Talk w/ embryology prior to ET? Assisted hatching? - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Talk w/ embryology prior to ET? Assisted hatching?

embryos transfer FET IVF Edmonton assisted hatching

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farmwife

farmwife
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

I am cycling at the Edmonton clinic

My FET is on Saturday. At my first FET in 2013 I spoke with an embryologist at my lining u/s to discuss how man embryos we would transfer and looked at their grades and picked which ones we wanted to put back so they knew which ones they would thaw.

At this lining u/s we spoke with the nurse that told me what time my appointment was, but there was no discussion about how many or which embryos we wanted. The nurse said she would put a note on my file for someone from embryology to call me to discuss. Is this not protocol to at least ask? What if we wanted to transfer 2 and they only thawed 1?

She also said that they do assisted hatching on all embryos.... last time assisted hatching wasn't done.

thoughts? is this common protocol now for Edmonton? Do other clinics have a similar protocol?

~ Sometimes even the most dusty of dirt roads lead to the most beautiful scenery~ Journey details in 'About Me'

#2 Hoping Like Crazy

Hoping Like Crazy
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:travel, friends & family
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi Farmwife!

I've been wondering when your transfer is.

At my clinic, we discussed with the doc at our last visit about how many to transfer, and they documented that.  Essentially I don't really think there is much of a discussion in our case - he made it very clear that the safest thing to do is only transfer 1.  They would consider transferring up to 2 if the first one didn't survive the thaw well, but only in that circumstance.  We never had any discussion about which of our 4 frosties they were going to transfer - that is left up to the embryologist to pick the best one.

At our clinic now is it routine to do assisted hatching on all FET's.  Apparently there has been new evidence that shows that doing assisted hatching on frozen embryos increases success, as something about the freezing process can harden the shell and make it harder for the embryo to hatch.

In our case the embryo was already hatching so we were refunded the assisted hatching cost, which was $440.

Good luck!!

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

TTC since 2010
Me: 37 38 39 40 DH:38 39 40 41

July-Sept 2012 - 3 IUI with Clomid - BFN

IVF Cycle #1
Jan 2013  - 10 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized with ICSI
                 - transfer of two Day 3 embryos, 1 frozen blast
Jan 31/13 - BFP!!  Yahoo!!
Feb 27/13 - First ultrasound, single heartbeat slow at 96bpm, measuring 1 week behind, advised poor prognosis
Mar 2/13   - Second ultrasound, heartbeat still slow 80-90bpm, no growth
Mar 5/13   - Third ultrasound, heartbeat now 50bpm, measuring now 2 weeks behind, inevitably non-viable, misoprostol induction of miscarriage. Devastated!!!

IVF Cycle #2
Aug 24/13 - Flare protocol.  17 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized with ICSI
Aug 29/13 - Transfer of single Day 5 blast, 3 frozen blasts
Sept 5/13  - 7dp5dt  - BFP!!!
Sept 17/13- 5w3d US - gestational sac in correct place, this is a start
Sept 24/13- 6w3d US - good heartbeat at 116 bpm!
Oct 8/13    - 8w3d US - great heartbeat at 176 bpm!  Growth on track!  Is this actually going to work this time?
Oct 25/13  - 10w6d US - amazing!  Little Bub moving around and SO IN LOVE!

May 20/14 - our daughter born by CS at 40w3d, and so perfect in every way!

Nov 2015 - FET #1 - chemical pregnancy

Feb 2016 - started Suprefact for FET #2, but AF never came.  Surprise BFP!!  Awaiting US to see if this is real...

Mar 1/16 - Nope, too good to be true.  Empty gestational sac on US.  Miscarried naturally 1 week later.

Jun 2016 - FET #2 - BFN

Aug 2016 - FET #3

#3 farmwife

farmwife
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Embryology did call me the day before my transfer to discuss how many to thaw and that b/c we were just thawing one he said that they just pick the best quality one, and in the event that it didn't survive the thaw they would then pull the best quality of the remaining.

~ Sometimes even the most dusty of dirt roads lead to the most beautiful scenery~ Journey details in 'About Me'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: embryos, transfer, FET, IVF, Edmonton, assisted hatching