8 replies to this topic

#1 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Ok Ladies,

Let's talk egg retrieval at Conceptia with conscious sedation.. How was it??  Painless? Painful? Details please.

Thanks,

PW

Me: 29 ( no children) DH: 36 ( 2 children, aged 10 and 12)

DX: Male Factor

Clinic: Conceptia

March 2014: Vasectomy reversal

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

January 2015: Referral to Conceptia

April 1 2015: Consultation at Conceptia.

TX: IVF with ICSI

April 7-9 2015: Initial blood work for  DH and remaining blood work for myself.
April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

April 28, 15: SA for DH at Conceptia.

April 30, 15: Call from Oncologist office. False Positive for PPT. Thank God!

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

June 15, 15: Re-test insulin levels to determine if we can start cycle.

July 28,15: Mock Transfer

Sept/Oct,15: IVF #1

Aug 22,15: Started BCP

Sept 18, 15: Teaching appointment at clinic

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 15,15: DH TESA

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 18,15: 4 mature eggs ICSI. Only 2 fertilized.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

Nov 3, 15: BFN Beta -1 :(

#2 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

I'm not going to lie and say it's a pleasant experience but it's not that bad. Everyone does it and survives 😉 If you feel pain just ask for more medication, the nurse is right by your head to help you out.
  • kristeen033 likes this

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

DX WAS - unexplained infertility after DSA = male factor (95% sperm antibodies)

Received referral to Conceptia on April 16/14

1st appointment at Conceptia was May 28/14, recommended IVF/icsi

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

Oct 17 ER - 11 eggs 10 mature 8 fertilized

Oct 22 ET - 1 4BB & 1 3BB blast

1 Frostie

Nov 3 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET#1

Jan 9/15 - Baseline good to go ET tentatively scheduled for Jan 29

Cancelled - estradiol not cooperating

IVF#2

Started BCP February 4, Superfact March 3 and Puregon/Pregnyl March 15th

March 26 ER - 9 eggs 6 fertilized

March 31 ET - 1 3AA blast

2 Frosties

April 13 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET #2 - August 2015 - Chemical pregnancy

Last FET Fall 2016

#3 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being excruciating... how would you rate it?  I often think I over dramatize what it actually is like which doesn't help my nerves haha.  Was your DH able to come in for ER? Clinic makes it sound so easy peasy... no big deal procedure.

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

#4 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

I would say it was a 6-7, it really is worse in your head than it really is, one thing to keep in mind is that it's really fast, like less than 10 min. It's really not bad. Yes hubby was allowed in with you.
  • Patiently Waiting likes this

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#5 kookacola

kookacola
  • Global 100+
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:4x4ing, camping, music, reading romance books, swinning, spending time with my husband and daughter
  • Dx:Other

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

At the clinic I WENT TO THEY DIDN'T LET DH GO IN WITH YOU, AS FOR PAIN, I found it less painful than a pap smear for me. 

married since 1996. '98 went to first ob and given clomid and written off at the door. '99 went to second ob and he did a lap and said if we weren't pg in 6 months referral to RFP. '00 went to RFP and re said she couldn't explain why we couldn't get pg but didn't investigate ether. '03 natural bfp and had m/c at 12 weeks. '04 went to another ob who was an re. he did iui, testing. '05 iui with letrazole-bfn. '06 iui and clomid and cancelled cycle and went in for surgery. Lap and hysteroscopy. did iui and injections and bfn. Referred to RFP again because re got us as far as he could and re said I had high fsh, lh and pof and pcos and endo, also suggested egg donation. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have dd. went to RFP and were told ivf was not a good idea because I respond poorly to meds. ok, let's move onto d/e. Couldn't do d/e until we had a failed cycle under out belts with my eggs. '07 did ivf with my eggs, retrived 3 and 1 made it to transfer- chemical. So moved onto d/e. '09 went back to RFP again for the orientation and consult for d/e and cycled in April '09- 13 eggs retrieved and 4 made it to day 3. Two transferred and bgp with dd. Dd born on 01/01/10!!!! Were crown the New Years Baby!!!! '14 came back for consult and did fet in Nov which was a bfn sad.png we're out of embies and options. Meet re/ob in '15 to discuss options. Considering adoption.

#6 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

Thanks Ladies, I am one of those people that need to know prior to prepare myself mentally. I really wish they put me to sleep but they don't do that anymore. I like that we had a mock because it gives you opportunity to experience it know what to expect before the big day.. Oct 16th is the big day! Will be here before we know it  :) :)

Sept 23,15 Injections

#7 WpgGirl

WpgGirl
  • 75 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:HeartLand

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

I'm at a different clinic but the procedure and conscious sedation sounds about the same. I was like you and was a total nervous wreck just allowing myself to over think it. I've NEVER had surgery before except for getting my wisdom teeth out about 20 years ago (also conscious sedation). 

The clinic I went to gave me an Ativan just as the IV was being hooked up. Whoa. Game changer. I was cooool. Never had anything like that before either. I also had a great nurse who kept reassuring me that if I was feeling any pain at all just let her know and should would instantly release more fentanyl into the IV. I may have indicated twice that I was feeling pain (to be honest, I wasn't sure what I was feeling)… maybe twinges or pressure. The nurse did her thing and at my clinic is is a VERY quick procedure. Maybe 10 minutes of actual retrieval (more if you have lots of eggs, of course). Before I knew it, it was done and I was back in my comfy chair in the recovery room. I don't remember much after that. Obviously my husband drove me home but it's all a blur and I slept for a good part of the afternoon. I had some light cramping in the afternoon/evening but had Tylenol as recommended and my heating pad and just waited it out. The next day I was feeling great and even got in a 25KM leisurely bike ride. 

Anyhow - all this to say, I get how your head goes into overload. Just breath. It'll be over before you know it.

#8 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

What WPGGirl described is exactly the same as our clinic @patientlywaiting 😊 I agree Ativan is awesome 😉 we get it for transfer too. Good luck! October will be here before you know it.
  • Patiently Waiting and WpgGirl like this

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#9 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Thanks so much ladies!! My anxiety is lowering with each comment :) Defiantly will ask for the Ativan. 

• WpgGirl likes this

Sept 23,15 Injections