11 replies to this topic

#1 Kingston_girl

Kingston_girl
  • Global 100+
  • 113 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

I had my med pick up/appointment with the nurse a few weeks ago and she informed me that they are trialing not doing blood work with monitoring and monitoring only with ultrasound. I was too shocked to ask many questions, but now I am a little concerned about this. I had no idea that this was the case when I payed for my cycle. This kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth (I think with the amount we pay, they can jab us a few times!!). Anyone else have any feelings about this? It makes me less confident in my care at OFC...

• hazypeanut likes this

Me 34, DH 39, TTC #1 since Summer 2013

Dx: Unexplained, with DOR and MFI (4.5% Morph)

IUI#1 Nov 2014 - (75 Menopur) 3 Follies - BFN

IUI#2 Dec. 2014 - (75 Menopur)1 Follie  - BFN

IUI #3 Mar. 2015 - (150 Menopur) 3 Follies - BFN

IUI #4 Apr. 2015 - (150 Menopur) 1 follie- BFN

IVF #1 Aug/Sept 2015 (and only?! crsd.gif ) Antagonist protocol

BCP Aug.10-23 2015

CD#1 Aug.26 2015 - Gonal F 150, Luveris 75 to start, start Cetrotide Aug.31 (CD1) - meds up to 250Gonal F due to poor reponse.

ER Sept.8 - 8 retrieved, 7 fertilized

ET Sept. 13 - 2 blasts transfered on Day 5 - 0 frosties

Beta Sept.25 - 445.9 th_abfp.gif 

U/S Oct. 13th - measuring perfect for 7weeks HR 124

#2 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

I hope they are going to refund you the amount of money that you would have paid for blood work monitoring? But I think bw is covered by ohip? not sure, I could be wrong. Are they doing they doing this for all cycles now?

1997 July.. DD born, from a previous relationship. Born on her due date.

2006 Oct, Married my best friend.
2007 Oct, Journey to conception starts( although in the 8 yrs we have been together we have never used BC)
2007 July 14th Hubby leaves for Afghanistan for 2 months.
2007 Oct, hubby leaves again for Afghanistan
2008 Jan 1st, Hubby returns
2008 Jan, blocked tube on left and removal of baseball sized cyst on rt ovary
2008 April started on clomid for 6 months
Referred to Dr. Ried in Kingston, more tests show no tube blockage. But does show stage 4 endo.
IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN
3rd cycle cancelled due to not responding to meds very well.
Referred to Dr. Min at the OFC

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Baseline ultrasound revealed 16 follicles, and FSH of 7! previous day 3 had shown 9 and high estrogen levels.
June 29th 2010 Education session, done...hurry up day one!
Aug 10th Called in Day #1
Aug 15th-sept 4th Start BCP
Aug 25th started suprefact
Sept 10 bw
Sept 11 Started puregon 350 u
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 18th second us and bw.. a bunch of small follicles.. and 4 measurable ones cycle maybe cancelled.
Sept 19th 3rd ultrasound ... 18 follicles and 8! good sized follicles. Cycle is back on..and 2 surprise follicles on the right!!!
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
Sept 22 bw and us.. ready for trigger tonight! 8 good follies, one at 20 the rest following suit.
Sept 24 ER..7 follicles harvested, 6 eggs retrieved.
Sept 25 call from lab, 4 eggs Mature, 3 eggs fertilized. Can't believe we have made it this far!
We are in love with our embryos!! GROW EMBIES GROW!!!!!!
Sept 27 Transfered 2 sweet little embryos.. one 7 cell the other an 8, on day 3. Sadly none to freeze
Oct 12 is BETA day!! im PUPO until then! Still waiting on blood results..
Couldnt take it any more and POAS..
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Nov 26th First OB appt. Couldnt find heartbeat, still early? 86.5 kg.
Dec 2nd bought doppler heard heartbeat and fell in love again.
Dec 16th ultrasound.
Dec 22nd 2nd OB appt. Heard heartbeat, such music :)88.5 kg.
Jan 21st 3rd OB appt. 89.2 kg
Feb 9th anatomy scan and sex of baby!!!
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Feb 23 OB appt.. 91.1 kg Placenta completely covering cervix.
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..
Apr 12 U/S to check placenta and cervix.
May 3rd OB talked about having C section no later than 37 weeks if placenta in same position.. oh my! thats 3 weeks!
May 6th U/S to check placenta..tech says its the same as they have been telling the doc all along..i assume its still covering.. will find out wed at OB appt.
Scheduled C section May 24th, 2011

Baby girl Madeleine was born weighing 4 lbs 11 oz.

IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING ANOTHER FRESH CYCLE....YAY!!

Second fresh IVF failed. :(

#3 Ckat

Ckat
  • Global 100+
  • 163 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

I had my med pick up/appointment with the nurse a few weeks ago and she informed me that they are trialing not doing blood work with monitoring and monitoring only with ultrasound. I was too shocked to ask many questions, but now I am a little concerned about this. I had no idea that this was the case when I payed for my cycle. This kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth (I think with the amount we pay, they can jab us a few times!!). Anyone else have any feelings about this? It makes me less confident in my care at OFC...

Did they say this was a trial?  This is crazy as you need to have your estrogen levels checked etc while you go through IVF.

• gibasgirl, Heregoesnothing and CdnHockeyGal like this

#4 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

I too would be really unhappy about this. OHIP doesn't cover blood work for IVF and we all pay a ton of money for our cycles. None of us should be part of a trial unless we've been informed and consented to it IN ADVANCE.

As well, if you are part of a 'trial' that may save the clinic some money in the future if the trial is successful, I feel you should get a discount for participating.

I am sorry you have to deal with this, but I would insist on blood work.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#5 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

So important to monitor estrogen.... But one of the clinics I was with did not as well... Having a high AMH, not monitoring resulted in back to back failures. My only 2 successful fresh cycles were when blood work was monitored. It resulted in them giving me a half dose hcg trigger. I will never know if it's what made the difference or if it's just a coincidence but I would certainly be bringing up...

I think the idea being that 1 follicle = x amount of estrogen.... M

Speak up!

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#6 Kingston_girl

Kingston_girl
  • Global 100+
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi - yes the wording was that this is a "trial" the nurse said that they "realized that they did not need the bloodwork" and only need to monitor by U/S and that everyone is "happy" that they do not need to be poked more. I think she was probably used to people putting up a fight and trying to frame it positively. There money saving with the blood work is certainly not being passed on to the patient - as I am paying just as much as I would have if they were still doing B/W. I am kinda pissed. I think I will have to bring it up when I go for my first monitoring appointment - but with how emotional this all is the last thing I feel like doing is engaging in a fight.

Me 34, DH 39, TTC #1 since Summer 2013

Dx: Unexplained, with DOR and MFI (4.5% Morph)

IUI#1 Nov 2014 - (75 Menopur) 3 Follies - BFN

IUI#2 Dec. 2014 - (75 Menopur)1 Follie  - BFN

IUI #3 Mar. 2015 - (150 Menopur) 3 Follies - BFN

IUI #4 Apr. 2015 - (150 Menopur) 1 follie- BFN

IVF #1 Aug/Sept 2015 (and only?! crsd.gif ) Antagonist protocol

BCP Aug.10-23 2015

CD#1 Aug.26 2015 - Gonal F 150, Luveris 75 to start, start Cetrotide Aug.31 (CD1) - meds up to 250Gonal F due to poor reponse.

ER Sept.8 - 8 retrieved, 7 fertilized

ET Sept. 13 - 2 blasts transfered on Day 5 - 0 frosties

Beta Sept.25 - 445.9 th_abfp.gif 

U/S Oct. 13th - measuring perfect for 7weeks HR 124

#7 countingdown

countingdown
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

I wouldn't do that for IVF but for IUI, I think it's ok.  I cycled at McGill and they also only monitor with ultrasound; no blood work and have had good success with it.

#8 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

I'm almost certain that the bloodwork portion of IVF IS indeed (or was?) funded by OHIP. It's an interesting question. It would be an interesting one to ask the clinic - because if OHIP does fund, maybe there are changes around what criteria they fund etc. (Known level challenges etc.)

I know with us, we got converted to a freeze all from our first fresh, at OFC, which actually worked BETTER than their fresh rates. It was because of really elevated hormones and the chance of OHSS. They may have seen that by US too (almost 30 follicles) and had a criteria for it - but it was the hormones that confirmed it.

Best of luck and if you receive answers post them on the forum for other users if you can! Thanks.

See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#9 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

I was told (at another clinic), that OHIP only covers the Day 3 bloodwork/ultrasound for IVF cycles.  After that, OHIP doesn't cover bloodwork for IVF cycles but they do cover the bloodwork/ultrasounds for IUI cycles.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#10 Ckat

Ckat
  • Global 100+
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

I just started a new IVF cycle. Day 5 today and had an ultrasound only. I asked the nurse why I wasn't getting blood work like I did in my last IVF and she said they don't do it at this stage anymore, they find the ultrasound to be reliable enough.

#11 Robyn2015

Robyn2015
  • Global 100+
  • 133 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

According to articles online, the government stripped out funding support for IUI and some existing supports for IVF - I wonder if this is why they are halting bloodwork, because it is no longer covered by OHIP for the purposes of infertility treatment? It seems a bit ridiculous of the government to do this, but they did indicate stripping out current structures when they replace it with the 'new' system of funding for IVF.

Me: 36, DH: 39

TTC for many years: PCOS, 1 blocked tube

1st Trimester Miscarriages: 2 (June and November 2009 - conceived on own without intervention)

DS: Born March 2016

TTC#2: Referall back to fertility clinic - start with IUIs and then, if covered and if needed, on to IVF

zfE6m5.png

#12 Wen1218

Wen1218
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:OFC in 2016 / MFC in 2017 / none now

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Hello,

I'm just wondering what kind of blood work monitoring the OFC is doing for funded IVF now. Some ladies have mentioned that the OFC wasn't doing much blood work monitoring in 2015. Is it still the same for 2016? I am about to start my cycle in November. Any information on this is much appreciated. Thank you!  flow.gif