TTC w Unexplained Infertility, 38 move to IVF? - Introductions - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

TTC w Unexplained Infertility, 38 move to IVF?

IVF 35 unexplained infertility iui clomid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ladybug14

ladybug14
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Valley Reproductive Center

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board so I wanted to introduce myself.

I am 38 and my DH and I are diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We tried on our own naturally for over 1 year. Have been doing acupuncture for fertility for 1 year and have done 1 natural IUI and 1 clomid 100 IUI, both BFN.

We are doing one more climid IUI this cycle and want to make a decision about moving to IVF. We may try the injectables IUI but not sure how much success that would have. If anyone has experience or stories or guidance to share, it would be amazing because we are trying to make the right choice.

I have a high AMH and good levels all around and make good eggs....not sure if this matters as we still don't get preggos....thanks in advance!!!

#2 cherry123

cherry123
  • Cyclebase
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

If money is not an issue, I would move to IVF given your age

I think IUI are really a waste of time after you have tried it a few time and the same emotional investment. Also, IVF is diagnostic. So if they have yet to determine the reason for your infertility, it may help find the reason. Good luck. 

#3 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi ladybug - welcome!  Glad you found us!  In a word...yes...I would absolutely proceed to IVF.  It's great news that your AMH levels are healthy which gives you a very good chance.  Once we're over 35 approximately 60% of the eggs we produce are aneuploid and not capable of propagating a healthy pregnancy...and it declines again in your 40's.  As such...if it's financially feasible, I would encourage you to consider IVF as your best chance of success.  IVF should be able to recruit more follicles than an IUI and allow you to transfer the best blasts with a better shot at a baby.  You'll find lots of experience on this site for you to draw on...hoping you find your BFP soon.  :)

All the best to you in your journey!

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#4 PDub

PDub
  • 50 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi ladybug. I can't speak on IVF as we were successful on the IUI and injectables. After 3 years of trying, naturopathic methods, 6 months of chlomid and 3 IUI's we moved to Puregon and I wish we would've gone straight to injectables from the beginning because my clinic doesn't monitor Chlomid cycles through ultrasound. That being said, the injectables were uncomfortable and not a lot of fun for my body, I was going to do only one more round of them before going onto IVF. My thoughts were - if I'm going to be uncomfortable, I might as well do IVF with higher success rates and we had a lifetime max of fertility drugs of $5K per drug, so I didn't want to waste those all on injectables. 

#5 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'd recommend IVF.  All my numbers were good too, and over a few years we did 12 IUI's (different drugs and doses) but weren't successful.  At 37 we did an IVF and got lucky.  That's just my experience, but looking back I wish we'd have moved to IVF sooner so that we'd have had a better chance at a second child.  I regret that we wasted so much time.

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#6 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic / Mount Sinai

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board so I wanted to introduce myself.

I am 38 and my DH and I are diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We tried on our own naturally for over 1 year. Have been doing acupuncture for fertility for 1 year and have done 1 natural IUI and 1 clomid 100 IUI, both BFN.

We are doing one more climid IUI this cycle and want to make a decision about moving to IVF. We may try the injectables IUI but not sure how much success that would have. If anyone has experience or stories or guidance to share, it would be amazing because we are trying to make the right choice.

I have a high AMH and good levels all around and make good eggs....not sure if this matters as we still don't get preggos....thanks in advance!!!

Hi Ladybug,

I was in exactly the same boat as you at 38. We had our DS naturally and then we tried naturally for 2 years to get pregnant and no luck. After two failed IUI's (one was a miscarriage at 6 weeks) we moved to IVF. We didn't get as many embryos as we hoped but it only takes one good one! I'm currently 25 weeks along with baby #2 after the second IVF transfer. As others have said, if you can afford to go to IVF, I highly recommend it. It's not easy with all the injections etc... but worth it! Good Luck!

Me: 41 DH: 43

Unexplained Secondary Infertility

We have a beautiful son conceived naturally born by ER C-section in 2011

5 Weeks PP, Deep Vein Thrombosis, blood clots formed in my leg, then went to my lungs!!!

Spent 10 days in hospital, on Warfarin for almost a year until end of 2012. Couldn't TTC until off blood thinners

Since then...

March 2014 - 1 Natural pregnancy ended in MC @ 6W

November 2014 - 1 IUI - BFN

December 2014 - 2nd IUI - BFP - MC @ 6W - moving to IVF

May 2015 - Started Stims for IVF, Menopur, Gonal F, Orgalutron, HCG,

6 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blast at 5 days

June 2015 - 5 day blast fresh transfer - BFN

August 2015 - FET scheduled

August 2015 - th_abfp.gif

September 2015 - Viability scan confirms blob with heartbeat thumbup.gif

October 2015 - 12 week scan and follow-up! It's a nailbiter! crsd.gif crsd.gif

Got my referral to Mount Sinai Special Pregnancy Program - very happy

15 weeks and listened to the beautiful music of the heartbeat nice and strong! thumbup.gif thumbup.gif  Fingers still crossed!

31 weeks along now. Can't wait to meet this little one!

Sarah Ashley was born on April 4th 2016, 1:41am, weighing a whopping 9 pounds 11 ounces!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, 35, unexplained, infertility, iui, clomid