Disappointing experience with Olive, is PCRM good? Please share experiences - PCRM - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointing experience with Olive, is PCRM good? Please share experiences

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks.

#2 Raspberry

Raspberry
  • 1000+
  • 1767 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:UBC / VFC

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Look into VFC!!!! Dr Hudson and his staff is amazing!!!!!!!!!
  • Jaya likes this
Me: 37
DH: 42
DX: Endo + DORUBC swithed to VFC in April2010
IVF#1 - June 2011 Natural start - Antagonist - BFN
IVF#2 - Nov 2011 Flare protocol from hell - Nothing to transfer...
IVF#3 - 2012...Mini IVF..??? Waiting for a miracle...
IVF#3 - Start EPP March 14th. ( 4mg Estrace a day) - Baseline u/s on March 28 2012 - AFC=1!! WOW!! The worst AFC ever. Cycle cancelled
IVF#4 - Mini IVF! 2 eggs - No mircale for us...time to move on..Moving to DE!

Our prayers been answered...An angel found us...she is offering the biggest gift and we are saying yes yes yes!
We are so happy and thankful.

DE IVF- Jan/Feb 2013...I have a good feeling about 2013!

2013 Feb 05- Our lovely donor first u/s! 75 follicles! Amazing

2013 Feb 15- First u/s at VFC...follicles looking good...my lining is 10mm! So happy! Intralipids, Medrol.

2013Feb 21- ER..got 40 eggs! Over the moon...the wait begins and FX for good news!
2013 Feb 26 - Transferred 1 day 5 already hatching embryo...17 made it to freeze..Amazing!!
2013 March 8 - BETA day!!!
2013 March 8 - 1st BETA= 656! 10dp5dt We are pregnant! ❤
2013 March 11 - 2nd BETA= 2622! 13dp5dt Very happy!
2013 March 22 - Spotting - First u/s...! - 6 wks 1 day one beautiful bean with a HB. We are in LOVE!
2013 April 4th - Red Spotting - U/S - 8 wks 1 day - Bean is growing like a weed.
2013 April 12 - U/S at VFC - 9 weeks 1 day - Bean is starting to look like a "baby"
2013 May 3- U/S at VFC - 12 weeks 1 day - FX!! Baby looks good! Graduated from VFC..
2013 May 6- 12 weeks 4 day - NT Scan very active baby! Everything looking good! ❤❤❤
2013 June 24 - 19 weeks 4 day - 20 weeks u/s...We are having a BOY!!!! So So Happy!!!
Bed rest from week 29 due to shortening cervix

Baby Noah was born on November 4th 8:26 am. 21 inches and 7"11. We are over the moon! He is the cutest baby! Our journey is complete! Remember never give up! There always be a next step! XoXo

#3 CatC

CatC
  • 71 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

I'm in the same boat. I was at Olive too and have switched to the PCRM. It took me three months to get into Olive and only two weeks to get into PCRM. While at Olive I had some concerns that I expressed to my RE/nurses and they just brushed them off. I felt like I was left in the dark and my case was not taken seriously. Even after each failed IUI, they never got back to me to discuss what they could do differently. I'm now at the stage where I'm pursuing IVF and no bs. My first consult is on Thursday morning with Dr. Roberts aka IVF guru. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • lumnay and Jaya like this
Me-32 DH-47 UnexplainedTTC since 2013
2015- July, August, October IUI's - th_abfn.gif

July 2016- IVF
Antagonist Protocol- 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur, .25 Cetrotide
July 5-ER- 13 Retrieved, 11 Mature, 9 Fertilized, 3 Arrested, 6 Beautiful Embryos🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
July 10- ET- transferred 1 3AA blast, 2 frozen blasts
9dp5dt- Beta 81- BFP!!!
11dp5dt- Beta 281!!!
18dp5dt- Beta 4310!!!
7wks 4day Ultrasound-Heartbeat only 92bpm
9wks 4day Ultrasound- confirmed miscarriage

March 2017
March 14- FET-transferred 1 3AA blast and 1 3BB blast
March 23- BFN😭😭😭

#4 MrsOrchid

MrsOrchid
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

I can't speak to Olive but can honestly say that I was very happy with PCRM. I always felt they cared and we weren't just a number in their system. All my concerns were taken seriously and hands down, every time I called and left a message for the nurses or the doctor I got a call back that same day. I was also able to talk to an embryologist a couple days after transfer. My point, I felt that all staff on each level made themself available.
Good luck on your journey.
Ah, and fwiw, I was with Dr Roberts.
Me: 31, DOR
DH: 32, no MF

12.2010 - Off BCP
06.2011 - starting TTC
12.2011 - FSH 12.6 referred to RE
01.2012 - AFC 10; DX with DOR
01.2012 - start TCM (Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs) + supplements (CoQ10, EPA, Prenatal vitamin)
04.2012 - FSH 13.1; stop Chinese Herbs
09.2012 - Injectables/IUI (Gonal-F). First converted to IVF (more than 9 follies), then cancelled (E2 levels dropped)

03.2013 - IVF#1 Long lupron protocolStims: Bravelle (300iU) and Menopur (150iU)
30.03.2013 - ER: 8 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized
04.04.2013 - ET: d5t; transfered 1 blast (graded at 4BB); 1 frostie put on ice
13.04 2013 - Beta#1: 149!!!
14.04.2013 - Finally POAS - first ever BFP!
15.04.2013 - Beta#2: 639!!!
07.05.2013 - first U/S - 1 happy bean with a strong heartbeat of 157. Team green
24.11.2013 - healthy baby girl born breech at 36+4

10.2015 - FET#1
24.09.2015 - CD 1, start Estrace, 3x 2mg, orally
13.10.2015 - CD 20, lining check, 6.5mm, add 1 tablet, vaginally
20.10.2015 - CD 27, lining check, no difference
05.11.2015 - CD 43, sET (d6 Blast, graded 4AB, lost 30% of the cells during thawing process)
14.11.2015 - 9dp5dt, Beta#1: 130
16.11.2015 -11dp5dt, Beta#2: 397
10.12.2015 - viability U/S

#5 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thanks so much, ladies, I will definitely consult with PCRM. I felt like a number at Olive; it was disappointing.

Raspberry - did you also try UBC? I like VFC but the distance kind of worries me - do I have to take extended holidays to do IVF there for example?

CatC - keep me posted please!

#6 CatC

CatC
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

My appointment at PCRM went great. Dr. Roberts was friendly and caring. He understood my frustration with Olive and was not pushy. He actually gave me more answers to my unexplained diagnosis. He wants to do another test on me before we proceed with IVF. Looking back at Olive, I can see now that they really didn't do their best and treated me like a number. PCRM was very easy to get to and not as chaotically busy as Olive. I felt PCRM had a more peaceful environment since its in a building not a city mall. The building does have a small restaurant right when you walk in and plenty of parking. Our plan is to do IVF in July 2016 which will give us time to save up. I'm very happy I switched!
  • Jaya likes this
Me-32 DH-47 UnexplainedTTC since 2013
2015- July, August, October IUI's - th_abfn.gif

July 2016- IVF
Antagonist Protocol- 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur, .25 Cetrotide
July 5-ER- 13 Retrieved, 11 Mature, 9 Fertilized, 3 Arrested, 6 Beautiful Embryos🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
July 10- ET- transferred 1 3AA blast, 2 frozen blasts
9dp5dt- Beta 81- BFP!!!
11dp5dt- Beta 281!!!
18dp5dt- Beta 4310!!!
7wks 4day Ultrasound-Heartbeat only 92bpm
9wks 4day Ultrasound- confirmed miscarriage

March 2017
March 14- FET-transferred 1 3AA blast and 1 3BB blast
March 23- BFN😭😭😭

#7 Vangirl

Vangirl
  • 95 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM -- Cornell

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Although I did not have success @ PCRM, I had better experience there than my consult at Olive.  

Dr. Seethram is very easygoing and kind.  Dr. Roberts is very knowledgeable and direct (no beating around the bushes and realistic which I appreciate) - best of luck!

#8 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

Looking back at Olive, I can see now that they really didn't do their best and treated me like a number. PCRM was very easy to get to and not as chaotically busy as Olive. 

Feeling like a number is something I can relate to - my Dr was terrible - wonderful if he even cared.

Thanks for the heads up - and all the best in 2016!

#9 NurseAshlie

NurseAshlie
  • Global 100+
  • 276 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

After 6 years at PCRM and 2 failed ivf cycles. I recently switched to a new clinic.
Me 32 DH 35 DD 9 natural conceptionTTC June 2008. Diagnosed with bilateral hydrosIVF #1 July 201125 eggs 14 matured 8 frozen blasts in a freeze all due to severe OHSSFET #1Nov 2011 BFNLap Surgery Removed both hydrosFET #2 Oct 2013 BFNIVF#2 Dec 2013 31 eggs 25 fertilized 5 frostiesDec 17-BFN April 2014-Endometrial Biopsy. Uterus looks perfectFET #3- May 21 Transferred 2 beans 4AB, 3BA. Finally BFP Ended in MCFET #4 with endo biopsy Sept 3 BFP. Ended in MC. Ivf #3. New clinic August 2016 IVF#3. 21 eggs retrieved 19 frosties. Freeze all due to OHSS

#10 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Best of luck NurseAshlie

#11 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

I switched from Olive to PCRM and it was a good decision for me. I have nothing but good things to say about PCRM.
  • Jaya likes this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#12 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

I was pleased with my consultation too.

Do they do a bait and switch, or is your RE your actual RE through the whole procedure

#13 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

Jaya, why would you think it's a bait and switch? That's the advantage of seeing a team of physicians. They all work together as a team so their patients won't have to wait and/or depend on the availability of their individual doctors. In my experience with PCRM, it's always my RE and his nurse(s) and moa who help me. When it comes to changes in protocol, I discuss it with my RE. For monitoring and urgent issues, I saw the others. They're all very good. They each knew my case every time they saw me.
  • mouse, smurfette_w and CdnHockeyGal like this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#14 Happyface

Happyface
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Swimming,crochet and hanging out with friends
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

I heard most of all clinic you could see all the doctors that are at the clinic. This is how they are able to see more people and not have you wait so long. I go to PCRM and I have only see 2 doctors my and one other that was on call for that day. All doctors can't work every day.

• smurfette_w, CdnHockeyGal and lumnay like this

#15 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

It's about efficiency.  It is more effective for turn around time to have one doctor in the OR, another doing ultrasounds, another meeting new patients etc....I could imagine how confusing and ineffective, and never mind costly, it would be to have one doctor running back and forth between rooms to their and only their own patients.  I understand VFC only has the two doctors, so perhaps they might be a better fit for some if you prefer to see your Dr the most often.  

• smurfette_w, CdnHockeyGal, lumnay and 1 other like this

#16 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Agree that doctors shouldn't be working all day; just want to be understood though. Broken Hearted makes a good point anyways and I also think a good clinic will handover well.

• lumnay likes this

#17 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

Was at Genesis before it split to Olive and it was honestly a nightmare. Started with Dr.K as an ivf rookie and was quickly aware of the big business ivf clinics can be. Completely indifferent never followed up with test results never returned phone calls or emails. Switched to Dr. H who also really made me feel like ivf patient number 3021. Never read my file before meeting. Always had to repeat things to him and remind him of past conversations. Going in to have polyps removed with dr.t and in pre-surgery consult had wrong patient file. Figured this out when she mentioned how my syphilis was impacting my fertility. Hmmm - syphilis?that was news to me and my husband. Having never had it and telling her this she then asked if I was a patient by a name I'd never heard before. Not a big confidence builder. Switched to PCRM under primary care of Dr. Roberts. Had a rough start with ivf and dr.roberts saw me through all those lows and was able to only use him for all major procedures. He was also there for the highs as have three amazing ivf miracles from this amazingly talented doctor and will be forever grateful for his compassion, support and talent.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#18 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Completely indifferent never followed up with test results never returned phone calls or emails. Switched to Dr. H who also really made me feel like ivf patient number 3021. Never read my file before meeting. Always had to repeat things to him and remind him of past conversations. Going in to have polyps removed with dr.t and in pre-surgery consult had wrong patient file. Figured this out when she mentioned how my syphilis was impacting my fertility. Hmmm - syphilis?that was news to me and my husband. Having never had it and telling her this she then asked if I was a patient by a name I'd never heard before. Not a big confidence builder.

This screams Deja Vu to me all over! UCK.

Glad I don't feel like such an idiot when I hear other people have the same experiences.

So happy you are happy at PCRM - Dr Roberts is definitely a keeper.

#19 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

From0to3 - getting the wrong patient file is completely unacceptable, never mind needing to remind your RE of previous conversations.  Clearly did not take the time to provide you with the service you deserve.  I would have switched clinics as well if that was the kind of care I was getting there.

• CdnHockeyGal, lumnay and Jaya like this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#20 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Yes Jaya and smurfette - there were so many more examples to add to the incompetence it almost bordered on comedy. Of course at the time it wasn't funny at all. Dr T was visibly embarrassed that she had the wrong file and my poor husband almost fell off his chair when he thought I had syphilis. You don't really want to be going under with a doctor who doesn't even know your name let alone your case. I guess everyone is human but my ivf dollars were well spent elsewhere. Pcrm seems to have lost a lit of the amazing nurses who were around in 2012-2013. They also have list that small clinic family feel with the loss of the front desk lady (can't remember her name) who was a mainstay and so warm and welcoming. They expanded really quickly when olive wasn't doing ivf. Dr Roberts though is still as good as always. His disposition is not for everyone but that man has some serious talent for creating babies. My fingers are tightly crossed for both of you if you are currently seeking treatment.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#21 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

I was only in Olive briefly (2 IUI cycles) while waiting for my 1st PCRM consult. A few negative experiences I had that I couldn't forget were: the wait for an IUI was 40-45mins, the nurse, who did my 2nd procedure looked inexperienced and couldn't find my cervix; we were there for 15mins and I was bleeding afterwards; when I asked whether they do ultrasound during monitoring I was told that "it's just an IUI!" And lastly, a few times I had called them it took at least 20-24 hours to hear back. I'm sure there are MANY patients who had/have positive experience with Olive and I know of patients who had success with them. However, I don't regret switching.

PCRM doesn't really make us wait (except during the early morning first-come-first-serve monitoring). They are very professional. When I miscarried last year, Dr Roberts called me the next morning to make sure I was fine. The genetic counsellor was very supportive as well. As I type this message, I'm looking at my hpt showing a positive result.
  • CdnHockeyGal and Jaya like this

#22 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Lumnay, I had the same disappointing iui experience. The nurse who did mine was also very inexperienced and took 15 min, 2 speculum and at least 10 speculum insertions to find my cervix. It was also super painful. It was clear she wasn't properly trained. Shame on them....and shame on me for not complaining and saving other women a negative experience :(. I've since learned to stand up for myself better

Me -29 31- unexplained poor egg quality. I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 - IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSIsad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one". All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15

#23 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, I started feeling like a leper on the Olive Forum side. The "funny" thing is when I started posting, a few new posters signed up, reviewed my profile, then one or two wrote very long stories of how Olive is the "best"

Hence why I am not trusting even of Olive's testimonials from some people.

Watermelon - you make such a good point - I think as females we don't stand up for ourselves when things go wrong sometimes, and you are right - it's a disservice not only to ourselves but to other women.

I am crying as I write this, I thought I was the only one but what you guys say makes me feel like I am at Olive all over again. Shame on some of them for treating us like a number, and nothing else.

#24 LisaB

LisaB
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

I had a very similar experience with Olive.  We did two IUIs and when we went to speak to our doctor about considering moving on to IVF it felt like a high pressure sales meeting.  Numbers and percentages were changed from our first meeting and he made it sound as if IUI would never have worked for us anyway.  I sat there dumbfounded as I wondered why we had already spent over $1000.00 on IUI and testing if they felt it wouldn't work!! I felt highly pressured into genetic testing (which added a further $3,000.00 to the procedure).  At that point I decided to get a second opinion and went to PCRM.  During my initially meeting with Dr. Roberts he immediately had concerns with some of my test results and explained why.  The whole time at Olive I had been told everything was "normal".  I have had friends who had a good experience at Olive so I figured maybe it was just me...but have not regretted my decision to move to PCRM.  We are just beginning our first cycle of IVF so we'll see how it goes but have been very pleased with their attentiveness and responsiveness to date. 

Good luck.

#25 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Lisa B - did you complain? So disappointed by what some doctors do in the name of money :(

anyway, I'm just looking forward to a positive new chapter so put the old stuff behind and hope it all goes well from here. Best of luck everyone..preggo.gif