- - - - -

Advice on switching to Lifequest

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Reading, DIY Projects (that I often mess up), teaching, exercise, tea with friends, eating yummy food.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility (2012); TRIO (2016)

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

I'm looking for some advice or input from past/current Lifequest patients on your experiences there.  I am considering switching to Lifequest for a FET because my embryos are already frozen there (my clinic used their lab in 2013 when I went through IVF but have since moved) and Lifequest is significantly cheaper for a FET than my current clinic.  I was just trying to get a general impression of how satisfied patients of Lifequest are with the care from the Doctors/Nurses and the general set up and functioning of the clinic.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

IUI#1 - April 2011 - Clomid, Ovidrel, and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#2 - July 2011 - Letrozol, Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#3 - October 2011 - Gonal F (75iu), Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN

IVF - July 2012 - Gonal F, Luveris, Cetrotide, Ovidrel, Prometrium and Estrace
13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 2 day 5 blasts transferred, 4 frozen BFP!
Feb. 2013 - Daughter born via emergency c-section at 30 weeks due to PPROM.  She's a healthy little one now!

FET #1 - Aug. 2016.  Short Protocol.  Transferred one perfect 6AA fully hatched blastocyst - BFN!
FET #2 - June 2017. Long Protocol.  BFP - No heartbeat and growth 3+wks behind at 9 wks 4 days.  D & C

FET #3 - October 2017. Long Protocol.  BFP!  

#2 neverendingstory

neverendingstory
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ex: Lifequest current: Dr. Auyeung

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:38 AM

I was at Lifequest for 3 years. I wasn't a fan (at all) but I know a lot of people who have gone there and been fine/happy with it. You can see an account of some of my experiences here:  http://ivf.ca/forums...nthony-auyeung/

I came home last week to a letter from Lifequest stating that it has merged with TCART, which i think is extremely disappointing news. My experiences at TCART via Dr. Auyeung were uniformly pleasant, whereas my experiences at Lifequest were the opposite. TCART was extremely organized with lovely smiling staff, and Lifequest was an administrative nightmare with staff who made you feel like you were inconveniencing them with your infertility. Also, it's disappointing that people downtown now have fewer options. I saw someone on these forums once refer to Lifequest as Costco, and that is the aptest description I have heard. 

Happy to discuss further if you want to PM me. 

#3 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Reading, DIY Projects (that I often mess up), teaching, exercise, tea with friends, eating yummy food.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thank you Neverendingstory for your honesty and sharing your experience.  I do like Costco... but not when it comes to making a baby!!!  I've heard lots of great things about TCART.... hopefully you're still happy with them after the merger.  I might PM you soon to discuss further... we're waiting to move into a new home but once that's settled I think we'll be ready to move forward with an FET so I have to figure this out somewhat soon.  Thanks again for your response.

Feb. 2013 - Daughter born via emergency c-section at 30 weeks due to PPROM.  She's a healthy little one now!

FET #1 - Aug. 2016.  Short Protocol.  Transferred one perfect 6AA fully hatched blastocyst - BFN!
FET #2 - June 2017. Long Protocol.  BFP - No heartbeat and growth 3+wks behind at 9 wks 4 days.  D & C

#4 neverendingstory

neverendingstory
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

Since FET is a fairly straightforward process, it's probably fine at Lifequest. If you had to do another round of IVF I would go elsewhere. Again, feel free to PM me with any questions!

#5 JaneK

JaneK
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Lifequest

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have been with LifeQuest since 2013. My doctor is doctor Cadesky. I got pregnant from my first IVF cycle. I found the clinic quite good. They have convenient time for bloodwork and other tests. In 2013, I was very impressed with the accessibility of the stuff and how they communicate all the details of the process. They gave very clear instructions on what happens next. My baby boy was born in 2014, strong and healthy.

In 2016, I started my second cycle, with the embryo frozed from 2013. I noticed that communication has gotten worse - there were several cases when the nurses failed to convey information. For example, my thyroid medication ran out, and it turned out they didn't request any renewals. I had to go to a walk in clinic to renew it. They also forgot to mention I need to talk daily aspirin and prenatal vitamins. None of it is a big deal, it's just a difference to the worse from before.

But overall, the service was still good. The nurses are knowledgeable, and Dr.Cadesky is very professional. I had my transfer today. We'll see how it goes.

• Renae likes this

#6 Renae

Renae
  • Global 100+
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:My interests are swimming daily, horseback riding and reading. Going to the cottage.
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Toronto

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

JaneK Did u get pregnant I got pregnant with my 18 month old son on my first FET through IVF Canada but i want to switch clinics to give him a sibling. IL be doing a OHIP funded cycle. Can u please give me some info if u liked LIfe Quest. 

#7 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Neverendingstory and JaneK.  JaneK - I hope that your transfer went well and you got some good news!  Thanks for the advice on doctor - I sent in my referral form and they just asked today if I had a particular doctor I'd like to see.  Great to hear the positives about him - I will mention his name.  

#8 JaneK

JaneK
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the transfer didn't result in pregnancy. 

I'm now enrolled for OHIP-covered cycle with LifeQuest. I enrolled in March and they could only put me in the list for Jan-Mar 2017. I'm considering having another cycle this summer, paid from my own pocket. With OHIP-covered cycle, you're only allowed to transfer 1 embryo. I prefer to transfer 2, as it increases the chances of pregnancy.

They also have new procedures compared to what they had in 2013.

1) ERA - Endomentrin Receptivity Array. Costs about 1k+ CAD. It turns out there are genes that are supposed to kick in on 17th-19th day of the cycle to make implantation possible. For some women the kick in later or earlier, which means that the tranfer may not be happening on the correct day! ERA is the way to find out whether you implantation window is where doctor expects it to be, or it is misplaced.  The procedure requires a mock cycle, then results are sent to Spain, which takes another 2-3 weeks. This has to happen before starting the actual IVF cycle. The result is good for a year.

2) Embryoscope: when the eggs are retrieved, they are fertilized and put in a dish for 5 days ( for my case). Before, the nurses were checking on them once in a while to see how they grow. It was necessary, but it could affect the growth. Now, in the embryoscope, the embryos are filmed. Nurses get all the info without disturbing eggs. Increases chances for pregnancy by 5-7%. Costs about 1K CAD. It's an optional procedure. 

The cycle is also much shorter. Last time the preparations for me started in May before I started taking hormones in August. This time, the whole thing is supposed to take about 5 weeks.

Hope it helps.

#9 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

JaneK:

I'm sorry to hear that the transfer wasn't a success.  Those new tests/filming the embryos sound pretty interesting though.  I wonder what the success rates are like for the ERA - sounds worthwhile. I feel like the "embryoscope" makes complete sense!  I'm surprised that it's "new".  It seems logical that they would just have a microscope in there so look at the embryos so they don't have to move and disturb them!  

That's good that your next cycle will be shorter!  It's such a drain emotionally and physically.

All the best as you move forward and thank you for all of your information.

#10 Renae

Renae
  • Global 100+
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:My interests are swimming daily, horseback riding and reading. Going to the cottage.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the transfer didn't result in pregnancy. 

I'm now enrolled for OHIP-covered cycle with LifeQuest. I enrolled in March and they could only put me in the list for Jan-Mar 2017. I'm considering having another cycle this summer, paid from my own pocket. With OHIP-covered cycle, you're only allowed to transfer 1 embryo. I prefer to transfer 2, as it increases the chances of pregnancy.

They also have new procedures compared to what they had in 2013.

1) ERA - Endomentrin Receptivity Array. Costs about 1k+ CAD. It turns out there are genes that are supposed to kick in on 17th-19th day of the cycle to make implantation possible. For some women the kick in later or earlier, which means that the tranfer may not be happening on the correct day! ERA is the way to find out whether you implantation window is where doctor expects it to be, or it is misplaced.  The procedure requires a mock cycle, then results are sent to Spain, which takes another 2-3 weeks. This has to happen before starting the actual IVF cycle. The result is good for a year.

2) Embryoscope: when the eggs are retrieved, they are fertilized and put in a dish for 5 days ( for my case). Before, the nurses were checking on them once in a while to see how they grow. It was necessary, but it could affect the growth. Now, in the embryoscope, the embryos are filmed. Nurses get all the info without disturbing eggs. Increases chances for pregnancy by 5-7%. Costs about 1K CAD. It's an optional procedure. 

The cycle is also much shorter. Last time the preparations for me started in May before I started taking hormones in August. This time, the whole thing is supposed to take about 5 weeks.

Hope it helps.

Your allowed to transfer 2 under the funded cycle if your over 38. Its up to your doctor. If your under 38 and have had 3 failed SETs u can also transfer 2  Here is the info 

SET Policy for all Funded IVF Services Age* Maximum Number of Embryo(s) Permitted per Embryo Transfer (applies to both fresh and frozen embryos) Up to Age 35 1 embryo per transfer, regardless of the embryo’s development stage. Ages 36 & 37 1 embryo per transfer, if at blastocyst stage of embryo development; or 2 embryos per transfer, if at day 3 of embryo development. Ages 38+ 2 embryos per transfer, regardless of the embryo’s development stage. Exception: After 3 failed transfers using 1 embryo per transfer, may proceed to 2 embryos per transfer. * Age does not refer to the age of the Primary IVF Patient at the time the Embryo Transfer is performed, but instead refers to the age of the Primary IVF Patient (or Secondary IVF Patient or egg donor) at the time the Oocyte Retrieval was performed.

#11 Renae

Renae
  • Global 100+
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

SET Policy for all Funded IVF Services Age* Maximum Number of Embryo(s) Permitted per Embryo Transfer (applies to both fresh and frozen embryos) Up to Age 35 1 embryo per transfer, regardless of the embryo’s development stage. Ages 36 & 37 1 embryo per transfer, if at blastocyst stage of embryo development; or 2 embryos per transfer, if at day 3 of embryo development. Ages 38+ 2 embryos per transfer, regardless of the embryo’s development stage. Exception: After 3 failed transfers using 1 embryo per transfer, may proceed to 2 embryos per transfer. * Age does not refer to the age of the Primary IVF Patient at the time the Embryo Transfer is performed, but instead refers to the age of the Primary IVF Patient (or Secondary IVF Patient or egg donor) at the time the Oocyte Retrieval was performed.

#12 JaneK

JaneK
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hello ladies, 

I'm currently going through my OHIP-sponsored IVF cycle. 

I've had a fresh cycle back in Jan, but it was unsuccessful. 

I've now used my second and last embryo in the FET cycle. I don't know the results yet, my pregnancy test is on April 24th.

I have a question, however.

Do you know where I can submit my feedback on the OHIP-covered cycle to the government on officials?

I find the attitude of my clinic increasingly uncomfortable. They are giving conflicting instructions, they omit important information, they forget to schedule appointments. They also seem to tamper with the doses of medications they sell (it may say 10 ml on a package, but in fact it's only 8 ml).

I find such attitude unacceptable and I want to file a complaint to the government. The clinic is using public money for this. They should be accountable.

If you don't know the answer to my question, could you point me to someone who may?

#13 JaneK

JaneK
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hello again,

To follow up on my previous question. I managed to resolve the dispute with the clinic itself. They reimbursed money for the medicine that didn't come in full amount.

Also, I'm currently 17 week pregnant with a daughter after my frozen transfer. 

#14 neverendingstory

neverendingstory
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Congratulations JaneK! I hope it is a very boring pregnancy and delivery for you.  I ended up back at Lifequest for my frozen transfer this month because my embryos were previously stored at TCART. I wasn't happy to be back, but they seemed to be a bit better than before. I'm glad you were able to sort out your issues with them. I find what you described unacceptable for a medical facility. In addition to refunded you, i hope they apologized profusely for the poor service on your file. They are too big, which leads them to be extremely disorganized. Glad to hear all worked out for you in the end! 

#15 JaneK

JaneK
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Thank you neverendingstory!

My daughter was born last month, healthy and well. My family is now complete.

So, the total count of my procedures with Lifequest: 4 procedures, 2 babies.

IVF in 2013, fresh transfer resulted in pregnancy and birth, frozen transfer in 2016, unsuccessful.

IVF in 2017, fresh transfer unsuccessful, frozen transfer resulted in pregnancy and birth. 

Overall, LifeQuest seems to be good on the technical side. It's the administrative side that can be lacking. For administrative hiccups I can only recommend to report all problems that a patient encountered,. This will get the staff better. However, doing due diligence takes up resources, which can be hard during this journey. Still, good luck to all! 

#16 neverendingstory

neverendingstory
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

Thank you neverendingstory!

My daughter was born last month, healthy and well. My family is now complete.

So, the total count of my procedures with Lifequest: 4 procedures, 2 babies.

IVF in 2013, fresh transfer resulted in pregnancy and birth, frozen transfer in 2016, unsuccessful.

IVF in 2017, fresh transfer unsuccessful, frozen transfer resulted in pregnancy and birth. 

Overall, LifeQuest seems to be good on the technical side. It's the administrative side that can be lacking. For administrative hiccups I can only recommend to report all problems that a patient encountered,. This will get the staff better. However, doing due diligence takes up resources, which can be hard during this journey. Still, good luck to all! 

Congratulations, JaneK! I'm glad your fertility story had a happy ending.