1st IVF failed. . . How do I make it work next time??? - Introductions - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

1st IVF failed. . . How do I make it work next time???

IVF pcos male factor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deborahwhite

Deborahwhite
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

I am 31 and just recently went through my first ICSI, IVF cyle. We Did a Frozen embryo transfer and were unsucessful. Originally, we were at the point of IVF because of male factors (low morphology).

However, the doctor says our IVF cycle failed because of the quality of the eggs. We ended up with two 'C' quality embryos, which I found out have only a 20% success rate only (vs. 60% with 'A' quality embryos)

I want to try another round of IVF, but I want to do something To ensure good quality embryos.

Has anyone had a cycle fail due to poor quality eggs and had sucess in round two? Your suggestions, comments or feedback are much appreciated.

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hi Deborah - I'm sorry your cycle didn't work out and that you're dealing with some challenges with next steps. Different women respond to different protocols, so it could be in a conversation with your RE they will have some suggestions. There are many supplements you can take to assist with egg quality but eggs usually develop over a 3 month window...so it will take time before they have an effect. Sometimes unfortunately you just get a bad month and for whatever reason egg quality just isn't there. Finally...egg quality can be impacted by your age, AMH & FSH. When you have your follow up meeting with your RE he/she will be able to hopefully give you some insight. :-)
  • nervus optimist and Deborahwhite like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 openskyclearwaters

openskyclearwaters
  • Global 100+
  • 168 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hi Deborah,

In regards to supplements, I would suggest going to see a naturopath that specializes in fertility. They can optimize a regiment for you. I found mine invaluable in this whole process.
Accupuncture has been said to help with egg quality as well, but then other studies contradicted that. Just another option.

Good luck.
  • Deborahwhite likes this
Naturopath - has me on: B-Complex w/methylfolate, Pre-Natal, Cal:Mag, Omega, Vit D, Ubiquinol, NAC. Doctor - has me on Synthroid to lower thyroid TSH below 2.5 (reducing chance of miscarriage).- Found a great TCMD and doing acupuncture every week.
Sept - FET 1 5db, getting before and after acupuncture in the clinic.
Beta1: 577 🍼💝🍼 (4 weeks pregnant).
Beta2: 1003
Beta3: 3568
Ultrsnd1: baby has a strong heartbeat. (0.6 cm)
Ultrsnd 2: still growing (1.2 cm)
Ultrsnd 3: (2.6 cm).... Have a blood sack in my uterus which can result in a miscarriage. Have to take things really easy the next while.
Ultrsnd 4: (3.5 cm): blood sack disappeared in 1 week. Yay!!
Ultrsnd 5: (5cm): NT- baby moving around and kicking his/her legs. Waved and showed all their fingers.

#4 ndo_inwaiting

ndo_inwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 196 posts
  • My Clinic:Prev RFP now VFC:)

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

Hi Deborah,

Sorry to hear about your failed cycle. I agree with others that seeing a naturopath and doing acouncture could help. In addition to that, the main supplements to ask about in the three month prep period would be DHEA (usually 75mg a day split in three doses) and coq10 (ubiquinol form at least 300mg). It would be important to talk with your RE about your ovarian reserve measures (FSH and possibly AMH and your antral follicle count) to give you an idea of what to expect. That said, DHEA has been shown to be a great help for women with high FSH/low AMH. I agree as well that a new protocol could make a big difference- especially one that does not supress you too much. I had better quality eggs on antagonist protocol vs standard long Lupron but also did the supplements mentioned above. I so hope things work out for you better next cycle.
Currently 41, DH 46 - severe male factor, advanced maternal age, immune issues, uterine issues with TTC#2 following c section and miscarriage

TTC #1- 3 failed fresh cycles age 35-36 (one cancelled) and one successful FET at 37 (DS:)

TTC #2 - 2 fresh cycles at 39 and 40- one miscarriage and one failed (uterine infection after)
-3 failed FETs (2 with complication of uterine fluid but went away after progesterone)
-2 cancelled FETs (one due to uterine inflammation/infection after miscarriage and one due to uterine fluid)
-2 great quality frozen embryos left - one day 3 (at 39) and 1 day 6 blast (at 40) waiting for FET - have figured out the protocol to avoid complications and just hoping for my golden egg

It's so hard to wait around for something that may never be, but harder to let go when it's all you've ever wanted"

#5 ndo_inwaiting

ndo_inwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 196 posts
  • My Clinic:Prev RFP now VFC:)

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

Just wanted to add in Canada you need prescription for DHEA but not coq10 (the latter is a vitamin).
Currently 41, DH 46 - severe male factor, advanced maternal age, immune issues, uterine issues with TTC#2 following c section and miscarriage

TTC #1- 3 failed fresh cycles age 35-36 (one cancelled) and one successful FET at 37 (DS:)

TTC #2 - 2 fresh cycles at 39 and 40- one miscarriage and one failed (uterine infection after)
-3 failed FETs (2 with complication of uterine fluid but went away after progesterone)
-2 cancelled FETs (one due to uterine inflammation/infection after miscarriage and one due to uterine fluid)
-2 great quality frozen embryos left - one day 3 (at 39) and 1 day 6 blast (at 40) waiting for FET - have figured out the protocol to avoid complications and just hoping for my golden egg

It's so hard to wait around for something that may never be, but harder to let go when it's all you've ever wanted"

#6 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

hi deborah, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your first cycle did not work out. I have to admit - your post's title made me smile.... that is the million dollar question! I wish we knew. So many of us are in the same boat. Talk with your doctor about different protocols, and vitamins as the others have said. I know for many people they want to cycle again right away, but some of these things take time. My personal philosophy is that I would rather take more time to get my body in the best place possible. I once had an FET cycle cancelled just days before transfer, and the doctor and nurse were so apologetic, and I said 'it's totally fine - my embryo is still safely frozen and will be waiting for me when my body is ready'. following month we had a great transfer without a hitch.

wishing you lots of luck in your preparations and in your upcoming cycle.

:flowers:

• CdnHockeyGal and Deborahwhite like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#7 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi Deborah

Sorry to hear about your first failed ivf cycle.  It is extremely frustrating because we all go into ivf so hopeful and sure that it's going to be our answer to fulfilling our dreams, but very often it's not and leads to even more questions.  I have been through 2 ivf cycles (different protocols), retrieving a total of 61 eggs and have only 1 blast.  That said, I am an extremely rare case, particularly when I've already had two kids (3 pregnancies) conceived naturally first month we tried.  At this point my doctor has two theories, poor egg quality or the injections (and high estrogen levels) are toxic to my eggs.  I am currently doing weekly acupuncture and taking a whole slew of supplements for the next three months when we will do a "natural" ivf (minimal fertility drugs, 2-3 eggs retrieved) in January. Check with your RE and see if he/she has any recommendations about supplements and/or check with an acupuncturist/naturopath like previously mentioned.  These are what I'm taking:  600mg CoQ10, 2000IU Vit D, 2000mg royal jelly, 1000mg omega 3, and 4g myo-inositol.  I was previously taking 3mg melatonin as well but it interfered with ovulation so I stopped it.  I've got my husband on a concoction of zinc, vit B12, selenium and vit E.  Please check with a medical professional and their recommendations before starting any supplements.  You may also want to ask about a natural/mini-ivf also.  Good luck!

#8 Deborahwhite

Deborahwhite
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hi ladies. I just wanted to say thank you all very much for taking the time to send a message. It is very much appreciated. I have a follow up appointment booked with the Fertility clinic in a couple weeks. Your comments give me some great ideas to research and look into, so I can go to this meeting prepared with educated questions.

Thank you for your time. It means a lot to me.
  • CdnHockeyGal, openskyclearwaters and littlecornfield like this

#9 hopefulmommy2

hopefulmommy2
  • 45 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

Read the book "It Starts with the Egg" by Rebecca Fett.  I just finished it and wish I had read it months ago.  It delves into all the issues with egg quality, supplements that help.hurt, toxins to avoid in your home, etc.  I found it very helpful.

Good luck to you!

• Deborahwhite and littlecornfield like this

#10 littlecornfield

littlecornfield
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:My dog and chickens, hiking and biking, travelling
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

Hello,
I'm so sorry to hear. I also just experienced a failed IVF cycle (also my first).
Are you going to try for a second round?
34 yrs old DH 31
Ttc naturally for 1.5 yrs
Surgery for Uterine Septum and Endometriosis

2 failed IUI's September & November 2016

IVF #1 funded cycle January 2016 - zero eggs fertilzed :(

IVF # 2 long/agonist protocol May 2016
1 embryo transferred June 5th - none to freeze

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, pcos, male factor