• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

Very possible, depends on your area cas on wait times/ matches available. Foster to adopt is a great option as well, if cas in your area offers it.

#27 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:TV, movies, books, puzzles and video games
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

@Alex, if you want to try both private and public, then you need to do the PRIDE training and the Home Study privately, so I would say the first thing would be to find a social worker you are comfortable with and have that first appointment towards the home study. She/He would also guide you through the process and what the next steps should be.

@PerfectlyImperfect, no tips so far as I'm in the middle of the home study, also adopting for CAS. This morning I was reading in a group about all these people waiting for 3 years at their CAS, even open to older kids, so I am a bit down, but trying to keep my hopes up that each family is different and each CAS is different.

TTC since 2012 (plus 2 years around 2008/2010). I'm 37 years old, husband is 28. 

Karma: Unexplained. 3 Failed IUIs with injectables in 2014. IVF #1: 5 day embryo transferred, 1 frozen. BFN. FET #1: 1 6 day embryo 2AB. BFN

One Fertility: DOR. AMH of 5.8 (Canadian). IVF #2: 2 eggs fertilized (ICSI), transferred 2 day 3 embryos. BFN

Adoption with CAS: Adopted a baby boy! Home since November 6th, 2016, adoption finalized June 26th, 2017.

#28 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai fertility Clinic

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Alex I can tell you 100% as a white couple you can adopt in Nunavut -one of my friend in Halifax (white couple) have a beautiful 4 month old baby from there. They got yo take him home at like 5 days old. ..they found out about the pregnancy in late July and sept they were holding him. She has already said she will take a sibling if it happens or adopt agsin from there...
  • littlecornfield likes this

#29 CarCar1979

CarCar1979
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Toronto

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

We adopted privately here in Ontario in 2013. 

We also had a failed private adoption in June 2015. It was heartbreaking for everyone involved, not to mention really expensive (we never ended up even meeting the baby we were supposed to adopt). 

#30 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai fertility Clinic

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Aww sorry to hear that CarCar. This is what would just kill me ....I hope your healing from that heartbreak.

#31 CarCar1979

CarCar1979
  • 6 posts
  • My Clinic:Toronto

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

We're OK. I still think about that boy (8 months later) and what our family might be like today if he had joined us. 

Hoping 2016 is a good year for all of us!

#32 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

All the best CarCar!

If anyone is interested, I got this morning the next dates for the Openness and Foster to Adopt seminars from Waterloo CAS.

TTC since 2012 (plus 2 years around 2008/2010). I'm 37 years old, husband is 28. 

Karma: Unexplained. 3 Failed IUIs with injectables in 2014. IVF #1: 5 day embryo transferred, 1 frozen. BFN. FET #1: 1 6 day embryo 2AB. BFN

One Fertility: DOR. AMH of 5.8 (Canadian). IVF #2: 2 eggs fertilized (ICSI), transferred 2 day 3 embryos. BFN

Adoption with CAS: Adopted a baby boy! Home since November 6th, 2016, adoption finalized June 26th, 2017.

#33 fawnrain

fawnrain
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Art, animals, horror films
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Interesting thread. I will be adopting through CAS also. i have an infant relative i have custody of already. They mentioned the pride course as well as the home study. but i found an adoption website that said relative adoptions are the only ones that do not require you to take these courses. yet they said i would have to take them? anyone heard of this?

peace

-------------------------------------------------

-Be the change you want to see.

#34 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

In our pride class the kinship placements required pride and I would assume a homestudy.

#35 fawnrain

fawnrain
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

you mean placements as in custody or adoption?

#36 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

I would guess both, if a resource(foster) parent has to have a homestudy and pride, I think that would carry over to anyone caring or adopting a child involved with cas. I am not sure if the kin placements were adoptions, I would assume placements . We had to do a homestudy and pride with foster to adopt. I would hope that both would be completed with a child in care of cas.

#37 fawnrain

fawnrain
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

well, no, i have had her for 10 months now, all i did was a criminal check and a house safety and a couple of interviews. everyone in the house had to have a criminal check.no pride or home study. and i will get permanent custody of her without those courses too. but i was told to ADOPT i would need them. but on the adoption council of ontario website, it said kinship does not have to do these courses to adopt. that is what i am confused about.

she is kinship out of care. they said if i take those courses, she would turn into kinship in care. i dont think i want that. i want her out of the system all togeather.

#38 GraceM

GraceM
  • Cyclebase
  • 1438 posts
  • My Clinic:undetermined

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Why not call an adoption attorney/licensee. Cheryl Appell in Toronto has a good reputation.
  • fawnrain likes this

#39 Lesley1225

Lesley1225
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:New Life

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

Wondering if anyone is trying to adopt or had any experience with Guelph Family and Children's Services? We are just starting with them and going to information night next week.

#40 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Foster to Adopt. I know that if we get a child on the foster to adopt program, we can take parental leave as soon as the foster placement is done (or at least that is what I'm understanding). IF the child returns to their birth family, can we take parental leave again as soon as we get another match? And does the original parental leave ends as soon as the child is taken away?

#41 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

I used to work at Service Canada enforcing these programs.

Parental leave is for the care of a child. If the child returns to the birth family then you are not longer caring for the child and the parental leave would end as of the day the child in no longer in your care. You will have to report this to Service Canada, which can be done in person or by phone.

Parental leave is granted for adoptions based on each adoption process. So if you adopt two children together (siblings) you get one parental leave.  If you adopt two children at different times you get two parental leaves PROVIDING you have accumulated the required hours between the adoptions. (400-700 hours)  

Does this help?

idream

• Aiglee likes this

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#42 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

I was given 10% chance that the judge would make the judgement for the bio parents in a foster to adopt situation, the social workers feel that the child will most likely become a crown ward and the resource parents will go onto adoption probation. I went on parental leave the day the children moved in, you have to keep in mind the child/children will have visits with the bio parents until the child becomes a crown ward. The amount of visits per week depends on alot of factors. From start to finish it took us 1 yr and 7 months for the adoption to be complete doing the foster to adopt option with cas. I only wished the parental leave was a yr, great bonding time.

#43 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

Thank you iDream, it does help a lot! I didn't know about the 400-700 hours. Good to know!

Thanks for sharing your experience Lesley :) We did know about the visits (for us it would be once a week) and I do know it can take a long time to become the official adoptive parents. We are still unsure because the pain of giving her back would be too much, but I do see the point of bonding from the beginning so we just have to decide if it's worth it. 

I agree with parental leave being 1 year. I am soooo crossing my fingers that it happens, but not holding my breath. 

#44 Kadima

Kadima
  • 84 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

A few months back, I looked into fostering and adopting through CAS Ottawa and found that actively pursuing infertility treatments (IVF, IUI, etc..) would disqualify you from the process. Did any of you dabble in treatment and adoption?

TTC since January 2014, first appointment at OFC September 2014-->PCOS, leuteal phase defect, morphology 2.5%

6 cycles of Clomid, successful on the 6th try May 2015

Fetal anomalies lead to a termination at 22 weeks October 2015

January 2016 IUI #1 unsuccessful

March 2016 IUI #2 Chemical

May 2016 IUI #3 Chemical

(All IUIs were with Gonal F 50 IU and Ovidrel)

Started estrogen priming protocol for IVF number #1 (funded cycle!)

ER on October 12th, 29 follicles, 26 mature, 24 fertilized with ICSI

Freeze all cycle due to high risk of OHSS. 4 5-day embryos frozen.

Was planning for a medicated FET in January 2017 but somehow miraculously conceived naturally!

First u/s Dec 6th, measuring right on track 6w2d

#45 Melissa Celeste

Melissa Celeste
  • 7 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

I dont know if this thread is still alive, but i thought i would join...

My DH and I have been TTC for 4 years. We've done 3 rounds of IVF, 2 rounds completely unsuccessful, we have had two miscarriage in the last 4 months, and have 1 frozen embryo left. I am, quite done at this point with IVF. WE are both healthy and have no real problems.. unexplained infertility. We really thought IVF would be our miracle and its really hard wrapping our head around the fact that is just isn't working. So we are now looking into adoption. We both want newborn, but my DH is more open to a young child as well. We are open to both private and non private adoption and international!

Everything I've read so far is really depressing... is it really that hard to adopt a baby in Ontario? How do you start with the process with CAS?

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

#46 SecondAct

SecondAct
  • 58 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Private

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

I would call your local CAS. We were told if we just wanted to adopt a newborn it was a waste of time but foster adopt of an older infant or toddler was possible based on our background. Call the intake worker to discuss but I would not count on a newborn through CAS.

#47 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our beautiful daughter, walking our dogs, reading, scrapbooking, travel and horse back riding :)
  • My Clinic:Children's Bridge

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

We went private both times and we had 2 beautiful newborn daughters (one is 2012 and one is 2016). We got lucky, some people wait a long time. It went fairly quick for us the first time, second time was longer and we had a failed match in there too which really really sucked! 

Me: 29
DH: 30
8 years TTC
3 rounds of IUI and nothing

May 2011 Started our adoption paperwork
Dec. 2011- Officially matched to adopt domestically biggrin.png
Jan. 19th 2012- Beautiful baby Brooklyn was born! Love at first sight biggrin.png

Sept. 2013- Back on the list to adopt domestically!!! (waiting patiently, haha, or not!)

Aug. 3rd 2016- Our darling little Inuk baby Bristol was born Emoticons01015.gif

#48 StretchyPants

StretchyPants
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

Have you considered embryo adoption? If you want a newborn, that's probably your best bet and shortest wait time. Public adoption of newborns can be upwards of 7 years waiting.

#49 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

@Melissa, sorry you have had a hard time with IVF. I think we can all understand.

Regarding adoption with CAS, it can depend on where you live too. Waterloo CAS has an infant consent program. Works the same as private in that birth mom/dad chose the family from a book but you have CAS's support and you don't have to pay. We got a newborn with them and know of 3 other couples that did too (all last year). It's a matter of luck though, same as private, you don't know how a birth mom will chose. All 4 of us (couples) had to wait less than a year, but we do know we are the exception to the rule, I'm sure there are lots of other couples that have been waiting for a long time in our same CAS.

I know we are not the common case, but I also want to make sure people know that it's not impossible. All I read before I tried was how long or hard it would be with CAS, and my experience has been completely opposite, fast and awesome workers. So I just want that experience to also count :) 

Look into what your limits are for acceptance (including financially), and go from there on how you chose which road to take. The better your range of acceptance (we were open to siblings and up to 4 years old) the better chance for an adoption match to happen sooner.