• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CN73

CN73
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

Had our follow up with the RE after two failed transfers.  RE thinks its still 100% sperm quality issues and that we should try again (surprise, surprise).

I have never been pregnant and I am starting to believe I never will be.  RE doesn't suggest additional testing (endo biopsy/immune therapy/etc) and thinks it would only be more of a financial burden on us.

Anyone been in a similar situation, or currently going through it?  I'd love to hear what you decided on/ your outcomes.  My timeline is below.

DH 32yrs - Severe Male Factor

SA #1 - 1.4M, 25% morph, 35% motility

SA #2 - 2.4M, 24% morph, 38% motility (added FertiAid & Maca Root - cut down smoking)

ME 31yrs - Nothing to date & I've had almost every test under the sun! 

High ovarian reserve, RE wants to go 'easy' to avoid OHSS

IVF #1 March 2015

Gonal, Orgalutron, Luveris

ER: 10 Eggs - All mature & all fertilised with ICSI

Day3: All 10 going strong; 8-10cell category - Embryologists "air high fives" us on the phone :)

Day5: 3 Blasts; 1 - 5AA Spectacular Blast transferred

2 - 4AC Frozen

BFN

*Follow up with RE who's disappointed only 3 of the 10 made it considering Day3 they were so strong;  RE thinks this is due to sperm quality issues

FET June 2015

Natural Cycle

2 - 4AC thaw beautifully; both transferred

BFN

#2 JennyAnne

JennyAnne
  • Global 100+
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

I did 3 fresh ivf cycles, 1 frozen before getting pregnant. I have a 4yo son now. My husband's sperm count was .7 mil. I know he had poor motility too but don't remember specifics. They never found anything wrong with me. When we finally got pg it was with frozen embies from our first cycle. Our first cycle had a lot of embies, but horrible quality. They froze 8 right away, kept out 10. The 10 were so awful that the dr suggested we do another fresh cycle vs wasting time with the crappy frozen ones. Those crappy frozen ones eventually gave us, our son. My point I guess is that you never know where that perfect embryo will be. All the other cycles failed. I do also wonder if my body responded better to less meds with the fet. It's a hard decision to make, when to throw in the towel. Before doing my fet we were gonna try another fresh cycle. I was considering quitting after the last fresh cycle and frozen embies were gone. We decided to use the frozen first bc it was coming up on a year and we didn't want to pay for storage again. I do think having a plan, a cut off point etc is a good idea, otherwise our whole lives could be spent in this infertility world bc nothing is guaranteed. But when the cutoff is, is a personal decision between you, your husband, finances, and what your heart can take. For me, the cutoff was gonna be 5 cycles. But we had success at 4. Have you considered donor sperm at all? We discussed it, but hubby hated that plan. Good luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

TTC for 2+ years
Male factor infertility
IVF/ICSI - 11/2009 BFN (Froze 6)
IVF/ICSI - 02/2010 Chemical pg
IVF/ICSI - 05/2010 BFN
FET - 08/25/2010 transferred 3 embies
1st Beta - 09/08/2010 288.7
2nd Beta - 09/10/2010 941
3rd Beta - 09/13/2010 2,859
I AM PREGNANT!!!
U/S - 09/22/2010

CALEB ISAAC born 5/26/11

#3 CN73

CN73
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thanks so much JennyAnne, your reply and success story mean a great deal :)

Agreed, its very personal - I'm more curious to know others routes, sometimes ppl make you see things that you didn't before.  We very briefly brought up donor sperm, however our RE doesn't think we are there ..... yet. She's as given us ALL options in terms of treatments and other ways to conceive (i.e. donor) but feels if we stick with it, it will happen.  Its hard to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I am willing to do a second round, as soon as we can save a bit to start;  In Ontario, its about $13,000.  4 cycles sounds like an incredible journey, the anxiety of having to do it again make me nauseous.  You're a strong woman and I am so happy it worked out for you and your husband :) 

#4 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

I´m not sure I agree with your RE. It seems odd to me that you are getting good quality blasts but then do not get pregnant. To me that sounds more like an implantation issue, maybe immune issue.

Our story is very similar to JennyAnnes, actually almost identical. But - we always had issues with embryo quality/not getting to Day 5 even. Most other couples with severe MFI I know of seems to have similar issues in that they do not get good quality blasts or even any blasts. I realize you did not get many but you got some. We got zero from 4 cycles.

Like JennyAnne we also miraculously got pregnant during a FET using Day 3 embryos stemming from an awful fresh cycle (hence never in the world thought that it would work). Therefore I agree - you just never know.

Altogether I still think you should maybe get a 2nd opinion and look into possible implantation issues. Best of luck to you!

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

#5 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

My DH's numbers were around your DH's numbers, and even worse motility and morphology.  We had success on our first and second cycles (have two DDs now), see my history.  By Day 5, we had 4 blasts from 13 eggs in the first cycle and 19 eggs in the second cycle.  10 eggs at your age sounds low, in my opinion.  And I believe it's usually an egg issue after Day 3?  I think that's what I read somewhere before.  You might want to do some research into this. Good luck!

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#6 JennyAnne

JennyAnne
  • Global 100+
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

Now that merry mentioned it, we never got to blast stage either. Always a transfer on day 3. So the fact that you're getting to blast stage sounds promising.

As for the amount of eggs retrieved, I know my first cycle it was in the 20's, the second cycle was only 9 but they adjusted my meds in hopes of better quality. It didn't work. I can't even remember how the third cycle went. I just remember it was the most crushing bc we got a chemical pregnancy during cycle 2 so I think I just assumed cycle 3 would work. Stupid of me.

I live in the US. Fertility treatment is usually not covered here, but my husband has awesome insurance. We had to pay thousands for medication, freezing, a procedure where they took a piece of my lining for the embryos to thrive on until day 3 -didn't work. But all of that for 4 cycles prob cost me as much as one of your cycles. It's so unfair how expensive it is on top of the emotional toll it takes on you.

TTC for 2+ years
Male factor infertility
IVF/ICSI - 11/2009 BFN (Froze 6)
IVF/ICSI - 02/2010 Chemical pg
IVF/ICSI - 05/2010 BFN
FET - 08/25/2010 transferred 3 embies
1st Beta - 09/08/2010 288.7
2nd Beta - 09/10/2010 941
3rd Beta - 09/13/2010 2,859
I AM PREGNANT!!!
U/S - 09/22/2010

CALEB ISAAC born 5/26/11

#7 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

It's not necessarily an egg issue after Day 3 (although it is often hypothesized). Reality is that it is simply hard to tell and could be both.
I don't have any IF diagnosis and had little issues getting pregnant (but had miscarriages, likely due to chromosomal issues), but our embryo quality was awful. We consulted with several REs and their consensus was that it was mist likely due to the severe MFI. But our numbers were always horrendous - never more than a few hundred count.

#8 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 477 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

My hubby has terrible swimmers....usually none at all. The ones they found were really messed up, but they used them anyways for ICSI. We did 3 rounds and never, ever made it past day 3. We always did 3-day transfers, and once even a 2-day. RE said that after day 3 the sperm genome kicks in, so he figured it was down to the sperm. Never suspected egg quality, even though I never had large numbers of eggs or follies. We moved on to donor sperm after much anguish and despair. We could only afford IUI's and got pregnant on our 3rd try. We now have a perfect 2 month old daughter.

There are soooo many variables with every cycle it seems impossible to nail down a definite cause for failure. (Who knows, if we'd kept on trying with DH's swimmers he might have a bio child, but we couldn't afford it.) I was convinced by my 3rd ICSI that I had problems with implantation and we even tried Heparin to help out. It all seems like a total crap shoot and I hope that with whatever next steps you choose you are blessed. This is a challenging road to travel and full of question marks...it all seems so unfair. I will say that the moment we got pg with donor sperm, the fact that it wasn't a bio child for DH became trivial. People even comment in how much she looks like him!

Like you, I used to doubt that I'd ever get pg. Keep the faith! I wish you tons of luck. PM me anytime if you want!
  • JennyAnne and orchid like this
<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 

#9 CN73

CN73
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

My RE said the same thing about the sperm genome kicking in at day 3; reason for the "low" egg count was minimal stimulation, my ovarian reserve is quite high for my age so RE did not want me to develop any OHSS.

I def question implantation, but like other said sometimes you just don't know as each sperm/egg make up is different. I'm so happy to hear you've all been successful in your journeys. It warms me heart knowing that a family could very well be in my future. Thanks for all your encouragement & kind words.
  • JennyAnne and smurfette_w like this

#10 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

Totally agree with Merry. If you're transferring good quality blasts it's time to ask the RE about pursuing immune testing for implantation issues.
  • ollie2013 likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Severe Male Factor, Hope