Acupuncturist unavailable the day of transfer - Ask The Acupuncturist - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Acupuncturist unavailable the day of transfer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curlylox

Curlylox
  • Global 100+
  • 186 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Heartland switched to VFC

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

I have been seeing an acupuncturist since March in preparation for my current IVF cycle. My transfer is this Saturday. Unfortunately my acupuncturist is unavailable on the day of transfer. we have set up an appointment for the day before transfer but I am a little dissapointed that she could not be available for transfer day. Do you think an appointment the day before is sufficient?

Me 38 DH 41( husband has 2 adult children 21 & 19 from a previous relationship)

Ttc since Dec 2012

Feb 2014 DH dx azoospermia consult to Heartland

May 2014 plan is for ivf after initial tests etc

June 2014 bloodwork normal for me HSG shows possible unicornuate uterus!!!

U/S and MRI for me

Oct 2014 results from scans inconclusive.... laparoscopy January 2015

still waiting for U/S for DH...results to follow January 2015

So frustrated with this whole process... can we run into anymore roadblocks?

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

I think most TCMs would agree that's less than ideal.  :(  I'm local in the Peg and would be happy to pass on the name of my clinic if you like?  They go above & beyond to be available for day of transfer.  Best of luck to you!

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Acubalance

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

I am sorry your acupuncturist cannot make it.  I know how important  this day is for you.  I know from my own experience that it can be challenging for a sole practitioner to be available 7 days a week all year.   I am part of a team of 6 Acubalance practitioners and we too have to scramble when one or two of us are on holidays  to cover both our busy clinic and IVF transfers on site at Olive.

The research is immediately before and after transfer on site for IVF transfers when using the paulus protocol with acupuncture needles or laser.

Not having  research using acupuncture the day before IVF transfer does not mean that it would not be helpful.  Just means we do not have published research done by main stream.   Acupuncture also has a lasting effect too.  And there are more than enough people walking around sharing their success using acupuncture without the research.

So if you have a choice between onsite or day before I would choose onsite.   But If you have the choice day before or no acupuncture then I would choose the day before.   Your acupuncturists may not need to stick to the paulus protocol since it is the day before.

I would like to share the following with you to help  feel more confident about your transfer.

The weeks and months leading up to your transfer are the most impactful.  If you had to choose between 12 weekly treatments leading up to IVF or just transfer day I would recommend the preconception acupuncture.  Both are better but if you have been eating well, taking herbs and receiving 1-2 weekly acupuncture while making positive lifestyle changes the past few months then you have taken the most important steps and no worries about moving your IVF acupuncture transfer from the day of to the day before.

Summary

• I would recommend acupuncture the day before if I was not able to have it the day of.
  • But I still prefer IVF the day of onsite.
  • pre conception care over months trumps the two acupuncture treatments on transfer day
  • and if I was offering it the day before I would be comfortable using my knowledge and experience choosing a treatment other than the paulus protocol since it is the day before and not the day of.

I hope this helps.  And if you have been doing the preconception care since March then the day before seems more than sufficient.

Wishing you the best of luck

Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube....h?v=pvzgDkoxuEs

• CdnHockeyGal and Springle like this
Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Hypnotherapist
Founder and Clinical Director Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#4 Faith2017

Faith2017
  • Global 100+
  • 178 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Fertility Solutions

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

What about post transfer? I had a 5day transfer today (Wednesday) and don't plan on getting acupuncture until this Tuesday. I have been going twice a week for three months leading up to collection and transfer. Having acupuncture the day after transfer makes me a little nervous since I can feel my stomach/uterus throbbing. Am I making the right decision?

th_abfp.gif  th_agl.gif  8388.gif flow.gif  sailing_smilie.gif crsd.gificon_stickyvibespink.gif

Me-44 DH-43

IVF#1 BFN (summer 2016)

IVF#2 BFP but ended with no heartbeat (Fall 2016)

IVF#3 BFN (Winter 2017)

IVF#4 BFP (Spring 2017)