#1 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hi,
I'm about to do my 1st FET on Sept.4, very excited about it. What an easy cycle...no injections & the best part no egg retrieval!! Our 1st IVF ended up a BFN but we got 5 blasts out of it. I'm glad there will be less stress on my body this time around b/c I had a lot of complications after my egg retrieval last time.
I wish everyone going through IVF or FET all the best...we are all in good hands with the wonderful doctors & nurses at this clinic..

Sara

#2 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

-

#3 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi Stacy,
How was your long weekend? I'm just relaxing today before the big day tomorrow. I have no idea who is doing it. Dr. Robichaud did my last transfer. I hope you had a good time on the island. Can't wait to hear about it.

S

#4 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

-

#5 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi,
I'm heading to bed right now...wanted to let you know I'll e-mail tomorrow & let you know how it went. I think they will transfer 2..I hope at least 2 survive the thaw..

Sara

#6 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

hi Stacy,
Things went well today. When I first got there, I overheard Dr.R & Dr.Bing talking about my embryos...he thawed out 3 & only one survived. So they came out to talk to me & asked me if I wanted the other 2 thawed. I said yes of course. Out of those 2 I got 1 good one. So in the end I got my 2 viable embryos. It took probably almost 1/2 hr to do the transfer...they always have a hard time getting up to my uterus, I just found out today there's a double curve leading up to it...that causes problems getting the catheter up there.
I justed rested for an hour after & then we headed home. I always hate the urinary catheter. It hurts to pee for about 2 days afterwards. That happened my last transfer too.
Now I'm resting in bed.....

Sara

#7 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

-

#8 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hi,
It's only day 2 post transfer & I'm soooo bored. I haven't been doing much, watching t.v etc...still in my pjs..lol. I asked Lise about the dentist, she said b/c I'm in the very early stages of pregnancy to ask him what I should do. I think I may postpone the appt anyway. I think he's away this week so I can't really ask him, so I'll leave a message.
Lise wasn't in the room with me during the transfer but she said I was in there a long time. No wonder, Dr.Robichaud had difficulty getting the catheter up. I passed a couple of clots after, but lise said that can happen with the catheter irritating my cervix. Everything is good today.
How are you doing today? What's the weather like up there? It's fall out here today, the air seems so crisp...my favorite time of year.

Take care,
S

#9 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hey Sarah,

Well...the fact that you are bored means that you are doing better ! Glad to hear that ! (..not the fact that you are bored though !! Ha !) Ahh...only another 12 days to go ! (smile). Sounds like your 'double curve' wasn't pleasant at all - I'd never even heard of that before. I hope it is getting easier for you to pee - it's not like you can opt out of it !
I think I would hold off as well on the 'teeth fixing' too for just a little longer - If it's bothering you well you would need to address it, but if it doesn't seem to be a problem I would wait for just awhile. You are right though..the Dentist would know a bit better than guessing !! - It's the one topic I haven't felt the need to research ! LOL.
I am 15 weeks along today....up 6 pounds (might even be 7) but it is definately all on my abdomen....the weight that is. I think I am a whole different shape since my stint in the hospital - that's only my own conclusion though ! I am still having cramps..I suppose I should be getting used to it but it does still worry me a bit...I did have just a bit of spotting earlier today but it stopped as fast as it started. Ug..I'm trying to keep my head about it all.
...And Yes I agree ..it seems Fall is here - except that it's supposed to be a whopping 28C this Saturday ! Tell DH not to put the mower away yet !
S

#10 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi S,
How was your weekend? They go to fast don't they? I'm back to work tomorrow :( Oh well..I knew it was coming. 8 days left...I've been feeling so tired everyday..but I attribute that to the progesterone supps. I read the nice post about you..on the preg after IVF thread. Its nice to know there are so many people who are supportive out there.
I was telling a friend of mine..about you..& how nice it was to talk to someone who had been through the same thing as me & also goes to the same clinic.
Hope all is well with you...take care & we'll talk soon.

Sara

#11 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later that your 'rest period' is over !! ..'Just means you are closer to the 2WW being over ! So only 7 days to go !?! AM I right ? I hope it passes fast for you...

Yes it turned out to be a very nice weekend...we had company drop in so I was occupied here...they were amazed at how little I sleep - they went to bed long before me.....then my aunt woke up in the middle of the night and I was downstairs reading...and by the time she woke up she could smell the coffee brewing (none for me). She thought I was the strangest pregnant person ever...that all she ever did was sleep when she was preg with her two and she is sure I am creating a 'night owl' baby !!! Maybe I am but there's not much I can do about it !!!

So...How was your first day back at work ? Have you been getting any twinges/cramps ? I had them for a day or two after ET but that was it. One never knows what is a 'good sign' anyway I suppose ! Are you still feeling tired ? I know that those progesterone supplements do tend to knock some pple out...try and get a good night's sleep (AHhhhhhh that advice is Not exactly coming from an expert on the subject !! LOL)

Yes you're right..it IS good having someone to chat with who is atleast in the same hemisphere/clinic going through all this !!! I tend to be a bit of a sleuth on the subject when it comes to pple I actaully Know !! (smile).

I have an appointment this week.........then I get to wait again for results...wait wait wait. I might actaully be getting good at that part ! (ahem).

Do you have anything planned in paticular to keep you busy and get you through the week ? Well whatever you are doing I hope the week flies by fast and then get a great result at the end of it !!! Keep me posted !

#12 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hi Stacy,
It was a BFN for me. My period showed up 5 days before the beta. We are meeting with Dr.R next week to discuss what to do next. Maybe there's some tests (DNA etc..) he'll recommend before we start the next IVF. MY DH really doesn't want to do IVF again b/c of all the complications I went through after the egg retrieval. What I would really like to do is attempt IUI again...but I'll see what he says. Maybe in the end I have to accept that IVF is not guarenteed...but I want to make sure there's nothing else wrong before we give it another go.
I hope all is well with you. Any word from the amnio? I know you said it could take 3 weeks but I was hoping you might hear earlier.
For now DH & I will try naturally...I bought a ton of ovulation test strips from a medical company on-line. It also comes with 10 pregnancy tests which is great.

Take Care...

S

#13 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi Sara,
I am so sorry to hear that you had a negative result.....the crappy thing about all of this is that it is a numbers game....the stats are not in any of our favour at the start of it all.....but that sooner or later it will happen. If someone told me I had a 40% chance of winning a lottery I'd think they were great odds and I would certainly keep trying til I was successful- it's just that this isn't a game and the results can be heartbreaking. I am happy that you will be meeting with the Dr.'s to come up with your next plan of action....it always helps me to look ahead and have something to focus on so that I have a new goal. I'm sure they will be understanding and compassionate , but most importantly provide you with direction and address any concerns you may have. I know that it is just a matter of time before you get a bfp.
keep in touch. I am here if and when you need to chat.
Stacy

#14 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi...here's an update. We met with Dr.R a week ago..he wants to do another mock transfer due to the difficulty he has getting the catheter up to my uterus. He was suppose to meet with Dr.B to discuss my embryo progress at my last IVF to see if he was pleased overall....I really don't think that was the problem....but I'm not the expert. That's it for now....I really can't wait to start the next IVF..I want to get the ball rolling again ;)
Anyway hope all is well with you..
Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Sara

#15 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hi, Finally had my mock transfer yesterday & it VERY well!! no problems at all getting the catheter up to my uterus. I ask the doctor why my 'real" transfers were so difficult. He thinks my bladder might have been to full, pushing my uterus back to far? Anyway, he measured my bladder yesterday & will make sure its the same size when I go for my transfer sometime in Jan. He will just put water in or take some urine out to get it just right...LOL.
I will be starting the b/c pills pretty soon..hopefully at the beginning of Dec. I'm getting excitied to begin the IVF journey again. At least we have a game plan now. I'm crossing my fingers that this will be it for us...the one that works.

S

#16 lunacath

lunacath
  • 119 posts
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Centere

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

WE just did 4 IUI at Conceptia. We were not happy with the treatment, we felt they were too conservative. We didn't like the different drs all the time. And our needs were not listened too. In fact I just got a call the other day telling me my BETA was BFN. But, I never went in for the blood test.
I am glad others are happy there. We are considering going to Montreal Fertility for IUI with injectibles or IVF. The reason to do injectibles there is they do not have the 4 follicle limit that Conceptia has. I got pg with 5 follicles with my son. My Question is how many embies will Conceptia put back with IVF?
Good luck Sara, I hope this one works!
Catherine, ttc#2
ttc#1 from 2000-2003
Consult and treatment with Montreal Fertility Centre starting January 2003
Diagnosed Annovulatory February 2003, also used Donor sperm as I have a DW
IUI #1 & 2 clomid February & March 2003, BFN
IUI#3 Femara and Puregon, BFN
IUI#4 Femara, Puregon, and Prometruim BFP
DS born April 23, 2004

ttc#2 Since June 2007
Consult and treatment with Conceptia starting in June 2007
Diagnosed as normal fertility June 2007, says baby reset my clock
July 2007: IUI#1 natural, BFN AF came at 11dpiui
August 2007:IUI#2, with Prometruim BFN
September 2007 cycle lost because RE would not start meds without a new consult and did not see me in time for this cycle!
October & November 2007: IUI#3 & 4 100mg Clomid, low dose aspirin, and Prometruim, both BFN
Breaking until Summer 2008 going to Montreal Fertility Centre for IUI with Injectible.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hi lunacath, I'm so sorry your IUI's didn't work out. When I did the IVF they put back 2 embryos since they were 8 cell 0% fragmentation. Dr. R says if I don't have 2 good ones they will put back 3 of them. I would like to put back 3 on my next IVF regardless of quality but he may not do that b/c I'm under the age of 35.
I don't understand how you got a BFN when you never took the bloodtest. Was that a mistake?

S

#18 lunacath

lunacath
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

I get my blood work done in Saint John. And the nurse thinks they gave her last months result. Since it was our last cycle I just took a home HPT and waited for AF. I just didn't want that call. But, I got it anyway.
I had heard they usually do 2 at Conceptia. Since I am 37, I definitely would want more. My friends who got pg at Montreal Fertility doing IVF, put back 4 and got one healthy baby.
Catherine, ttc#2
ttc#1 from 2000-2003
DS born April 23, 2004

ttc#2 Since June 2007
September 2007 cycle lost because RE would not start meds without a new consult and did not see me in time for this cycle!
October & November 2007: IUI#3 & 4 100mg Clomid, low dose aspirin, and Prometruim, both BFN
Breaking until Summer 2008 going to Montreal Fertility Centre for IUI with Injectible.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hi, I'm thinking they would put 3 embryos back since your above the age of 35...but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sorry your experiences at Conceptia hasn't been the greatest for you. Good luck at the Montreal clinic....I hope it works out for you. It sounds like you really liked it there... :)

S

#20 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Hi Sara...Hi Lunacath,
I'm not sure why but I am only noticing this post now ! Sara so glad that your mock went well....I heard of another girl on the forum with a double curved uterus - before that you were the only one I even heard of who had this ! So you are not alone :-) ...I really really am glad your mock went well and that you have a game plan for the real thing; You'll have to keep me posted on your progress - I'll try to do better to keep up.

Hi Lunacath,
I am very sorry to hear about your bfn.......I really hope your next IUI works out wherever you decide to do it...Just some info on me...I decided to entirely skip the IUI step..In my own mind I wanted to put the most favorable 'stats' in my court as I felt that time was of utmost importance for me as I am 38 (soon to be 39-ouch). I could have picked anywhere in the country (as we were living in Halifax at the time) but I choose Calgary for two reasons I suppose...1. I did not know about Conceptia (would have been much closer to at least check them out - only a 2.5 hour drive from Halifax) and 2. I thought that out of all the Clinics I researched, that Calgary was going to be agressive enough for me. I too had thought it would have been 3 to transfer (considering my age) but Calgary too had reservations based on excellent embie quality and would only consider transferring 2 for the Fresh Cycle......I ended up pregnant with twins. Unfortunately I lost one (vanishing twin) and since becoming pregnant have had a bunch of normal pregnancy things going on (some which are of some concern) so with a thyroid condition and previa and early pubic bone separation I suppose it is much easier on my body with a singleton. (Not that I EVER wanted to loose a twin ,,,I still get a bit sad about it). I think that with IVF and good embie quality most clinics will only go for 2 to transfer on the fresh IVF cycle for the first time anyway...Calgary said they Would do 3 on a FET but not the fresh. So, not sure if it's any help but there's some info on another Clinic. I was very happy with Calgary too but like Conceptia (and most others I think) I did not see the same Dr. twice but they were all very good. In Calgary I saw a Dr.Foong/Dr.O'Keane/Dr.Greene and another one that I forget ,- I know this is all easy for me to say as I did get a bfp but, like I said before..I always look at the stats - this is a terrible numbers game but if the Fresh IVF cycle gives the best odds (@ roughly 40% for my age) then I thought it was the best decision for me to make.
Good luck on your decisions..goodness knows this can be high stress.

Wishing you much luck !!!
Stacy

#21 lunacath

lunacath
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Stacey, Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am so glad you found your dream. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful.

I suppose if I were new to the ttc game that Conceptia would have been great. The nurses have been very kind and helpful to me. And I love that they did blood work, as my old clinic did not do that, and I think that helps a lot with timing. But, because I went to a very small clinc for ttc#1, I couldn't help but notice the differences. The clinc I went to granted was for profit and Conceptia isn't so that could be part of it. My big problem was their philosophy of treatment for IUI, the no more that 4 follicle policy. I had 4 IUIs to get pg with my son. And the cycle I got pg on had 5 follicles. So, to be told that they would not do that was disappointing. At Montreal Fertility I got have had up to 7 follicles. I think those kind of issues need to be based on ones history and age, not a set number for all doing IUI. I also had one dr., I think Dr. Rivet tell me to cancel a cycle on CD 11 because she thought only 1 follicle would develop, the nurses encouraged me to keep coming back for monitoring and I ended up with 4 follicles. I miss the information I got in Montreal and having input into my treatment. I was constantly reminded that this is not the same clinic, that Dr. Robichaud make all decisions not me. I felt helpless. And my friend who got pg at Montreal Fertility doing IVF were aloud to put 4 back and got one beautiful daughter. With money being limited and only one try left, I feel I need to give myself the best odds.

I am not trying to discourage anyone. I am glad for the successes there. If we had more money, I am sure we would have got pregnant at Conceptia, it would have just taken longer. I feel some more IUIs or maybe a few IVFs and I would have got pregnant there. I know I can get pg, but it is difficult. Our decision to leave the clinic has to do with money. We can only find the funds for one more shot, so we have to be as aggressive as money allows.
Catherine, ttc#2
ttc#1 from 2000-2003
DS born April 23, 2004

ttc#2 Since June 2007

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

Hi Lunacath,

Thanks for the congrads..it has been an awfully long road and I am so glad I am finally here though at times it still doesn't seem real, so unreal that I have to remind myself that this is happening..maybe that's why all the aches and pains - my body is trying to remind me itself ! (smile).

You'll have to keep us posted on how you make out in Montreal - Are you planning on driving ? I hope you have some friends/family for accomodations - but if not save every reciept you can (including the car expenses). I try and compare the cost to all of this in a vacation perspective - each time we do this we scratch off another 'extra' on our list ! So when I have a full house of kids we will be able to afford a family vacation at the Super 8 in Truro for a night ! Seriously though...It's not easy wrapping your head around the financial aspect of all of this..the Fed. Govt. with it's big surplus and lack of population growth should do something for the IF people - recently the Nfld Govt. has decided to give parents 1000.00 for evey child that is born - Great - A Crib and a stroller - they need to rack their brains a little harder and come up with something a bit more productive than that ! I did send off a letter while ago but never did get a response; No doubt it fell on deaf ears/eyes !!!

I wish you well Lunacath.
Stacy

#23 lunacath

lunacath
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

Stacey, we will drive to Montreal. And our expenses would be less than a injectible cycle in Moncton. The prices are much cheaper at MFC (bigger population allows lower prices). And we used to live in Montreal until April 2006. So, we would be staying at our inlaws and a couple of nights at friends. So, we save on lodging and food. We have no friends in Moncton, so we would have needed hotel accomidations for the monitoring. Also, it will be on summer vacation, so no missed work for anyone. It will be nice to combine our annual vacation with our dream. This will be our last shot and summer seems so far away.
Catherine, ttc#2
ttc#1 from 2000-2003
DS born April 23, 2004

ttc#2 Since June 2007

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

-

#25 Sara33

Sara33
  • Cyclebase
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hey Stacy,
Things are well with me. I started the BCP last Sunday. I go up to Moncton on Dec.28 to pick up my meds/needles & for a quick teaching visit. I start the suprefact Dec.29..then the stims on Jan.10. That part I'm not looking forward too that's for sure! I'm starting the luveris the same time as the puregon so that means more needles. Anyway the ER should be Jan.21 & ET Jan.24. I'm happy things are moving along again.

How are you doing? I hope all is well!

Sara