New to IVF (and just need to vent) Transfer question - IVF Ages 35+ - Forums

Jump to content

- - - - -

New to IVF (and just need to vent) Transfer question

Embryo Transfer New to IVF

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ReadyandWaiting

  • Global 100+
  • 218 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to post, but I am new to IVF and can't (won't) talk to anyone else about it. I'm 37, good egg reserve, healthy, no issues. I ovulate 'perfectly' etc etc etc. BLAH BLAH BLAH. My husband is 54 with great counts and strong swimmers but low morphology. We tried 3 cycles of IUI with injectables (clinic cancelled 2 procedures due to over stimulation - my ovaries respond too well to Gonal F) and I am now on Day 7 of stims for my first IVF. I guess I'm just already tired of it all. I never imagined I would be in this position because every woman in my family "just had to look at their husband and got pregnant"... btw, if I hear that one more time I might smash someone in the face with a frying pan. 

BUT this is my question: assuming we are successful with retrieval and I have some good contenders, how many should we transfer? I worry about two embryos splitting (we are doing ICSI), but I am concerned that transferring just one would be a waste. Twins would be OK, triplets would NOT be ok (I honesty couldn't handle high order multiples...) Anyway, wondering what others have done? What has been successful or not, what were you advised, etc. 

Any insight would be great. 

Thanks smile.png



Me:38 Hubs:54

Unexplained/possible male factor - great count and motility, borderline morphology (5%)

IUI x 3, two cancelled (over responded to Gonal F), one completed: BFN


IVF #1 August 2015 - First EVER BFP! Turned out to be a chemical... hey, at least I actually got pregnant!

FET Nov 2015 - BFP! ... another chemical 


IVF #2 April 2016 - here we go! 

ET - April 11 (2 5d blasts)

5dp5dt - th_abfp.gif on FRER

11dp5dt Beta #1 - 235

15dp5dt Beta #2 - 1320


Plus THREE high quality embryos on ice... 







#2 GabyP

  • Global 100+
  • 235 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Interafertility

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

Is a bit of a gamble and based on statistics. I remember when I was faced with the question of how many. So I considered statistics and was told that with one, there would be a 25 % chance, so I decided on two and one took. I was prepared that there was a chance that both take and that still could result in more than two. I would have opted for a reduction. Then there was the first ultrasound and I called it my " head count". I was so nervous and then there she was, nicely nestled in and it worked out.

In my case I used a 21 year old egg donor and knew that the odds were good. It is my understanding that the older the eggs, the lower the chances and therefore it is recommended to use  more. Also depends if there is a 3 day or 5 day transfer.

Not easy to make these choices and all driven by odds and no guarantees.

#3 Butterfli

  • Super Moderator
  • 843 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Sydney, Australia
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Fertility East

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi and a warm welcome to the site!
I hear the raw struggle and emotion in your post and just want to give you a cyber hug to start with!!

The question on how many embryos to transfer comes up a lot and (in my opinion) if you transfer more than one you have to be ready for multiples. We transfer two at a time and as you can see from my siggy we had two single pregnancies and a single miscarried - but believe me we were ready for sextuplets in need be lol

A friend of mine was in the same position then decided to transfer one as she did not want twins - the embryo split. In a twist of fate one twin stopped growing at 8 wks but you never know with biology. You have to take the path of least regret.

I wish you a lot of luck in your decision - not an easy one!
  • kristeen033 likes this

Me 30 DW 34 - Two mummies to be! I'll carry my wife's egg so we can blend our family


First IVF Cycle

March 2012 Fresh - BFN

April 2012 FET- BFN

May 2012 FET- BFP - M/c6w6d icon_cry.gif


Second IVF Cycle

August 31 Fresh- th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 265 (TG) 11dp3dt

Sep 8 - 2nd Beta 8751 18dp3dt

Sep 15 - 3rd Beta - 43066 25dp3dt


babyboy.gif DS is born the 4th of May 2013 and we are so smitten!


stork-baby.gifProject Sibling stork-baby.gif

Me - 32 DW - 36 DS - 1


Second IVF Cycle

April 2014 FET - BFN 


Third IVF Cycle

July 2014 Fresh - th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 105 (TG) 9dp5dt

2nd Beta 1150 14dp5dt

Third Beta 12470 21dp5dt


babyboy.gif DS is born 7th of March 2015 and he is so precious.


stork-baby.gifProject Siblingstork-baby.gif 

Planning in 2016


Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

#4 nicgro

  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London, ON
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

First off, my heart goes out to you. I know the feeling about everyone in your family being fertile myrtle.


Have you had this discussion with your doctor? I ask because, my husband and I were dead set on having 2 5-day blasts put back, or 3 3-day embryos put back in. When push came to shove, since it was my first cycle and blah blah blah, they wouldn't do it. They said 1 5-day, or 2 3-day. We also were more than alright with twins. Actually, we kinda wanted twins. Called it "one and done". We didn't really want triplets due to all the complications that could arise, but were willing to take the risk.


We weren't happy about it, but we ended up putting in 1 beautiful 5 day. Of course, it ended in a chemical pregnancy. I seen my doctor after, and told her that we were using 2 for our FET. She agreed, but then once again, when it came down to it, she would only put back 1. That time we just flat out had a BFN.


We have since switched to another clinic. We still have 3 frosties. Our new doctor said that since our old clinic does "slow freeze", he would be willing to put back 2 at a FET. He is planning on putting us in a PGS testing study for our next fresh cycle though, and will only be willing to tranfer 1 again.


So all this being said, make sure you talk to your doctor and get their opinion.


Wish you all the best :)

IVF #1

Oct 1, 2014 - 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 make it to blast

Oct 6, 2014 - Transfer 1 beautiful 4AA blast and freeze the remaining 4

Oct 15, 2014 - Start bleeding sad.png

Oct 17, 2014 - First Beta = 6   I know it's over, clinic is still trying to be positive

Oct 19, 2014 - Second Beta = 2  BFN

Oct 27, 2014 - Laparoscopy for Endo and ovarian cysts

FET #1

Feb 9, 2015 - Transfer 1 can't tell me the quality...isn't that weird?

Feb 22, 2015 - Beta = BFN sad.png

April 16, 2015 - Surgery to remove multiple uterine fibroids

Aug 24, 2015 - Take 3 month injection of Lupron Depot to try to help with endo pain/bleeding

Nov 24, 2015 - Take another 3 month injection of Lupron Depot

Feb 24, 2016 - Blood work and ultrasound. Was going to start prepping for FET, but thyroid is very low so need to increase meds before transfer

May 2, 2016 - start Estrace to prepare for FET (FET scheduled for May 18)

FET #2

May 18, 2016 - Transfer 1 blast...again not told what quality it is. Lose one blast in the thaw.

May 31, 2016 - BFN - I ask clinic what is going on and why this isn't working. They schedule me for a biopsy and sono.

June 9, 2016 - Biopsy and Sono performed. They find fibroids in my uterus and book surgery.

June 14, 2016 - Surgery to remove uterine fibroids

FET #3

September 20, 2016 - Transfer our final blast...stick baby stick

October 3, 2016 - BFN. I have never felt so broken in my life. Not sure I can continue on this journey, but must make a decision as just hours after getting my BFN, I get a call from my clinic saying that they made an error with my government funding and if I was going to continue, I must pay  everything back!!!

December 8, 2016 - Here we are again! Sono and biopsy to prepare for IVF #2 in January! They see something very small forming in my uterus, not large enough to operate on at this point though.

December 19, 2016 - Start Birth Control to prepare for next cycle.

January 7, 2017 - Have ultrasound done, everything looks good to move forward. Stop BC Pill.

IVF #2

January 23, 2017 - 12 Eggs retrieved, all mature, 7 fertilized

January 28, 2017 - Transfer 1 little 3AB blast, 5 still hanging in there and hope to freeze them tomorrow







#5 AskingAngels

  • Global 100+
  • 271 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Edmonton
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/VFC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

For me a lot of the decision comes down to how many embryos we have. I tend to get very few and would rather use 2 and move onto another fresh cycle if need be then keep going through failed single transfers (only my experience). We are okay with twins though. We've done 3 day transfers but for the first time ever we have two 5 day blasts on ice. Seeing as we have to travel I want to put both in but according to the lab they prefer to put in one due to the quality. Keep in mind we have yet to get a BFP, so take this with a grain of salt. Good luck with your decision

#6 farmwife

  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Alberta
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

It's certainly a tough choice. But there are a lot of factors to consider. # of embryos that are viable, quality of embryos, age, any other risk factors, etc.
For our cycle we transferred 2, 5 days blasts, both of good/excellent quality. I was 26 and healthy (our diagnosis was unexplained), our clinic explained the risk of twins with our embryo quality, but was still willing to support us in our choice to transfer two. In the end both took, but we lost one around 6 weeks, the other our baby boy. We have 4 embryos remaining, when we move ahead for a FET again only 1 will be going back.
We debated back and forth constantly until transfer day, go with your gut, the advice your doctor has, it's a choice that you may always wonder 'what if', good luck!
~ Sometimes even the most dusty of dirt roads lead to the most beautiful scenery~ Journey details in 'About Me'

#7 Super Mama

Super Mama
  • Member
  • 87 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

I transferred two and I have one beautiful daughter out of that. Good luck and stay strong. I was a little scared of having twins but I think now I would have gladly had twins as I'm not able to have another now.

#8 rollergirl


    Cougar Alert....loves boy toys...the younger the better!!

  • 1000+
  • 1884 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

I transferred 3 day 5 blasts and ended up with identical best of luck to you....

  • kristeen033 likes this
Me-72 DH-26 It is what it is...

#9 ReadyandWaiting

  • Global 100+
  • 218 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I have my retrieval tomorrow morning and I'm really nervous but excited... 

I'm just hoping for some really good contenders - quality over quantity. I think given the choice, I'll likely transfer two. Unless we have two 'perfect' 5 day blasts (unlikely)...  

Fingers crossed and I'll update here if anyone is curious - I've read these boards for so long and I always want to see an update (which often doesn't happen), so I'll follow through. 



Me:38 Hubs:54

Unexplained/possible male factor - great count and motility, borderline morphology (5%)

IUI x 3, two cancelled (over responded to Gonal F), one completed: BFN


IVF #1 August 2015 - First EVER BFP! Turned out to be a chemical... hey, at least I actually got pregnant!

FET Nov 2015 - BFP! ... another chemical 


IVF #2 April 2016 - here we go! 

ET - April 11 (2 5d blasts)

5dp5dt - th_abfp.gif on FRER

11dp5dt Beta #1 - 235

15dp5dt Beta #2 - 1320


Plus THREE high quality embryos on ice... 







#10 Miss_Boos

  • Global 100+
  • 272 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kitchener, ON
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Astra Fertility

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hi Ready & Waiting,


You can also join one of the buddy groups... there are a bunch of ladies there to who will be happy to listen and give support!


The August IVF is here:


Me - 39 - type 1 Diabetic (30 years), last A1C 6.8!

DH - 40 - Low Count, Low Motility

Parents to 3 wonderful fur-kids, Jade, Luna & Titan and one fur Angel, Miss you everyday Steelerheart.gif

Failed IUI February 2015

IVF # 1 - August 2015, Freeze all, mild OHSS

FET # 1 - Sept 27 transfer, BFN on October 6

FET # 2 - November 20 2015 with remaining embryo, BFN, starting Ivf #2 Late August early September

#11 EverHopefull!

  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

I had a successful IVF at 37, and had similar sounding numbers to yours, and we transferred 2 day 5 blasts.  One took and we have a son. 

Good luck!

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.


#12 Pegara

  • Global 100+
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Sask.
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:RFP - Calgary

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Our clinic would only allow one on fresh transfer because we had never done IVF before so there was no assumption that it wouldn't work. On FET however their literature says that they will allow one or two at the patient's choice.  If given the option, we would have transfered two on fresh, and will definitely be transfering two on FET.  Twins don't worry me, triplets scare me, but I know that we would make it work if we had to.  There is pressure in Canada to reduce the number of multiples born via IVF, so many clinics are limiting the number they transfer.  The chances of the embryo splitting into identicals isn't over high, so that wouldn't be my first concern, but if it really worries you, then go with your gut.  If you have lots of embryos on ice, and are healthy, then you have some time.

Me - 38, DH- 37 (both teachers)
Three furbabies - Luna, Taz, Loki
Began TTC May 2009, finally saw specialist in Nov 2010
Diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia Nov 2010, megace treatment for 18 months
May 2012 diagnosed with hyperplasia again, megace treatment for 10 months
One round Clomid October 2013
Diagnosed hyperplasia AGAIN Nov 2013, megace treatment 4 months
Rejected as patient from Aurora due to high BMI
Accepted as patient at RFP - August 2014.
First consult with RE at RFP - Oct 2014.
Three rounds of Clomid - Nov 2014, Feb & March 2015. - all BFN
IVF -July 2015 - 1 blast (5 day) transferred, 4 frozen. - BFN

#13 Arrgh

  • Just Hatched
  • 28 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Cny

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Ok readyandwaiting what did you get from your retrieval and what did you decide?
For me (in the US) they have always put back at least 3.. Until this last cycle then it was 2 but only because of the limited # of embies we had 4 but they thought one arrested.. And they were right.
FYI supposedly the odds of a blast splitting to become twins is less if assisted hatching is used.

As far as your "rant".. LMAFO.. Can I just tell you how while doing stims this round I went to a wedding and was seated at a table and beside a table of 7 pregnant women (most ready to burst).. Yep yep that was FuN! Suffice to say although no beer is allowed during this process.. That went out the window when my anxiety and irritation went through the roof.. Everyone one of them had an "oops".. LMAFO.. We all get it!

#14 allthecats

  • Member
  • 54 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:First Steps

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

I'm 38 and have had 3 failed single embryo FETs.  We are getting ready to transfer our last available embryo.  


Looking back, I think I would opt to transfer 2 instead of 1.  It would have saved us time and money.  We made the choice to do single embryo transfers because we've decided that one child is enough for us, and didn't want to risk twins.  But with my age, combined with our male factor issues, the chances of even one sticking is pretty low.  If we have to (and I hope we don't) do another round of IVF, I'll be transferring two embryos at a time. 

Me=38, DH=39. Male Factor, low count & mobility. Advanced maternal age?


IVF #1

  • March 2015: 18 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized with ICSI, 4 frozen (5-day blastocyst)
  • April 2015: Natural FET #1 (single 5BC) - BFN
  • June 2015: Natural FET #2 (single 4BC, assisted hatching) - BFN
  • July 2015: Taking time off to regroup. Did an endometrial biopsy.
  • August 2015: Natural FET #3 (single 4BC, assisted hatching) - BFN
  • September 2015: Natural FET #4 (single 4BC, assisted hatching) - BFN

Augment - October 2015


IVF #2

  • January 2016: OHIP funded IVF - 8 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI/Augment. DH now has optimal sperm, thanks to acupuncture and Chinese medicine! smile.png 8 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized with ICSI/Augment, 4 5-day blastocysts sent for PGS testing. All blastocysts were abnormal. cry.gif

#15 Arrgh

  • Just Hatched
  • 28 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Cny

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

In all previous cycles Ive had at least 3 put back.. One cycle I even had 4 3days put back.. Always a BFN.. This cycle had 2 5 day(s) one great/ one slow grower.. I too am a fan of the "one and done" idea, (@ 38 im not a fan of the idea of having to go through it all more than once) with the # they usually put back I always figured on twins (if it ever worked). My new clinic really hesitated to do 3 in a fresh transfer the first round .. But they did and BFN anyway

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Embryo Transfer, New to IVF