Successful fresh cycle, then 3 failed FET's...now what? - Conceptia - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Successful fresh cycle, then 3 failed FET's...now what?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

Our first fresh cycle was successful (we transferred two blasts and had one child). Since then, almost 2.5 years ago, we have had three other blast transfers. One of them resulted in an early miscarriage, but the others were negative. I'm really not sure what to do, if we should try another fresh cycle or not not that our blasts are all gone :( I really want to have more testing done to see if there is another reason why this just isn't working. Dr. R has said it's likely a chromosomal issue since I got pregnant with the fresh cycle. Has anyone had a similar experience? Did you have immune testing done at Conceptia? I do have pretty bad endometriosis and adenomyosis but was told that if I have it in a controlled state before a cycle (meds to put me in menopause for a few months) then my chances are just as good. I feel at a loss for getting other opinions and we can't afford to go to Halifax to the cinic there. I don't want this journey to be over yet but at the same time I want a very realistic picture of success rates and more exploration if we're to go through this again... 

Thank you :) 

#2 Maria101

Maria101
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

I am in a similar situation like you. On our first ivf (fresh cycle) we concieved our boy who is 22 months now. And we have had 2 fets and they wre both negative and we are going on our last embryo this month. I really know how you feel... It's such a shitty feeling :(
My doc didn't recommended immune testing... She recommended the endo biopsy to see the receptivity of the endomitrium.
Our infertility is unexplained....so I am not sure if it makes a difference in the next steps. But I think if this embryo doesn't work... We will go for another fresh cycle...
Good luck :(((
Me 29 hubby 34
Unexplained infertility

Tried 3 cycles of clomid BFN
3 cycles of gonal f BFN
Tried total of 4 iui'S all BFN

April 2013 ivf #1 - BFP
Baby boy born January 2014

Medicated FET cycles
August 2015 - FET #1 BFN
September 2015 Fet #2 BFN

#3 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Our first fresh cycle was successful (we transferred two blasts and had one child). Since then, almost 2.5 years ago, we have had three other blast transfers. One of them resulted in an early miscarriage, but the others were negative. I'm really not sure what to do, if we should try another fresh cycle or not not that our blasts are all gone sad.png I really want to have more testing done to see if there is another reason why this just isn't working. Dr. R has said it's likely a chromosomal issue since I got pregnant with the fresh cycle. Has anyone had a similar experience? Did you have immune testing done at Conceptia? I do have pretty bad endometriosis and adenomyosis but was told that if I have it in a controlled state before a cycle (meds to put me in menopause for a few months) then my chances are just as good. I feel at a loss for getting other opinions and we can't afford to go to Halifax to the cinic there. I don't want this journey to be over yet but at the same time I want a very realistic picture of success rates and more exploration if we're to go through this again... 

Thank you smile.png

happy wishes, I'm sorry to hear your FET's did not take. My fresh cycle came back with a BFN and my FET ended with a miscarriage about 3 wks post transfer. Dr.R had recommended a hysteroscopy and the immune testing. I was not told the reasoning for this at the time. The only thing that I could think of was that I developed a rash once the pregnancy was confirmed. I am still waiting for results from the immuno testing as it takes approximately 8 -12 wks. Results should be available next week. Was additional testing recommended for you or do they believe the endometriosis/adenomyosis is playing a huge factor? I would certainly look into additional testing if it's available to you. Perhaps there is something that is hindering your experience.

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C
Aug 2012 - Ectopic pregnancy ~ 10w, laparoscopic sx, left tube removed
May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy ~ 8w, laparotomy sx, right tube removed

IVF #1 - April 2015 - 1st cycle, 5dt blastocyst 3AA 29Apr15 - BFN

FET #1 - August 2015 - Transferred one perfect 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFP, miscarried Aug 26th

Hysteroscopy - Sept 2015 - NSF. Additional B/W requested (8-12wk wait for results - UGH!)
Results complete. Consultation complete - Lovenox introduced into new protocol.

FET #2 - Jan 2016 - 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFN

FET #3 - May 2016 - Transferred 4BB and 3BA embies. - BFN

FET #4 - December 15th, 2016 - last frostie (4AA 5d blastocyst) - BFP

December 31st, 2016 - Miscarriage 

IVF #2 - May 2017, Antagonist Protocol

BCP started May 20th / Estimated CD1 ~ June 22nd / Retrieval July 4th

#4 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:47 AM

I strongly suggest PGS/CCS testing of your embryos, just to rule out chromosomal issues.  If you were successful the first time, it's less likely that you have an immune issue (though you could have recently developed it).  However, depending on your age, it's more likely a chromosomal issue if you were successful the first time and then unsuccessful after.

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#5 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for your comments. 

Maria101- I really hope your final FET is successful! This process is so hard!

MGC- I`m so sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you can get some answers soon for the tests you are waiting on. Were these tests done at a specific time during your cycle? I can`t get in to see Dr. R until January. There are such long wait times for appts. My last FET was in October. I`m hoping he will now allow me to do immune testing or any other tests to see if there is something else going on. He was very confident that my endometriosis and adenomyosis did not impact the first two failed FET`s (one being a mc) and that they were likely chromosome issues but we haven`t spoken since the failed one in October. I had asked before if we could do more testing but he said no. If he won`t order more tests I doubt we will continue. It`s too much money if we can`t get more answers. 

Smurfette- My clinic doesn't do PGS/CCS testing- I wish they did.  I was 30 when the blasts were frozen. We were told they looked top quality but I guess you really can't tell. Thanks for your comment. 

#6 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

I also had fresh cycle with ICSI in October. They Transferred our only 2 "perfect" in quality embryos ( See signature for more details)  We got -beta. Have a follow up appointment with Dr R in December but when talking to nurses their opinion is they really shocked and don't know what went wrong. Hoping I get some answers at the follow up other than try again. We really wish they offer embryo testing as well. We drained our savings to do first round. Will have to take our more loans to do additional. Wish Canada would wake up and fund Infertility treatment as it is a disease like any others!

Me: 29 ( no children) DH: 36 ( 2 children, aged 10 and 12)

DX: Male Factor

Clinic: Conceptia

March 2014: Vasectomy reversal

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

January 2015: Referral to Conceptia

April 1 2015: Consultation at Conceptia.

TX: IVF with ICSI

April 7-9 2015: Initial blood work for  DH and remaining blood work for myself.
April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

April 28, 15: SA for DH at Conceptia.

April 30, 15: Call from Oncologist office. False Positive for PPT. Thank God!

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

June 15, 15: Re-test insulin levels to determine if we can start cycle.

July 28,15: Mock Transfer

Sept/Oct,15: IVF #1

Aug 22,15: Started BCP

Sept 18, 15: Teaching appointment at clinic

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 15,15: DH TESA

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 18,15: 4 mature eggs ICSI. Only 2 fertilized.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

Nov 3, 15: BFN Beta -1 :(

#7 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:17 PM

Happy Wishes - Thank you. As for the additional testing, there was no specific time during my cycle. I feel 100% confident they are trying to rule out an autoimmune issue. All of our results were posted last week after a 10 week waiting period only to find out that we can't get a consult with Dr R until January. Fortunately, I asked to be added to the waiting list for cancellation and I go to see him Thursday. Fingers crossed and hoping we can easily move forward with another FET.

Do you have problems with repeat miscarriages?

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

FET #1 - August 2015 - Transferred one perfect 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFP, miscarried Aug 26th

Hysteroscopy - Sept 2015 - NSF. Additional B/W requested (8-12wk wait for results - UGH!)

#8 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:18 PM

Patiently Waiting, sorry to hear about your negative beta. Had you asked to be put on a cancellation list to try and get your consultation earlier?

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

#9 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

Patiently Waiting, sorry to hear about your negative beta. Had you asked to be put on a cancellation list to try and get your consultation earlier?

HI,

I Got into see Dr R last week. Drove 3 hours one way  in snow storm for not many answers... He also said our  failed  IVF was probably due to chromosome issues. As we had a day 3 transfer  it was too early for any egg or sperm quality issues to begin to show.  That Would have happended after they were transferred ( day 4 or day 5). He suggested we try again. Which we would like to IF they could give us hope that they would be more proactive to retrieve from left ovary IF it rises again. He said to assume same outcome with left ovary las last cycle  and that retrieveing from abdomen was very unlikely unless it is in perfect placement and  even if they can do it, the sucess of reteieving eggs that way is lower. Also asked if he would up my meds to produce more eggs incase we cant get left but he said NO  as there is higher chance of OHSS if left cant be retrieved.  We  also asked about additional testing to rule out any egg/ sperm quality issues. He did not want to do any as he was confident it wasnt egg or sperm quality.  He did suggest some more vitamins ( CoQ10, Melatonin, Myo-Linstinol and Fertil Pro for my DH). Other than that... they will re-run our intial bloodwork as it will be a year since we had original done before we cycle again and that was it. So we really dont know what to do. Thinking of maybe getting a second opinon at AART. To see if they may be more proactive about getting that left ovary. Only starting with 4 eggs greatly decreases our chances right from the start.  So disappointed. We dont know what to do. :(

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

#10 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

I managed to get in last week for an appt as there was a cancellation. Dr. R said he was surprised that out of the 5 blasts there was just one pregnancy since 30% of blasts are typically abnormal. He did say though that since I had one child then had a miscarriage that is a good sign but he's unsure why I'm not staying pregnant. He said there's too many factors. I asked for more tests to be done and he agreed so I'm getting a scope of my uterus and the immuno testing which will be done in January. This process is so draining emotionally. I'm so tired of the gaps in waiting in the unknown. BUT I am glad they agreed to more and it'll help us decide better if we want to continue or not. I started the repeat ivf bloodwork this week but I can't remember how long it takes to get those results in. 

MGC- I hope your test results gave you some clarity and you had a good appt. !

Patiently Waiting- I'm sorry you still have so many unknowns. Are there any other things they can do to lower the ovary if it rises again? I wish AART was closer or there was another clinic in NB for second opinions. I'm personally frustrated by the constant "chromosome issue" response. I don't understand why more tests can't be done for embryo quality (not sure if I'm describing that right) especially if they look normal. I hope you can get some direction soon for what to do! 

• RebeccaG likes this

#11 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

I managed to get in last week for an appt as there was a cancellation. Dr. R said he was surprised that out of the 5 blasts there was just one pregnancy since 30% of blasts are typically abnormal. He did say though that since I had one child then had a miscarriage that is a good sign but he's unsure why I'm not staying pregnant. He said there's too many factors. I asked for more tests to be done and he agreed so I'm getting a scope of my uterus and the immuno testing which will be done in January. This process is so draining emotionally. I'm so tired of the gaps in waiting in the unknown. BUT I am glad they agreed to more and it'll help us decide better if we want to continue or not. I started the repeat ivf bloodwork this week but I can't remember how long it takes to get those results in. 

Patiently Waiting- I'm sorry you still have so many unknowns. Are there any other things they can do to lower the ovary if it rises again? I wish AART was closer or there was another clinic in NB for second opinions. I'm personally frustrated by the constant "chromosome issue" response. I don't understand why more tests can't be done for embryo quality (not sure if I'm describing that right) especially if they look normal. I hope you can get some direction soon for what to do! 

Hi HW,

Glad you were able to get in on a cancellation. Initial bloood work takes around 5 weeks to come back. (If they are running all the same tests again).  I have to redo mine as well so I asked when i was in for my follow up. Im Happy he is doing additonal testing. AART does offer PGS testing on embryos. But it was not a option for us as we probably wont have enough embryos to ever make it day 5 and freeze for testing anyways. But may be something you could look into.  I am looking into other clinics who may be more proactive about helping IF/WHEN the left ovary rises again.  I called AART last week to ask if they do abdonimal retrieveal, they do it in emergency situations but did not say if high ovary is deemed emergency. They want us to come for consult with our chart from IVF cycle at conceptia to disucss it further. They were booking  appointments for January/Feb then. The receptionist was really great and helpful though. So dont hesitate to call and ask questions if you want to.

Sept 23,15 Injections

#12 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

HW, glad you were able to get in for a consult form a cancellation as well. I had the scope and immuno testing done. Unfortunately, it takes approximately 8-10wks before you get the results back. You will have the General bloodwork back well before that time. Hopefully you will be able to consult right away after everything returns. I was originally schedule two months out after my test results returned but I was fortunate enough to get in due to a cancellation as well. I am now taking BCP and scheduled for a transfer in January (instead of April!) Good luck with your scope and tests. Fingers crossed all is well and you can move forward in a timely fashion :)

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

#13 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

How are you ladies all doing?

I'm anxiously waiting for the test results to come in. I asked about setting up an appt with Dr R around the time they are supposed to come in and was told no. I'm afraid we will miss our window of time if we do cycle again because I can only do this during the summer (because of work).

#14 RebeccaG

RebeccaG
  • Global 100+
  • 346 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

A

Sep 15, 2016 First IVF 1 embryo - 2 frozen

Sep 30, 2016 - Positive HCG preganancy test

Oct 5, 2016 -  HCG dropped embryo will not last

Oct 19, 2016 - Request to see endocrinologist

Oct 24, 2016 - Beginning Hashimoto Thyroiditis diet 

Nov 30, 2016 - Blood test to determine if diet helped

Nov 2016 - RE visit

Dec 5, 2016 - RESULTS Hashimotos Diet - for the first time in 10 years I need to lower my Thyroid medicine!!  The diet is working!

Jan 4, 2017 - Meeting with Conceptia - getting ready for FET.  Apparently we have 3 embryos left 2 - 4BB and 1 - 5BB.  Preparing to put one in (hopefully in March) waiting on thyroid testing.

Jan 31, 2017 Started BC - FET scheduled for March 14 

March 14, 2017 - FET!! put in a 5bb
March 24, 2017 - blood work for pregnancy test

March 24, 2017 - BFN

March 27, 2017 - Bloodwork - genetic testing for me and Josh

April 19, 2017 Blood test results show nothing

April 25, 2017 - Starting my Hashimoto diet again

May 15, 2017 - 2 Polyps removed sent for biopsy and lining biopsy

June 30, 2017 - Biopsy indicates uterus inflammation - will treat for next FET

September 8, 2017 - FET FINAL 2 EMBRYOS

Additional IM Progesterone this round

Sep 20, 2017  - Beta test - 940 th_abfp.gif

2 embryos implanted, 1 developed into a fetus (heart is full)

DUE DATE: MAY 26, 2018 preggo.gif  

Jan 6, 2018 - babyboy.gif  It's a boy

#15 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

Rebecca that sounds horribly frustrating!!! Have you decided how to proceed since your last post?

I am super frustrated today with them as well. I'd asked to make an appt for around this time incase Dr. R needed to talk to me about my test results and was told no it wasn't necessary...and guess what...got a call that he needs to speak with me about my results and I can't get in to see him for over a month! Not impressed. I'd like lot's of time to hear what's going on and decide what our next plan of action is. I've done multiple cycles and now that they finally did more tests and something has been found I'd like to know in a timely manner!

#16 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

happy wishes - were you able to get in earlier to discuss the results or are you still waiting? Something similar happened to me after my M/C from FET#1 but I was able to get on a cancellation list and I was in within a week of the results being posted. I remember crying after they told me it was going to be another month of waiting, seeing that I had waiting 10 wks for this extra testing to even come back in the first place. I was just tired of waiting but things worked out in my favor in the end.

RebeccaG - Sorry to hear of your negative experience. I cannot say much in terms of negativity towards them. We essentially didn't have much of a choice when it came down to what we needed to do to achieve our main goal. Hope things are working out better for you now and your experience is turning into a positive one.

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

#17 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm still waiting 😣. I asked to go on a cancellation list but haven't gotten a call. The waiting is pure torture especially knowing something came up in the results 😕

#18 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Happy wishes, that's truly the worst. I'm hoping you get your call soon enough to get some answers.

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C