#1 TonyaP

TonyaP
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Hi All,

My husband and I have our initial appointment in October.  I am so nervous! I'm afraid that they will dump a ton of information on us and I would love some insight on what to expect!?  I am hoping to read as much as I can before we go and not freak myself out too much.

#2 openskyclearwaters

openskyclearwaters
  • Global 100+
  • 168 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi Tonya,

Usually the information comes in stages.... First they get a lot of info from you and do a lot of tests. Once they have all of that, they make an action plan for you and you start down some type of a path. That is the stage when you need to make a bunch of decisions and do some research.

Some pointers:
1) get a notebook for This process and start writing all the questions that pop in your mind so you can ask the doctor during your appt.
2) during the appointment have your partner or yourself take notes. You will forget a lot afterwards.
3) use the same notebook throughout.
4) Don't feel obligated to just see the one clinic. After being dicked around with a few clinics, I made an appointment with 3 diff doctors at the top clinics near me and interviewed the doctors to make sure it was a good fit. For me, the doctor I chose was the clear winner after that one appointment. The nice thing was that the appointments were all within a 2 week time period so I got a good sense of each doctor and what action plan was for me.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Naturopath - has me on: B-Complex w/methylfolate, Pre-Natal, Cal:Mag, Omega, Vit D, Ubiquinol, NAC. Doctor - has me on Synthroid to lower thyroid TSH below 2.5 (reducing chance of miscarriage).- Found a great TCMD and doing acupuncture every week.
Sept - FET 1 5db, getting before and after acupuncture in the clinic.
Beta1: 577 🍼💝🍼 (4 weeks pregnant).
Beta2: 1003
Beta3: 3568
Ultrsnd1: baby has a strong heartbeat. (0.6 cm)
Ultrsnd 2: still growing (1.2 cm)
Ultrsnd 3: (2.6 cm).... Have a blood sack in my uterus which can result in a miscarriage. Have to take things really easy the next while.
Ultrsnd 4: (3.5 cm): blood sack disappeared in 1 week. Yay!!
Ultrsnd 5: (5cm): NT- baby moving around and kicking his/her legs. Waved and showed all their fingers.

#3 Andy81

Andy81
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi Tonya,

I had my initial appoint in June at Conceptia. When we went for the first appointment we filled out some information sheets and met with a nurse who went over them with us and asked any clarifying questions. Then we met with Dr. Robichaud who answered any questions we had and then outlined how he thought we should proceed. In our case, he suggested IVF right away. Then we met with a different nurse who gave us a folder of information and initial instructions of what to do before the next steps - blood work, Pap test, semen analysis, etc. All of these tests take about 5 weeks. If all is well they will schedule additional bloodwork during your next cycle and then a mock exam. I just had my mock a few weeks ago so I am just waiting for another cycle to begin so I can start medication. At that point they set up a teaching visit to explain how the next steps will go.

I feel they are really good with giving you only the information you need at that time so as not to overwhelm you. They are also great with communication and answering any questions you have. The other poster's suggestion about writing everything down is a good one. I am also keeping s timeline record of what has gone on.

Best of luck! Feel free to pass on any questions :)
  • openskyclearwaters likes this

#4 RaRoss

RaRoss
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi guys!

My husband and I have been TTC since July 2011. We FINALLY got a referral to Conceptia on March 22nd and I was wondering how long it takes to hear back from them? Also what should I expect during the first appointment? My family doctor just ordered all the cycle blood work again (Day 3, Day 8, Day 21) so it will be up to date when we do go.. I'm just really tired of all this, and hoping we get some answers from the doctors at Conceptia. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

#5 Andy81

Andy81
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Hi there,

My advice would be to give them a call. I know that when I started I waited for weeks, thinking they would call me back. Eventually I called them and they said the best thing is to call. I had an appointment scheduled for 6 weeks after that. Best of luck! Our first IVF cycle worked and we are expecting a baby boy in 6 weeks or so :)

• MGC and RaRoss like this