Also, it is very common for babies to spit out food and gag when first learning to chew and swallow.

See about me page.

#8 Nancy1979

Nancy1979
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thanks we tired carrots again for lunch, I even put some of his milk in it to help with taste. He still gagged poor thing. I almost feel discourage. I want him to like the food. He loves rice cereal. I even thought of trying something else. People keep telling to stay away from fruits because they usually tend to like them more then veggies. Also I'm a little confused with something. I thought we give food first then milk after but there has been 2 people telling me milk first then top off with food and keep a little of milk to help bring down the food. Honestly I never seen of heard of this until now.

#9 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

I made my own baby food too, but I would only make small amounts and not freeze any. I didn't find it hard to make little bits of food more frequently as the puree stage is short (I thought so at least).

I think the food rules have changed and there are lots of myths about what you can and can't feed babies. Breastmilk is sweet tasting, so formula manufacturers have tried to mimic the flavour of formula to taste like breastmilk so it is very normal that babies (and most people) enjoy sweet tasting food. The only real rules to food these days are that you wait generally until 6 months to feed solids and don't feed honey prior to 12 months. Honey can cause a severe type of food poisoning.

We fed our son easily digestible fruits and veggies first and in this order (pear, apple, sweet potato, avocados). Later we introduced broccoli, squash, berries, etc. He eats a variety of fruits and veggies at his current age of 17 months. I think you can feed a baby fruit first and they will like veggies later. I think the main thing as the child gets older if he sees you enjoying healthful meals and snacks then he will probably follow your lead.

As for spitting out food and gagging, that's normal. Babies are finicky creatures. You can feed a baby carrots for a week and the baby will love it and the next week the baby will spit carrots out of his mouth. Then you wait a week or two and he likes carrots again. That's how babies are. They like it, then they don't and it is so normal. I think you should try a variety of fruits and veggies and sometimes you hit a winner! Also, sometimes the baby doesn't want to eat. Sometimes my son will eat barely nothing one day and eat a ton the next day. Sometimes he eats a big breakfast and hardly nothing for lunch and dinner. Don't fuss over how much or little your baby is eating. The baby will he what he wants and the quantity he wants.

I believe the current recommendation is to feed breastmilk/formula first then the solid foods. I believe they want you to do this order as breastmilk/formula should still be the main source of nutrients for the baby for the first year of his life. However, I usually fed him the solid food first and breastmilk later as he would drink breastmilk and never eat solid food. He was and still is a breastmilk-oholic!!!

My recommendation is to try a variety of fruits and veggies. Let you baby determine the quantity of food he eats. Have fun! Don't worry about what the baby eats or doesn't eat right now. As long as your baby is growing then you are ok. Try to avoid advice from the older generation as they have the worst parenting advice and food advice.

Good luck and have fun.

• mrsfinxy and ENF like this

See about me page.

#10 Nancy1979

Nancy1979
  • Global 100+
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Thank you so much red wine. I was getting so discourage that my little was not going to like any baby food. I even had a break down the other day. I don't want to force him to eat something he doesn't like but I would like to see him eat something that he likes. I tried squash one night and seemed to like, of course the next day he didn't like squash. I keep trying things for 2 days in a row to make sure he doesn't have any reactions to them. I was even wondering if he will like the store bought food instead of homemade. I even called our local health unit and the nurse said I can try some puree meat since he will need some iron. I guess the best thing is to try different things? Can it happen that my little one will not like to many veggies? DH is not a big veggies person. I will keep trying to get to stress out about this.

• Red Wine likes this

#11 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

nancy - food before one is just for fun, no need to be so stressed about it.  Some days they will eat more, some days less, some start at 6 months, some start at 8 months.  I did a version of baby led weaning (i didn't puree anything but put the food in her mouth instead of herself) and she ate meat from the beginning.  I think I started with bananas.  I remember reading about baby led weaning and they said that the baby's gag point is in the middle of the mouth and not the throat like us, this is a natural protection mechanism so it's harder for babies to choke because they gag before the food even reaches their throat.  I know it's pretty scary to watch and I have stuck my hand in my daughter's mouth before when she gagged, but then I remember that the gag point is not the throat and I feel better.

• mouse, Red Wine and Ola1981 like this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#12 vball_gal

vball_gal
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP (Calgary)

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

Ah I remember the joys of introducing solids ;-)  My twins are 2 now.   I did Baby Led Weaning with them as well.  My first word of advice, trust your instincts with their eating and don't listen to anyone else ;-)   My second word of advice is to not stress over the next 6-12 months minimum.  If you stress, they will notice your stress and wonder why so just think "fun".   "Food is fun".    My twins went through lots of ups and downs of days eating lots, to eating practically nothing.   Sometime it's the result of teething, sometimes they just don't want to eat, other times who knows! ;-)   We just made sure we had enough formula/breast milk on hand for days when they ate less.  My son honestly wasn't that interested in solids until around 8 months, my daughter not until 9 months.   Whether you do the bottle before they eat or after they eat, it's your choice they will get there.   I think the only important date I had in mind was around 12 months, that became a date to make sure that there was a true transition starting to happen where solids was primary and milk was secondary.   Good luck with it.  Remind yourself you've never seen a 5 year old with a bottle, or at least I haven't ;-)

• mouse and Red Wine like this
See my about page for more information...

#13 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

I think with all things that babies/toddlers do things when they are ready. My little guy has been eating solid food for a while, but he recently got his first molars at around 16 months and my husband and I have both noticed he has increased his intake of solid foods. I don't think you have to be entirely worried about the baby eating a lot of solid food at 12 months unless he/she is ready. For us, it seems like the more teeth the more he eats and it probably is because he can eat better.

Also, they say to feed meat (iron rich foods), but some babies take to them better than others. My son doesn't like poultry or fish. When we fed him fish he puked and he always spits out poultry. He will eat ground beef in dishes, but he won't eat beef such as roast beef or steak as he can't chew it good enough. He will chew on it and spit it out. Some kids just need more time accepting foods.

best of luck

See about me page.