38 replies to this topic

#1 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai fertility Clinic

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

Ladies I know I've posted quite a bit lately but today my biggest fear has arose! I'm being told I need to decide if I should cancel my cycle due to egg count or go forward? I know you only need 1 to get pregnant but I'm so lost. Last retrieval we had 15. Not 1 fertilized. 😢
This round were looking at 3...with the possibility of 2 small ones catching up maybe....I have 2- 1.7 & a 1.9...& a 1.4 & 1.3 I believe. I'm on day day 9 of stims. I retrieved on day 11 last round. I really need your ladies advice...good stories on low numbers but success. I basically have until this afternoon to decide.

#2 autumnmarie

autumnmarie
  • 1000+
  • 2735 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

Did your clinic give you any guidance as to which way to lean?

Me: 33, DH, 35

TTC - 2012

2014: MMC

2015: the year of pills, shots, IUIs and an ectopic

2016: BFP, EDD 4/19/2017

#3 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

Dr thinks I could produce more (because of last round)...so I think he's leaning towards cancelling. But o mist say the dr who did my u/s sat. Said remember it only takes 1! The nurse wants me to try 1 more day of stims but it's really the drs who make the end decision.

#4 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

What was your AFC at the start of the cycle? I have heard that generally speaking roughly half of your AFC will be retrieved. And AFC varies highly from one cycle to the next. Could be that you didn't have much at the start of the cycle so not much to work with. Also - what is your insurance coverage like? If you are paying for meds out of pocket then the cost of continuing with the cycle is cheaper than starting over again. Does that make sense? The retrieval itself is probably the same price as 2 days of stims. So if you are this far into it, maybe go forward with the retrieval and see what happens. Also - I have heard of cases where having lots of eggs didn't work out, and a subsequent cycle with far fewer was successful, possibly because the smaller number of eggs were higher quality. At the end of the day it's a gamble either way - IF is so hard - you never know what will happen. Follow your heart, and your doctor's guidance. Personally if there is no specific harm in moving forward with a retrieval and you can afford to do it, if it was me, I would do it. My personal preference is to only transfer an embryo if everything looks perfect, so I'll cancel an embryo transfer with no qualms, but a retrieval, if there is no risk then why not? Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

:flowers:

• CdnHockeyGal and Womb Occupied like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#5 Womb Occupied

Womb Occupied
  • Global 100+
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Working out, knitting and chilling with my hubby & pets.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

We are waiting for our first IVF cycle, so I have no experience here; sorry.

You may second guess your decision either way, but I always try to trust my gut. I figure that little voice in my head is there for a reason...

2cents.gif

33yo, dh 36yo
Unexplained diagnosis, though LPD, DOR and sub-optimal motility likely factors
TTC 3+ years, 1 clomid, 2 tamoxifen cycles in 2014, 3 IUI cycles in 2015 with 2 chemical pregnancies & 1 bfn

Got the call for OHIP covered cycle mid January 2016
Microdose Flare protocol - BCP started 01/26, injections as of 02/18
03/02 13 eggs retrieved (9 mature, 5 fertilized)
03/07 B3grade2 transferred, none to freeze
03/18 beta: 435  th_abfp.gif
03/21 beta repeat: 2146, progesterone >127
04/05 1 beautiful little embryo, measuring 7w1d, 133bpm 

xCODm4.png

#6 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

I understand your dilemma and it isn't an easy decision.  I've been in all categories - converted a cycle to IUI because of poor response, had a cycle where none of the eggs fertilized and continued with a cycle with only a few retrieved (and got very very lucky and had success).

In my case, I had DOR so always expected a low number.  I was at Mt Sinai for my final and successful cycle (my previous cycle at another clinic had zero fertlization so I know how you feel).  They thought I would only get a couple eggs and asked if I wanted to cancel.  For me the decision was easier than for you - I knew I'd never get a lot of eggs so I continued.

I did end up getting more eggs than they expected (6), but 5 of the 6 were immature.  2 fertiized including 1 of the immature eggs and we transferred a 5 and an 8 cell and got really really lucky as we got our baby.

You can have success with a lower number, but the odds are lower.  I can't tell you what decision I would make in your place - it is really a hard choice.  You may get more eggs in another cycle, but maybe your "good" egg is there now...it is a gamble either way and there is no right answer.

I wish you the best in making your decision.  

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#7 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Thanks hoping-I'm more confused now than anything. Had my ultrasound and said that if we didn't have 5 to work with we would cancel. ..well we have 3 for sure and a 1.5 & a 1.0. Obviously the 1.0 is no good. But I think we will go forward. This has been very emotional this round for me. ...went from having 15 last round to possibly 4 this round...all the meds. ..travelling...time off work ..heartache. ..I appreciate everyone's input and stories of hope. Thanks agsin and I hope it turns out to be a great decision. Would love to get my very first bfp!
  • Hopingfor1 and Womb Occupied like this

#8 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Fingers crossed your baby is in there Wishin.

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#9 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

Thanks everyone made it official we will go forward. My whole heart is into this! Will keep everyone posted as it comes. Thursday will be retrieval.
  • Hopingfor1 and CdnHockeyGal like this

#10 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for you too!

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#11 Reena28

Reena28
  • Global 100+
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Reading, working out
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:First Steps

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

All the best, Wishin. Keep us posted!
TTC since March 2014; Me 34 - DH 37; never conceived

March 2015 Joined clinic for Cycle monitoring - Sx for polypectomy in June 2015, found Endometriosis (I'm assuming mild, stage 1-2) - 2 failed IUIs

Jan 2016 (funded) IVF (15 retrieved, 1 last blast was abnormal as per PGS)

IVF #2 - beginning of April 2016
4 mature eggs retrieved April 19th
4 blasts for freezing!!!!! FET to be done July 2016

July 21 - hatching blast transferred (close to perfect 1ab)
July 27 - HPT+!!!!!
Aug 2 - 385 *happy dance*
Aug 4 - 1408 (14dp5dt)
Aug 6 - 3202
Aug 8 - 5947 (??not double)
Aug 18 - first ultrasound
Oc 2016 - due date moved from April 8th to 7th!

#12 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Ladies thank you for all of your positive vibes sent....I want to tell you that they actually retrieved 8!!! No idea what shape their in but so much nicer to hear 8 then 4 right!? Now waiting on pins and needles to see about my biggest fear-fertilization.
  • CdnHockeyGal and impatience like this

#13 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Really happy to hear that! Fingers crossed for fertilization!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#14 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

Omg ladies great news thanks to all of your prayers! ! 5 out of the 8 FERTILIZED!!! the other 3 she said may come through for us by tomorrow! !! I'm so happy. .I'm bawling.
  • mouse, CdnHockeyGal, Munchy40 and 1 other like this

#15 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Wonderful news!!!!  I'm so happy for you!

#16 Sophiemarie

Sophiemarie
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
  • My Clinic:Montreal fertility clinic

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Yeaaa congrats on them fertilizing
Fingers crossed for tomorrow
Stay positive
Sending u hugs n prayers

#17 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

My my ladies my news couldn't get any better!! I've learned a big lesson today...trust your instinct and the ladies that have been through all of this!! We have 8...YES YOU HEARD ME ALL 8!!! it just baffles me 0/15 last cycle and 8/8 this time! And to think by the name of this post is yo retrieve or cancel?? Thank you for all of the prayers!! Keep em up because it's working. ❤❤
  • Hopingfor1 and CdnHockeyGal like this

#18 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thrilled!!! Fingers crossed for great division and a nice looking blast on day 5!

#19 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

Thank you cdnhockeygal. Forgot to mention they said all 8 were 4-5 cell so we're pretty happy.
  • Hopingfor1, CdnHockeyGal and Munchy40 like this

#20 Munchy40

Munchy40
  • Global 100+
  • 353 posts
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

Yay:)

#21 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Well sadly we lost 1 today 😢 I know it's bound to happen-no more updates from here out until transfer happens so I'll be on pins and needles. Thsnks for everyone's support and advice. We owe you!

#22 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

I'm sorry you lost one, but I was so happy to read that overall you got a GREAT number and had a very successful fertilization report.  Like you said - don't worry about losing one.  It is expected.  

I'm glad the numbers were so much better than what you were expecting!  Waiting for the phone call updates is very stressful, so getting good news is such a relief.

2013 - Switch clinics

Slow response as usual

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

#23 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Thank you hoping but I have great news. ..I had my et today and I had 1 put in today. ..2 to freeze and potentially another 3 to freeze tomorrow! !! I guess the 3 still growing are 4bb and 4bc's. It was easy peasy. ..er was the worst part.
  • Hopingfor1, CdnHockeyGal, SunshineTTC and 1 other like this

#24 Munchy40

Munchy40
  • Global 100+
  • 353 posts
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:32 PM

Yay Wishin! Keep us posted:)

#25 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hey ladies thought I'd update you..we lost the other ones-apparently they didn't make blast so we have 2 that were froze..I'm on 5dpt...I feel nothing which obviously makes me sad-I know some people don't get symptoms at all-all I've had was bad bad cramping off and on but that's been since day 1. Please keep me in your prayers that there was a reason I didn't cancel this cycle!!